Ford @ NAIAS: Lincoln MKT Touring Vehicle Concept

LINCOLN UNVEILS ULTIMATE TOURING VEHICLE CONCEPT; PREMIUM UTILITY FEATURES ELEGANCE, SPACE, EFFICIENCY

* Growth opportunity: The Lincoln MKT concept shows a new potential vehicle for Lincoln, demonstrating the brand’s new design language works as well on a spacious luxury utility vehicle as it does luxury sedans like the new 2009 Lincoln MKS.

* EcoBoost power: Ford’s global solution for improving fuel economy and greenhouse gas emissions for millions of customers – EcoBoost engine technology – powers Lincoln MKT.

* Responsible luxury: The Lincoln MKT concept reaches a new level of responsible luxury with the use of more environmentally friendly materials that offer a premium look and feel.

DETROIT, Jan. 14, 2008 – Lincoln today pulls the wraps off a new premium utility concept vehicle – unsurpassed in its balance of spaciousness, comfort and fuel efficiency – that shows customers a new way to tour in style.

The Lincoln MKT concept features a 3.5-liter V-6 EcoBoost engine with turbocharging and direct injection that produces the power and torque of a V-8 engine with the fuel efficiency of a V-6. EcoBoost – combined with advanced transmissions, electric power steering, weight reductions and aerodynamic improvements – is a key part of Ford Motor Company’s vehicle sustainability strategy.

The company is introducing EcoBoost engines that will deliver up to 20 percent better fuel economy on half a million Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles annually in North America within the next five years. Ford will first introduce EcoBoost in the Lincoln MKS next year. The luxury sedan will feature a 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged V-6, delivering an estimated 340-horsepower and more than 340 lb.-ft. of torque on regular gas.

“EcoBoost engines can deliver better fuel economy and performance on a full range of vehicles, from small cars to large trucks,” said Mark Fields, president of The Americas. “The Lincoln MKT concept offers the comfort of a luxury sedan, the spaciousness and flexibility of a full-size utility and the performance of a sporty roadster – executed with new technologies and materials that make it as environmentally friendly as it is elegant.

“The Lincoln MKT concept is understated but powerful – inside, outside and under the hood.”

Full Press Release

Images

lincolnmktconcept02mrri3.jpg

lincolnmktconcept03tj3.jpg

lincolnmktconcept05gp3.jpg

lincolnmktconcept42hrrk4.jpg

lincolnmktconcept09jk5.jpg

Edited by mustang84

wow, that first shot of the car in motion is stunning. This car can raise the transaction prices of Lincoln, if they spend the money in the right places, i.e. interior..........and then price it at ~$50k. This is a great R-class competitor. It needs the right engines, the right interior [which looks fab in this version], to command that price. But this is solid. The rear isn't right however. the don't need to follow the MKR theme so closely at the rear. but maybe it works better in real life.

at first glance... i loved it... then about a second later it started going downhill...

interior is nice tho! and i actually like the grill setup they've been using on their concepts for a while now... but not in this application... looked awesome on the MKR tho

upon looking further i have figured out exactly what is wrong with this... because i keep feeling like it should look really good but refuses to... basically whats going on is that the beltline and such is too high off the wheels... seriously, look at the car, then imagine if the top of the hood and the hips were a few inches lower... basically its just too tall from wheels to beltline, take some of that space out and itll look really good... i promise.

dont believe me? then chop it and see what happens... im curious as well haha

Edited by 04monteintimidator

Not diggin it. Not diggin this whole design direction at Lincoln.

"Lincoln: Now with more Baleen Whale look!"

Well.... Designing cars after fish certainly helped GM in the 60's

And apparently designing them after bloated dolphins and small whales is helping Toyota now.

So why not? :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

There are some really great details and things, but like some have said, the grille needs to be toned down a little and a lower beltline would probably look better. I love the side upkick.

Check this out...someone from BON photoshopped it to make the beltline lower and it looks much cooler. It has sort of a sport wagon look. I think the biggest problem is the lack of the rear bumper and the large expanse of flat rear sheet metal. A bumper will help break that up. But overall, they are on the right track.

Lincoln2.jpg

Lincolnwagon.jpg

I actually really like it. The concept behind the "T" in "MKT" is touring, and this is supposed to be a big, powerful, long-distance, continent-crossing "grand tourer", like a 2+2 GT. The production version would probably be a 2+2+2, with all-weather capabilities to boot.

It's a concept explored by the R-class (production version of Merc's Grand Sports Tourer concept) and the X6 (all-weather 2+2 GT).

It's really a different kind of luxury and style that doesn't rely on conventional proportions or traditional materials. The interior is luxurious in a very light, airy, and comforting way. It strays from the shiny woods and ruched upholstery, the automotive equivalent of neoclassical pillars, crown moldings, leather armchairs, and velvet curtains. Lincoln is fighting back the Teutonic insistence on gentleman's lounge luxury interiors, by designing something less formal and more contemporary.

haha! that photoshopped pic with the lower beltline has proven my point! i shall now take a victory lap and then sit down, sigh, and wish Lincoln had noticed that before releasing the concept...

Love it. Very "Lincoln-y", very "old money". Solidly elegant. Love the strong shoulder line with the kickup suggesting the '61 Continental. Love the horizontal taillamp cluster (it is missing the "spare tire hump", but that's perfectly ok with me), love the double-shield grille. Overall it conveys an essence of Lincoln design that is recognizable and good. I certainly hope this vehicle makes it to the showroom more intact than the MKS did.

this is kind of like when you see a newborn for the first time and its not all that attractive.

i kind of don't know what to say. needs a lot of help in many ways even if i kind of can see what they are trying to do.

bottom line is, is this concept only? I don't think Lincoln needs to waste time with this when they do not have a REAL town car, or when they need to get out a new entry lux car to freshen the mkz.

everyone from carmakers to NFL teams looking for a coach are looking for 'game changers'. In this case, we have a reach, until they fix the styling, inside and out.

A restyle of the rear end would do wonders for this. It's too saggy the way it is. The rest of the exterior is nice.

Don't much care for the interior, but Lincoln has mercifully abandoned those hideous square gauges in this one.

It's hideous. If you think it's just the angles....

The only thing stunning about it is the interior, which looks like it ripped out of the MKR.

I agree with you, Cory.

I find this thing NASTY. Lincoln has TRULY lost it's way.

I'd rather see a rebadged Flex than I would this thing......

Cadillac may not be perfect, but it's GUARANTEED they are making the Lincoln product-planners very nervous these days. I say good ridance to Lincoln....and none too soon. (I wish that I didn't have to say good ridance.)

Sigh... this design language was so stunning beautiful on the MKR concept, I can only be disappointed to see it vertically stretched into an SUV-ish proportion.

Now... if I had never seen the MKR, about the only thing other than the slightly too-tall proportion of this is... I really dislike the rear quarter kick-up at the beltline, esp from the front 3/4-view. Otherwise, it's quite expressive.

Oh, and there's not an ounce of 2nd-gen Seville in it for me.