'08 Charger Rental

So.....was in Phoenix today for two meetings and was graced with an '08 Charger rental....800 miles on it....with the <groan> 2.7L V6 engine. This was a base car with cloth, no moonroof, and vinyl covering the steering wheel.

I'm reminded of why I like the LX cars. Even in this (very) base trim, this car's overall package is hard to beat. The chassis is solid and tight as a drum, and even the base car goes around corners with almost NO body lean and a complete lack of float on the highway. What about the small V6? Let's just say it's a dog....BUT....if you drive the car like most normal people do, it's quiet, mannerly, and at light-to-part throttle, offers more than enough power for everyday use. Let's say if I was buying one, it would be HEMI all the way. But if I got stuck with one as a company car, I wouldn't mind this 2.7L V6. The car is slow, but it revs pretty cleanly.....and only gets growly if you hold it to redline. Not as torquey as, say, an Impala 3.5L, but believe it or not, much more mannerly at anything up to 3/4 throttle.

The 4-speed auto is quick to downshift....helping to compensate for the 2.7L's lack of power. However, the powertrain would be that much better with an extra gear or two. In general, this 4-speed if fine....but sometimes offers up a harsh shift or two....not quite as mannerly as GM's 4-speed 4T65-E.

The interior, to me, shows that a base car doesn't have to FEEL like a base car. I like the simple, yet durable-feeling cloth covering the seats....and the seats themselves are firm and supportive. I also like the very simple, easy-to-use HVAC and radio controls....and absolutely LOVE the "Benz" overly-large, downward-tilting turn-signal lever! LOL. The steering is quick AND responsive and gives a good feel for the road. And finally, this is the ONE Chrysler offering that still gives you better-than-expected interior finish with materials that aren't to be found on any other Chrysler product. Why? I don't know. The &#036;h&#33; in the Avenger/Sebring (and everything else for that matter) makes me want to gag.

Obviously I didn't have much time in the car....but did have a mix of freeway and city driving.....and I'm reminded why I like the LX cars so much. This car feels and drives SO much better than an Impala (or any other W-car) it's not even funny. It's nice to be in a "base" car and see the basics so well nailed. Makes me long for a HEMI version!

I REALLY hope Cerebus doesn't screw up the next LX cars........!

Sounds like you liked that Charger ;).

I had an '07 Charger for my road trip last year ... and loved it (except for the color):

http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/1106/DSC07616r8_jpg.html

Mine had the 2.7 V6, too, and it seemed OK.

If I do get one, I'd rather have at least the 3.5 V6....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

CDshowcase=www.WRMN1410.com*SATURDAY.january19*2p-5p.and.8p-11p.CENTRAL

"Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us" ... Mat Kearney ... 'Nothing Left To Lose'

my LX magnum was a fun drive. i would be a lot more interested in the charger if its styling wasn't disagreeable and its interior, bad. hate the cruise and turn signals on the LX's. the LX's best attributes are taking the traditional amurchan car experience (long wide RWD chassis) and adding good road manners and suspension and drive feel to it for somewhat agreeable prices.

my LX magnum was a fun drive. i would be a lot more interested in the charger if its styling wasn't disagreeable and its interior, bad. hate the cruise and turn signals on the LX's. the LX's best attributes are taking the traditional amurchan car experience (long wide RWD chassis) and adding good road manners and suspension and drive feel to it for somewhat agreeable prices.

It should please you to know that the Cruise Control has been fixed and is in a more normal place.

The LX's are still the best vehicles Chrysler makes, with the exception of the upcoming Ram it seems, and maybe the Wrangler and discontinued Pacifica. I'm gonna miss the Magnum, I'll be sure to pick one up sed someday.

As an engine, the 2.7L really isn't that bad. It sounds relatively good and is pretty smooth through most of teh Rev range. It's no powerhouse but for base engine it's ok. As long as they fixed the issues that plagued the LH models it's a decent motor. I'd go for at least the 3.5L though. Reasonable fuel economy and good power plus another gear in the tranny.

The LX's have their flaws, but I think they're the best values out there in sedans.

The interior issues are present, but to me those are only a problem if you elect to spend 35k+ on the highline versions of these vehicles.

Otherwise, with the dumbing down of the Japanese sedans' interior quality across the board, the LX trips are really not THAT bad. Additionally, the Magnum is still a badass wagon---I'll be sorry to see it go, if it was given more reasonable sales projections, it certainly would have been considered more successful.

The LX's have their flaws, but I think they're the best values out there in sedans.

The interior issues are present, but to me those are only a problem if you elect to spend 35k+ on the highline versions of these vehicles.

Otherwise, with the dumbing down of the Japanese sedans' interior quality across the board, the LX trips are really not THAT bad. Additionally, the Magnum is still a badass wagon---I'll be sorry to see it go, if it was given more reasonable sales projections, it certainly would have been considered more successful.

If Chrysler was willing to cut me a deal on a 3.5L AWD 2008 magnum that I could afford, I would be very open to that.......

I agree the LXs are pretty nice vehicles. I had never really sat in one at all, but I took an AWD 300C out today. Felt nice and looked even better. The interior materials could've been better, but I won't complain. Great pick up and felt like it would handle well if I wanted to jerk around with it. The Hemi sounds nice and was smoother than I expected.

funny that REG mentioned the styling as one of the factors against the Magnum. Magnum has poor poor visibility and even worse cargo room, in a wagon that's almost a death knell. But the Magnum initially sold for its cool factor, like a new Mustang would. I thought the Magnum was initially stylish, and I thought the Charger in the right trim could look good, but the impact has worn off and what remains is a gaudy package, in my book. I still think they can both look good with the right mods, but what you usually see are the 3.5s running around that look like tanks running around on those ugly base wheels.

In any case the point I'm trying to make is thier styling appeal was/is limited. Then you have a complete lack of practicality with the Magnum, which inherently wagon buyers are looking for practicality, safeness, and maybe a bit of luxury. So automatically traditional wagon/x-over/SUV buyers are out of the pool. then who is buying this car? clearly the buyers have dwindled, and it was more of an impulse buyers' car, and not necessarily someone who needed the utility, but someone who could benefit from its occasional use. Someone who is migrating from a minivan, SUV, or whatever would take the care to notice this Magnum wasn't much of a practical vehicle.

So what is it I'm saying? The business case for the Magnum does nothing for a more practically designed, more elegant, better driving, more efficient G8 wagon. Especially not if the business case called for a G8 SW that was low volume.

Edited by turbo200

C'mon REG, the Magnum is a very butch looking beast! It would look very masculine, parked on Church St., next to all the Miatas and Civics. :P

The outside is hot, it's the low ceiling/high beltline inside that is freaky. Not to mention - how the hell are you supposed to have sex in the back with that low, tapering roof line? That was the only reason I bought my '91 Caprice back in '91: the 7' bed and lots of head room. (No pun intended.)

funny that REG mentioned the styling as one of the factors against the Magnum. Magnum has poor poor visibility and even worse cargo room, in a wagon that's almost a death knell. But the Magnum initially sold for its cool factor, like a new Mustang would. I thought the Magnum was initially stylish, and I thought the Charger in the right trim could look good, but the impact has worn off and what remains is a gaudy package, in my book. I still think they can both look good with the right mods, but what you usually see are the 3.5s running around that look like tanks running around on those ugly base wheels.

In any case the point I'm trying to make is thier styling appeal was/is limited. Then you have a complete lack of practicality with the Magnum, which inherently wagon buyers are looking for practicality, safeness, and maybe a bit of luxury. So automatically traditional wagon/x-over/SUV buyers are out of the pool. then who is buying this car? clearly the buyers have dwindled, and it was more of an impulse buyers' car, and not necessarily someone who needed the utility, but someone who could benefit from its occasional use. Someone who is migrating from a minivan, SUV, or whatever would take the care to notice this Magnum wasn't much of a practical vehicle.

So what is it I'm saying? The business case for the Magnum does nothing for a more practically designed, more elegant, better driving, more efficient G8 wagon. Especially not if the business case called for a G8 SW that was low volume.

Hahaha

Perpetual inaccuracies IMO.

Who is buying the Magnums?

WE DID.

We love it. Not hard to see out of, we don't have "poor poor visibilty at all. "Complete lack of practicality"...? Nope. It's practical, it hauls alot more than it looks like it could haul, we've done it many a time, building materials, TVs, you name it.

I would say VERY practical, ours is a 5.7 Hemi, it's very good on gas considering the power available ( 5 speed and MDS) and it's extremely comfortable on long trips.

Toss THIS in your little tiny Volvo...

:AH-HA_wink:

4119461-tvtoolin.jpg

Actually I think the Charger is a Hot, Hot automobile-there are six vehicles at lest that Chrysler has gotten dead right-Challenger, Charger, 300, Wrangler, Ram, and Viper.

Hahaha

Perpetual inaccuracies IMO.

Who is buying the Magnums?

WE DID.

We love it. Not hard to see out of, we don't have "poor poor visibilty at all. "Complete lack of practicality"...? Nope. It's practical, it hauls alot more than it looks like it could haul, we've done it many a time, building materials, TVs, you name it.

I would say VERY practical, ours is a 5.7 Hemi, it's very good on gas considering the power available ( 5 speed and MDS) and it's extremely comfortable on long trips.

Toss THIS in your little tiny Volvo...

:AH-HA_wink:

4119461-tvtoolin.jpg

LIES!!! IT HAZ LESS ROOM TAN A ECHO!!!

• 5 weeks later...

I noticed that the 08 Charger and 300 with the 2.7 engine are now downrated to only 178 HP. This engine started out with 200 HP in 1998 then was downgraded to 190 in the Magnum and 300C, then down to 189 HP in the 2008 Sebring and Avenger and now 178 for the Charger and 300. You would think that Chrysler would be trying to find ways to upgrade this engine or at least keep it consistent with it's 1998 editions. I remember having my dads 1999 Lumina 160 HP 3100 V6 and my buddy had a 2007 Charger 2.7 190 Hp rental and we raced from light to light and I always beat him by a full car length each time! And the Lumina has over 150K miles on it! Weight seems to be the issue with these cars and sticking the 4 speed automatic in 2.7 base cars and now RWD 3.5 SXT's is really hurting this car even further. I drove a 2007 magnum SXT wagon with the 3.5 and 5 speed automatic and that tranny really kept that engine in it's powerband. Now granted the 2.7/4 speed automatic is probably fine for the proverbial old lady going to the store but I would have liked to see Chrysler keep the 200 HP rating and stick a 5 speed automatic as std equipment for a few extra hundred bucks. As for the rest of the car, I always liked the styling of the Charger and applaud Chrysler for baking up something different than the rental car generic look of a CamCord or Sonata. This car is very powerfull looking, despite the lackluster 2.7 underhood on most rental cars, rides awesome and has very good handling and stability. The interior has a few quirks but is roomy and comfortable and the trunk is plenty big enough. I would consider the RWD SXT model with the 3.5 but it now comes with only the 4 speed automatic. They should at least make the 5 speed an option.

Edited by ponchoman49

I noticed that the 08 Charger and 300 with the 2.7 engine are now downrated to only 178 HP. This engine started out with 200 HP in 1998 then was downgraded to 190 in the Magnum and 300C, then down to 189 HP in the 2008 Sebring and Avenger and now 178 for the Charger and 300. You would think that Chrysler would be trying to find ways to upgrade this engine or at least keep it consistent with it's 1998 editions. I remember having my dads 1999 Lumina 160 HP 3100 V6 and my buddy had a 2007 Charger 2.7 190 Hp rental and we raced from light to light and I always beat him by a full car length each time! And the Lumina has over 150K miles on it! Weight seems to be the issue with these cars and sticking the 4 speed automatic in 2.7 base cars and now RWD 3.5 SXT's is really hurting this car even further. I drove a 2007 magnum SXT wagon with the 3.5 and 5 speed automatic and that tranny really kept that engine in it's powerband. Now granted the 2.7/4 speed automatic is probably fine for the proverbial old lady going to the store but I would have liked to see Chrysler keep the 200 HP rating and stick a 5 speed automatic as std equipment for a few extra hundred bucks. As for the rest of the car, I always liked the styling of the Charger and applaud Chrysler for baking up something different than the rental car generic look of a CamCord or Sonata. This car is very powerfull looking, despite the lackluster 2.7 underhood on most rental cars, rides awesome and has very good handling and stability. The interior has a few quirks but is roomy and comfortable and the trunk is plenty big enough. I would consider the RWD SXT model with the 3.5 but it now comes with only the 4 speed automatic. They should at least make the 5 speed an option.

From what I've heard the 2.7 was retuned for more low-end torque and in the process lost some HP. It did have an even 200 hp in the LH cars. I agree that the 5-speed automatic should at least be optional on the LX's and 6-speed optional on the Sebring/Avenger. Still, the ntire linup of V6's is supposed to be replaced by the Phoenix family V6's so maybe they figure leave them as is until the new engines arrive.

TThe Lumina no doubt ways considerably less than the bigger Charger. Most newer cars even in the same size class way more than their predecessors anyway.

Edited by Dodgefan

From what I've heard the 2.7 was retuned for more low-end torque and in the process lost some HP. It did have an even 200 hp in the LH cars. I agree that the 5-speed automatic should at least be optional on the LX's and 6-speed optional on the Sebring/Avenger. Still, the ntire linup of V6's is supposed to be replaced by the Phoenix family V6's so maybe they figure leave them as is until the new engines arrive.

TThe Lumina no doubt ways considerably less than the bigger Charger. Most newer cars even in the same size class way more than their predecessors anyway.

I just had a Grand Prix for a day as a rental while the CTS was getting serviced. My SINCERE apologies to the GP fans on here......but the car was a travesty of everything bad from General Motors in the last 20 years.

It was in stark contrast to the Charger....which felt decades ahead (gutless 2.7L aside.)

Actually, the 2.7L in the Charger I had was more refined and sportier-feeling than the 3800 in the GP....but it was nowhere near as quick as the GP (as you would expect.) The 3800 just groaned and groaned anytime you dipped into the throttle. It still has good punch to this day.....3800 ALWAYS had good punch....it just sounds and feels so archaic whenever you call upon the power.

The interior was terrible....with really crappy fit-and-finish, a very uncomfortable driving position (I don't remember this being an issue with any W-car I've driven????) and tacky styling overtones everywhere you looked. (Why do the round air vents themselves have to be surrounded by bulging dash plastic????)

The suspension felt sport-sedan stiff on road ripples and bumps.....yet floated like a Buick over pavement dips...!?!? Bending it through an on-ramp, it just understeered grossly (where's that sport-sedan stiff composure) and I could get the inside tire to spin and squeal just by squeezing the throttle mid-way through the on-ramp.

This car screamed rental-queen.

I guess my point in all this GP bashing.....is that Dodge may very well sell just as many Chargers to rental fleets.....BUT....even the most basic, stark Charger feels like a quality piece....and is an enjoyable drive. I'm sure I'd prolly like a V8 GXP alot more....but the base GP is a total turd.

That's been GM's problems.....you can't "polish a turd." Looks like they are learning though....based upon C&D's really positive comments on the L4 Malibu......

Edited by The O.C.

it's your fault for spoiling yourself with those German Audis :AH-HA_wink:

you're comparing cars much cheaper with more expensive ones, you know like 25k ones to 30k ones. you're lucky that gran prix is so large to save you in a car crash, compared with those tiny German cars, I could run those cars over. I find the gran prix seats and cloth fabric elegant, and the interior is just fine for daily purposes.

Edited by turbo200