Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

HHHHHR SS

ocnblu

Last night, I priced out an HHR SS with limited slip, upgraded speaker system, and performance driver's seat :huh:

There are quite a few showing up at Chevy.com's "Find a Chevy" button at area dealerships. I think I'll be doing some driving this weekend, trying to find a few of these hot little babies to ogle. :scratchchin:

Get an HHR SS panel!

Well, I went to three dealerships today... the first two didn't have theirs on the lot yet. Third dealership (in a very small town about 20 miles from my house, at which my dad and grandfather bought several cars going back 4 decades) had theirs up on a turntable... black with the black and red interior... but an autotragic transmission. I parked the Sierra, got out, and watched it spin for a few minutes. Very, very cool looking. The guy offered to take it down and I accepted.

Part of the test drive route found me dodging "road apples" (horse manure from Amish). Even with the automatic, the little 2.0L Turbo pulls like a freight train, similar to the nice, torquey feel of my VW 1.8t. First thing I noticed when I got in on it was the tug of torque steer, yes, it is slight, but noticeable, especially after getting out of my RWD truck. It rides nice, even with the 18" rims and sport suspension. The brakes are strong. I did not care for the red interior trim, it seemed tacky. I'd like to see an Ebony/Brick combo in this vehicle. Visibility is fine, imo, that was a concern I had with the small windows, but no worries there.

When we got back, they got on the computer and spec'd out the exact vehicle I'd want. Imperial Blue, with all-Ebony interior. $23,880 MSRP, which includes a Pioneer 7-speaker sound system, performance driver's seat, and limited-slip differential as options. They told me they could sell it to me for $23,120, not much off MSRP, imo. It would be a factory order, just like my last 3 vehicles.

They complimented me on the Sierra, remarking about the Triple-Tred tires and the Flowmaster sound. They are supposed to "shop" my truck for offers and call me sometime Monday. It is a sweet little vehicle, fun, economical (21/28 with auto), yet utilitarian. I am thinking about it, I told the salesguy I'd make up my mind within 2 weeks.

Go for it.

Trust me, as someone who (well, mom did, but that's still pretty direct, for me) went from a Suburban to a new Malibu and hasn't missed it yet...unless you often load your truck bed with junk, you won't either. Really...why do you drive a truck? That's the question you have to ask, and base the decision here on out on the answer.

What you will come to love, if you HHR, is the tighter, lighter feel, great design inside and out, and 4-cyl zippiness and economy (AND, in this case, turbo boost!).

As for the price you quoted...what was that in relation to invoice? That's the kicker, as on newer GM vehicles, the spread between invoice and MSRP is VERY slim, and there are often no incentives. Case in point, our Malibu. MSRP was $23,770, and invoice was $22,830 (less than a $1k spread). With our deal of $200 over invoice, final price was $23,030. Seemed slim compared to the old days of our $10,000 discount (correct, to the penny) off our Suburban...but that's because the MSRP's are much more in line now.

I've had a thing for Ecotec equipped GM's ever since my rental...and after getting mom into a Malibu with one, I'm still itching to drive something like a cool little HHR, especially the hot new SS version. I might not be able to return, like you.

What's the small dealer by the way? I'm very close by, have some free time...and would LOVE to at least see an HHR SS :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by caddycruiser

John Sauder Chevrolet in New Holland, PA.

Ah...I know the name, but have never been there. Maybe :scratchchin:

As I said above, is this more that the new HHR SS is just "cool", or have you also really been reconsidering your daily driver pickup?

Edited by caddycruiser

I was reconsidering it before the accident, more so after the accident, even though it is running perfectly and looks fine. One of my New Year's Resolutions was to spend less on a vehicle... well, at $23,120 plus T&T, it would be darn close to my current payments with the downpayment I have in mind. A 2LT 2.4L with 5 speed would be $4000 cheaper after discount and current rebate.

A Cobalt 2LT 5 speed coupe at $17,080 MSRP could probably be purchased for around $15,800 after all discounts.

I only owe $16,700 on the Sierra, I believe Edmunds pegs it at $21k "private party value", if I decide to sell it myself like I did my Colorado.

I just filled up the truck today, and between the snow the other night (crawling in snarled, slow moving traffic) and 100% urban driving in general this tank... 13.96 mpg.

seems like maybe they could budge a bit more on price. these things may sell hot at first, but cars all over will be stockpiled on lots in 2008 begging to have offers on them.

get the stick. get the ss.

another caution....don't expect much more than 20mpg. I know its a big improvement over the p/u but nonetheless not a lot of compacts with pumped up engines get major mpg benefits.

plus, camaro is on the horizon.

Edited by regfootball

Yeahbut, I bet the only people who will get that excellent mileage v. power ratio are the old ladies who will never spool up the turbocharger. My 5.3L Sierra is so addictive, I just love to make my pipes blow... but it is breaking my piggy bank.

I got quotes from my insurance agent for Cobalt and HHR 2LTs, each are about $100 cheaper per year to insure than my Sierra. I will pull a VIN off the Chevy website for an SS, call her with it, and see how it compares, ratewise.

Go for it 'blu. Its unlikely you'll regret it. SS>2LT>Cobalt

Stupid gas prices ultimately killed the prospect of getting a Wrangler. My payments would have been about $50/month more (thats fine) and my insurance would have been roughly $30/month more (sucks, but whatever) but the killer was that I get 28mpg in the Fusion, its unlikely that I would get better than 14 regularly in a Wrangler. I can go a week on $40 of gas easily, over the course of a year doubling that would be killer, an extra $2k out of my pocket.

Edited by Satty

Not to get personal, but Blu, are you a big guy or a normal guy? I am a big guy and am comfy in the HHR until someone else is in it. Then it gets tight for me and the kids. I love these little trucks and would buy one in a heartbeat if I fit in the seats a bit better. I noticed the seats seam to be normal sized in the SS versus the standard seats in the HHR. Is this the feeling you got in the SS? I would love one. Maybe even an SS panel with the company logo on it!

Does the Turbo engine also (I would expect it to) run on Premium gas? If so, that could also be something to consider.

But all things considered, the situation you're in now is EXACTLY like us with the Suburban. We all loved the truck, but between mom for some time wishing she could step down in her payments and also liking a lot of cool, new cars, it was inevitable. First was the Enclave, but on second consideration and after my rental, she decided on something she thought she could never do--moving to a sedan. The Malibu not only allowed her to get something hot, new, and cool, but to have a much more manageable and sporty daily driver that got better gas mileage, had fun new buttons to play with, AND let her have a new payment almost $100 less a month.

It all comes down to what works for you. If you really, and often, need and use the pickup truck, that could be important. If not, and it's really just a once in a blue moon thing and has become daily driver overkill AND you're really attracted to a lot of cool, new vehicles, that could be a very worthy move.

You know, I didn't ask, but I just checked at fueleconomy.gov, and it says the 2.0L Turbo is rated for 21/29 with 5 speed, and uses regular fuel. The 2.4L recommends premium.

Yes, which I think is off, because GM changed that "recommends premium" thing on the 2.4L--at least on other vehicles--to no longer say that. Our Malibu, for example, says regular, and there was talk about this on some Saturn forums. Others still seem to say premium for the 2.4L...it's a mish-mash depending on what is printed for what vehicle, on what site :rolleyes:

Common sense would say the 2.2L and 2.4L both would be regular, and the 2.0L Turbo would have to be premium...unless they've really made some kind of changes that would allow the latter to be otherwise. Fueleconomy.gov usually has good information, but I wouldn't necessarily trust it here, just based on intuition and information elsewhere.

Go for it 'blu. Its unlikely you'll regret it. SS>2LT>Cobalt

Stupid gas prices ultimately killed the prospect of getting a Wrangler. My payments would have been about $50/month more (thats fine) and my insurance would have been roughly $30/month more (sucks, but whatever) but the killer was that I get 28mpg in the Fusion, its unlikely that I would get better than 14 regularly in a Wrangler. I can go a week on $40 of gas easily, over the course of a year doubling that would be killer, an extra $2k out of my pocket.

i've kinda thought recently of getting a fusion w/ stick when my 500 lease is up. 28 mpg is good for a mid size, and not far off what the better compacts actually get.

blu, there is bound to be a bunch of supercharged SS cobalts left in the pipeline. Ion redlines too. with BIG discounts.

Edited by regfootball

If you do that reg, you'd be taking a hit in interior space. Its not so much that the Fusion is small, but the 500 is huge inside. Its fine for 2 people plus a child seat easy, any more than that you probably dont want to be using it for a week-long vacation, especially if the people up front are long-legged, rear seat room gets a bit cramped. The trunk holds a pretty good amount too.