Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Isn't it time all countries drove on the right side of the road?

Think how much easier it would be for automakers to make cars if every country drove on the right side of the road.

Countries in red drive on the right side of the road, those in blue drive on the left side of the road. Most countries drive on the right side of the road. The majority of the countries that drive on the left side of the road are relics from the old British Empire.

countriesdrivingontheleii9.jpg

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Can you imagine all the car wrecks that would happen in the old UK colonial club if they did switch it all over to driving on the left side of the car, right side of the road. Wow. On a much bigger scale, imagiine the infrastructure changes that would need to be made. It would cost a fortune, and what would people with the old style cars do with the switch? They'd be all messed up. Everyone would have to relearn how to drive.

Guest YellowJacket894
The installed user base and infrastructure changes required are too large, as you well know. Some countries switched from one to the other in the early days of the automobile, but it's too late now for most.

And another bad idea crashes and burns.

Edited by YellowJacket894

And how do you propose you force this change on these countries?

Sweden did it. I believe in the 70s. He does have a point. Not only would it save money. but it would increase saftey, as those visiting that country would have less issues.

I've drivin on the wrong side in India. Fun, but not so smart. Besides, it just doesn't make sense. Most people in the world are right handed. Why would you use your left hand to change gears?

Guest YellowJacket894
Just because you have a personal issue with me, doesn't make it a bad idea. It is still a great idea. It's time to put the last vestiges of the British Empire behind us and move as world to create road rules that are the same though out the planet.

I don't have a personal issue with you, Custom, and I'm not saying you don't have a point. I was just saying it was a bad idea for the reasons griffon listed. And not only that, you would have to have every other automaker make the switch, as well as spend a large sum of money to change the infrastructure. And GM alone is supposed to start this shift how? If GM was the only automaker offering nothing but left-hand drive vehicles in, say, the U.K, don't you think it would hurt sales as people would just go to another automaker that offered right-hand drive?

If everyone would make the shift at once, it could work. But from the way I see it, I don't think it can.

Edited by YellowJacket894

one thing to consider... it's not like RHD vehicles are incompatible with roads where you drive on the right. Sure, there are reasons it's better to have the other design, but it's not like everyone would HAVE to buy a new car because of a switch. On a global level, it sounds good. Some areas (those african countries for example) would not have a hard time at all switching - it would be pretty much all signs aside from a handful of city roads. Starting there would help pressure the more developed countries later.

Think how much easier it would be for automakers to make cars if every country drove on the right side of the road.

Countries in red drive on the right side of the road, those in blue drive on the left side of the road. Most countries drive on the right side of the road. The majority of the countries that drive on the left side of the road are relics from the old British Empire.

countriesdrivingontheleii9.jpg

I thought you meant 'right' as in opposed to 'wrong', with the UK being wrong of course :P

EDIT - I didn't know all those countries that drive on the left side of the road vote Democrat :smilewide:

Edited by ZL-1

EDIT - I didn't know all those countries that drive on the left side of the road vote Democrat :smilewide:

If that map was actually representative of that, I would freak out. And fly my ass to Australia.

Just because you have a personal issue with me, doesn't make it a bad idea. It is still a great idea. It's time to put the last vestiges of the British Empire behind us and move as world to create road rules that are the same though out the planet.

You are a terminal conformist.

The ship for this idea sailed at the dawning of a worldwide auto industry.

:lol:

There are many shades of both blue and red, and not all are pretty.

This is very true. I am very much a liberal, but with every liberal position I have, I generally take the most conservative position within it. I get annoyed by the psycho pseudo-nazi liberals just as much as I can't stand easily herded moral majority neo-cons. :-P

Getting back to the topic at hand, I don't see why the world shouldn't conform to our standards. After all, we are he freest and most moral nation on earth.

I can't see a country like Japan switching "easily".

Japan would surely be against it: it helps keep foreign makes out of their protected turf, no?

This idea makes a lot of sense, especially as business people and tourists mix and mingle the world over. I have driven in the Bahamas a few times and it is scary - actually, walking in the Bahamas is scary! Clearly, since the majority of coutries drive on the right, it would make sense for England, Japan, etc. to make the changes.

But while we are at it, why don't we post a map of countries that use metric, versus those on the ANCIENT, OUT-DATED Imperial system and suggest those changes, too? :duck:

But while we are at it, why don't we post a map of countries that use metric, versus those on the ANCIENT, OUT-DATED Imperial system and suggest those changes, too? :duck:

I agree. The automotive manufacturing world has pretty much converted, as have a lot of manufacturing categories. Makes trade easier. I would guess the largest industry that would drag it's feet is construction.

I agree. The automotive manufacturing world has pretty much converted, as have a lot of manufacturing categories. Makes trade easier. I would guess the largest industry that would drag it's feet is construction.

My grade 13 Physics teacher (yeah, we still had 13 grades in the late '70s) made us use Imperial for an entire week as a way of making us appreciate Metric. Yikes. Ounces, pounds, inches? Awful.

Canada 'converted' in 1975, but the laws were softened in the '90s. It is hard for old farts to get used to, but truly it is easier once you get used to it. Factors of 10 are much easier (just slide the decimal) than factors of 12.

Besides, 16 cm sounds MUCH better than 6", no? :lol:

After all, we are he freest and most moral nation on earth.

Oh wow....

Not to mention convert everyone to Christianity.

The Crusades of the new millenium!!

I'm not setting foot on other slippery slopes this suggests.

I think the most important change to make would be for the Department of Transportation to do as the food industry has already done.

SPEED

LIMIT

55 mph

89 km/h

Philedelphia 29mi / 46.5 km

New York 168mi / 270 km

From there, people will slowly but surely become subconsciously aware of the relation between the two.

The weather stations should take a different approach and flat-out discard Fahrenheit. Just one morning, start reporting everything in Celsius. People will figure it out after a while.

Yeah, cars like the Odyssey Touring even have 235-710R 460 tires.

The world would be a very boring place if we all did things the same way.

Basix....any wish for things to be homogeneous is simply foolish.

Differences "keep the planet interesting" (I forgot where I got that quote)

I have an idea.. let's convert all people to a single race and orientation, all beliefs to a single religion, all language to a single language, all nations to a single ruler, all cars to a single make, size, and color, all homes to single style, etc. etc. Anything that doesn't fit our ideals will be destroyed or executed. The world will be pure.

I have an idea.. let's convert all people to a single race and orientation, all beliefs to a single religion, all language to a single language, all nations to a single ruler, all cars to a single make, size, and color, all homes to single style, etc. etc. Anything that doesn't fit our ideals will be destroyed or executed. The world will be pure.

We've never (successfully) tried it before, why not do it now!

Damn, Hitler would have one hell of a time singling out people now. We're so much more diverse in this world now, and *gasp* there are gay people and they're fighting for their own equal rights! Just think, when WWII occurred, blacks didn't really have any rights here in the US, and now there's a huge gay and lesbian movement.. Crazy how the world progresses, isn't it?

I think the most important change to make would be for the Department of Transportation to do as the food industry has already done.

SPEED

LIMIT

55 mph

89 km/h

Philedelphia 29mi / 46.5 km

New York 168mi / 270 km

From there, people will slowly but surely become subconsciously aware of the relation between the two.

The weather stations should take a different approach and flat-out discard Fahrenheit. Just one morning, start reporting everything in Celsius. People will figure it out after a while.

Well... 89 km/h? I would hope they'd write "90" even though it's not an exact translation. And you know there would be morons driving 90 mph claiming they misunderstood the sign. At that point they should be deported.

Finally, I'd hope they'd put a sign up that said "Philadelphia 29mi/46.5 km". :AH-HA_wink:

Guest YellowJacket894

Sounds like something the Biblical Anti-Christ would write down on a piece of paper in high school.