2008 Chicago Debuts

I wonder how different it will be.

You know if they have the same feature but wrap it in a nicer package with a better interior it'll be the best minivan in the segment.

I actually agree.

My interest is the Traverse. I want to know if it's actually the first Lambda clone or if it'll be unique "enough" to be a true Chevrolet Lambda.

Not anytime soon. NAIAS 2009 probably. Unless they would show it in LA in Nov....but I cant really imagine GM debuting it anywhere but Detroit.

It would be nice to see it at LA... I'd go to the LA show, but not to Detroit in January..

Might still be a little early for that one. I'll ask around though.

Ford seems to like making a big showing in Chicago it seems so I hope this is the case.

Current G6 has been on the uptick and I think GM will milk it for awhile. GM needs to get an all new interior in that car.

Edited by regfootball

FUSION?

GMI reports that traverse will have DI available on the 3.6.

BON reports that Fusion gets a revised 2.5, 2.0 ecoboost, 3.5 and all new interior and revised front and rear.

I hope there's also a smaller Ecoboost (1.4-ish?) as an alternative to the base 2.5 four cylinder. The 2.0 Ecoboost (275 hp on the Explorer Concept) looks like a 3.5 alternative.

Transit Connect?

I can't link to it, but it's on autoblog's page. it's a rather big ugly van. according to them it's competition for Dodge Sprinter, but i think that's wrong since it looks much smaller and it only has a 4 cylinder. I'm not sure who this vehicle is supposed to go after, but I bleive it's the commercial market. It's pretty bad though.

I can't link to it, but it's on autoblog's page. it's a rather big ugly van. according to them it's competition for Dodge Sprinter, but i think that's wrong since it looks much smaller and it only has a 4 cylinder. I'm not sure who this vehicle is supposed to go after, but I bleive it's the commercial market. It's pretty bad though.

It seems like a good commercial vehicle in light of higher gas prices and climate change. Obviously this won't replace full-size trucks that tow 12,000 lbs, but I can see it used by plumbers, caterers, electricians, florists, etc, and those who currently use Astros, Rangers, Elements, and HHR panel vans.

The cargo area in LWB models is larger than the Astro's, the gross payload is 1984 lbs, and according to Ford, it's a purpose-built heavy-duty commercial vehicle, not one derived from a car...

Uncompromising

Ford Transit Connect is not a car-derived van. It is built on a unique, dedicated commercial vehicle platform that makes industrial strength accessible to the small van market for the first time. Furthermore, it has been independently designed, engineered, tested and constructed to the same uncompromising standards as the award-winning Ford Transit medium commercial range. Such exceptional levels of ruggedness and durability are unparalleled in the small van sector.

Transit Connect’s toughened bodyshell makes extensive use of high-strength steel, including double-skin body sides, and incorporates two side cross members and a Boron steel front cross member for added rigidity, while front and rear anti-roll bars enhance vehicle stability and handling. In addition, the vehicle’s strengthened underbody is built with extensive use of thick-gauge metal and heavy-duty components. High-impact parts such as suspension components are strengthened for maximum durability, and the vehicle comes complete with 15-inch, five-stud wheels.

Flexible

The all-new Ford Transit Connect range includes a high-roof, long wheelbase derivative, specifically designed for the sub-one tonne sector of the European medium commercial vehicle market, and a shorter wheelbase derivative which will compete in the light commercial vehicle market. A variety of petrol and diesel engines will power Transit Connect. Full range details and specifications will be released closer to launch.

Ford Transit Connect will lead the class in load-box flexibility and will offer a wide choice of bulkhead and sliding side-load door configurations. The short wheel base derivative of Transit Connect will be the first one in its class to carry two Euro pallets, which can be loaded through the rear doors or liftgate. An optimised tumblehome (side body curvature) allows for efficient load-box utilisation, with the minimum amount of space between the load and the side body panels. To maximise flexibility, a fold-flat passenger seat will provide a completely flat floor right up to the footwell for extended load length and a flexible load restraint system will allow customers to install their own racking or shelving without drilling holes in the vehicle.

Secure

Available class-leading security systems are expected to contribute to competitive insurance ratings. Cost of ownership will be further reduced through extended service intervals. In addition, thanks to Transit Connect’s exceptionally durable design and construction, repairs and maintenance will be kept to a minimum and residual values are also expected to be high.

lrg_article_5259-img_0.jpg

dscd0668.jpg

Edited by empowah

• 2 weeks later...