Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NOS2006

New Taurus Next Year?

24 posts in this topic

That's what LLN is reporting...

It would seem making swift changes to improve the sales of new-but-faltering vehicles is the game plan of choice for U.S. automakers these days. Chrysler has already announced plans to revamp five cars, and now Ford says it will introduce a new Taurus next year.

The 2008 Taurus was introduced a year ago, and already it will see major changes. Ford CEO Alan Mulally said the new car will be "the one we should have made originally." Mulally was behind the move last year to rename the 2008 Five Hundred to Taurus.

Typically, automakers wait until the middle of a car's seven-year lifespan to make updates, but the Taurus' slow sales appear to have spurred an early makeover.

Mulally failed to mention if the Taurus' sister car — the Mercury Sable — would also receive a similar update.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-to-introduce-new-taurus-next-year.html

Well, if he's the genius who renamed it to Taurus, I won't hold much faith in this next Taurus being "the car they should have made".

I'm not holding my breath because I don't want to die, but I'm hoping it's MUCH more like the Interceptor concept.

I'm not holding my breath because I don't want to die, but I'm hoping it's MUCH more like the Interceptor concept.

The Interceptor is way too cool to be called Taurus. lol

Hopefully there will be a new 2009 Focus, too. Didn't Ford say the changes to the F-150 (2008 or 2009, I'm not sure) were a one-year-thing only?

It's interesting to note the powertrains in the 07, 08, and 09 Escape Hybrids are all different (31, 34, and ?? mpg city, respectively).

Hopefully there will be a new 2009 Focus, too. Didn't Ford say the changes to the F-150 (2008 or 2009, I'm not sure) were a one-year-thing only?

It's interesting to note the powertrains in the 07, 08, and 09 Escape Hybrids are all different (31, 34, and ?? mpg city, respectively).

That'll be fun to service... :rolleyes:

More chrome and bigger side vents.

More chrome and bigger side vents.

And maybe a Platinum trim level like the F150. And a grille with the '09 F150.. :)

Word from the grape vine (Blue II at BON) is that the new Taurus will be RWD. For the longest time it was stated that RWD would be introduced on the 2010 Taurus, but now that the update has been pushed up, I'd expect next year's Taurus to be the one. Personally, I don't think the name Taurus goes well with a car driven by the rear wheels, but the car matters to me more than the name.

Also from Blue II (paraphrased): "Things are coming soon from Ford that will make your mouths water." Let the speculation begin.

Edit: Disregard the RWD comments...it looks like it won't quite be ready for '09/'10, so this Taurus will be a full reskin with less weight and similar powertrains to the MKS.

Edited by mustang84

Word from the grape vine (Blue II at BON) is that the new Taurus will be RWD. For the longest time it was stated that RWD would be introduced on the 2010 Taurus, but now that the update has been pushed up, I'd expect next year's Taurus to be the one. Personally, I don't think the name Taurus goes well with a car driven by the rear wheels, but the car matters to me more than the name.

Also from Blue II (paraphrased): "Things are coming soon from Ford that will make your mouths water." Let the speculation begin.

Edit: Disregard the RWD comments...it looks like it won't quite be ready for '09/'10, so this Taurus will be a full reskin with less weight and similar powertrains to the MKS.

There is that fun YouTube video of the prototype Taurus with EcoBoost (sounds like a vitamin?) engine drag racing a BMW and a Lexus...

Will they be so bold as to at least give the AWD version a rear-drive bias via software? Even Subaru lets you do that...

2010 taurus will be all new body and interior, i do believe it will use the chassis it is on now. the roof will be lowered and the styling is said to be tremendously improved.

i think its a smart idea to use the current chassis and powertrains, because of their reliability, plus you have your choice of FWD or AWD.

i think part of the reason ford is not promoting the current taurus at all, is to manage sales volume at a smaller level so they do not flood the market with rentals and such and so the 010 launch can actually re-engage the public's interest in the car. I think they just feel they will ride out 2 years of barely breathing sales until the new car comes out.

taurus X is seeing major gains vs. the sedan. It will be interesting to see how they resolve this when the 010 model comes out.

Edited by regfootball

Still a FORD "Fix or Repair Daily" I will pass as always.

Still a FORD "Fix or Repair Daily" I will pass as always.

wow............ how original. you may get a pulitzer for that. :rolleyes:

PS, "Fix or Repair Dailys" reliability, and durability standings are higher than anything from GM, short of Buick.

Wow........... let me try.

Gargantuan Maintenance

Circumstances Hopeless, Entire Vehicle Relies On Leftover Engine Technology

See how stupid it looks??

Revealed in Three Weeks?

We left the best for last. Inside information is pointing to Ford revealing the new Taurus in Chicago Auto Show in less than three weeks. Ford has not told us anything yet, and we do not know yet whether what we see will be a concept or a production vehicle, but the chance is pretty good that we will not have to wait too long to see the new car.

thanks, Igor.

http://www.autosavant.net/2008/01/new-taur...-next-year.html

From the article mentioned:

"In the summer of 2007 Mulally confessed he had seen the new Taurus and that it made his “eyes water.” Yesterday, Mulally added oil to the fire by stating the new Taurus is coming next year."

Ah, confusion reigns. But I'm not quite sure what to make of Mulally's watery eyes... :huh:

...and a King Ranch edition like the F150, complete with steer horns on the hood! :lovey::duck:

I was thinking about that Platinum edition for the F150--it seems like that is basically a replacement for the MkLT (which is being dropped).

...and a King Ranch edition like the F150, complete with steer horns on the hood! :lovey::duck:

Well, steer horns for a car named after a bull type makes sense.. :)

I was thinking about that Platinum edition for the F150--it seems like that is basically a replacement for the MkLT (which is being dropped).

Lincoln deserves better than a barely modified pickup truck. So that's a good thing to me.

For that matter, so does Cadillac. Why does the EXT exist, anyway?

Lincoln deserves better than a barely modified pickup truck. So that's a good thing to me.

For that matter, so does Cadillac. Why does the EXT exist, anyway?

Probably to help spread out the tooling cost of the Avalanche..

...and because people buy it. With such minimal changes, it doesn't take many sales to make the vehicle worthwhile.

They could have done that with a cheaper GMC version (called Terradyne, maybe?) instead, then had a Denali version to give Cadillac-style features. Chevy dealers probably would have bitched, though.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0