NY 2008 Preview: Production Pontiac ST pickup to appear

To tell the truth, the plan GM had to bring the wagon and Ute here together was a stinker. That plan called for the Ute to be all high-end V8s with the wagon nothing but V6 automatics.

That was a stupid plan.

I don't think we've heard the last of the wagon.

I expect something more profitable at low volume.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To tell the truth, the plan GM had to bring the wagon and Ute here together was a stinker. That plan called for the Ute to be all high-end V8s with the wagon nothing but V6 automatics.

That was a stupid plan.

I don't think we've heard the last of the wagon.

Wow... Is that right? A V6 only sportwagon is a bit of a misnomer and a V8-only Ute really limits the potential, unecessarily. A buyer could get very frustrated by the limited choices.

It's a bit like the carrot and the stick approach - dangle the carrot to draw the in customer by offering variety of body styles, and then whack them with a stick by telling them they can't get what they want.

You may be correct regarding the wagon - it wouldn't be the first time GMNA has backflipped over a zeta no-go decision. I've never considered a wagon before but I'm really looking forward to the Commodore Sportwagon - if it comes in a diesel I think I'm in. :thumbsup:

Wow... Is that right? A V6 only sportwagon is a bit of a misnomer and a V8-only Ute really limits the potential, unecessarily. A buyer could get very frustrated by the limited choices.

It's a bit like the carrot and the stick approach - dangle the carrot to draw the in customer by offering variety of body styles, and then whack them with a stick by telling them they can't get what they want.

You may be correct regarding the wagon - it wouldn't be the first time GMNA has backflipped over a zeta no-go decision. I've never considered a wagon before but I'm really looking forward to the Commodore Sportwagon - if it comes in a diesel I think I'm in. :thumbsup:

As of right now, it isn't coming at all. But the Ute is, in both V6 and V8 flavors.

Plan "B" I guess you could say.

And realize there are those of us that would like a wagon but can't afford one that's priced over $35k... meaning the CTS wagon may be great but not on many consumer's shopping lists.

that's exactly the point for producing the G8 SW. setting aside all speculation of limited volume, GM may have the aura wagon which will cover the 25-30k market and the CTS wagon which will cover the 35k-50k market. I don't see how offering the G8 sportwagon at a $2000 premium over the sedan, for 29k-34k is going to hurt or step on anybody's toes. It would bring an incredibly unique and alluring proposition to BPG and perhaps funnel some consumers from Acadia who are more interested in cargo/flexibility/good looks and turned on by potentially higher mileage in the G8 and much greater performance.

that's exactly the point for producing the G8 SW. setting aside all speculation of limited volume, GM may have the aura wagon which will cover the 25-30k market and the CTS wagon which will cover the 35k-50k market. I don't see how offering the G8 sportwagon at a $2000 premium over the sedan, for 29k-34k is going to hurt or step on anybody's toes. It would bring an incredibly unique and alluring proposition to BPG and perhaps funnel some consumers from Acadia who are more interested in cargo/flexibility/good looks and turned on by potentially higher mileage in the G8 and much greater performance.

Exactly. When customers come in, you can ask, want something efficient without sacrificing the inherent space and versatility? Here is the G8 SW. GM should build some innovative features in it, like underseat storage, intelligent packaging, and can be used as an alternative to SUV.

Exactly. When customers come in, you can ask, want something efficient without sacrificing the inherent space and versatility? Here is the G8 SW. GM should build some innovative features in it, like underseat storage, intelligent packaging, and can be used as an alternative to SUV.

As I mull it over some more, GM may be concerned that a G8 wagon would overlap too much with the GMC Acadia. Is that a reasonable assumption, or am I stretching too far?

I personally think there's a place (and a markedly different buyer) for both.

Check out the poste embargo pictures of the GMC Denali XT on Autoblog.com.

This thing rules and is a Zeta. Could this vehicle be the base for a new small truck? And along with it bring a wagon that can do more than the G8 Wagon?

Keep in mind the G8 is not a Zeta. Could the Zeta not be fully dead year and they are going to get 5-6 years out of it while they work on the new Alpha? GM will have to have something to sell till the new cars are ready. I am not sure what all is done in Zeta but a few I could see get finished to carry GM a few years while they get things sorted out.

How would a Zeta G8 be vs a VE G8 Wagon? Could GMC have a Cayenne killer? Porsche just finished their 200,000th one.

Like I said before the unknown detail are the real answer and we will have to wait till GM tells us.

The XT and the CTS coupe are things we did not expect and are blown away with. We too often anymore have taken for granted GM has already shown us wht they are thinking. For a few year they did show us to buy time when things were bleak, now they are waiting till the shows to show us their ideas.

Anyway I can now see Zeta living on as unibody truck for GM. I wonder if they have looked at a Long bed extended cab yet?

Edited by hyperv6

all i know is GM has f@#king sucked in terms of everyman's sporty vehicles for as long as i can remember. ever since i had my 89 SHO i have been waiting for a GM car that would be as fun to drive. I have wanted a FWD sedan w/ DOHC v6 and stick and good manners. the lumina possibly was a decent car but had terrible styling inside and out; so laughable you could not take it seriously. the g6 finally came with a v6 manual but the dickwads in GM stuffed a pushrod and terrible shifter in the thing. WHo was responsible for that manuever? Now when all I f@#king ask for is something simple, a v6 car with stick and a little cargo space and winter friendlyness and they cannot offer that. Saab is too spendy and too small. G8 won't ever be AWD.

For as big a company as GM has always been, they have never made an effort to sell very many specialized vehicles here in the US. The g8 represents an affordable enthusiasts car for people like me, yet they won't go all the way with it.

Oh well. there are lots of manufacturers vying for my money.

Edited by regfootball

I'm still sad the Magnum is being discontinued. I don't see the point. Of course it's a slower seller than the Charger, because this is American, and we most people would rather have their gas sucking SUVs and CUVs even though they don't really need them.

Besides, if they are still producing the 300 Touring for the European market, the tooling is still all there. If the Touring is made at a different plant (I can't remember), make the Magnum in that plant, it can be a lower volume model.

Agreed-but 4-door notchback sedans have almost always sold far better than their 5-door station wagon counterparts-its sad that people get excited when there's more than one body style in a lineup these days...its like just do it, you know?

• 4 weeks later...