First G8s arrive!!!

I didn't really like the design of the G8 interior from the pics (Actually, I didn't really like the whole car)

I'm just hoping for the best.

:shrugs:

And I agree that there should be no excuses for a cheap G8 interior, but I think it'll do okay as long as it isn't complete trash.

After all, look at what the Astra has to offer and it seems to be doing fine.

I think what i am waiting for is to see if pontiac just goes all black and drab or whatever. If you look at statesman and commodore pics on the internet, you see there are many versions of this interior with all sorts of different colors, cloth, trim, detailing etc. I for one, would be all for one with a combination of black upper dash and tan lower dash and doors, with metal looking trim and nice cloth or perf leather seats.

When they start making G8's here, they will need to upgrade the center stack and console and stuff. and put window switches on the door. I was scoping an 08 charger this wkd. I absolutely hate the exterior, but the 08 interior revisions help it some. I would hope the G8 interior at least is on par or better than the charger updates. To me, if it comes down to maybe picking between an 08 charger with AWD and 6 cyl, and the pontiac with 6 cylinder but no AWD, at least the one with the nicer interior will have an advantage to me.

Of course, Lutz could have helped me out some on this. Bring me the g8 sportwagon with DI v6, AWD, manual trans or 6 speed auto or DSG and it would be an easy choice.

holden-ve-commodore-sportwagon-interior1

ve-commodore-sportwagon-interior1.jpg

Edited by regfootball

in the past, the problem with Pontiac's interiors have been both design and quality. The G6 has a problem with quality finishes, but the design is an even bigger offender. I am not against what GM has done with the CTS and Lamdas, as well as the GMT 900s. They've really designed the heck out of those cars, while sticking to acceptable plastics that are par for course but not outstanding or tops of the class either. The design of the G8 interior is hands down the best I've ever seen for a Pontiac, including the now slightly outdated looking GTO. I think because of that, the interior is already a winner in my book. Quality interior materials is one thing that does a lot for Audi/VW, and is certainly one reason for success for them, but it's one part of a car that doesn't amount to more than a 10% part of the whole pie consideration, which is, admittedly, a large chunk.

Quality interior materials is one thing that does a lot for Audi/VW, and is certainly one reason for success for them, but it's one part of a car that doesn't amount to more than a 10% part of the whole pie consideration, which is, admittedly, a large chunk.

The problem with VW/Audi interior materials <mostly VW> is that they don't hold up over time. Sure they look great on the showroom floor, but after about 4 years when that airbag cover is curling away from the dash and the scratches in the material from a finger nail and the cupholder that no longer works and the power mirrow switches that have fallen off..... they don't look quite as nice.

Conversely, the G6's interior may look like tupperware... but after 4 years and some armor all, it'll still looks like new tupperware.

The problem with VW/Audi interior materials <mostly VW> is that they don't hold up over time. Sure they look great on the showroom floor, but after about 4 years when that airbag cover is curling away from the dash and the scratches in the material from a finger nail and the cupholder that no longer works and the power mirrow switches that have fallen off..... they don't look quite as nice.

Conversely, the G6's interior may look like tupperware... but after 4 years and some armor all, it'll still looks like new tupperware.

I don't have experience with VWs for longevity, so I can't say....but I'd say the problem is they have a rep for crap reliability

i don't think anyone likes the armor all glossy look these days.

For what it is worth the early press review of the preproduction cars like the interior and the car.

They even commented on the great amount of room in the back seat.

I think it was in Autoweek? or Car and Driver? back in December.

They went up Palomar and commented while the car is not perfect it was excellent for its price range . They said any little nit picks could be over lookded due to the price being so far under it compititon.

I am waiting for the Apirl full reviews of the car in the main line publications.

As for the preproduction test they said it was the best Pontiac ever with 4 doors.

Like the car or not many will in the general public.

I think they like curling airbag covers and broken power mirror switches even less though....

OOOOooooo but it's "soft touch" materials... smiley_gamer.gif

They're not mutually exclusive. Our 528i has interior surfaces that are pleasing to both the eye and the touch, even after 97k miles. I think that's the difference between "quality" and "perceived quality."

The previous-gen Passat's interior isn't as lovely or durable, but it's less than half the price of the BMW, and when it came out in 1998 and refreshed in 2001.5, it was class-leading.

Back to the G8, I'm fine with the interior design - it's linear and clean and professional looking, not a blobby mass of ill-fitting shapes and lines, like with the Grand Prix. It might be somber, but at least it's not trashy.

It's hard to get any worse than this...

2G2WP552271125940_6.JPG

Edited by empowah

After all, look at what the Astra has to offer and it seems to be doing fine.

TOTALLY agree......and Astra even feels/looks good with extended exposure inside the car.

LOL....which brings up the age-old question.....why didn't Cobalt get introduced with an interior as nice as Astra's...?

When pricing the two, it seems Astra is no more expensive than a comparably-equipped Cobalt.....and is a way nicer car in many ways......way nicer interior, nicer seats, sounds like it even drives a whole lot better.

Seems the 1.8L Ecotec is the only downside to the Astra.....although it seems competitive enough for me in the marketplace......?

in the past, the problem with Pontiac's interiors have been both design and quality. The G6 has a problem with quality finishes, but the design is an even bigger offender. I am not against what GM has done with the CTS and Lamdas, as well as the GMT 900s. They've really designed the heck out of those cars, while sticking to acceptable plastics that are par for course but not outstanding or tops of the class either. The design of the G8 interior is hands down the best I've ever seen for a Pontiac, including the now slightly outdated looking GTO. I think because of that, the interior is already a winner in my book. Quality interior materials is one thing that does a lot for Audi/VW, and is certainly one reason for success for them, but it's one part of a car that doesn't amount to more than a 10% part of the whole pie consideration, which is, admittedly, a large chunk.

Turbo....have you sat in one yet? It's really tacky.....the details. It looks GREAT in photos....but in reality it suffers. I'm not talking about touchy-feely plastics or anything like that....I'm talking things you use and touch...the controls....center stack....door handles.....it's the details that suffer....especially in comparison to so many recent GM interiors.

Take the Impala for example. Lots and lots of hard, cheap plastics inside that car. But you know what? It doesn't offend me all that much because everything seems to fit together correctly with tight seams and nice fits. The black-tie controls are quality items in this car....and everything moves and operates with a precision that GM has lacked in the past.

Impala could hardly be called exciting inside.....but it's these types of things that the G8 is lacking. Even the british mags have ripped it for it's interior (but they are notoriously GM-critical....)

But enough is enough from me. I'm still happy to even have this car here.....and I hope it does well.......

Turbo....have you sat in one yet? It's really tacky.....the details. It looks GREAT in photos....but in reality it suffers. I'm not talking about touchy-feely plastics or anything like that....I'm talking things you use and touch...the controls....center stack....door handles.....it's the details that suffer....especially in comparison to so many recent GM interiors.

Take the Impala for example. Lots and lots of hard, cheap plastics inside that car. But you know what? It doesn't offend me all that much because everything seems to fit together correctly with tight seams and nice fits. The black-tie controls are quality items in this car....and everything moves and operates with a precision that GM has lacked in the past.

Impala could hardly be called exciting inside.....but it's these types of things that the G8 is lacking. Even the british mags have ripped it for it's interior (but they are notoriously GM-critical....)

But enough is enough from me. I'm still happy to even have this car here.....and I hope it does well.......

I trust you. :)

what you've said is intriguing, but it doesn't mean we will see eye to eye. I will still have to see it for myself. I do question the pre-production versus production especially with your comments regarding Impala fit; maybe it's the fit that caught you off guard. That's one thing, fit is important for me, but it's like I gloss over it because it should be done. I see it as easy as pie, if hyundai can do it then so can GM. fit doesn't impress me as much, and I will overlook fit issues if the design is stellar. one thing with regards to fit that was a sore disappointment for me with GM was how tight the door panel was against the window frame in all the cars. another topic for another day. price is a huge consideration. I'm looking at a 27k sedan from Pontiac that already does a lot of fantastic things, so.....quality will be paramount as usual but less critical than say a Cadillac....like the Malibu.

Now if everybody could do finish and design the way VW does, GM would be fine. That said, I'm a big fan of the G8's interior design, from the concept to the reality of what we got. the design is as good as anything in the sub 30k group.

Edited by turbo200