Overhaulin's takin' mirrors off the cars.

LosAngeles

I watched two eps of Overhaulin' tonight, and cars that both began with at least driver's side mirrors (68 LeMans and 70 Nova) were finished with no mirrors on either door! I don't see any evidence that Chip's thrown in cameras or anything, and not only will you get ticketed right off the road in this state for not having outside mirrors, but it's just creepy unsafe. It's simply more confidence inspiring to have all your mirrors. Is he just throwing them on later, or what's the deal?

When were cars required by federal law to have sideviews (or at least driver's side)?? It's a relatively 'lesser' safety device- may not have been mandated until the early '70s. I know passenger-side sideviews were not mandated in '71. Poke around online- I'm sure the federal guideline is out there somewhere... Edited by balthazar

When were cars required by federal law to have sideviews (or at least driver's side)?? It's a relatively 'lesser' safety device- may not have been mandated until the early '70s. I know passenger-side sideviews were not mandated in '71. Poke around online- I'm sure the federal guideline is out there somewhere...

Sometime in the '60s I think for driver's side. There were cars sold into the '80s without passenger side mirrors.

I couldn't imagine driving a car without side mirrors. I've driven some old cars with only a driver's side mirror, and it felt very awkward...

Well... its not like I use them... I mean, the one that I can since a deer destroyed my driver's side. Don't really even notice. The only time I would really use those is when I'm on the interstate and such. Which is like once every few months. IMO, the only important mirror is the one hangin' from the windsheild. :D

When were cars required by federal law to have sideviews (or at least driver's side)?? It's a relatively 'lesser' safety device- may not have been mandated until the early '70s. I know passenger-side sideviews were not mandated in '71. Poke around online- I'm sure the federal guideline is out there somewhere...

[post="31024"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Now I understand you're the resident pre-70s car guy around here...but you can't seriously think it's safe to drive a car with no driver's side mirror. While I figure one could probably get used to it, that's not the safest thing to do.

But I'm really wanting to see where Chip is finding it OK to take them off and leave them off...it's not like these are absolute show cars....with most, they're at least weekend warriors...obviously, they will be taken on public roads.

How is it a lesser safety device to have something that allows one to not have to cock their head 90 degrees for a long period of time to make a lane change?

Well... its not like I use them... I mean, the one that I can since a deer destroyed my driver's side. Don't really even notice. The only time I would really use those is when I'm on the interstate and such. Which is like once every few months. IMO, the only important mirror is the one hangin' from the windsheild. :D

[post="31172"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Do you have your license yet? (no insult)

Yeah, I use them for backing up, I use reverse a lot (work) and have to use both mirrors to make sure I dont veer off onto someone's lawn. I dont use them much on the highway, I got into the habit of swinging my head around to check my blind spots when I had mu huge-ass Dakota. You have a better idea of how much space you have by looking directly at something and I dont think turning to check takes long enough to be dangerous, unless you are riding the ass of the car in front of you.

Same reason people shave doorhandles, antennas, etc.  To make the car appear smoother.  Function follows form in this case, apparently.  I'm sure most of the cars end up sold on eBay, just like Pimp my Ride.

[post="31250"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I know, right? Flip it and buy a Camcord or Explorer...plasma TV...pay off their credit card or something.

Thing is, the Overhaulin' cars have daily driver written all over most of them....Pimp My Ride's work is definitely something you get rid of.

Overhaulin cars also have "steal me" and "give it to me again mr. insurance man, no lube" written all over them. I agree that they are more suited for daily duty than the PmR crap, but most likely they're going to be garage queens that see occasional weekend cruising duty. Not everyone can afford that. If the people whose cars got overhauled had money laying around, the cars wouldn't look like they do when they get brought in.

Yea its just more of that debadging, shaving, crap. Its over the top though. Should bare heavy fines and automatic inspection failure well actually they should be red taged for unsafe, a heavy truck would be. Then towed to the impound yard. I mean we have mandatory air bags, seatbelt laws and now were going to start taking off side views ? Bad enough most people dont know how to use them and got their licence.

example:
First begin to change lanes
Second apply directional
Third look in mirror and see poor fool you just ran onto the shoulder. :rolleyes:

Knowing whats going on to your sides is being aware and very safety oriented.

Rearview mirror it irrevelent. "thats which is behind you is of no importance!"

With these insurance scams going on today we'd all be wise to pay great attention to our rearviews and side view mirrors.

F1 drivers have them and use them (sometimes <_< )

I remember when "Pimp my Ride" was busted for replacing OE steering wheels with airbags, with aftermarket steering wheels and no air bags. So... either Overlhaulin' is sticking the mirrors on afterwards, or they are gonna be in trouble.

:lol:

Bad enough most people dont know how to use them and got their licence.

example:
First begin to change lanes
Second apply directional
Third look in mirror and see poor fool you just ran onto the shoulder. 

Knowing whats going on to your sides is being aware and very safety oriented.

With these insurance scams going on today we'd all be wise to pay great attention to our rearviews and side view mirrors.

If only there were roads with multiple lanes around here that I use.... so I could do that. But there isn't. This is Historic Brookville. Yay... Plus, it has very little parallel parking, not that I would do it anyways. So the rearview is all I really need. :D

Rearview mirror it irrevelent. "thats which is behind you is of no importance!"

Say what? :blink: :P

thats a half ass quote from Cannon Ball run. Guy sits down in a Ferrari and says something like "First thing " reaches on the dash and rips the miror off and throws it out, saying something like "that which is behind you ..." Actually I believe it is also an old quote from Enzo Ferrari. Side view are very handy and very safety oriented, once your used to using them a car feels naked without.

The rearview fell off the windshield of the Safari (again) and I haven't bothered to run to Pep Boys again to glue it back up. Thing was, I got used to using stricty the convexes to do any kind of seeing behind me and to my sides (it's a panel van, in which case you need convexes) and I just cock my head back for backing out. So I haven't been pressed to glue it back up. If I was in a car with a full greenhouse, however, I'd feel creeped out with no rearview (but then again, that's obviously due to not having convexes at the ready) Sideviews are essential in every respect IMO....I've driven enough Uhaul trucks to understand this.

Now I understand you're the resident pre-70s car guy around here...but you can't seriously think it's safe to drive a car with no driver's side mirror.  While I figure one could probably get used to it, that's not the safest thing to do.
How is it a lesser safety device to have something that allows one to not have to cock their head 90 degrees for a long period of time to make a lane change?

My take: Foose is removing them because they were not federally mandated in '70. And because he's Foose.

I looked for 25 minutes last night on the web, trying in vain to find a reference to when sideviews were federally mandated. I can tell you via my '70 Cadillac sales brochure that a passenger side view was optional on all models except the Series 75, and the standard driver's side mirror was remote-controlled. Doesn't tell us much.

I agree that mirrors are a valuable safety item, but you'd think I could find something online about them if they were that monsterously important. In my regular cab pick-up with dual side views, I use all 3 mirrors AND I shoot a glance over my shoulder when changing lanes (there's no blind spots in the human eyeball/glance). Takes less than a second. I've done this for years ever since I nearly sideswiped someone because I ONLY relied on my mirrors to merge.
But I've also driven vehicles with no rear view. My '64 Cat had a fender-mounted sideview: it was like peeking thru a keyhole from 2 feet away. Like anything- you can get used to it.

My '40 Ford truck (which I haven't driven yet since buying it) has zero mirrors (and no turn signals!!)- should be fun! I am considering adding a rearview, but since my eye is 7 feet in the air in it and it only does 50 MPH, maybe I'll just let everyone else watch out for me. ;)

I'll keep poking around for the federal statute....

Found it: driver's side view mirrors were federally mandated for 1968. Fed laws usually ignore model years and are set via calendar dates. "1968" very likely means Jan 1 1968, which gives the owner of a '68 some wiggle room to defend himself depending on his vehicle's manufacture date. The owner of the Foose '70 is SOL. LAW: All 1968 and newer vehicles require an adjustable driver's side view mirror. All 1970 and newer vehicles require an adjustable interior (rearview) mirror. All 1991 and newer vehicles require a 'day/night' rearview.

Found it: driver's side view mirrors were federally mandated for 1968.

Fed laws usually ignore model years and are set via calendar dates. "1968" very likely means Jan 1 1968, which gives the owner of a '68 some wiggle room to defend himself depending on his vehicle's manufacture date. The owner of the Foose '70 is SOL.

LAW:
All 1968 and newer vehicles require an adjustable driver's side view mirror.
All 1970 and newer vehicles require an adjustable interior (rearview) mirror.
All 1991 and newer vehicles require a 'day/night' rearview.

[post="31884"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

All things we American car driving dudes had takin for granted by that time.

Actually I cant remember if the old 58 Brookwood had day/night mirror. I dont think dual side mirrors on all cars began until the 80's right ? In other words no longer optional.

edit : ________ Edited by razoredge

Overhaulin cars also have "steal me" and "give it to me again mr. insurance man, no lube" written all over them. I agree that they are more suited for daily duty than the PmR crap, but most likely they're going to be garage queens that see occasional weekend cruising duty. Not everyone can afford that. If the people whose cars got overhauled had money laying around, the cars wouldn't look like they do when they get brought in.

I agree and disagree...

I would definately keep an overhaulin' car, or any classic for that matter, if for nothing more than the appreciation in value. (Especially now) and it takes A LOT to restore/mod a classic. I've been working on mine for YEARS.

As far as "Steal me" there are a lot of measures one can take to avoid that such as a secure garage with alarms and cameras or GPS/shut off kits for the cars. Or, if you're like me, just be in the area of the cars at all times when you have them out or put them in a secured place.

Sorry to stray off subject.

• 13 years later...