Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

What are the "Gay Cars" in your city?

jlgolden

I dislike stereotypes, but the Houston gay boys' car choices have inspired the topic.

Around Houston, BMW 3 Series and 5 Series are associated with the epicenter of car gayness... if there is such a thing. Five to ten years ago, it was Mercedes.

Among our many BMW-loving friends, my partner and I are considered out-of-touch and "a little rough around the edges"" with a Subaru and a GMC in our garage.

I don't really think there is a specific 'gay car' here.

My gay roomie drives a Plymouth Breeze complete with white hubcaps and purple badges, which he calls completely gay. But that's just because we're all broke ass college kids and the car was given to him.

Oh wait, it's probably VW or Mini...

His gay friend down the hall drives a VW and thinks it's god on wheels and both he and another gay friend of his (The one I enjoy watching project runway with) both have an afinity for Minis.

In fact, now that I think about it, my roomie LOVES the new GLI (So do I) so it must be VW.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I think there must be a high percentage of gay folk who like black as a color for their vehicles. Black Jettas, black Dodge Ram 4X4 pickups... I dunno, I had a black '83 S-10, and I swore I wouldn't buy another black vehicle, so hard to keep clean.

I think lesbians who have remained loyal to the domestics like HHRs and PT Cruisers. Subaru has a long history of contributing to the gay community.

I would like to see some kind of sales data regarding this subject.

Around here Civics and Jetta <previous gen> are the gay man's pace car. Jetta lovers seem to be migrating to Rabbits though.

Then there is the ubiquitous 3-series that every 20 year old anger-twink aspires to. And they'll tell you it has the best V-6 around....but they don't know why.

Angertwink (noun):

A young urban gay male who goes through his life very angry because:

1) The rest of the gay world does not recognize his incredible hotness.

2) The rest of the gay world is not incredibly hot, like he is.

Identifying characteristics: Angertwinks can often be spotted wearing fauxhawks, popped collars, and expressions of disgust.

Let's see, I'm strait and a huge fan of Both Miata's and Mini's, and I don't know of any gay people that drive either. I like poetry also, though so my opinion may not count.

Around here in the Lamda car club it seems to be big old domestics with lots of Chrome from the 50's or 60's.

Newer cars seem to be all domestic, usually PT Cruiser or HHR for lesbians and large Buick/Cadillac type vehicles for males. For whatever reason the gay population of Columbus Ohio seems to be really, really domestic loyal.

Actually, now that JPgolden got rid of the civic SI and got a truck, I don't know of any gay males that drive imports. Oh, yeah, wait, golden's partner drives a subie.

Chris

I've heard that in some areas Subaru wagons are a lesbian status thing, but Outbacks are a very mainstream wagon around here (Colorado has long been a prime Audi and Subaru market).... of the only two people that I know who are openly gay--one drives a Caddy SLS and the other a Mitsu Eclipse..(he's got to be a rarity here--a gay Indian software engineer). I also used to work with a 'Lesbyterian' who was a very butch evangelical Xtian lesbian from Colorado Springs who drove a macho Dodge Ram crew cab to fit in down there..(Dodge Rams being a suburban Republican fundie xtian status symbol).

Edited by moltar

I don't really think there is a specific 'gay car' here.

My gay roomie drives a Plymouth Breeze complete with white hubcaps and purple badges, which he calls completely gay. But that's just because we're all broke ass college kids and the car was given to him.

Oh wait, it's probably VW or Mini...

His gay friend down the hall drives a VW and thinks it's god on wheels and both he and another gay friend of his (The one I enjoy watching project runway with) both have an afinity for Minis.

In fact, now that I think about it, my roomie LOVES the new GLI (So do I) so it must be VW.

HEY! DONT MOCK THE BREEZE! It must be an ealry model...the 96's had weird colored badging.

lesbians still like their subarus though

Tougher to stereotype in North Central California because of few discernable patterns. However, easier to do in Seattle and Portland where patterns are more observable.

Judging from what is seen from a 5-mile radius of Seattle's "U-District":

Gay men: Jettas

Lesbians: Subarus

I think there must be a high percentage of gay folk who like black as a color for their vehicles. Black Jettas, black Dodge Ram 4X4 pickups... I dunno, I had a black '83 S-10, and I swore I wouldn't buy another black vehicle, so hard to keep clean.

I think lesbians who have remained loyal to the domestics like HHRs and PT Cruisers. Subaru has a long history of contributing to the gay community.

I would like to see some kind of sales data regarding this subject.

Yeah, I would agree. I definitely prefer my cars in black and many of my ex's have drown them as well.

Poor gays-Whatever they can afford, or Honda Fits (if they buy new).

Middle Class Gays: Volkswagen Jettas Mitsubishi Eclipses.

Rich Gays: It's all about Audi.

I drive a crappy 97 Puke Green Toyota Corolla. Just guess which income bracket this gay falls in... :unsure:

Edited by jcgable

I drive a crappy 97 Puke Green Toyota Corolla. Just guess which income bracket this gay falls in... :unsure:

What about used Jettas and Audis for the poor gays? You make it sound so depressing. :P

Boy, you need to get outta that ride.

Boy, you need to get outta that ride.

I'll give you my bank account number. You may deposit the funds necessary for me to do so at your convenience. :-D

Erm, I dunno. If by dodgefan you mean really stupid or retarded than (sic) rusty, broke ass Shadow FTW... also, there's that one Intrepid...

Does a totalled Prizm count? :huh:

That's essentially what I drive... Except in Toyota garb. Somehow that makes it even worse...