Photos: At last, the "baby" has been brought home!

I was still trying to hold out a little longer but I went to the mailbox and opened a letter from GM Card. I'd gotten a "top off" on my usable earnings from slightly over $ 2,000 to $ 3,000. They had to be used by January 31 which meant I couldn't order, so onto the Internet I went to GM web sites to locate the TOP 3 cars everyone knows I craved.

Second runner-up:

Pontiac Grand Prix

This would have been my choice over the LaCrosse because it was a sporty sedan with a kick-ass dash and had the 3800 V6. This car would have been stunning if it wasn't for the following which probably alienated some buyers:

- the overstyled front end which could have been handled more cleanly as it was in G6

- the too squashed roofline which could have remained as tall as it was in 1997-2003

- lastly, the not so comfortable bucket seats which could have remained as per 1997-2003 as well

First runner-up:

Chevrolet Monte Carlo

This would have been my choice hands down if some styling quirks they just couldn't part with were cleaned up and the 3800 V6 remained, as it did through 2005. It just need to be "wedgier" and less "undulating." See the sketches I just posted in the sketch sub-forum. Consumer Reports had given the new 3.5 VVT V6 a full red dot for 2006 and 2007, but it was too early. I also spoke with numerous service advisors who actually liked both, but felt that the 3800 was the "golden child." I also had heartburn over the less than optimal fit and finish and the poor hardware to operate the folding forward of the front seats to let in rear seat passengers. Lastly, this is a car that appeals to "gang-bangers," at least in California. I didn't want my car to be eyed too much, as was my 1984 Cutlass Supreme. In lighter colors, the Monte is pleasing to the eye, to be sure, and I thought of ocnblu and bobo who, at various points, expressed that I was a "large personal coupe" type of buyer. Trust me, I got a phenomenal price with the $ 2,500 off cash rebate, the house discount and my increased GM Card contribution, but I just didn't sign on the dotted line. The few dealerships I visited were extremely nice.

The winner:

Buick LaCrosse

I thought of the comments by z28luvr who said "forget the other two cars" and paolino who wondered how I could desert the Buick brand after how good it had been to me. For a spread of about $ 2,800, the LaCrosse is a different ball game. It truly is uptown, so much so, that you almost treat it with kid gloves since everything is so refined, such as the leather accents, the wood inserts and everything else. The ride, compared to my Regal, is more uptown as well. With the quiet controlled ride and the nice weighting of the steering, it feels like a much more expensive car. Then there's the 3800...enough said. Not only that, I was pulling into a gas station in Roseville CA with my friend "Fernando the Cuban" and pointed at a new LaCrosse exiting. He said he liked it, wondering if it was a Lexus or a Jaguar. Kaching! Kaching!

Oh, yeah, the numbers:

MSRP: about $ 24,500

Less: GM cash back and house discount - $ 3,000

Less: GM card earnings applied: - $ 3,000

Equals: about $ 18,500

I then added the long GM Protection Plan and still came in under $ 20,000...for a car that's an heirloom.

Photos:

A pleasing and timeless shape

IMG_1372.jpg

The canted profile of the front grille helps tremendously over 2005-2007 MYs

IMG_1374.jpg

Also nice from the rear quarter view...I like the crease across the rear, especially in a lighter metallic color which flatters it

IMG_1373.jpg

A nice looking front end...wasn't looking to do silver again, but it's to best color to neutralize the bolder new grille

IMG_1384.jpg

Everything is tastefully put together and the leather stiched wheel feels great

IMG_1377.jpg

A usable back seat and the sort of "opera window" in the C-pillar makes for a nice feeling once inside...also, visibility isn't bad at all

IMG_1379.jpg

Sidebars:

1. It feels like "mission accomplished" or "full circle!" The way I found C&G was looking for info on the LaCrosse the spring before it was released and information was sketchy.

2. Oh, yeah, its birthday, it turns out, was a "special" day. You guys know I'm a ship freak, too. On its birthday, the three Cunard ships (QE2, QM2 and the new Queen Victoria) were in New York harbor together for the first and only time, saluting each other under fireworks and amidst festivities. That must have been one helluva sight. QE2 bows out at the end of this year. So, I have a benchmark for the car's birthday.

3. The 1992 Regal stays and will continue to be my daily driver, at 242,000 miles. It still doesn't burn a drop of oil and it remains golden in color. Seriously, I think I will aim for 300K instead of 250K, God willing.

Very nice, Bob. I really like how the new front end plays out in silver. The LaCrosse CXS I rented in San Antonio was a real warrior, even with the 3.6L. This car should give you decades of trouble-free service. Lots of luck with it.

Nice Car! I always liked the LaCrosse and we almost bought a Tan one this December, but my dad ultimately went for the XM Radio, Remote Start, and Nostalgia factor in an Impala. Yet I still get the feeling the Buick Allure hasn't seen the last of me. In a couple years down the road that Impala will be mine, but I have a feeling that it might get "lonely" and need a 3800 powered companion :AH-HA_wink:

Wow, next time we see a thread like this from Bob, I will be (counting on fingers... and now toes... multiplying, carry the "2"...) 87 years old! :AH-HA_wink:

Congratulations at long last, Bob. You know what you've got, and you did good, sir.

Congratulations on the new car. Of the remaining Ws, the LaCrosse is clearly the best, and the 3800 is about as bullet-proof as you can get. I thought you would get a more expressive color, but it should be easy to keep looking new.

CONGRATS on your new Buick!!

I drove one of those for my road trip last November. Nice car, indeed.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Nothing could be finer" ... Girls Next Door ... 'Slow Boat To China'

Congratulations on the new car. Of the remaining Ws, the LaCrosse is clearly the best, and the 3800 is about as bullet-proof as you can get. I thought you would get a more expressive color, but it should be easy to keep looking new.

Thanks, bobo. Regarding colors, this year's selections bordered on the somber and I didn't like any of the dark colors. I tend to like blues, but they have to be the right shade....the Glacier Blue of 2005-2006 was, as one poster put it, anemic looking. It needed more punch. But there were no blues for this MY anyway.

That left White Opal, Gold Mist Metallic and Platinum Metallic. White works wonders for an MC or a GP, but not on this car. The Gold was schizophrenic...a mixture of pimpy and Palm Beach wealthy retiree that changed with the light shed on it, sometimes looking rich and other times looking washed out. That left the silver, which worked well with all the chrome that was added. Now, if I could have gotten deep burgundy inside, I would have been as happy a pig in you-know-what. (where's the time tunnel?).

CONGRATS! So nice to here someone buy a mid-sizer that isn't a CAMRY! Hey I did the same thing used my topped of GM card. I love the silver with the alloy wheels (in the darker finish) the new front end makes a world of difference.

Edited by gm4life

• 4 weeks later...

'Tis a fine machine; may it bring you many happy trouble-free miles.

You're very smart to keep your Regal and drive it into the ground to keep the LaCrosse as nice and new as possible for as long as possible. Whatever small amount the dealer would have given you in trade for it isn't worth nearly as much as that.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

You can't go wrong in a W-body powered by the 3800 series III. So far the series III motor has been solid and relatively trouble free with the only thing of note being an occasional failed drive by wire controller box. The series III motor is noted for ditching the plastic upper manifold in place of compsite steel, slightly larger intake valves and a more robust rigid bottom end to quell noise with the added bonus of making the engine even more tough. Also note that from 07 onwards the LaCrosse switched to the Grand Prix's 3.05:1 axle ratio in place of the 05-06 2.86:1 setup which adds some low end zip, ABS and leather wheel became std equipment on all models along with trip computer and lighted visor mirrors making the 2008 version especially nice with it's bolder grille. It's kind of ironic that the 2009 LaCrosse loses the 3.6 engine due to lack of sales leaving the 3800 as the only V6 and the Super with it's 300 HP V8 of course. I saw the new 2010 LaCrosse at the 101 st annual auto show in Upstate, NY this weekend along with some friends and walked away dissapointed with the Asian looking overbloated shape of the car. The interior was nice but rear seat legroom was modest with the drivers seat back. Gas mileage ratings are down, curbweight up and back seat leg room didn't look any better than the current model. Such progress!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to :hijacked: your post, but what about the 2005 LaCrosse CXS wit the 3.6L V6??? A local dealer is offering one for sale with a tad under 30K miles for under $14k. I've always liked the LaCosse CXS model personally, but not sure if the 2005 model year is a good year or one to stay away from.

Sorry to :hijacked: your post, but what about the 2005 LaCrosse CXS wit the 3.6L V6??? A local dealer is offering one for sale with a tad under 30K miles for under $14k. I've always liked the LaCosse CXS model personally, but not sure if the 2005 model year is a good year or one to stay away from.

Congratulations on the new ride, but why did you choose the 3800?!?!?!?!

The easiest question I've ever been asked.

Two reasons:

(1) 253,000 miles on the Regal Series I 3800 without having a wrench taken to it, without burning a drop of oil between oil changes, and without even darkening the oil by the next oil change

(2) base CXs are inexpensive and worth every cent - low 20s versus high 20s to have a 3.6 or a V8 - and I don't experiment with newer powertrains

I've been super happy with the decision to buy this car.

You can't go wrong in a W-body powered by the 3800 series III. So far the series III motor has been solid and relatively trouble free with the only thing of note being an occasional failed drive by wire controller box. The series III motor is noted for ditching the plastic upper manifold in place of compsite steel, slightly larger intake valves and a more robust rigid bottom end to quell noise with the added bonus of making the engine even more tough.

making the 2008 version especially nice with it's bolder grille.

I saw the new 2010 LaCrosse at the 101 st annual auto show in Upstate, NY this weekend along with some friends and walked away dissapointed with the overbloated shape of the car.

Thanks, ponch, I agree with everything you wrote. I, too, read the "inventory" of changes from Series II to Series III and thought they were changes that made a great engine even better. I wouldn't have minded having an accelerator cable, so I would imagine the ETC module may go, especially in the earlier models (04 GP, 05 LaX)...maybe later, they figured this out. Plus, there's a weird split-second "flat spot" when you inch up an inclined driveway, or are stopped on an incline and need to accelerate again.

Yes, the bolder grille pushed me to buy. I thought the 05-07 grille was too 00 LeSabre. I had only wished for a Glacier Blue. That's it.

I do not like the 2010 LaCrosse. With the exception of the dashboard and frontal seating arrangement, it just doesn't do it for me. At all.

Thanks, ponch, I agree with everything you wrote. I, too, read the "inventory" of changes from Series II to Series III and thought they were changes that made a great engine even better. I wouldn't have minded having an accelerator cable, so I would imagine the ETC module may go, especially in the earlier models (04 GP, 05 LaX)...maybe later, they figured this out. Plus, there's a weird split-second "flat spot" when you inch up an inclined driveway, or are stopped on an incline and need to accelerate again.

Yes, the bolder grille pushed me to buy. I thought the 05-07 grille was too 00 LeSabre. I had only wished for a Glacier Blue. That's it.

I do not like the 2010 LaCrosse. With the exception of the dashboard and frontal seating arrangement, it just doesn't do it for me. At all.

Please do keep us updated with mileage, how and when she breaks in and likes dislikes etc. I always like to hear feedback on new car purchases. Good luck with her.

The easiest question I've ever been asked.

Two reasons:

(1) 253,000 miles on the Regal Series I 3800 without having a wrench taken to it, without burning a drop of oil between oil changes, and without even darkening the oil by the next oil change

(2) base CXs are inexpensive and worth every cent - low 20s versus high 20s to have a 3.6 or a V8 - and I don't experiment with newer powertrains

I've been super happy with the decision to buy this car.

My 3800 experience has been poor.

Threw a rod in my Camaro's Series II (III? lol) due to poor intake manifold/plenum design, allowing coolant to burn through gasket and leak down into oil and seize the bearing.

My dad had a leased GP with a Series III that burnt oil like crazy between changes. He took it in a few times for them to check it out and they claimed to not be able to find anything wrong...

I wish you better luck than us!