I Am Officially Insane

NOS2006

Okay, so I thought I was going insane before... but now I've done it: I want a 3/4 foreign car. Used, of course.

I hate the Bronco. It gets the worst gas mileage I could ever have a nightmare and dream of, it runs like $h!, doesn't want to crank over in the cold (and I'm not buying a new battery), and has other issues too. So, come spring, I'm going to fix it up as much and as quick as I can and put it on the block for sale. Hopefully I'll make a little cash off of it and save a little for my NEXT winter car...

I'm thinking about a DSM. That's right, I said it. A '95-99 Eclipse GS-T or GSX with a 5 speed. Something that will get better gas mileage (est. 30 MPG on FWD GS-T, idk about the AWD GSX), but still be a ton of fun to drive with enough passing power to get me through the day. I was considering a GP GTP for the longest, but I think I might get the smaller, lighter, less powerful Eclipse instead. Hopefully I don't pick one with a blown trans.

what about an old J-body or S-series?

THat car is asking for problems...

I know they aren't the most reliable, but I'm sure I could make it through the winter. And I said I want something with passing power, and no S-Series is going to help me with that. I've considered the Z24, too, but I'm not sure I'm sold on it.

I know they aren't the most reliable, but I'm sure I could make it through the winter. And I said I want something with passing power, and no S-Series is going to help me with that. I've considered the Z24, too, but I'm not sure I'm sold on it.

Passing power in the winter isn't going to be that necessary very often, at least I assume the roads are usually not too great in Michigan in the winter. Not saying the Eclipse would be hard to drive in the winter, but it's not like you're going to be flooring it in the snow, either.

What's wrong with the Cobalt in the winter?

Passing power in the winter isn't going to be that necessary very often, at least I assume the roads are usually not too great in Michigan in the winter. Not saying the Eclipse would be hard to drive in the winter, but it's not like you're going to be flooring it in the snow, either.

It is tuned for the summer, and to have it tuned twice a year would be ridiculous. Plus, I don't want to risk other drivers hitting me in the winter.

Winters aren't always that bad, only usually the day after we get snow. I do 40+ highway miles a day during the winter, and there's definitely a need for a little oomph.

1) Really, really $h!ty Michigan roads.

2) Rust ( Thanks, salty Michigan roads...)

Cars don't last long around here....between the weather and the roads..

Umm..have you forgotten where you live, NOS?

I've seen people try DSM as a beater, and it never works out..

A co-worker has one last winter and it caught fire on 23...I think it was on the news.... :lol:

And the S-series are fine, I've driven them on the freeways with no problems.....

The Z24s are ok...just make sure you take good care of that 2.4, and it should take care of you...

Though you might be better with the Eco (03+), and you can find them pretty cheap....

It is tuned for the summer, and to have it tuned twice a year would be ridiculous. Plus, I don't want to risk other drivers hitting me in the winter.

Winters aren't always that bad, only usually the day after we get snow. I do 40+ highway miles a day during the winter, and there's definitely a need for a little oomph.

But you don't live by me...they are crazy around here...

Makes me nervous driving the Cobalt around here.... :unsure:

Mitsubishi: For those who think Toyota's business practices are WAY too ethical!

Guest YellowJacket894
And the S-series are fine, I've driven them on the freeways with no problems.....

Yes. Just as long as you are willing to put a few mods on either engine you get, an S-Series truck is just fine. It also helps if you avoid the slushbox as well, especially with the 2.2, and just stir the pot yourself.

Yes. Just as long as you are willing to put a few mods on either engine you get, an S-Series truck is just fine. It also helps if you avoid the slushbox as well, especially with the 2.2, and just stir the pot yourself.

I said I'm looking for something with pretty good MPGs, too. Like, probably about 30 on highway.

I said I'm looking for something with pretty good MPGs, too. Like, probably about 30 on highway.

And if you want something that isn't a complete POS...

I'd say find a decent 240SX. Reliable, economical, and fun. And with its layout and part availability... you could always turn it into a real SS slaughter if your Cobalt started boring you. What? It could happen... :P

Get a Saturn SC coupe.Nuff said.

My buddy' 98 pulls 30 easy...

I'll second the Saturn, especially with a five-speed. I'm not big on Saturn's automatic (I think it's an Aisin?), but even the SOHC 1.9 moves pretty good with a stick. Decent in the snow, too, and rust won't be an issue. Gotta love plastic panels. :)

And if you want something that isn't a complete POS...

I'd say find a decent 240SX. Reliable, economical, and fun. And with its layout and part availability... you could always turn it into a real SS slaughter if your Cobalt started boring you. What? It could happen... :P

240s aren't quick (8-9 sec) stock nor do they get good gas mileage (21/27).

I'll second the Saturn, especially with a five-speed. I'm not big on Saturn's automatic (I think it's an Aisin?), but even the SOHC 1.9 moves pretty good with a stick. Decent in the snow, too, and rust won't be an issue. Gotta love plastic panels. :)

Gas mileage is great, but with a 10.5 second 0-60, it'd take me approximately 2 weeks to get to highway speed. I'm looking more in the 7 second area.

The newer SCs come with the Ecotec, which should be still faster.

So do the 02+ J bodies and N-bodies, and some of those came with the Getrag 5 speed.

Get a Mazda MX6 then. 0-60 in 7.5 and with basically the same engine, I could get 30 mpg in my much heavier, slushbox equipped Millenia if I actually tried. :P

If something breaks, it'll be pretty hard to find the part. I'm sure there are a $h! ton more W-Bodies, DSMs, and Neons around here than MX6s.

My Roadmaster averages 14.8 with about 300lbs. of tools in the trunk,

me driving like an a$$hole & 99% city. I would not trade it for some

cheap four cylinder POS in a million years, just to MAYBE double my

MPG and loose serious amounts of practicality & comfort.

My 5-speed 2.4 liter Datsun averaged only 20.1 with the same driving.

And NOS; I'm pretty sure no one ever bought a Nissan 240 for MPGs...

Actually, an SOHC 5-speed '98-99 Neon coupe gets 41 MPG highway, I found that out tonight talking to my best friend. That's VERY respectable, and they're not exactly "slouches."

Though I'd definitely opt for a DOHC and/or '00-05 coupe.

Actually, an SOHC 5-speed '98-99 Neon coupe gets 41 MPG highway, I found that out tonight talking to my best friend. That's VERY respectable, and they're not exactly "slouches."

Not surprised, the small cars of the 90's got excellent fuel economy that shame the newer "economy" cars.

Coupe died with the first generation.

Guest YellowJacket894

Well, I know I don't get 30MPG on the highway, but I know I don't go any lower than 25. I've made a fifty mile trip or so and only used about less than a quarter of a tank (this was one way).

Nah, I've realized I have no use for a truck/SUV, and I can get a much quicker, more economical car for the same price but save money on gas. I'll pass on the S-dime. :)

And, I'm retarded. I know they stopped the coupes in '00, I just had a brain fart haha.

Nah, I've realized I have no use for a truck/SUV, and I can get a much quicker, more economical car for the same price but save money on gas. I'll pass on the S-dime. :)

And, I'm retarded. I know they stopped the coupes in '00, I just had a brain fart haha.

Considering I had a brain fart in the other thread, you are forgiven. :)

Edited by Dodgefan

I love W-Bodies, are you kidding me?! I'd love to have any L67 W-Body, but even an L32 would be fine. However, I do want as much MPG as possible, and a roomy vehicle isn't necessary. (PS I've been driving my dad's '05 GP the last 3 months haha)

Oh, and f@#k DSMs:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZDGPPoGvFs

If something breaks, it'll be pretty hard to find the part. I'm sure there are a $h! ton more W-Bodies, DSMs, and Neons around here than MX6s.

If it's engine related, they put similar KLDE into Millenias, MX6s, and 626s (intake manifolds being among the few differences)... I'm pretty sure those combined are easier to find than some ghetto Eclipse. Plus, an imported KLZE (higher compression, hp up to 200 from 160-170) will only run you about $800 on ebay if you toast the engine. The KLDE/KLZE is a gem of an engine. Smooth, throaty, and with a consistent, flat torque curve. You have no reason not to consider one if you're considering half the vehicles you've posted about in this thread. :P

bahahahahahaha

not sure whats funnier... the quotes ("your M3 is slow" and "Dude was that your engine?!?!?!?") or his coke nail... haha

You get a 95-99 Neon, and I'll have to drive across the city to give you a kick in the nuts.. :P (actually, the car will do that for you..)

They are great on MPGs (we had a 95-almost got to the UP on a tank on gas)-the money you save in gas you will spend in fixing the rest of the car....

Out of everyone I know who has owned a first gen-nothing but problems.....

and the 00-02s had issues too...they burn oil like crazy....

IF you have to get a Neon, stick with the 03+....

I can't exactly knock my '01 Impala 9C1, the 3.8 isn't a slouch and the mileage has never dropped below 27 on the highway. I know you're looking for a coupe and you have a certain dis like of the W's, but you can't knock their reliability and mileage standards.

:yes:

I heart the 3.8s...

They still get decent milage-and you could drive the piss out of it... :):P