Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GXP for G8 and ST a go?

Its kinda bittersweet for me... im super excited for a 430hp Ute.... but i have to... HAVE TO find a way to buy one... ill have to wait till the second model year at least for dealer markups to hopefully subside, and also because i have to wait till i can muster some money...

Camino, what do you think pricing should be as far as the ST goes?

Its kinda bittersweet for me... im super excited for a 430hp Ute.... but i have to... HAVE TO find a way to buy one... ill have to wait till the second model year at least for dealer markups to hopefully subside, and also because i have to wait till i can muster some money...

Camino, what do you think pricing should be as far as the ST goes?

Hard to say. In Oz, the Ute is less expensive than the sedan. Here, we can only hope that holds true

i hope so...

sorry to be inquisitive, but will the Ute weigh less then the sedan? in theory, i think it might, since an open bed must weigh less then an upholstered rear half of an interior, plus the weight of the rear doors, windows... etc etc

No need to be sorry. Yes, I believe it is lighter but I don't have the numbers. Try the Holden site and do the conversions.

Will both V6 (DOHC) and the L76 OHV V8 run on regular unleaded, not premium? **I hope they do...** Did the LS1/2 run on regular in the 04-06 Goat?

LS1 and 2 worked on regular. The LS3 are recommended premium on Chevy's website.

For comparison:

2008 Cadillac CTS (auto) : 3874 (likely without the sunroof)

2008 Saturn Vue XR (auto): 4076 [FWD], 4325 [AWD]

I sure am glad GM is utilizing GME's experience in engineering lightweight, FWD vehicles to solve their fuel economy challenges... :AH-HA_wink:

Actually, when choosing between a coupe and a sedan, the sedan is always doomed. :lol:

It's going to be tough if the GXP looks the part.

Camaros are in my blood and it's definitely the cooler car. But it'll be on every street corner and the styling might become dated quickly. Adding a 3rd Camaro to my stable would be a no brainer and I'm sure I'd love every minute of it.

The G8 gets merit because it is more practical, less common. But most importantly Pontiac is the division at GM that represents who I am the best. (That is, from a historical and educated perspective and not the ignorant minded drivel of the average consumer) My style *is* the WS6 Trans Am of a few years back, or the '70 GTO Judge, or the '71 Trans Am SD455 or the '68 Firebird, or the '67 GTO, etc. etc.

It's great that GM is finally making my life difficult by having so many new EXCELLENT products from it's entire portfolio of divisions as opposed to one or two.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

It's going to be tough if the GXP looks the part.

Camaros are in my blood and it's definitely the cooler car. But it'll be on every street corner and the styling might become dated quickly. Adding a 3rd Camaro to my stable would be a no brainer and I'm sure I'd love every minute of it.

The G8 gets merit because it is more practical, less common. But most importantly Pontiac is the division at GM that represents who I am the best. (That is, from a historical and educated perspective and not the ignorant minded drivel of the average consumer) My style *is* the WS6 Trans Am of a few years back, or the '70 GTO Judge, or the '71 Trans Am SD455 or the '68 Firebird, or the '67 GTO, etc. etc.

It's great the GM is finally making my life difficult by having so many new EXCELLENT products from it's entire portfolio of divisions as opposed to one or two.

It is a good problem to have. :yes:

GM for sure has a weight problem with a lot of their vehicles. It's funny that an H3 pickup, G8 GXP and Hummer H4 are all a go, but a rear drive Impala that would beat any of them by 5 mpg is killed due to CAFE. The GTO had 400 hp and no one bought it, I am not yet convinced the G8 will be any kind of success. It it too similar to the Aussie version just like the GTO was.

You and I are complete opposites. :P

That's ok, I know I'm in the minority these days.

It used to be that sedans were the red-headed step children that nobody wanted, now it's like pulling teeth to find a coupe.

But I'm not going to change just because it's tough to find what I want. :lol:

The GTO had 400 hp and no one bought it, I am not yet convinced the G8 will be any kind of success. It it too similar to the Aussie version just like the GTO was.

Actually, the GTO sold pretty well. Better than the WS6 Trans Am and Camaro SS a couple years before it. There just isn't a huge market for a $33k coupe these days. The G8 has so many advantages over the GTO: 4 doors, a real trunk, better suspension, 6-spd auto, available V6. The list goes on and on.

Will both V6 (DOHC) and the L76 OHV V8 run on regular unleaded, not premium? **I hope they do...** Did the LS1/2 run on regular in the 04-06 Goat?

lt1, lt4, ls1, ls2, ls3, ls4, ls6, ls7

GM permium v8's run on premium... gm truck v8s run on regular thats the way gm's 8 cyl go...

For comparison:

2008 Cadillac CTS (auto) : 3874 (likely without the sunroof)

2008 Saturn Vue XR (auto): 4076 [FWD], 4325 [AWD]

I sure am glad GM is utilizing GME's experience in engineering lightweight, FWD vehicles to solve their fuel economy challenges... :AH-HA_wink:

Saab 9-3 Aero 2.8l V6 manual = 3,175

Saab 9-5 Aero 2.0t I4 manual = 3,470

just sayin....

edit: 400lbs lighter than my CTS with the same engine performance numbers... the 9-3 must go like snot!

It used to be that sedans were the red-headed step children that nobody wanted, now it's like pulling teeth to find a coupe.

That's exactly how my dad felt, and 99% of the vehicles I grew up with were two-door/coupes. My parents finally made the change to 4-door/sedans with their last two purchases - mom with her '05 Saturn VUE AWD and dad with his '06 Pontiac G6 V6. Their last car purchases included a '02 Pontiac Sunfire SE coupe and a '95 Chevy Monte Carlo LS. Why the change? One word - GRANDKIDS!

Just be like me...

THRIVE on being different :D

I guess people started preferring sedans when the asians came to prominence. After all, they are the ones that took the "fun" and "interesting" factors out of cars.

Now it seems that we're determined to take what little interest and personality is left out of them in the future via electricity... An electric car is no better than my washer or dryer; it's just another appliance that's devoid of character.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Saab 9-3 Aero 2.8l V6 manual = 3,175

Saab 9-5 Aero 2.0t I4 manual = 3,470

just sayin....

edit: 400lbs lighter than my CTS with the same engine performance numbers... the 9-3 must go like snot!

The G8 doesn't seem any heavier than a CTS, etc so I don't view the weight as that big a deal. I was more picking on the porky Vue that our friend at Opel sent us. The Saab guys seem to have made the most of what they had to work with -- it's hard to believe it's even remotely related to a G6 or an Aura.

I would gladly take a "porky" label if the cars are solid and well built.

I think they are something that would sell in good numbers, they are interesting, and not many new cars seem to be as far as I'm concerned.

The SportsWagon is cool.

:thumbsup:

Any pictures of the Ute?

Picking a color is going to be tough.

Black, the red in the back of the pic, blue, or green. Silver is too boring for such a unique vehicle, purple is blah, yellow would get old too quick, and the other red is simply not as good as the other one. Black looks good on most any car, and the red looks pretty nice. Blue is more conservative but still stands out more than silver, and the green is just frickin' cool and goes with the uniqueness of the truck. I'd pick the green, personally. Then either the black or red.

Wait... is that orange that I am calling red? Sort of looks like it.