6th gen Camaro wish list.

Chazman

The Gen V will come in two displacements, 6.2L and probably a 5.3L. And yes, DOHC versions are being developed.

Did you heard that from insider? I'm asking because the latest rumors are there isn't any new v8 in near future especially dohc since Ultra v8 is canceled and gen V small block will maybe come with N.G corvette in 2012/13. There is rumors that gen V will have DI, vvt etc but it won't be DOHC. Block from CIB engine is different than the one from DOHC engine since all cams are in heads and there isn't need for pushrod and space for cam in block so i don't think that GM will use same block for ohv (or CIB) and DOHC engine.

I wish for a V6 and a V8 and VVT with AFM also something that can run on E85! (Need a 6spd auto and manual tranny too) ALSO NO 4 Cylinder lets not repeat the Mustangs II fate. A small 2.8L DI V6 is fine but no 4 banger, I am not even against putting a diesel 2.9L like the CTS in Euro. has in it. (Much rather have then a 4 banger, that is a discrase to an AMERICAN MUSCLE CAR!)

Edited by gm4life

i wouldnt say id buy it, but from 1962 till 1970, a 4 cylinder was the base motor for my nova!

trust me, i will never buy a Camaro without a V8... but im realizing more and more its the mainstream models that support the enthusiast models.... so without the sales the 4 cylinder might bring in, i might lose my 500hp monster camaro!

Did you heard that from insider? I'm asking because the latest rumors are there isn't any new v8 in near future especially dohc since Ultra v8 is canceled and gen V small block will maybe come with N.G corvette in 2012/13. There is rumors that gen V will have DI, vvt etc but it won't be DOHC. Block from CIB engine is different than the one from DOHC engine since all cams are in heads and there isn't need for pushrod and space for cam in block so i don't think that GM will use same block for ohv (or CIB) and DOHC engine.

The Gen V smallblock is safe.

All I know is: No V8=Blasphemy.

Play around with diesel, turbo 4s and 6s or whatever. But don't touch my V8.

GM never said it was abandoning V8s, actually, they've said that the V8 will remain. GM said it would not invest in a new line of V8 engines which means that LS will be the solitary line for GM as a whole in the forseable future. Or, basically that the N* replacement is on indefinite hiatus and will not be replaced by a new engine.

If the Camaro does not offer a V8 then I guess I'll move up to a Corvette. If GM does not offer a V8, then I'll go elsewhere or buy classic.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

No 4 Cylinder.

Two 3.6 V6 engines. one in the 250 HP range and a second in the 300 HP range

One V8 would remain but it will be at 4.7 liters and limited. [Note Tom Wallace leader of the Vette program spoke the other day for ideas where the Vette would go and he said less weight less displacement but still fast and nimble.]

One look at whar Ford is doing with the V6 and Tubo's I feel will be a trend. They are considering removing the 4.6 from many applications including the Ford GT and some F 150 wil little or no lose of power.

Wight around 3,000-3,200 pounds.

I think a dimensionally smaller Camaro is a good place to start with its implied weight loss. It would also fit the Camaro tradition better than the 5th gen in that respect. As all cars are proportionately smaller than when the most legendary Camaros were built, the 5th gen being even larger than the classic Camaros puts it in an unfamiliar place within the Chevy lineup.

Obviously, weight reduction via more expensive materials will have to be part of the recipe as well, especially with a V8 in the lineup.

The V8 is, and will always be, a Camaro pre-requisite in my view. Not simply because Camaro's identity is wrapped in V8 legend, but also for the sake of maintaining the levels of torque that make a street-driven performance car worth owning.

Stylingwise, an all-new design drawing its heritage cues from a single previous gen is what I'd like to see. My vote would go to the 2nd gen here. It is the generation that would most lend itself to a truly modern shape with tidy proportions. It won't look as "forced" as other gens might.

A V-8 for sure, but GM could make some serious coin by dialing in the V-6 right. I love the new Mustang but the 4.0 Ford just doesn't cut it. I think someone in another thread said something about the power of a four and the fuel economy of a V-8 and they were not far off.

Since most of the people that buy Mustangs are your typical secretary type or older men or who knows, people who do settle for a V-6 for whatever reason...

It only stands to reason that having the V-6 really dialed in as far as NVH and so forth is of utter importance. Also, Ford toyed around with having a handeling package for V-6 Mustangs but abandoned the idea. I'd love something about as stiff as the old F-41 Suspension in the old Chevelle SS cars or the suspension in a 70's Cutlass-just a little bit firm-combined with a car that actually liked to turn.

That and Hugger Orange paint.

Chris

No 4 Cylinder.

Yeah, but are those going to get 35 mpg? Actually, Camaro will propbably need some combos that do even better than that, to make up for the sub 30 mpg V8's.

Yeah, but are those going to get 35 mpg? Actually, Camaro will propbably need some combos that do even better than that, to make up for the sub 30 mpg V8's.

First off all of us need to stop thinking in todays terms for the 35 MPD as we will see new technology in lighter cars in power plants we do not have right now.

Second the 35 MPG is a average so if GM can off set the Camaro with a good selling high mileage car or if the Volt becomes a reality as a common daily driver. we can come in a little under the average in a lower volume car.

As for the V8. I see it in the car that is the top model that sells in limited numbers and you will pay the price to own one. Other we need to watch Ford and if they go with the duel turbo V6 that they are considering to replace the 4.6 V8 in the GT. If this car works it is a no brainer for GM to do the same. Even if you keep your V8 it is going to shrink to 4.7 liters and 150 HP less according to The Vette manager.

The V6 is going to be the bread and butter do all engine for most of GM's vehicles. Combined with new technology and less weight in cars it should do well. Also I expect more development on the 4 cylinder that will go in many of the smaller cars to offset the milage on the bigger cars.

It is more of the same game they play with Cafe today but with less weight and less power but still fun to drive cars being available. We will pay the price for any and all advances in technology and composits used.

The unknow is the trunp card here as a lot of things will change while others stay the same. Carbon Fiber is more than a selling point for the ZR-1 it is really being tested to see what it will do in the real world and if there really is a future for it in the average car. There are many more things still on the table to be looked at. The 3.6 can be made into a 3.2 turbo and get more milage and even more power.

Even if you keep your V8 it is going to shrink to 4.7 liters and 150 HP less according to The Vette manager.

Don't take that literally. I think he was just making the point that a lighter car can have the same performance with a smaller engine.

There are no plans for a 4.7 GenV.

No 4 Cylinder.

One V8 would remain but it will be at 4.7 liters and limited. [Note Tom Wallace leader of the Vette program spoke the other day for ideas where the Vette would go and he said less weight less displacement but still fast and nimble.]

One look at whar Ford is doing with the V6 and Tubo's I feel will be a trend. They are considering removing the 4.6 from many applications including the Ford GT and some F 150 wil little or no lose of power.

Wight around 3,000-3,200 pounds.

If GM removes the V8 from the Mustang, it'll be great for us, because Camaro will sell like crazy.

I don't understand why these automakers don't get it... You make the mainstream cars turbo 6ers and 4s, then LIMIT the V8 to X-thousand copies in each car (Because going forward, and even now, V8s are for the enthusiasts anyway)

Why not make a kick ass Turbo V6 Mustang/Camaro that handles well and is highly desireable. Then make a limited (ZR1 style, except maybe not that limited) top of the line V8 version.

Better yet, why not innovate via E85 and hydrogen and KEEP the V8s?!?!? But no, that'd make too much sense in our "downsize everything and be a girly bitch for the sake of the world" society. I'm so tired of the downsizing of EVERYTHING.

there's a lot i'd like to respond to in this thread. but my first question is, what technology can we expect to see in engines, besides the obvious DI and turbos. I just don't see with those two ingredients, based on current standards, how we can achieve the kind of numbers we're all dreaming of achieving.

As for the V8. I see it in the car that is the top model that sells in limited numbers and you will pay the price to own one. Other we need to watch Ford and if they go with the duel turbo V6 that they are considering to replace the 4.6 V8 in the GT. If this car works it is a no brainer for GM to do the same. Even if you keep your V8 it is going to shrink to 4.7 liters and 150 HP less according to The Vette manager.

150 hp less than what ? LS3? Then this engine would have 285 hp..which is lower than present 3.6 l V6 DI and even vortec 4.8 l v8 ohv from GM makes 300 hp.

So what use there will be from that kind of engine?

Now future camaro should have V6 with range from 260-340 (maybe 2 v6 engines- one with around 280 hp and one with 320-330 ho) .Also inline 4 engine wouldn't be bad for European market.But I4 with Turbocharger and around 230, 240 hp. Now i see plenty sports car with diesel engine here so maybe camaro with diesel for European market. :huh:

And top models..well there could be one with TTv6 and around 400+ HP and even above that..Gen v smallblock ohv with 5.3 l, DI, vvt and forced induction with over 500 hp.

And if it is possible make 6th gen camaro.

Edited by dado

With 326 HP already, imagine it turbocharged..

To me it is an undercooked engine as GM likes to reduce the output in trucks compared to cars. Take the example of LS2, it is rated 367hp in the GMT 900s while it had 400hp in the Vettes, GTO and the CTS-V. The LS3 in Yukon Denali is 390hp, while 436 in the new vette.

I think GM can easily squeeze close to 360 hp in this motor.

Lighter you say? How much does that B-pillar add in lbs. :P

The 6th gen. Camaro should look more '69 in styling... with those

super-cool speed lines on the fenders that come off the

wheelwells and crease the sheetmetal. The 5th gen. since it is more

'67/'68 in styling has the simple round wheel wells. That's the logical

evolution, and in that same light a more pronounced and agressive

headlight & grille would be great!

Lighter you say? How much does that B-pillar add in lbs. :P

The 6th gen. Camaro should look more '69 in styling... with those

super-cool speed lines on the fenders that come off the

wheelwells and crease the sheetmetal. The 5th gen. since it is more

'67/'68 in styling has the simple round wheel wells. That's the logical

evolution, and in that same light a more pronounced and agressive

headlight & grille would be great!

The B-Pillar probably adds less weight than the extra bolstering they'd need to take the B-Pillar out to keep structural integrity.

The only thing really that different from the '67-68 and '69 are the fender flares/crease across body. That's not enough to make a new generation out of IMHO. However, if they wanted to incorporate those flares/creases onto an ultra modern 1970.5 reiteration I'd be very happy.

1st: I was being sarcastic, I know that the crappy glued in rear window & B-post make it lighter.

2nd: NOS - you might want to take a better look at a '67/'68 before you go putting your foot in

your mouth, any true Camaro fan would know that only the hardtop greenhouse is shared with

the '67-'68 and '69 Camaros. The headlights, tail lights, front & rear valances and even the RS

trim were ALL different for '69. Both the RS & standard grilles, gas filler location, parking light

location and even the doors were different. The optional hoods were revised and the bumpers

were completely done over as well, more integrated and elegant.

Anyone who says the '67/'68 and '69 Camaros basically look the same drives me nuts.

True, mechanically they were almost exactly identical but it's laughable to say that a car is

basically unchanged because the roof, header panel, glass, trunklid & door handles stay the

same while every other piece of its' sheetmetal/trim/lighting/bumpers etc. is revised.

These days, in 2008 a typical manufacturer changes less than that & calls the model "all new"

Everyone wnats that. The hot topic question is whether a V8 is a 'absolutely, gotta-have-it, no compromise, would rather buy a Toyota' requirement for you.

Maybe the question we should be asking is, do we absolutely gotta have an internal combustion engine in a Camaro?

I guess with that said, maybe a V6 doesn't sound so bad.

But really, I'd like to have a a V8 option. Maybe not a big, honkin', over the top, supercharged engine, required to move 2(+) tons of mass. But more along the lines of an efficient, normally aspirated smallblock with more tham enough power to move a "ponycar sized" ponycar.

Edited by Chazman