Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Cars nobody in ther right mind wants

What are some cars of the last 25-30 years that nobody in their right mind wants, but were unique-special-a creative half assed attempt for their time? Or are way over rated by their fan base?

Triumph TR-7

3rd gen Mazda RX-7 (first two gen's were cool but third gen cars are fragile on a good day)

Sterling

Anything built by the French

Anything built by the Koreans

Damn near anything built by Fiat

All of the itinerations of the GTI Volkswagen between the first gen and current gen (first and current gen are decent cars, but what came in between is about like a cow patty sandwich)

Porsche 924

Porsche 914

1980-81 Turbo Trans Am Firebird

Delorean

Chryler Lebaron Convertible (I know a guy who restores them, they were basically worthless new)

What am I missing here? What else should be on the list?

Chris

Ford Mustang SVO

Mercury Capri.... the last Australian built ones

the '82 - '87 Lincoln Continental - What made them unique was the available 2.4 litre BMW I6.

The extremely rare 5-speed, AWD, diesel Tempo that Ford apparently produced... the parents of one of my friends growing up had one.

What are some cars of the last 25-30 years that nobody in their right mind wants, but were unique-special-a creative half assed attempt for their time? Or are way over rated by their fan base?

Triumph TR-7

3rd gen Mazda RX-7 (first two gen's were cool but third gen cars are fragile on a good day)

Sterling

Anything built by the French

Anything built by the Koreans

Damn near anything built by Fiat

All of the itinerations of the GTI Volkswagen between the first gen and current gen (first and current gen are decent cars, but what came in between is about like a cow patty sandwich)

Porsche 924

Porsche 914

1980-81 Turbo Trans Am Firebird

Delorean

Chryler Lebaron Convertible (I know a guy who restores them, they were basically worthless new)

What am I missing here? What else should be on the list?

Chris

Wow.

I have to respectfully disagree with almost that whole list.

The TR7 'vert was the hottest doorstop, ever.

The 3rd Gen RX7 was a real Japanese sportscar when compared to its competition

The Sterlings were another set of lookers. The 5 door was a Rover 3500 reincarnated.

Who could resist a LeCar with a canvas roof---or a 505 Wagon? The 505 Turbo foretold the euro-sedan future--space & fuel efficient w/decent performance.

Koreans--can't argue/

Even .5 of a Porsche is OK with me.

T/A Turbo...embarassing but cool in a Burt Reynolds in Boogie Nights way...

Delorean-bad car with cool doors. Still an awesome way to make an entrance.

LeBaron 'vert--singlehandedly brought back the low cost 'vert to the US & made the weekend rental of a 4 seat droptop possible...

All IMHO, of course.

I guess I'm more of a 'there's something to love" in each one kind of guy...like kids, I want to make excuses for all of them.

Edited by enzl

Half the cars C&Gers own. :P :wink:

Ha! YOU said it....

:AH-HA_wink:

LOL

Now I know it isn't a BlackViper favorite when I say it, but the Fiero would be on my list for sure. It was a risky effort, but the early Fieros were *whispers* terrible cars!

That aside, Fly will be mad at me for a week, but the Aurora is a Northstar engine in a gooey package.

As far as rides that won't have people yelling in my ears because I don't like them...?

Taken literally.....

Porsche 912 and 914. "Volkswagen Porsches".

Chrysler Maserati TC.

Any Caddy with a 4-6-8 engine.

The first Miatas are liked by some, but as far as I'm concerned they fit the description...

Aztec is a no brainer, the dustbuster vans not far behind..

As far as "unique-special creative" that nobody seems to want, one car that ASTONISHES me (but I don't feel it's "over-rated" in any way whatsoever) is the Acura NSX.

It sure never lived up to what I thought were it's expectations. I think it's an overlooked supercar, nobody seemed to want it, but I have no idea why.

>>"Chryler Lebaron Convertible (I know a guy who restores them, they were basically worthless new)"<<

Talked to a guy about a year ago, stopped by because he had a B-58 & B-59 Buick in his driveway.... and 3 turbo LeBaron converts. He restores them, too, tells me nice ones are worth $20-25K, and he's sold at least one for that price ($25K). I still don't believe it, but then again; I've never checked up on his claim.

The mid-70's Citroen SM's were gorgeous, and quite advanced for their time. A friend of mine owned one in the early '80s - very cool car.

I would add the '81 Fairmont to this list of awful cars.

Anything from AMC in the late '70s, except maybe the 2 door Matador.

>>"Chryler Lebaron Convertible (I know a guy who restores them, they were basically worthless new)"<<

Talked to a guy about a year ago, stopped by because he had a B-58 & B-59 Buick in his driveway.... and 3 turbo LeBaron converts. He restores them, too, tells me nice ones are worth $20-25K, and he's sold at least one for that price ($25K). I still don't believe it, but then again; I've never checked up on his claim.

'80s LeBarons? $2k seems like a high price for those clunkers...

Half the cars C&Gers own. :P :wink:

I've often felt like if we got all of the C&G family together the parking lot would look like a southern Alabama Wal-Mart. But everyone here loves ther rides, which is what's important, right?

Chris

I've often felt like if we got all of the C&G family together the parking lot would look like a southern Alabama Wal-Mart. But everyone here loves ther rides, which is what's important, right?

Chris

Oh really?! Hmmmmm. :scratchchin:

Ford Mustang SVO

Mercury Capri.... the last Australian built ones

the '82 - '87 Lincoln Continental - What made them unique was the available 2.4 litre BMW I6.

The extremely rare 5-speed, AWD, diesel Tempo that Ford apparently produced... the parents of one of my friends growing up had one.

Don't laugh too hard, but I almost bought a SVO Mustang as a father son project...then almost bought another one because it was sage green and an 86 only colorwhich they only built about a dozen or so of and I love green cars.

Before you laugh too hard I also almost bought a pristine (one owner 9,000 mile) Cosworth Vega. You could shave with the shine in the paint.

Alas, common sense took over at the last minute...

Now if I could just talk myself out of buying that ratty Alfa ragtop sitting outside my friend's body shop.

Chris

Don't laugh too hard, but I almost bought a SVO Mustang as a father son project...then almost bought another one because it was sage green and an 86 only colorwhich they only built about a dozen or so of and I love green cars.

I've always liked the SVOs...they were pretty special cars. I remember that color also...when I was in college I knew some one that had an '86 LX 5.0 notchback in sage green, had to be a rare car..

That's the other car I regret not buying. About 9 years ago i had a chance to buy a 74 Vega GT with a seriously built 350. Car was one of what must have been 3 rust free Vegas left in the world and would run 12's on street tires. I had a foreign exchange student living with me from France who kept talking about European cars. Had my buddy show up at the house and give the kid a white nuckle ride in that Vega.

For some strange reason Oliver never mentioned European cars again. He did smile a lot getting out of that Vega, though.

Chris