Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Variance

Lincoln phase-out bad sign for Wixom

13 posts in this topic

Link: http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0.../C01-289382.htm

Lincoln phase-out bad sign for Wixom

Automaker will halt Lincoln LS production there next year; no new models are in the works.

Ford Motor Co. will stop production of the Lincoln LS midsize luxury sedan next year, a move analysts say increases the likelihood the automaker will close the Wixom plant where the car is built.

The LS sedan debuted in 1999 and production will end after the 2006 model year, Ford spokeswoman Lydia Cisaruk told Bloomberg News. The factory stopped building the Ford Thunderbird in June and will continue to assemble the Lincoln Town Car and the low-volume, $140,000 Ford GT sports car.

"They're not earmarked for" new models, Joe Langley, an analyst at automotive forecaster CSM Worldwide in Farmington Hills, said of the Wixom plant.

The Town Car could be moved to a large car factory in St. Thomas, Ontario, that produces the Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis.

The Wixom plant opened in 1957 and has about 1,800 employees that work on a single production shift. Ford spokeswoman Anne Marie Gattari said the automaker has "nothing to announce" concerning the Wixom factory's future.

Lincoln LS demand has dropped 18 percent to 14,197 units this year, and overall Lincoln sales have fallen 7.1 percent. LS sales peaked in 2000 at 51,039 units. Ford is preparing to build a new Lincoln sedan -- the Zephyr -- in Mexico this fall, and has earmarked a plant in Atlanta to build additional Lincoln sedans, company and union officials say.

In response to mounting losses in North America, Ford is undertaking another round of deep cost cuts, including factory closings. In recent months, company officials have indicated Ford has four extra assembly plants in North America.

Bloomberg News contributed to this report.

Already know. :angry: Also goodbye Town Car. Goodbye GT. (only a few year car anyways). Next super car gets built somewhere else. Set to close by may 2007. If Ford continues to panic, it could be closed by the end of next year. Workers are starting to transfer now. A few layoff happen by the end of this year... Goodbye Wixom. :( This is just the start....

Ford really doesn't care about giving Lincoln any CARS worth a damn, I see...

And then there were three. Three models.. well, at least until the Zepher comes along it and Ford could've done a little more to make it more than just a fusion rebadge. I think the doomsday predictions of the lincoln brand made over the last few years are looking more and more realistic. It's a shame too. Ford has so many foreign luxury companies, you'd think they'd give some of the PAG platforms and technology to the lincoln brand. Edited by Cadillacfan85

Ford has so many foreign luxury companies, you'd think they'd give some of the PAG platforms and technology to the lincoln brand.

[post="3645"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

They did that with the Lincoln LS (platform shared with Jaguar S-Type). Unfortunately, they didn't really update the LS over 5 years..it seems they ignored it.

It sounds like they are going to be doing that with an AWD LS replacement (Continental?) on the Volvo S80-based platform (D3?) used for the Five Hundred...

Ford really doesn't seem to have a clear strategy for Mercury or Lincoln..

I think all the doomsday scenarios for Lincoln Mercury are overblown. Go over to BON and it's a completely different attitude. Both Lincoln and Mercury have a lot of product in the pipeline over the next few years. While it's sad about Wixom, Ford is still in the process of trimming excess fat off the company. The LS was a good car, but it was expensive and I also read something about Jaguar not wanting to share platforms with FML products. Ford would be better off using a stretched version of the Mustang platform for RWD Lincoln and Mercury cars. I also remember reading a while back that as soon as LM gets 500,000 vehicles sold, Bill Ford will give the green light for more differentiated products. They are approaching that target. Maybe it's just because I am an optimist, but I see no reason to begin panicking about Lincoln Mercury's future...there's lots of stuff coming that you guys keep forgetting. Edit: Also, Town Car production is likely moving to Atlanta or St. Thomas...it is not being killed off. Edited by mustang84

The Catera, though a nice car, never could give the Linconl LS a thorouogh smackdown. The CTS & CTS-V though is like having Mike Tyson fight Bill Gates.

By the time the CTS-V hit the streets the tired old LS wiht it's BMWish styling and lackluster performance was a dead duck!

Posted Image

They did that with the Lincoln LS (platform shared with Jaguar S-Type).  Unfortunately, they didn't really update the LS over 5 years..it seems they ignored it.

It sounds like they are going to be doing that with an AWD LS replacement (Continental?) on the Volvo S80-based platform (D3?) used for the Five Hundred...

Ford really doesn't seem to have a clear strategy for Mercury or Lincoln..

[post="3660"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Very true..there are postiives....

As far as the Town Car, close sources say it is a dead duck. Check the sales
if you don't believe me.

The GM/crown vic will probably sell in its place...

I think all the doomsday scenarios for Lincoln Mercury are overblown.  Go over to BON and it's a completely different attitude.  Both Lincoln and Mercury have a lot of product in the pipeline over the next few years.  While it's sad about Wixom, Ford is still in the process of trimming excess fat off the company.

The LS was a good car, but it was expensive and I also read something about Jaguar not wanting to share platforms with FML products.  Ford would be better off using a stretched version of the Mustang platform for RWD Lincoln and Mercury cars.

I also remember reading a while back that as soon as LM gets 500,000 vehicles sold, Bill Ford will give the green light for more differentiated products.  They are approaching that target.  Maybe it's just because I am an optimist, but I see no reason to begin panicking about Lincoln Mercury's future...there's lots of stuff coming that you guys keep forgetting.

Edit: Also, Town Car production is likely moving to Atlanta or St. Thomas...it is not being killed off.

[post="3679"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Opps..sorry..I meant the qoute Mustang.... B)  :P

Yes, the LS was essentially a flop. They figured it was "good enough" and thought the car could just sell itself. But the division heads and L-M dealers really didn't care. It was supposed to be "like a BMW". But, how about a Lincoln being a LINCOLN instead?? Edited by Chicagoland

Sadly, I don't see Lincoln, or maybe even Mercury having futures at this point. Its just too bad Ford's management are so stupid and careless, and don't even give me those Nasser excuses or budget-crunch ones either-its been at least 3 years-they've had more than enough times. They really should not be scratching their heads wondering why the only Mercury's doing well are Mountaineer and Grand Marquis. I expect the Milan probably not to meet sales expectations, but to do better than major-league Montego, Mariner, and Monterey disappointments. And Lincoln-I see them kicking the bucket at this rate before any other currently faltering North American brand. Yes, Nasser and budget cuts did contribute to Lincoln's downfall, but so did Billy Ford and the rest of the management, and I'm sure dealers didn't help either, nor did the idea of "Hey, let's introduce a chromed up F-150 SuperCrew-probably for less than a comparable Lariat trim level! I mean, they'd sell better than a modern rear-drive luxury sedan we'll at least just barely try to advertise and keep fresh, right?"

I expect the Milan probably not to meet sales expectations, but to do better than major-league Montego, Mariner, and Monterey disappointments.

Mariner's not a disappointment. It is outselling the Mountaineer. And the Montego is picking up in sales - the Mountaineer only outsold it by 558 in August. Edited by ehaase

Mariner's not a disappointment.  It is outselling the Mountaineer.  And the Montego is picking up in sales - the Mountaineer only outsold it by 558 in August.

[post="5208"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree..The Mariner is doing good...even as a rebadge...Mercury is ok at the Moment...though Lincoln has it tough right now...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0