AHHHH!!! SALT!!!!!AHHHHH!!!!!

daves87rs

I hate salt! :censored:

My wife's car froze shut-and she chose to drive my cav!

This Cavalier has not seen salt period-since it rolled (new) out of the dealership in April of 2004.....

She drove it this morning...when there was still snow on it...(good amount of snow in wheel wells)....but I can't see much-but I do see a little salt underneath the Cav... :nono:

Since it was still wet outside, can't really tell too much......

The underbody of this car still looks nearly brand new.....

Since it was the first time-I'm hoping it won't hurt it-I even wiped undernearth the doors....

My car hates me right-guess I'll have to hurry that eco supercharger.....

Damn I'm pissed right now! :pokeowned:

Edited by daves87rs

I hate salt too, killed the Shadow :angry:

The Prizm has never been exposed to salt before last winter, when I worked under the car the summer before last in KS it had no rust under it or on it whatsoever.

The Intrepid is rust free underneath, somehow, despite living most of its life in New England.

I try to wash them as much as possible.

Man ... if your Cavalier is hating you, I can only imagine what my '87 MC LS thinks of me....he he.

*pauses*

Though, it couldn't hate me THAT much ... since it has started every single time this winter, even in the sub-zero temps. And, I got to work just fine this morning, despite the 10.2 inches of snow we had (though, it was forecasted only to be 3-6...heh).

Anyway ... I feel your pain. Maybe I'll have a winter beater ... next year.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Play with the fire, and your gonna get burned" ... Steve Wariner ... 'Some Fools Never Learn'

I hate salt too, killed the Shadow :angry:

The Prizm has never been exposed to salt before last winter, when I worked under the car the summer before last in KS it had no rust under it or on it whatsoever.

The Intrepid is rust free underneath, somehow, despite living most of its life in New England.

I try to wash them as much as possible.

Rust free? That is a surprise......

It worries me ...I can see what it has done to our other Cavalier.

It has seen winters since 03, and the underbody is showing its age (though no rust yet-execpt exhaust)-but rust is starting to form under 2 of the 4 doors...even though her car gets washed all winter long....

And the Cobalt still looks ok underneath( only 3rd winter), and the doors still look good.....

And 14 Michigan winters made the Wagon look very...rusty.....

Man ... if your Cavalier is hating you, I can only imagine what my '87 MC LS thinks of me....he he.

*pauses*

Though, it couldn't hate me THAT much ... since it has started every single time this winter, even in the sub-zero temps. And, I got to work just fine this morning, despite the 10.2 inches of snow we had (though, it was forecasted only to be 3-6...heh).

Anyway ... I feel your pain. Maybe I'll have a winter beater ... next year.

"Play with the fire, and your gonna get burned" ... Steve Wariner ... 'Some Fools Never Learn'

Yeah-it hates me....It's running pretty rough right now.... :rolleyes:

The part that kills me is that I have a beater- The Cobalt. It will haul the kid and my butt wherever I go....all year long. It replaced the aging wagon.....

The Cav doesn't see rough weather-it's duty is to go custom/become college ride when I head back to school this year....

I was suppposed to work that way.....

Yeah-it hates me....It's running pretty rough right now.... :rolleyes:

The part that kills me is that I have a beater- The Cobalt. It will haul the kid and my butt wherever I go....all year long. It replaced the aging wagon.....

The Cav doesn't see rough weather-it's duty is to go custom/become college ride when I head back to school this year....

I was suppposed to work that way.....

Isn't there an old jungle saying, "No plans work like you want them to after you get married and have kids."

Rust free? That is a surprise......

It worries me ...I can see what it has done to our other Cavalier.

It has seen winters since 03, and the underbody is showing its age (though no rust yet-execpt exhaust)-but rust is starting to form under 2 of the 4 doors...even though her car gets washed all winter long....

And the Cobalt still looks ok underneath( only 3rd winter), and the doors still look good.....

And 14 Michigan winters made the Wagon look very...rusty.....

Correction, it has a small, peculiar rust spot, on the upper part pf the driver's door frame. Very small and no idea how it got there, it's been there since I bought it. Eventually I want to touch it up, for now I plan to buy some of that nifty 3M tape to protect it.

The Equinox and Aveo are full of it. I have to get them washed if we can ever get more then 2 days without snow. I did clean the Bonneville after its little foray into snow earlier this year.

Edited by 2005 EquinoxLS

I love my local automatic, touchless car wash... with full underbody spray! I come out feeling so fresh. :)

:lol:

In all seriousness, we had the Cavalier, Malibu, and Impala undercoated when we bought them... so I don't know WHAT is going on under there.

Isn't there an old jungle saying, "No plans work like you want them to after you get married and have kids."

Also an old saying..."don't touch daddy's piggy bank"...... :P

Not too worried though....in a few months the only payment I'll have left will be the Cobalt's....

Both Cavs will be paid off early, :yes: (hers this month)

I love my local automatic, touchless car wash... with full underbody spray! I come out feeling so fresh. :)

Touchless is for pussies. I love my local auto-wash with the big things that beat the $h! out of my every time I drive through. It does things to the Fusion that I only wish I could do, like spend 5 minutes hitting it.

Touchless is for pussies. I love my local auto-wash with the big things that beat the $h! out of my every time I drive through. It does things to the Fusion that I only wish I could do, like spend 5 minutes hitting it.

:lol: Why do you hate that thing so much?

The auto-wash nearby isn't touchless, and as a result has worn much of the chrome off of the side badges on my car <_<.

The only touchless I know of doesn't have underbody spray.

:lol: Why do you hate that thing so much?

Worst. Transmission. EVAR!

The clutch is retarded, and some jackass thought it would be a great idea to gear it so at 70mph on the highway, the engine is turning at 3300rpm.

Plus, it doesn't like going into reverse when its below freezing out, still have no clue what thats all about.

I'd buy another Fusion, just not a stick unless they made some changes.

Worst. Transmission. EVAR!

The clutch is retarded, and some jackass thought it would be a great idea to gear it so at 70mph on the highway, the engine is turning at 3300rpm.

Plus, it doesn't like going into reverse when its below freezing out, still have no clue what thats all about.

I'd buy another Fusion, just not a stick unless they made some changes.

Yep.

:nono: You guys. Regular maintenance to the outside of the vehicles, such as washing, and waxing twice per year, would minimize the effects of the salt.

Beaters need not apply. :P

Touchless is for pussies. I love my local auto-wash with the big things that beat the &#036;h&#33; out of my every time I drive through. It does things to the Fusion that I only wish I could do, like spend 5 minutes hitting it.

Sounds enjoyable. There are only touchless around here. It's not worth the money. The Cutlass can deal with a little salt. What's the worst that can happen? :D

Edited by blackviper8891

Beaters need not apply. :P

Sounds enjoyable. There are only touchless around here. It's not worth the money. The Cutlass can deal with a little salt. What's the worst that can happen? :D

Lets put it this way-Salt destroys everything. Here's the worst that could happen:

rust_never_sleeps.gif

Regular maintenance to the outside of the vehicles, such as washing, and waxing twice per year, would minimize the effects of the salt.

*nods*

Agreed.

This pic of my '87 MC LS was taken just this past summer:

http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/mc1987/87MC1007_07_JPG.html

At that point, it had been in winters since 2003-2004. But, not much rust on it.... I wax it 3 times a year.

"How much longer will they be around?" ... Don Williams ... 'Old Coyote Town'

*nods*

Agreed.

This pic of my '87 MC LS was taken just this past summer:

http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/mc1987/87MC1007_07_JPG.html

At that point, it had been in winters since 2003-2004. But, not much rust on it.... I wax it 3 times a year.

"How much longer will they be around?" ... Don Williams ... 'Old Coyote Town'

Looks good. :thumbsup:

It looks good Cort. Really good considering it is out in the elements all the time. I dont know that the Bonneville would fare as well if you tried that with it. Even the Caprice. Though that thing slides all over on snow. I would never want to deal with that in snow. The Equinox deals with snow well and shouldnt rust out.

*nods*

Thanks Dave and 2005 E!

I can't believe it has held up this well, too. Plus, it has started everytime this year ... even with the subzero temps. It's like it WANTS to be out in the snow and salt....he he.

"Just when I think that I can make it without you, you come around & say you want me now" ... Rosanne Cash ... 'I Don't Know Why You Don't Want Me'

Stop pretending there's no snow in LA... :P This was taken today in sunny So Cal..

And, yeah, I was cringing as I heard the salt flying into my wheelwells.

Mmmm...sweet..looks like the Angeles Crest Highway..great road. I've driven it twice in Hertz rentals...once in an '05 Town Car and once in an '06 350Z....fun road.