GM @ Chicago 2008: GMC Denali XT Concept

Putting this on lambda would alienate the very group of buyers GM is wooing with this idea.

Lambda would be a very bad idea.

I fully agree. The two major problems with the Ridge line is the FWD and the interior. IF you have RWD and AWD you can pass almost anything off as a truck. But there is no way in Gods green earth you can pass a FWD off as a legitimate truck to the base buyer.

I ponder as some have spoke of the G8 demise in 2 years form Holden is the Zeta still on to move to the G8? Could the Impala still be on but delayed till closer to production?

The way it is looking the Zeta is not dead and GM still has plans for it. I submit this GMC as proof it is alive and that it will live at least one cycle till the Alpha or something else takes it's place as a lighter replacement.

Either way I suspect we are in for more suprises from this platform.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, this came out of left field.

I love everything about it. In terms of styling, I hope this is a sign of things to come for GMC, which has never really had a clear design language in my opinion.

This thing has hit written all over it.

Gut feeling tells me this is more 'Buick Centieme concept' than 'Buick Enclave concept', i.e, not a 90% production-ready concept...

The main point here seems to be a preview of the Gen-V small block (rememeber how the SIDI thing was mentioned on the Delphi-GM-UAW memo that leaked?) paired to the 2-mode hybrid system and wrapped around NG GMC styling cues.

I agree that more than the concept vehicle it is the engine and drive train that GM is trying to focus on. With SIDI I am thinking more close to 340hp than 323 (est) that GM is telling us.

The truck may not see light in this form, but we should have the engines in GMT 900s and may be in Lambdas soon.

It could if it is on a Lambda.

The irony of the situation here is; the N* replacement was rumored to be the V8 in the upcoming Acadia Denali and Enclave version of that.

Now, if this concept is executed on Lambda, GM will probably have to re-engineer it to fit this motor (Which might be why Zeta is being considered anyway)

* I could be wrong though, the Lambdas could've been scheduled for LS V8s all along.

EDIT: Ya know, it's just too bad that the G8 didn't get striking sheet metal like this.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Very nice... it's very aggressive looking. This is a great vehicle for those who think they need a full-size pickup, yet at the same time it offers better fuel economy. Great to see GM consider offering alternative and compelling choices.

I absolutely love the Sierra, but don't necessarily need a full-size pickup. This ute is for me.

when i just logged in and saw the pic on the front page, i screamed HOLY $h!!

+2! I'm for this trucklety 100%.

xt_denali_concept_09.jpg

Finally, someone at GM Design finally gets it. The "GMC" nameplate needs to be large & centered on the tailgate. It's been this way on GMC pickups since the freakin' '30s! About time it has returned. I was expecting this for the all-new 2007 Sierra, especially since the Silverado gained a large, centered Chevy bowtie. Can't tell ya how disappointed I was.

Okay, I will admit that the concept styling is a little out there, but it has definitely caught my interest and I will be following this closely. It would be nice to know that I could get one in mid-to-late 2009, when my AURA lease is up. However, I could "make-do" with some junker for a short time if I knew I could get one definitely in 2010. I'd like to see a non-Denali version, and those large front & rear air intakes gone. Can't wait for the NYIAS to see this in person (hopefully it will be there). G8 Sportswagon - what? :AH-HA_wink:

The irony of the situation here is; the N* replacement was rumored to be the V8 in the upcoming Acadia Denali and Enclave version of that.

Now, if this concept is executed on Lambda, GM will probably have to re-engineer it to fit this motor (Which might be why Zeta is being considered anyway)

* I could be wrong though, the Lambdas could've been scheduled for LS V8s all along.

EDIT: Ya know, it's just too bad that the G8 didn't get striking sheet metal like this.

You are correct that the new V8 was for the Lamda and it is now going to stay with the 3.6 DI. Many of us all assumed the LS out of the GP would have been the engine but according to GM is is not.

This whole project would miss the point on the Lamda as FWD and trucks are just no the ticket. I sould see the Ridge line working well if it has a RWD and V8 option. I has none and has been not been a run away sales vehicle.

Also the mid gate is important here as it gives the GMC a useable bed that you can haul a sheet of pjy wood or other Item. There are too many trucks out there that can't carry a 9 foot ladder in their bed but I have a GP that I can fold the seats down and shut the trunk on a ladder or full length 2x4.

If this is built the Zeta is the only one this would work on as the Lamda is just not a truck in many traditional buyers eyes.

Now here is where I could see the Canyon going away and this taking it's place. GM has already spoke of doing a Smaller truck so could we see the XT as a in between vehicle slotted in the middle of a small and full size truck?

Also is ther plans for variations like Holen has done in the past like the Tonner. They have don car based pickups that have have heavy capacity hauling ability and even a stake bed. It ws basedf on their ute but was much more truck like with a bed that was a little more stake bed. Now the ones I have seen were older but a moder version with a more stylish bed could be looked into.

IF this is on the Zeta it may not be just be a one trick pony.

As for the sheet metal on the G8 it is not a Zeta and has a limited future. The G8 was goint to go to the G8 in a few years so there just might be new sheet metal waiting in the future.

PCS claimed the G8 was only going to be around for 2 years but what he failed to tell as he kept saying it was going to die was it could still be going to the Zeta in 2 years. This is something we all knew was the original plan so we should not be too suprised. This also was when the G8 was to move to Canada but no one could ever confirm it.

The details are so much in what we don't know at this point.

Scott Settlmire made a point to tell us the G8 is not a Zeta but a VE. The Zeta is a different car all together from the VE and will replace tje VE Holden platform.

You are correct that the new V8 was for the Lamda and it is now going to stay with the 3.6 DI. Many of us all assumed the LS out of the GP would have been the engine but according to GM is is not.

This whole project would miss the point on the Lamda as FWD and trucks are just no the ticket. I sould see the Ridge line working well if it has a RWD and V8 option. I has none and has been not been a run away sales vehicle.

Also the mid gate is important here as it gives the GMC a useable bed that you can haul a sheet of pjy wood or other Item. There are too many trucks out there that can't carry a 9 foot ladder in their bed but I have a GP that I can fold the seats down and shut the trunk on a ladder or full length 2x4.

If this is built the Zeta is the only one this would work on as the Lamda is just not a truck in many traditional buyers eyes.

Now here is where I could see the Canyon going away and this taking it's place. GM has already spoke of doing a Smaller truck so could we see the XT as a in between vehicle slotted in the middle of a small and full size truck?

Also is ther plans for variations like Holen has done in the past like the Tonner. They have don car based pickups that have have heavy capacity hauling ability and even a stake bed. It ws basedf on their ute but was much more truck like with a bed that was a little more stake bed. Now the ones I have seen were older but a moder version with a more stylish bed could be looked into.

IF this is on the Zeta it may not be just be a one trick pony.

As for the sheet metal on the G8 it is not a Zeta and has a limited future. The G8 was goint to go to the G8 in a few years so there just might be new sheet metal waiting in the future.

PCS claimed the G8 was only going to be around for 2 years but what he failed to tell as he kept saying it was going to die was it could still be going to the Zeta in 2 years. This is something we all knew was the original plan so we should not be too suprised. This also was when the G8 was to move to Canada but no one could ever confirm it.

The details are so much in what we don't know at this point.

Scott Settlmire made a point to tell us the G8 is not a Zeta but a VE. The Zeta is a different car all together from the VE and will replace tje VE Holden platform.

You're getting caught up in terminology here, VE is zeta. The underpinnings of the Camaro are a modified version of the VE zeta. At the first refresh, VE will cease to exist and Holden's zeta will then be the same as GMNA's version.

Toyota exec: "The bastards at GM did it again."

Exec B: "What? What is this? [expresses incredulity] Let me look at it. What the f? They're clearly on a roll. Why can't we do this?"

Exec A: "somethin something Japanese sensibilites something..."

Exec B: "We Americans need to take it over. We haven't produced something this good looking........ever!?"

It's funny how GM is always taking two steps forward, three steps backwards. This is cleary two giant steps forward, aggressive, trendy, modern, strong, and a great move putting it at GMC and making it Zeta. [by the way I think Zeta would be lightweight]. But how long will we have to wait for GM to make the move and put it on production where someone besides hardcore fans, car lovers, and the media will have a chance to gawk at it, and actually inject some profit and a good dose of solid reputation/admiration for the company. Meanwhile, we have products like the G8 sportwagon which would be a great rolling endorsement for Pontiac and GM, however limited, that would serve the purpose of building the GM brand, as something other than crap product. [i know lately the acceptance is getting better, but the word on the street takes a while to be communicated, and it's just not there yet.]

The only thing I don't like is the head-on view reminds me too much of the SSR's proportions with different cues. It's a great looking truck, the profile, side view, rear profile are pretty, well, stunning. Blows away the Ridgeline.

Edited by turbo200

that freakin youtube video is sweet. it looks gorgeous and the interior, man it is nice. It's so nice it's fab. The colors, the trim, the gauges, the detailing in the grille, the detailing everywhere on the exterior. I'm in love with a truck. Holden must stop teasing me with this level of execution if I'm never going to be able to see it on the road. For all the holden-haters out there, this proves why Holden is such a gem. [if in fact they produced this.] That truck, exactly the way it is, has got to be in production in the next 2 years, cost be damned, should serve as a highlight of the GMC truck line, and maybe with a price of $50k for the hybrid model fully decked out as is with all the trimming. [i don't mean to say hybrid shouldn't be available at a lower cost as well, it should.]

You're getting caught up in terminology here, VE is zeta. The underpinnings of the Camaro are a modified version of the VE zeta. At the first refresh, VE will cease to exist and Holden's zeta will then be the same as GMNA's version.

Yeah, VE is just the generational designator..it seems each time Holden has a new version of the Commodore/et al, they associate a 2 character designator...Ford AU does it with the Falcon also... doesn't necessarily mean anything about the platform...

Edited by moltar

GMC Concept Showcases GM Design Capabilities

GM Holden’s global design capability was showcased today on the world stage when GMC took the covers off a stunning concept vehicle at the 2008 Chicago Auto Show.

The GMC Denali XT was designed and constructed at GM Holden’s design centre in Port Melbourne, Victoria (you know, the one PCS wants to shut down). GMC drew upon General Motors’ global resources and expertise in Australia to produce the show stopper.

Lead Designer, Warrack Leach - who also recently led the VE Ute design - created the Denali XT’s new, muscular form in a performance-styled, hybrid sport-utility truck (SUT).

“This was a great program to work on as I was given the opportunity to really stretch the limits of the Global Rear Wheel Drive architecture and create a truck with unique and bold proportions,” Leach said.

“GMC has such a rich heritage of producing great trucks and it was essential we kept that in mind while at the same time exploring how far we could take this concept.”

The Denali XT has a unibody architecture and rear-wheel drive which enables its distinctive design and efficient performance.

Denali XT’s new, more efficient 4.9L version of GM’s small-block V8 features fuel-saving technologies such as direct-injection technology, Active Fuel Management and includes the first combination of GM’s two-mode hybrid system with an E85 ethanol-capable engine.

The engine is matched with GM’s unique two-mode hybrid propulsion system, giving the powerful SUT exceptional fuel economy and uncompromising capability – including all-electric drive at low speeds.

The Denali XT boasts an estimated 50-percent fuel economy improvement over comparable small pickup trucks when running on petrol.

Jim Bunnell, GMC General Manager, said although just a concept, the Denali XT was perfectly suited to a variety of active lifestyle activities, such as hauling skis and snowboards to the mountain or towing a sport jet boat to the lake.

“Like all GMCs, the Denali XT is functional and capable, but it blends those traits with a more efficient, sporty driving experience,” said Bunnell.

“It is a vehicle that exemplifies GMC’s engineering excellence, as well as GM’s commitment to hybrid and advanced technologies.”

True to its GMC Professional Grade heritage, the Denali XT is filled with technologies and features that maximize its flexibility, including a cargo space-enhancing Midgate® and height-adjustable suspension.

The Denali XT’s carefully design proportions are framed around a high cowl configuration that enhances the vehicle’s truck functionality, but packages it in an efficient, unibody architecture that enhances fuel economy while giving the vehicle a sporty driving experience.

Exterior

The Denali XT features a muscular form and wide, firmly planted stance giving the vehicle a confidently capable road presence. Minimal overhangs, huge 23 inch wheels, custom Kumho tyres, sleek headlamps and a low roof profile deliver an aggressive, performance-oriented appearance.

The Denali XT’s design includes a new take on GMC’s iconic grille, with a prominent, four-bar element in addition to the large, red GMC logo and signature Denali background.

The wide road stance is accentuated by flared fenders and enhanced further when the Denali XT is lowered on its air-adjustable suspension, creating a sleeker appearance that simultaneously improves aerodynamics.

Ed Welburn, Vice President GM Global Design, describes the concept as a robust yet tailored design statement that is unlike anything else on the road.

“It has the youthful look of a custom automobile that incorporates the capability customers expect from a truck,” Welburn said.

The exterior colour "Battle" is described by GM Holden’s colour and trim team as a cool mid tone liquid gunmetal which is balanced against the polished aluminium details.

Interior

Warrack Leach, Lead Designer, says inside the Denali XT blends mechanical functionality with leather-trimmed comfort.

“Billet-metal surrounds, controls and instruments convey the cold precision of an aircraft cockpit. This is balanced by the warmth of bespoke saddle-leather trimmed seats and other contact surfaces,” Leach says.

“The form language is smooth and structured to characterize GMC’s power. The details have a deliberately contrasting mechanical aesthetic to mark GMC’s engineering sophistication.”

A feeling of luxury is created with soft grey microsuede finishes while keeping the integrity of a functional product with the hard saddle, workboot brown leather.

The interior features innovative instrumentation with “floating” red-illuminated numerals backed by surface chaplets in the clusters and a large integrated vehicle interface screen.

The Denali XT seats four comfortably as the high-cowl vehicle architecture enables higher seating positions, allowing the distance between front and rear occupants to be reduced without compromising knee room. This packaging efficiency creates generous interior and cargo bed dimensions within a more compact package.

Truck capability

With stiffness that is greater than most conventional, body-on-frame trucks, the Denali XT’s unibody structure supports a very capable truck platform. It also serves as the mounting point for a four-wheel independent suspension that gives the vehicle its performance feel on the road. In short, it’s a truck that hauls more than cargo on twisting roads.

The rear cargo area is wide, deep and flat, with no suspension or wheelhouse protrusions with dimensions that create the space to haul a wide variety of lifestyle accessories.

Functionality is enhanced with an easy-to-operate Midgate that can be lowered to extend the cargo-carrying capacity inside the vehicle.

The Denali XT has an estimated payload capacity of 499 kg (1/2 tonne) and a towing capacity of an estimated 1,587 kg. This capability is delivered through unique vehicle and powertrain integration.

New 4.9L SIDI V-8 and two-mode hybrid system

For the first time, GM’s rear-wheel-drive two-mode hybrid transmission is paired with a smaller-displacement version of the small-block engine. The new V8 4.9L E85-capable engine powers the Denali XT with an estimated 243kW. It uses direct-injection technology to produce the power of a larger engine, but consumes less fuel and produces lower emissions.

The functionality of GM’s Active Fuel Management system has been expanded through the use of hybrid technologies, enhancing the cylinder-deactivating feature to further improve fuel efficiency.

The Denali XT’s two-mode hybrid system uses an electrically variable transmission to enhance fuel efficiency in city and highway driving. In city driving, all-electric propulsion is used at low speeds; on the highway, fixed-gear operation enables efficient performance even when towing a trailer.

The GMC Denali XT concept will be on show at the Chicago Motor Show from 6 – 17 February 2008.

GMC Concept Showcases GM Design Capabilities

GM Holden’s global design capability was showcased today on the world stage when GMC took the covers off a stunning concept vehicle at the 2008 Chicago Auto Show.

The GMC Denali XT was designed and constructed at GM Holden’s design centre in Port Melbourne, Victoria (you know, the one PCS wants to shut down). GMC drew upon General Motors’ global resources and expertise in Australia to produce the show stopper. …

Look under Holden in GM's media gallery for photos of the concept being built.

Not trying to be diffcult here but where am I going wrong.

The thought the G8 was a Zeta but I was corrected by Scott Settlmire [Fbodfather himself] that it was not a Zeta. HE said it was a VE and a VE did not equal a Zeta. He pointed out the VE was just a updated VX [if I recall] that was the old GTO platform.

I jrust Scott and I also was under the Bumble Bee Camaro at the same time so I could compare the G8 and GTO base Camaro movie car. Both were not so different in design and even some part looke very similar.

I was put under the impression the new Zeta's were to come yet and the Camaro would be one of the first full Zeta in NA as the G* was not a Zeta.

I was under the understanding the G8 would become a Zeta in about 2 years either built here or in OZ. The Impala would be the first Zeta Sedan in NA till it was put on hold or cancled?

Help me I am getting confused here.

Not trying to be diffcult here but where am I going wrong.

The thought the G8 was a Zeta but I was corrected by Scott Settlmire [Fbodfather himself] that it was not a Zeta. HE said it was a VE and a VE did not equal a Zeta. He pointed out the VE was just a updated VX [if I recall] that was the old GTO platform.

I jrust Scott and I also was under the Bumble Bee Camaro at the same time so I could compare the G8 and GTO base Camaro movie car. Both were not so different in design and even some part looke very similar.

I was put under the impression the new Zeta's were to come yet and the Camaro would be one of the first full Zeta in NA as the G* was not a Zeta.

I was under the understanding the G8 would become a Zeta in about 2 years either built here or in OZ. The Impala would be the first Zeta Sedan in NA till it was put on hold or cancled?

Help me I am getting confused here.

OK, I know this has been confusing from the start - let me see if I can clear it up.

Do you remember when Zeta was first put on hold to push the 900s ahead? At that time Scott said something to the effect of "Have Faith, Zeta was just a name."

Here's the deal, at that time Zeta was being developed by Holden and the version which eventually became the VE was deemed too expensive and too heavy to underpin the GMNA-built models. But yes, VE is Zeta.

Enter Camaro. GMNA made the changes to the VE version of Zeta they required and the resulting platform became known variously by the names ZetaII, or Zeta-lite, and then officially as the "Global RWD architecture".

When it comes time to update the VE, it will be brought into compliance with the GMNA version making all of these cars the same worldwide.

In common discussion, all of them are known as "Zeta". As of right now, however, the Camaro and the VE cars are not exactly the same underneath.

Hope that clears things up for you.

The various "alpha" designations do not refer to a specific architecture but rather an architectural phase space which is occupied by successive, not necessarily related, architectures. It gets confusing when one person is talking about the current iteration of an architecture v. earlier iterations. E.g. GM in North America will refer to the Astra's updated T-body architecture as Delta, the Cobalt/Ion A-body (the next iteration) as Delta, and the future European compact architecture as Delta, when each is a different architecture. Someone else will say the current Astra is not Delta, meaning it is not the same architecture as the Cobalt and Ion. The same goes for the Zeta's. VE may be considered ur-Zeta, the new, lower-cost version underpinning the Camaro and hypothetically (concepts are custom-built using whatever is easiest and cheapest rather than adhering to a specific architectural definition which may have inspired the design) the Denali XT concept is what is now Zeta. So the G8 was Zeta, but is not now Zeta.

The various "alpha" designations do not refer to a specific architecture but rather an architectural phase space which is occupied by successive, not necessarily related, architectures. It gets confusing when one person is talking about the current iteration of an architecture v. earlier iterations. E.g. GM in North America will refer to the Astra's updated T-body architecture as Delta, the Cobalt/Ion A-body (the next iteration) as Delta, and the future European compact architecture as Delta, when each is a different architecture. Someone else will say the current Astra is not Delta, meaning it is not the same architecture as the Cobalt and Ion. The same goes for the Zeta's. VE may be considered ur-Zeta, the new, lower-cost version underpinning the Camaro and hypothetically (concepts are custom-built using whatever is easiest and cheapest rather than adhering to a specific architectural definition which may have inspired the design) the Denali XT concept is what is now Zeta. So the G8 was Zeta, but is not now Zeta.

*faints*

OK, I know this has been confusing from the start - let me see if I can clear it up.

Do you remember when Zeta was first put on hold to push the 900s ahead? At that time Scott said something to the effect of "Have Faith, Zeta was just a name."

Here's the deal, at that time Zeta was being developed by Holden and the version which eventually became the VE was deemed too expensive and too heavy to underpin the GMNA-built models. But yes, VE is Zeta.

Enter Camaro. GMNA made the changes to the VE version of Zeta they required and the resulting platform became known variously by the names ZetaII, or Zeta-lite, and then officially as the "Global RWD architecture".

When it comes time to update the VE, it will be brought into compliance with the GMNA version making all of these cars the same worldwide.

In common discussion, all of them are known as "Zeta". As of right now, however, the Camaro and the VE cars are not exactly the same underneath.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Ok I see where I am going wrong the VE is not a Zeta but is a Zeta. I am clear as mud. Ok Who's on first and Zeta is on second. [HA HA]

No I really did think the VE was a Zeta but when Scott corrected us and made a point to say it was not and he stresses it was just an updated VX. That is where I was thrown off. As I see it we are see a slow phase in of the new platform and a lot of gray area. Kind of the catapiller to cacoon to butterfly stages.

Edited by hyperv6

Ok I see where I am going wrong the VE is not a Zeta but is a Zeta. I am clear as mud. Ok Who's on first and Zeta is on second. [HA HA]

No I really did think the VE was a Zeta but when Scott corrected us and made a point to say it was not and he stresses it was just an updated VX. That is where I was thrown off. As I see it we are see a slow phase in of the new platform and a lot of gray area. Kind of the catapiller to cacoon to butterfly stages.

Maybe Zeta is more of a philosophy than a specific platform...all that really counts is that it has the good stuff---RWD, V8, IRS..

Maybe Zeta is more of a philosophy than a specific platform...all that really counts is that it has the good stuff---RWD, V8, IRS..

I think Cheers & Gears should sell a t-shirt (in black, red and maybe GM blue) that simply says "Zeta is a Philosophy". :scratchchin:

Or would that be :gay: ?

hahahahahaha

All kidding aside, GM better still keep their plans to have at least a couple of compelling RWD cars in their future (beyond 2008-2009) lineups besides $40,000+ Cadillacs for us guys who truly want a performance vehicle but don't want a $750 / month car payment. Speaking of Caddy - hopefully GM ultimately decides to build the next DTS as a true honest to God, large, rear wheel drive car (think 7 Series or LS460) - they really need that type of flagship in their lineup. If this GMC vehicle makes into production (which I really hope it does , either way) , perhaps that will help with the business case (volume issues) for bringing the big Caddy to fruition. Does anyone on the "inside" know what the story is with that?

Edited by gmcbob