Sign in to follow this  
Chris_Doane

GM @ Chicago 2008: GMC Denali XT Concept

Don't be knucklehead, the whole point of this vehicle is to give people an option to get out of their full-size pickup. Until GM can move some weekend warriors out of half tons, CAFE will be a boat anchor around the neck. This sort of vehicle will Help with CAFE.

We are looking at the future of the light truck.

As we spoke in the G8 thread that things were going to be different. I had no idea this was going to be more truck like than car and only was guessing about the unibody truck.

I too think this in some form will be on it's way to production as they would not be showing it. If all Zeta's but the Camaro were canceled they would have pulled it like the Impala.

Could we be seeing the Zeta evolving into a SUV truck platform VS a car platform. It is a heavy platform for a car but lighter than a truck.

I can see this as a lighter and cheaper Porsche Cayenne if they would make a wagon out of this.

The days of GM leaking new cars to keep the faith look to be over and the shows in the future will bring us some welcomed suprises like they used to.

I really like what I see and can imagine the veriltility of the Zeta now and how much can be done with it yet.

This is all the truck 70% of 1/2 ton owners need. Most are running empty most of the time and as long as it can haul a good load, Tow a trailer or boat and haul people in comfort. Also sell it at a good price with improved MPG this vehicle has hit the mark.

Edited by hyperv6

On the plus side, 326 hp from a 4.9 liter pushrod is a solid improvement over the 315 hp 5.3 liter. GM needs to be able to downsize engines and increase efficiency without sacrificing power to stay competitive.

Why? How does engine size matter? IMO, only weight and economy matter - If GM made a 10L engine that weighed 2/3 that of the typical 8cyl and got twice the economy, would you complain about the displacement?

GM is addicted to trucks though. How can they kill plans for V8 Cadillacs or a rear drive Impala and say CAFE is the reason, while they have 3 brands of GMT900s, the H2, and soon 4 brands with the full size Lambda SUVs, and now bring out a Zeta pickup/suv combo. GM has 3 good cars (Malibu, Corvette, CTS) and a ton of bad ones. They should fix their car lineup and not worry about a Hummer H4 or 3rd GMC pickup.

GM is a company. They are addicted to what sells. Even now, trucks sell, even if their sales are dropping. You complain about "full size lambda SUVs" when those very Lambdas are probably among the most efficient 7/8 passenger vehicles out there. Not everyone can get by on a 5 passenger midsize car.

The market determines the product. Sure, GM needs more good cars, but they can't neglect the trucks just because you want those better cars right now. They're in the works, have patience, and recognize legitimate product. Is this thing legitimate product? We'll have to see if they even intend to produce it, and what a production vehicle would look like.

I'm very interested in this type of vehicle to replace my Silverado. Other than the grille, there's not much in the styling that says GMC. The styling appears to have a sprinkling of Tundra in it, but that doesn't bother me too much.

It may not say GMC now, but it will in the future. I don't see any other truck styling in this. Looks pretty unique to me. Personally I see Riviera Concept in it.

Edited by -Camaro-

quite unexpected and cool... how soon would this engine be made widely, and i guess i'm still hopelessly thinking they may make CIB V6 like this V8, but in the 3.xL range

Why? How does engine size matter? IMO, only weight and economy matter - If GM made a 10L engine that weighed 2/3 that of the typical 8cyl and got twice the economy, would you complain about the displacement?

GM is a company. They are addicted to what sells. Even now, trucks sell, even if their sales are dropping. You complain about "full size lambda SUVs" when those very Lambdas are probably among the most efficient 7/8 passenger vehicles out there. Not everyone can get by on a 5 passenger midsize car.

The market determines the product. Sure, GM needs more good cars, but they can't neglect the trucks just because you want those better cars right now. They're in the works, have patience, and recognize legitimate product. Is this thing legitimate product? We'll have to see if they even intend to produce it, and what a production vehicle would look like.

Usually larger engines use more gas than smaller ones. I am assuming the reason GM is doing a 4.9 liter DI engine with cylinder cutoff is to replace the 5.3 liter with a more efficient engine with no loss to power. This is a good move.

Pickups have high volume due to few competitors and the commercial market. GM has 2 vehicles on the top 10 sellers list, Silverado and a 58% fleet sale Impala. The top 3 selling SUVs are the CR-V, Escape, Rav4, GM doesn't have a good small SUV or a minivan anymore. Two huge markets they don't compete in because they keep making big trucks.

This GMC pickup thing is 5 inches longer than a Yukon, this isn't a downsized product. If the Canyon/Colorado were as good as the Japanese pickups they could do a hybrid or diesel version of them that would help CAFE greatly and get people that don't need a half ton to downsize.

As for the Lambdas being the most efficient 7/8 seaters out there, they aren't. They are rated at 18 mpg (19 for front drive) which isn't bad, but the Honda Odyssey is rated at 20 mpg. The Mercedes ML320, R320, and GL320 diesels all average 21 mpg, 1 more than the Tahoe hybrid.

Looks good. The front could be toned down just a smidge, otherwise it's very nice.

wow, that design is half-assed/unfinished. the equivalent of trying to write a term paper the night before it's due.

and yes, there is some ridgeline in there.

conceptually its ok, but it needs AWD.

toyota's ABAT concept is more complete and interesting at this point. you can kind of see a bit of where GMC wanted the styling to go, but comon guys. spend some time and do it right. None of this 11th hour half assing please.

Edited by regfootball

Very nice... it's very aggressive looking. This is a great vehicle for those who think they need a full-size pickup, yet at the same time it offers better fuel economy. Great to see GM consider offering alternative and compelling choices.

@*% mate, the designer has clear Aussie accent. If they build it, it is just as likely to be based on Lambda than Zeta. :(

I can see that; it really looks like it has the proportions for Lambda.

Gut feeling tells me this is more 'Buick Centieme concept' than 'Buick Enclave concept', i.e, not a 90% production-ready concept...

The main point here seems to be a preview of the Gen-V small block (rememeber how the SIDI thing was mentioned on the Delphi-GM-UAW memo that leaked?) paired to the 2-mode hybrid system and wrapped around NG GMC styling cues.

I thought Lamda too but how would the effect of a FWD truck sit with the American public.

The Ridgeline is not a run away sales winner. Many reject it for sereral readons one is the FWD.

Besides which one would be lighter Zeta or Lamda?

I originally wanted to see something like this on Lamda because I assumed the Zeta was dead. I would myself love to have this kind of truck but if it went FWD I would have no interest.

I drive trucks because I have never loved driving FWD and I feel not very alone on this point.

Could be awesome as a production model depending on how the final design would look. But I love the idea of a big old truck looking a lot more car like than we're used to seeing.

I thought Lamda too but how would the effect of a FWD truck sit with the American public.

The Ridgeline is not a run away sales winner. Many reject it for sereral readons one is the FWD.

Besides which one would be lighter Zeta or Lamda?

I originally wanted to see something like this on Lamda because I assumed the Zeta was dead. I would myself love to have this kind of truck but if it went FWD I would have no interest.

I drive trucks because I have never loved driving FWD and I feel not very alone on this point.

Putting this on lambda would alienate the very group of buyers GM is wooing with this idea.

Lambda would be a very bad idea.

I freakin' LOVE it man!

I'm floored by this; I never expected it to be this good!

I love everything about it, excepting maybe the slightly overdone (IMO) tailgate.

Produce it GM.... errr... Produce it ON ZETA GM

I like this vehicle. We've all known for a little while that GMC was getting a Zeta-based pick-up type vehicle and I think most of us assumed that it was going to a Holden with GMC grille pasted on. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of effort GM put into this concept and hopefully, we'll get a production vehicle that is extremely close... if GM decides to go ahead with something like this.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook