Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

"New" Member Joins the Fleet

I've been holding off on showing it, but what the hell, we're using it now so here we go. It's a 1990 Chrysler Town and Country.

This was a gift to my mom for Christmas from a family friend's father. My mom's friend's husband's father to be exact. Not confusing at all! Anyway, he's an older gentleman, in his 70's or so. The story goes that he was driving down the middle of the road an apparently hit something, or multiple things...I have no idea what. As it turns out the police found out and followed him all the way home without him even realizing it. When he got home and got out the police (3 cars BTW) asked him to hand over his license. So he lost his license, it was given to mom as a gift.

It's got the 3.3L V6, wood trim outside, tan interior with leather surfaces, Infinity sound system, thermometer, Compass (two things I don't even have). It also has dual zone climate control with adjustments for the middle row. He took pretty good car of it. Engine runs great and transmission works very well too. Fluids are good, tires are new, he has lots of spare parts that were included. It also has, interestingly a spot light mounted on the A-pillar that can turn all the way around to face the rear. Power everything too. Surprisingly, not much rust is on the car, it just needs work up front where it was hit.

Story's not over yet. She brought it to the Mechanic's Thursday to have it inspected and the fluids checked and stuff and get the headlight housing replaced. He wasn't able to get the part (still hasn't) and so it was left overnight. That night some piss of $h! kid broke into it and 3 other cars, broke the window, stole the little bad that looked kind of like a purse that held spare parts in it, and ripped out part of the center console (braking it). Window was replaced free of charge but the console is messed up. So now I have to fix it.

Anyway, here's a few photos, I'll take more later.

Shadow013.jpg

Shadow014.jpg

Shadow015.jpg

Shadow016.jpg

Shadow017.jpg

Wow, not my cup of tea. I was hopping you got a 3.5L V6 powered 2004 R/T Interpid.

Dude I wish, I seriously would buy a 2nd Intrepid since I've had such a great experience with mine...and that's with the bad engine :D

It's not my car though, this is my mom's...and she likes it so whatever It's an upgrade over the Shadow I suppose. :P

Problem is I'm having a hell of a time finding a new driver's side headlight. I just can't find one at any of the junkyards. <_<

By the way, 2002 was the last year of the R/T :P

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HEADLIGHT-L...tem170190203041

$90 or best offer... shoot em an offer of $60 and I bet it sells...not a lot of interest in these as they have reached 18 years old...and are used for mini van demo derby's and raced to die. Looks like it is in decent shape. Too bad the old guy had to take her for one last spin through the pedestrian mall, huh?

Here is the grill: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GRILLE-chry...p3286.m20.l1116

Edited by toesuf94

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HEADLIGHT-L...tem170190203041

$90 or best offer... shoot em an offer of $60 and I bet it sells...not a lot of interest in these as they have reached 18 years old...and are used for mini van demo derby's and raced to die. Looks like it is in decent shape. Too bad the old guy had to take her for one last spin through the pedestrian mall, huh?

Here is the grill: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GRILLE-chry...p3286.m20.l1116

That's the one part I don't need actually. The headlight is intact, but the door, housing, turn signal lenses, and grill are fubared. It actually does run and drive very well, it was taken care of.

Ah...THAT brings back memories!

My aunt had an '89 Grand Caravan once that was fairly loaded, in silver-blue with wood-grain. Known as being someone who beats the ever living daylights out of every vehicle she owns, NEVER changes oil but goes by the method of as enough leaks out...enough dollar store stuff can be used to top it off, etc., I was suprised by how long it lasted, at least for the few years she had it. Even with a big smash in the driver's side from when a neighbor backed into it. It was one of the common "blue smoke expresses", as typical for the Mitsu 3.0L (I think that's what it had) with poor maintenance...but kept on going, and smoothly and quickly at that.

I remember riding around in the back once, when younger (we were yard sale hopping, I believe, and I just happened to be there), and it wasn't horribly bad. Rode well enough and the seats and room were Chrysler minivan comfy. Never knew what happened to that thing, but I think it actually was traded off for the next beater, if I recall.

But yeah, an interesting gift to say the least--and a fully loaded one at that :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by caddycruiser

So far the only problem with it is not being able to find a replacement headlight door/mounting bracket and grill. Of course we could buy them new but they are like a hundred bucks a pop, so I'm still trying to find a junkyard that still carries one of these beasts. :P

Come spring I'll probably do some touch up work where rust has formed (basically only under the rear window) and straightening out the fender and bumper.

How many miles? The Dodge/Chrysler 3.3L/3.8L engines are known to be extremely durable and long lasting, it was just their transmissions throughout the 90's that were plagued with problems. We had a '97 Grand Voyager with the Mitsu 3.0L AND 3-speed (that sounds shocking given today's norm...but it was never an issue back then, in driving or otherwise), and it was quite peppy--that seemed to be a very common combo in those older ones as well.

How many miles? The Dodge/Chrysler 3.3L/3.8L engines are known to be extremely durable and long lasting, it was just their transmissions throughout the 90's that were plagued with problems. We had a '97 Grand Voyager with the Mitsu 3.0L AND 3-speed (that sounds shocking given today's norm...but it was never an issue back then, in driving or otherwise), and it was quite peppy--that seemed to be a very common combo in those older ones as well.

It's got 145,xxx miles on it. It runs very smoothly and seems to shift well, although we go easy with the tranny since they are pretty delicate (Besides, it's a big minvan, what would we do? Drag race? :P)...parking brake is on all the time since we live on a hill.

I've snagged a couple of interior photos I'll post later tonight. I'll get more after I'm done cleaning it. The previous owner probably never cleaned the surfaces, so it's got years of dust and dirt on the surfaces. I went through 8 wipes of ArmorAll just cleaning the upper dash and top of the center console!

Edited by Dodgefan

• 2 weeks later...
I like the two tone interior...

Actually my mom has a '94 T&C and i prefer your two tone interior over our ALL beige one.

It is quite comfortable and the engine is surprisingly quiet for such an old one.

Should be a nice little Minivan when you get it done...

Chris

Yeah, I finally had time, or so I thought, yesterday to take off the bumper. Starting doing it, got a coupel bolts off and then got called into work early. Now there's 7 inches of snow on the ground. :banghead:

The spotlight is priceless! GOtta love old people. I swear some old dude has probably

had a Chevy dealer install a vinyl top & continental kit on a Corvette!

That video of the Turbocharged Caravan SWB that smokes a Camaro is funny but

didn't that Camaro run like a 16.8 @ 75mph? Probaby a 2.8 V6 powered Berlinetta...

The spotlight is priceless! GOtta love old people. I swear some old dude has probably

didn't that Camaro run like a 16.8 @ 75mph? Probaby a 2.8 V6 powered Berlinetta...

I love the spotlight, sure the electrical are kinda screwed up because of it (the thing always thinks it needs windshield washer fluid) but it actually works and is so cool in a pointless kind of way. I'd drive this thing just to shine it at some jerk tailgating me. Since the weather finally doesn't suck, I'm gonna try to remove the bumper today.

The Camaro may have been a slug to begin with, but the concept of a brick pwning a Camaro is still priceless!

I've seen a vynal top thing on corveetes of C-2, C-3, and C-4 vintage.

Spotlight makes the minivan, IMHO.

Chris

Some updated photos...if you remember the front end had seen better days:

Shadow015.jpg

However with a trip to the junkyard and an afternoon's worth of work...

DCP_4420.jpg

DCP_4423.jpg

DCP_4422.jpg

DCP_4424.jpg

DCP_4421.jpg

So it's now a Dodge Town and Country :P

Still need to get the bumper...but IMO it looks much better with no bumper than a mangled headlight and half a grill.