You know, it just occured to me

It might be different if Chevy had gotten a new Chevelle instead of the Camaro as they had considered at one point. If Chevy had gotten an El Camino rather than giving the Ute to Pontiac, it would have been different.

As things are however, looks like Pontiac will be keeping me as a customer.

With the purchase of a new G8 ST GXP, Pontiac will tie with Chevy for new car purchases by me (not counting my 01 Silverado which was a company truck before I bought it- it was always mine and I ordered it/spec'd it out).

I don't buy new, but the GTO, G8, and upcoming Pontiac Alpha gain my attention. I'd take a Malibu or Aura over a G6, though, and a Sky over a Solstice. G5 vs Cobalt vs Astra - the Astra wins everything except drivetrain, and that 2L turbo could be sweet enough that if I were buying new in that vehicle category, I'd pass some refinement in the Astra for some hp in a G5 or Cobalt. Which one of the two would probably depend on what I could get a better price on. I've driven a late model Grand Prix, and it was decent, but again would have to be the better deal over an Impala or other similar car.

GM, make Pontiac the budget BMW competitor, and people will take notice!

If i can find a deal on a firehawk, ill jump on it.... but my requirements are LS1 and a T56 F-body... that leaves me open to Camaros, but id rather have a firechicken! Not to hijack the thread, but Camino and Schuby, what kinda mileage you get with? was yours a 6 speed? mine would serve DD duty to college and work, the Nova will become a weekend warrior

Like Yellowjacket said Camino and I prove the naw-sayers wrong. I know I don't own the exciting Pontiac's but rather a sporty verison of what is a great looking fullsize sedan and a sporty verison of an Equinox. Thats why I love Pontiac's plus they look better, than a Chevy or Buick traditionally. I would take a Malibu over a G6 unless it was a GXP. As for the Solstice vs. Sky I'd go Solstice no question.

I grew up on Chevys and Pontiacs. My dad had 1 Pontiac and 11 Chevys before before he went Olds and Buick and I have had 2 Chevys 4 Pontiacs 2 GMC's and I will leave out the Fords as one was a first car a all orignal 63 Galaxie for $500 off a old lady, one I married into.

I also got to play with all the toys my buddy his brother and dad had. His father who had almost every year GTO., Several GP's and Firebirds. Including a ample supply of Ram Air IV, Tripower cars, 428 HO's and one 455 SD TA. God those cars were a blast.

He still has his numbers matching 64 GTO 4 speed Tri power with 60,000 miles.

We always said that a Chevy and Camaro's were a poor mans Pontiac or Chevy.

FYI; stick a 428 in a Jag sedan and see how much faster it is vs the V12. Also we did not have to worry about breaking down going to school anymore.

Pontiac are not just cars but a life style. Or they used to be years ago. I hope the G8 will change that.

Mine is an a4 with 3.23's. I haven't calculated my gas mileage recently, pretty much because it would be too painful. lol With the cold weather, I let her warm up for at least 7 min before driving, and with how good the new cutout sounds in the high RPMs, I wouldn't be surprised if it was around 12. Typically I am around 17 MPG.

During the summer, I took a few long drives and I was very pleased with my MPG. With the t tops on I got 24 MPG, and with them off I got about 22 MPG on the freeway. Thats cruising at about 2-2.5K RPM. With a M6, I could see getting close to 30 MPG in 6th gear.

Also, I can see a difference depending if I use 91, 93, or 94 octane.

Edited by schuby87

Chalk me up to the WS6 club too...

Pontiac IS the GM division that describes me the best at this point in time. I've wanted a WS6 since the first time I saw one and I've, painfully, passed on the opportunity to buy a couple. I'm currently reconsidering though (If I can fit in it to drive it)

It has to be a manual as well... No slush box.

I had a chance to buy a beautiful 94 Trans Am, red, 80k, never driven in rain or snow. Brother of a co worker owned it. $4500 but it had a slushbox. Begining to think I should hyave bought it even with the slushbox.

Chris

Congrats Camino LS6 on buying new g8.

However, to the post "I don't buy new...GM, make Pontiac the budget BMW competitor"

If one doesn't buy brand new Pontiacs to contribute $ to the bottom line, how can they expect Pontiac to prosper, and why make demands, when you will only buy used ones for zero profit to GM? point is don't complain if you are not a paying new car customer.

• 1 month later...

Another WS6 here. 2002 Trans Am WS6, black on black, M6.

Bought it new in June of '02 with 9 miles on it off the truck. It now has just over 10,800. Has SLP Sub-Frame Connectors (welded in), SLP Shock Tower Brace (the consensus is it's nothing more than a handle for leaning on when working on the engine though), 4/3 Koni's with the front lower perch and rear heater hose mod, and a 10" Polk in a driver's side stealth box, powered by a 600W Kenwood amp (oh, and the !Jack and Spare mod to provide room for the Amp).

I love the hell out of that car. It has to be the best all around car out there. The Bosch 5.3 ABS/TCS system is phenomenal in slick conditions (and even in dry), on rough backroads it'll run with a 'Vette (because to push nearer the limit is to end up in the woods anyway), and it'll seat 4 reasonably well (I'm 6'2" 230lbs and I fit just fine in the back), and do it all with a reasonably comfortable ride, killer sound system, and the most killer aesthetics ever.

In the future, rims, tires, exhaust, lid, and tune are all coming, along with some appearance mods and ripping out of the entire interior to put down some sound-deadening and cinch down all the interior panels as they go back together to silence it.

I originally wanted a 97 WS6, and when the 98's came out I didn't like them. But I got the brochure, and eventually the LS1 face-lift grew on me. And I'm glad it did. I still love the sleeker, more stilleto-like, more futuristic LT1 style, but I'm really sold on the LS1 style now and the engine is the engine that was touched by god. :yes:

Bob Putz needs to be taken out with extreme predjudice for his attitude about the Firebird. And for his overall schizophrenia. But I digress.

I've owned an '84 T/A T-Top (also WS6 equipped), and an '88 GTA hard top (all GTAs were WS6 equipped). Loved the hell out of both of them too. (each was taken from me in a wreck that was caused by other people) Each of them was bought because of a passion for Trans Ams. I simply can not understand people who simply want an engine, transmission and drive wheel combination from a given corporation and will take any old box and crap they care to slap on it. No camaro is, was, or will EVER be good enough. If not for the Trans Am, I may well not have become the Pontiac die-hard that I am. I started out with Olds, and I did like the GTO, but was never really swayed by it. But once I got hooked on the 3rd Gen styling, I bought one, and slowly, the Pontiac mentality rooted itself in my mind. I started exploring other aspects of the brand, became more interested in GTOs and Fieros, and the marketing and the overall style.... I can't really explain it. Weird how that stuff happens. lol

I love the Solstice (the sky does NOT look right at all, those proportions do not match those angles, nor do the angles match the curves of the rear deck lid), and think the G6 looks really cool and would make a good daily driver. The G8 rocks, though I hate sedans, I'm really glad to see it coming and generating so much buzz. Hell, even the G5 looks cool - and is proof that any time Pontiac gets their hands on a chevy chassis, they make it look better. And while I'm not really into the El Camino concept (meaning, of that KIND of vehicle), the G8 ST _is_ kinda cool. I can't help but picture it drifting. lol

Currently trying to nudge the g/f into a G6 hard top 'vert, and my dad into a G8 GT or GXP. A friend of mine may well snag the Solstice Coupe when it hits (he digs the Solstice, but hates 'verts, he's always said if they made a hard top he'd buy one, and now they are).

But I'm rambling.... lol

BTW - While SLP may have offered the package on LS1 T/As, REAL Firehawks are Formulas. :AH-HA_wink: :D

BeautyhasaDarkSide.jpg

(pic is pre-Koni lowering)

I think at Pontiac at this point can use a little tweaking in its marketing. Forget 50 Cent. Put every Pontiac a race, nothing says performance more than that. The Solstice in SCCA and drifting, GXP.R in ALMS is the start. If the next gen G6 comes on Alpha, put that in ALMS and market the hell out of it, or put the G8 in it. Create a feel that "from the track to the road, Pontiac has you covered." Have race inspired technologies in the cars, if possible.

This is the marketing direction that Pontiac should take, IMO.