Music that you like...

...that might surprise others.

As a kid, I remember feeling that interest in music was a "one genre only" type of thing because so many people I knew were either anti-rock or anti-country ... and didn't really have much of a "crossover" experience. But, in the last few years or so, more and more people tend to have an eclectic taste in music, myself included.

I can't stand to leave the radio station on one station all the time; too much music is out there (old and new) that I like and want to be hearing.... This is because my musical interests have grown ten fold (or so it seems) over the last few years, with "exposure" to all types of music, more than just country (which I grew up on) or rock or alternative. This is somewhat evident in the playlists for my radio shows the past 3 years, especially the radio shows I hosted this January 2008:

http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/APRIL2006RADIOSHOW.html

http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/APRIL2007RADIOSHOW.html

http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/JANUARY2008RADIOSHOW.html

So, how about you? How eclectic is your music background and interest? Any music that you enjoy that would surprise others and/or that isn't exactly "popular"?

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Never settle for the path of least resistance" ... Lee Ann Womack ... 'I Hope You Dance'

I listen to basically anything, it just depends on my mood. Today I'm in a country mood, but I also love (in no particular order) any type of rock, metal, heavy metal, alternative, some screamo, industrial, ska, punk, hip hop, rap, 70s, 80s, 90s, Top 40, techno/dance/remix, and other stuff I can't think of right now.

I enjoy country, but not that Rockabilly crap... The Classics along with Alan Jackson, George Strait, and some more traditional country singers. I also like Motown quite alot, but I really enjoy the sounds of Aretha, Frank and his "Pallies", and Bobby Darin.

Well, my reason for existing is Metal (Death/Thrash/Industrial/Heavy/Christian/any variety) and I mean that more literally than most of your know.

But I have a variety of other tastes as well. I play the violin, so naturally I like classical. Beethoven is probably my favorite classical 'dude' (No surprise since most people refer to him as the first 'tormented' artist -- direct ties to metal)

I also enjoy old country/rockabilly... Cash, Waylon Jennings, Patsy Cline, Hank Williams, Junior Brown (Not an artist from that era, but he pulls off that style better than any modern artist I've ever seen) I actually was a major country fan in the 80s and 90s, but when it started getting absolutley too pop (like it is now) I transitioned straight into Metal.

I LOVE MoTown (The Termptations anyone?) and Disco and I naturally have an afinity for classic/southern rock. (Elvis, Ray Charles, ZZ Top, The Boss, etc.)

I like hip-hop as well, but I can't stand to hear someone gloat about 'bitches and 'slades' so I listen to more political and personal artists like Eminem and NWA as opposed to posers like 50 Cent. Although I must admit I do likes me some Ludacris (LOVE his voice) and speaking of awesome voices, the Ying Yang Twins.

I also enjoy Techno quite a bit... Found a very cool station on Sirius on night that took metal songs and remixed them with techno; that was orgasmic.

Jazz is VERY enjoyable is the atmoshpere is right. When we have parties at our apartment I like to turn on the up lights and play some Jazz. It's really relaxing.

Umm... Then some specific artists I like that don't really fall into those categories are; Micheal Jackson, Alanis Morissette (Only 1 or 2 songs -- I hate hippies) Fall Out Boy had that one good song about an arms race or something. A bunch of others I can't think of (This one Irish rock band has an awesome song that is on the tip of my tongue.)

Speaking of music... Has anyone heard Green Days latest project, "Mother Mary" via The Foxboro Hot Tubs? I REALLY love that song/sound! It gives me this awesome retro vibe (Kind of the same vibe I get from "Somebody Told Me" by The Killers which is another song I love)

At the end of the day though, nothing gets me going like Metal. The darker, the angrier, the harder -- THE BETTER! Metal just has an energy that nothing else can match, especially live. I've always said that 2 things make me happy in this life; driving a powerful american car and being front row in 'the pit' at a good metal show. When I connect with the music and the crowd is going so wild it's dangerous; nothing could be finer. :)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I'm primarily into classic rock and blues (Pink Floyd, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton, BB King, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Bruce Springsteen, AC/DC, etc), '80s rock and post-punk(U2, Def Leppard, Peter Gabriel, Bon Jovi, The Cure, Joy Division, New Order, Big Country, etc), alternative rock from my college/grad school days (Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden), and '90s-present British pop/rock (Oasis, Radiohead, Coldplay,Muse).. I do love music with plenty of electric guitar, wish I could play.

But I also enjoy electronica, ambient, techno, etc...(Brian Eno, Sigur Ros, Moby, Paul Van Dyk, M83, Paul Oakenfold, William Orbit, etc) and a few other hard to categorize singers (Tori Amos, Bjork, Lyle Lovett, Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen). Not really into contemporary pop tarts like Britney but I do like some of Nelly Furtado's work (Say it Right in particular).

On occasion, I'll listen to some hip-hop (classic NWA, Ice Cube, Eminem), and vintage soul/R&B (Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, etc) and occasionally jazz and classical.

I really can't get into country, though I do have some Johnny Cash in my collection (I love his last albums with Rick Rubin--love his cover of NIN's 'Hurt').

Huge range for me, in both era and style.

But, when I don't like something, I really don't like it. Opera, Hip-Hop, Rap , and just about all dance music fit this category.

My center is definitely progressive rock, usually with meaningful lyrics. But, my taste branches out in a thousand directions from there. Everything from New Age like Shadowfax to Psychodelia like Jefferson Airplane, to Southern Rock/blues like The Allman Brothers, to singer/song writer stuff like Jim Croce or James McMurtry. I love Coldplay and Live, as well as Temple of the Dog and Moby.

I could go on forever with divergent examples.

One last pairing: John Denver and Rachmaninov. :AH-HA_wink:

I was never really a genre sort of guy. It depends on the sound and the artist. I hate country, but am a fan of Johnny Cash. I hate rap, but despite growing away from him, I still enjoy listening to Eminem, primarily his Marshall Mathers LP. Otherwise, I'm still mostly a hard rocker with a decent amount of pop/indie/folk thrown in.

[sorry I didn't reply sooner ... Mom and Dad had surgery Monday (Mom donated a kidney to Dad) and I'm just now trying to "catch up" again.]

Speaking of music... Has anyone heard Green Days latest project, "Mother Mary" via The Foxboro Hot Tubs? I REALLY love that song/sound! It gives me this awesome retro vibe (Kind of the same vibe I get from "Somebody Told Me" by The Killers which is another song I love)

Hmm...I don't think I've heard it, though I could be wrong. Are radio stations playing it now ... or is it just "out there"?

Enjoy that "Somebody Told Me", so perhaps I'd enjoy that new one from GD.

Hmm....looks like some of you might've enjoyed my radio shows....

Not sure if anyone notices the song quote in my signature each time I post, but if you do, you've noticed my eclectic tastes that way, too. I try to use a different quote each time.... And, no, I don't remember when or why I started quoting songs in my signature...guess it just developed as a way to be different and illustrate how diverse I am ... that I'm not just about heart issues or the Monte Carlo....

"I'm not the only person with these things in mind" ... Linkin Park ... 'Somewhere I Belong'

It is getting major air play now. The band is called The Foxboro Hot Tubs, but it's the same line up as Green Day.

All the same guys?

I love Green Day...

I listen to almost anything...

Grew up on the oldies....Started to listen to anything from rap to pop to rock......

Classical, Jazz work too...Country, techno......

I can be exactly like NOS.....

I can to listen to Jay Z, then Johnny Cash without skipping a beat.... :thumbsup:

It is getting major air play now. The band is called The Foxboro Hot Tubs, but it's the same line up as Green Day.

Hmm...thanks for the tip, FOG. I'll have to listen for it. I didn't hear the radio at all today since I was home all day long.

"Relight the flame when it's cold"...Godsmack...'Serenity'

I used to think I liked all sorts of music, but then I got a job that involved extensive amounts of time in cars with hipsters. That's when I realized that I'm a metalhead. I also love classical, and pretty much anything that's mellow and/or melancholy.

And here's a fun bit of trivia for all you metalheads: The man who pioneered the use of distortion and power chords is actually from my hometown.

Pretty obvious is my love for hard rock and heavy metal, but I can appreciate jazz, blues, and blues rock, and I have a pretty decent-sized collection of new wave and pop music from the 80s and 90s. One of my best memories from Rome was going to a jazz bar near the Spanish Steps and just sitting there watching these great jazz musicians go at it. I'm not really big on country unless it has a more "country rock" feel to it. I also like some techno and electronic music like Crystal Method and the Chemical Brothers. Me liking hip hop is kinda rare, but I really like NWA and some of the older groups from the 80s and early 90s before the whole "crunk" scene.

I can be exactly like NOS.....

I can to listen to Jay Z, then Johnny Cash without skipping a beat.... :thumbsup:

haha It's great.. Sometimes my mom will be chillin' in my room and first you'll hear Eminem, then Tears for Fears, Carrie Underwood, Avenged Sevenfold, Frank Sinatra, and Sublime. She'll just kind of look at me funny and say, "I can't believe you actually like some of those songs..." haha

She'll just kind of look at me funny and say, "I can't believe you actually like some of those songs..." haha

LOL!

I get that, too, especially when I mixed the artists and songs ... go from slow rock to fast country and vice versa ;). he he

"Here today, forgot tomorrow" ... Duran Duran ... 'Ordinary World'

Before mainstream became about going to the clubs and gettong the hooos.

Heh ... I never went to clubs ... too much smoke for me.....

I still think I missed out ... somewhat ;).

"This is not where you belong" ... Trapt ... 'Head Strong'

One thing that has always amused me [despite having grown up listening to only country music (thus, my love for the older country songs)]...:

While more people have eclectic tastes, the music industry itself continues to be a "silo" culture (i.e. "country only" stations, "rock only" stations, etc.), even with the MANY "crossover" songs....

A few "crossover" examples:

Dolly Parton's country "I Will Always Love You" landed on the pop charts when Dolly did it ... and again when Whitney Houston did it.

CW McCall's "Convoy" ... pop and country hit.

Wynonna's "No One Else On Earth" was originally country, but a remix and presto ... it was found on the pop charts.

Likewise, Taylor Swift's recent country hit "Teardrops On My Guitar" has now been remixed and is being played as "new music" on stations like Chicago's 101.9 WTMX, "The Mix", a pop/rock station.

And, it goes the other way, too....

Hinder's "Lips Of An Angel" found its way to the country charts via Jack Ingram.

Vertical Horizon's "Best I Ever Had (Grey Sky Morning)" landed on the country charts via Gary Allan.

Marc Cohn's "Walking In Memphis" was done by Lonestar for the country charts.

...and on and on and on....

Course, some rock songs seem more country, and vice versa....

This intrigue anyone else? What do you think about "crossovers"?

"Don't you remember?" ... Starship ... 'We Built This City'

I listen almost exclusively to metal. TOOL, Korn, Metallica, etc. Mostly TOOL!! I'm a little addicted. I do have a wide musical taste though, including 70's, some 60's, some old Motown, old country, and classical. I don't like really any new metal and I can't stand the new so called Country. Not sure what happened to country music. 8)

Edited by gmpartsgirl

Course, some rock songs seem more country, and vice versa....

A great one in recent times was Johnny Cash's cover of NIN's 'Hurt'...love that song in both versions. I don't know if it got any country radio airplay, though..

A great one in recent times was Johnny Cash's cover of NIN's 'Hurt'...love that song in both versions. I don't know if it got any country radio airplay, though..

Ohhh ... yes! I forgot about that one moltar! Definitely a good version from JC. I don't believe country stations played it, though. I did see the music video on one of the country cable stations....

WELCOME, gmpartsgirl!

"We missed a page or 2 somehow" ... Suzy Boggus ... 'Cinderella'

There's also his versions of Soundgarden's "Rusty Cage" and Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus".

Thanks for the tip, BV. I'm going to have to check those out.

"Where have you gone?" ... Glen Campbell ... 'Still Within The Sound Of My Voice'

Thanks for the tip, BV. I'm going to have to check those out.

"Where have you gone?" ... Glen Campbell ... 'Still Within The Sound Of My Voice'

I quite like his version of "Rusty Cage". He really sings it. Here it is on Youtube: Clicky.

My music tastes are (in order):

1) A Cum of Modern Singer/Songwriter Music (David Gray, Sia, Damien Rice, etc.)

2) A spoonful of Brit Alternative Rock (Travis)

3) A pinch of shameless pop (Kylie Minogue-none of that Rnb pop crap)

4) Just a spritz of Modern Rock (Finger Eleven, Incubus, Foo Fighters, Muse)

5) A dollup of Classic Singer/Songwriter Music (Think Janis Joplin, Classic Eric Clapton, etc.)

6) A little garnishing of country music here and there.

Delicious Aint it!

I'm indifferent to them. Some of them seem like decisions forced upon an artist by the record labels and producers to make a nice, quick, fat dollar (i.e. Jack Ingram's Hinder cover). Others are genuinely interesting covers that either seem like a joint venture between an artist, executives, and label or are recorded by an artist "just because" (Johnny Cash's NIN and Soundgarden covers).

I like the "genuine" ones, obviously. :P

Now, now.. you know you secretly listen to "A.D.I.D.A.S." :P

Well, I do tend to dream all day ... :ph34r:

Edited by YellowJacket894

I quite like his version of "Rusty Cage". He really sings it. Here it is on Youtube: Clicky.

Holy cow ... that is AWESOME, BV ... thanks for sharing that link.

And, YJ ... another one of the crossovers that "stinks" of being out for the dollar is Taylor Swift's "Teardrops on my Guitar" pop/rock remake. That song has never struck me as making a good rock song ... but, seems as if they wanted to put SOMETHING of hers on the pop/rock stations...and did that one, I guess....

"It's kinda like Nashville, with a tan" ... Shawn Mullins ... 'Rockabye'