2009 Chevrolet Traverse Preview

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehicle_Re...181.A13873.html

Chevrolet will join the trio of big GM crossovers with a fourth family vehicle, the Traverse.

On display at the Chicago auto show, the Traverse is based on the same mechanicals as the Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook. Chevrolet says it's targeting the likes of the Ford Edge, Toyota Highlander and Honda Pilot with the new seven- or eight-passenger Traverse.

The Traverse, which goes on sale in the fall as a 2009 model, shares some of the styling themes applied to the award-winning 2008 Chevrolet Malibu, GM says in a release. It's a distinct look with more crisp lines than either the Enclave or Outlook; details like the tailgate spoiler and a chromed grille surround give it a personality separate from the other big GM triplets. The Traverse's dual-cockpit design and large gauges tie it with other recent Chevrolet efforts.

The Traverse will be offered in three trim levels: LS, LT, and LTZ. Each trim will be available in front- or all-wheel drive. A range of 17-, 18-, and 20-inch wheels will be offered, as will interior features like XM, OnStar, a rear-seat entertainment system, a panoramic sunroof and Bluetooth.

The standard engine is GM's 3.6-liter V-6 with 281 horsepower and 253 pound-feet of torque. A six-speed automatic is the sole transmission. Standard safety features include six airbags; anti-lock brakes; traction and stability control.

Other options will include a rearview camera, rear parking assist, a power liftgate; a DVD entertainment system; a navigation system; heated mirrors; and remote start.

The Traverse will be built at the former Saturn plant in Spring Hill, Tenn.

Stay tuned for more on the Traverse as TheCarConnection.com reports from the 2008 Chicago auto show.

6501.jpg

6502.jpg

6505.jpg

6516.jpg

6517.jpg

More photos at TCC

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmm.... Best looking Lambda, hands down.

*kicks self*

Maybe in 2.5 when we replace the Cavalier with a new car, this would be something to watch (it'd better be cheaper than an Acadia tho)

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

no negative comments. what i was expecting. and, it does not render the other lambdas useless. good job chevy!

pricing and options will be key.

ugh! another possible choice now!

as the edge populates the earth, more and more, the less i want one. and a third row would be nice. the traverse will duke it out well with the highlander. You can buy this over a CX-9 also. It also makes the Flex look like it might have a rough go of it. and it strengthens the case for CUV's being cool and vans not although the routan does hold promise now that i have seen that.

i can use my GM card on this, not the saturn.

i think we should applaud GM for coming out with a timely product that has no major malfunctions. you can see now why are ditching vans.

if you do not like this vehicle then i will send you to time out for 4 hours in an uplander.

by the way, Joshiepoo on a sub board of BON called chevytraverseforum or something says the traverse will get a blind spot warning system.

Edited by regfootball

Nice...I like the Malibu-inspired dash....the taillights are neat, not at all what I expected. Looks like all the sheetmetal (except roof) is unique. GM has done a really good job differentiating the design of each Lambda overall, IMHO.

I like it a lot. The exterior has some hints of the other Lambdas, but it's way more differentiated then I expected. I'm starting to wish the lease on my mom's Enclave wasn't so long.

BTW, wasn't the Traverse supposed to show Chevy's first version of the new center stack (integrated controls or something?)? The Nav and HVAC look the same as in the others...

I'm not as enthusiastic about it as most. The front end looks pretty good, but the rest is an odd mish-mash of the other Lambdas, it seems. I'll have to see it in person to really judge. The interior, while nice, still has the black ties! I saw info that said the black ties would be gone soon in the Lambdas. Perhaps the Traverse won't get an integrated radio to save costs initially.

I'm not as enthusiastic about it as most. The front end looks pretty good, but the rest is an odd mish-mash of the other Lambdas, it seems. I'll have to see it in person to really judge. The interior, while nice, still has the black ties! I saw info that said the black ties would be gone soon in the Lambdas. Perhaps the Traverse won't get an integrated radio to save costs initially.

Since this is a preview, I'm guessing they are just using the current controls as a stop-gap until the real ones are available. I remember the GMC Acadia preview website showed a slightly different center stack than the one that ultimately made production.

Also, remember the Bel Air concept? The press photos did not reflect the actual showcar in a lot of areas due to last-minute changes made by Lutz.

I'm interested in pricing the most... the OUTLOOK XE starts at $28,995, and I assume this Chevy variant would be a bit less, with its 17" wheels (as opposed to standard 18") and so on.

The Equinox desperately needs help with the Traverse coming. The cheapest 'Nox with a modern V6 is the $28,435 Sport.

I'm interested in pricing the most... the OUTLOOK XE starts at $28,995, and I assume this Chevy variant would be a bit less, with its 17" wheels (as opposed to standard 18") and so on.

The Equinox desperately needs help with the Traverse coming. The cheapest 'Nox with a modern V6 is the $28,435 Sport.

I wonder if they will make the NG Equinox smaller and cheaper..it's a bit big for the compact SUV class, I think..

To me they made sacrifices in styling trying to differentiate it from other Lambdas. But still, that's better than having a rebadged Outlook or something.

Nice Focus headlights! lol

It looks contrived to me. Different for the sake of difference. Maybe if GM was wise enough to give Chevy a Lambda to begin with, they could have gave them the Outlook's skin and gave the Outlook itself something more European.

The interior however looks amazing. The dual cockpit theme is a winner.

After thinking about it for a few minutes, I'd say it's a winner. The three crucial Lambdas all look fantastic IMO and will do very well in the marketplace. The OUTLOOK is the only real "stinker" of the bunch, and I use quotations because it's a relative comparison--compared to the other three, it's just bland.

My Ranking:

1. Enclave (tie)

1. Traverse (tie)

3. Acadia (by slimmest of margins)

4. OUTLOOK

I can't help but think "updated Volt" when looking at the front.

It looks good inside and out. It's a win for Chevrolet. Toyota, Nissan, Ford, & Honda should be worried. Minivan & mid-size CUV sales will be hit hard if the Traverse is priced right.

o c'mon and show some love for the pushrod motor made in china!!!!!!!!!

i bet this traverse is a damn good indicator of what the next NOX will look like also, inside and out.

wow does this make the dodge journey seem irrelevant.

Edited by regfootball

Looks good from just about every angle, but I still wish for a 2-row Lambda, and Chevrolet should be the brand to offer it. This is the LTZ, top of the line, so I am wondering what a base model looks like, remembering the low pricing rumors we heard.

I really don't know what to say. It looks wonderful, but coming a year late to the party, I doubt it will do much in the GTA market, other than further destroy Trailblazer and Equinox sales. I would have preferred a competitive minivan. I don't want to be the sole nay-sayer around here, but this is a classic case of GM trying to cover their tracks in the market place. GM had better price these right, because at a $36k starting price, the Acadias are too much. Only Honda and Toyota can get away with gouging their customers.

Looks good from just about every angle, but I still wish for a 2-row Lambda, and Chevrolet should be the brand to offer it. This is the LTZ, top of the line, so I am wondering what a base model looks like, remembering the low pricing rumors we heard.

Maybe similar but with huge wheel covers

Front end good, back end bad. I saw this(Traverse)8 months ago and I wondered, really?, their going to use those tailights? There were other variations I saw for the tailights that they were playing with that looked much better. Overall not bad, I really do like the interior, the one I saw was unfinished so it is nice to see the final product.

A good vehicle. Better looking than the Outlook for sure.

I think it would look even better shorter. As is, the ass looks sort of bulky and long. Otherwise, great.

I wonder if they will make the NG Equinox smaller and cheaper..it's a bit big for the compact SUV class, I think..

May be that is how the Next Equi will cover it.

I really don't know what to say. It looks wonderful, but coming a year late to the party, I doubt it will do much in the GTA market, other than further destroy Trailblazer and Equinox sales. I would have preferred a competitive minivan. I don't want to be the sole nay-sayer around here, but this is a classic case of GM trying to cover their tracks in the market place. GM had better price these right, because at a $36k starting price, the Acadias are too much. Only Honda and Toyota can get away with gouging their customers.

I tend to agree with you. And I am also fearing that it will eat up other Lambdas sale upto a certain extent, esp. GMC and Saturn (not that Saturn has too many sales). A good designed minivan with some innovative features would have been a perfect blend for Chevy.

Reg, I wouldn't say it makes the Journey irrelevant, because the Dodge still has lots of practicality and features built into it you jus won't find anywhere else, and it have a very nice exterior IMO. However the Traverse absolutely shames it in the interior design department.

Traverse-Interior.jpg

Actually bigger than the other Lambdas. Rear overhang has been increased about 4" for more legroom and rear cargo space.

That was the first thing I noticed, that it looked bigger. Makes it more minivan-like :duck: than the other Lambdas, although it's still a CUV.

Did anyone notice that this engine is slightly more powerful than the others?

Wow... How underwhelming.

Sorry guys, but it just looks VERY bland to me; maybe it's the atrocious color and photography. It gives me a very Subaru Tribeca vibe for some reason.

I dunno... It just seems kind of rushed and cobbled looking. The rear almost looks like an afterthought. (Of course, most SUV rears end up in "blandsburg") At least with the weird rear end on the Malibu the designers integrated some nice details. The nose reminds me of the Volt (Probably a purposeful attribute) but it doesn't work well on something with this much surface area.

It's just blah... I really hope it doesn't cannibalize any of the Lambdas.

As far as ranking, here's my take:

1) Enclave (tie)

1) Outlook (tie)

3) Acadia (But not by much and maybe because it is so common)

4) Traverse

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

The Traverse is irrelevant to the Journey. They are in a different size class, the Traverse is much bigger. The Journey is taking the spot of the SWB Caravan, the Durango is in the area of the Traverse. And the Chevy wins. The rear quarter feels very much like the Buick to me, more than the Saturn or GMC. All in all, I like the GMC best so far.

Edited by thedriver

The Traverse is irrelevant to the Journey. They are in a different size class, the Traverse is much bigger. The Journey is taking the spot of the SWB Caravan, the Durango is in the area of the Traverse. And the Chevy wins.

Except it's not an apples to apples comparison since the Durango is a BOF SUV. The only thing Chrysler had that competed with the Lambdas was the Pacifica and they dropped the model.

But Journey to Traverse isn't apples to apples either, Journey is closer to a (non-existent) 7 place Equinox in size and mission. I guess if you want to be picky Traverse to Jeep Commander then, both unibody, albeit the Commander being a little more upscale. The Traverse still has a different mission, being a soft-roader.

I agree the discontinued Pacifica was the nearest Mopar in spirit, and when the Durango/Aspen are replaced they are rumored to be shifting to unibody.

I prefer the Journey to any of the Lambdas personally, but I am looking for something smaller, and less expensive than the Outlook I looked over. Nothing wrong with them, just a bit more vehicle than I need in my life.

Edited by thedriver

I think the Journey will do well, it's gotten some pretty good reviews. And yeah, since it more closely competes with the larger small crossovers (oxymoron?) like the Equinox, Rav4, Santa Fe and Edge, it won't really be cross shopped with the Lambdas, which are a good bit bigger (I think).

Back to the Traverse...love that interior.

That was the first thing I noticed, that it looked bigger. Makes it more minivan-like :duck: than the other Lambdas, although it's still a CUV.

Did anyone notice that this engine is slightly more powerful than the others?

That would be the fold flat 2nd row, and for the power increase, direct-injection.

now re-read your post and look at a Toyota Highlander picture, or Pilot concept. then delete your post.

Wow... How underwhelming.

Sorry guys, but it just looks VERY bland to me; maybe it's the atrocious color and photography. It gives me a very Subaru Tribeca vibe for some reason.

I dunno... It just seems kind of rushed and cobbled looking. The rear almost looks like an afterthought. (Of course, most SUV rears end up in "blandsburg") At least with the weird rear end on the Malibu the designers integrated some nice details. The nose reminds me of the Volt (Probably a purposeful attribute) but it doesn't work well on something with this much surface area.

It's just blah... I really hope it doesn't cannibalize any of the Lambdas.

As far as ranking, here's my take:

1) Enclave (tie)

1) Outlook (tie)

3) Acadia (But not by much and maybe because it is so common)

4) Traverse

Edited by regfootball

But Journey to Traverse isn't apples to apples either, Journey is closer to a (non-existent) 7 place Equinox in size and mission. I guess if you want to be picky Traverse to Jeep Commander then, both unibody, albeit the Commander being a little more upscale. The Traverse still has a different mission, being a soft-roader.

I agree the discontinued Pacifica was the nearest Mopar in spirit, and when the Durango/Aspen are replaced they are rumored to be shifting to unibody.

I prefer the Journey to any of the Lambdas personally, but I am looking for something smaller, and less expensive than the Outlook I looked over. Nothing wrong with them, just a bit more vehicle than I need in my life.

Journey is XL7 sized. Don't stop believing!

This thing really will make life a bitch for the Flex. The new Explorer will need to get here ASAP.

Edited by regfootball

I like it but Im sure Saturn dealers don't. Saturn's biggest selling point was being the lowest priced of the great new triplets from GM. With the Chevy, there is no reason for the Saturn to exist. i fear that once again GM is adding competition only against its own divisions.

I agree. For the most part the Malibu has all but killed the Aura, you don't see too much about it anymore. It seems like GM has forgot about the Aura, all the ad money is going into the Malibu, the CTS, and the Enclave. The thing is they getting back to their original problem in the first place. Too many similar vehicles among all the brands. It becomes a problem, especially when someone I was with pointed out an Aura and asked is that a new Malibu? I said no it's an Aura, and they said wow I can't tell the difference...yikes! Now the Traverse will dim the Outlook sales by being lower priced. The problem with the Outlook is that once you option it out it is just as expensive as an Acadia. Believe me I've built both of them more than once and then went...huh?

GM does not know how to balance their divisions yet. They get add, like oh this selling well, we need to concentrate all our efforts here, and then they wonder why sales are lagging in their other brands.

Edited by RJB

I think the Journey will do well, it's gotten some pretty good reviews. And yeah, since it more closely competes with the larger small crossovers (oxymoron?) like the Equinox, Rav4, Santa Fe and Edge, it won't really be cross shopped with the Lambdas, which are a good bit bigger (I think).

Back to the Traverse...love that interior.

How about we clear things up a bit:

Compact crossovers: (C/D-segment)

(hatchbacks—4.2–4.4 m)

Sportage

Tucson

Qashqai

RAV4 (Japan, Europe)

(wagons—4.4–4.6 m)

Escape

HHR

Vue

RAV4 (America/Australia)

CRV

Sorento

Patriot

Tiguan

Grand Vitara

New Forester

old Santa Fe (still built in China)

Lower-midsize crossovers (D/E-segment)

(4.6-4.7 m)

Captiva

Santa Fe

Aztek

Outlander

CX-7

Rogue

(4.7-4.8 m)

Highlander

Touareg

Equinox

Pilot

Edge

Torrent

Upper-midsize crossovers (E/F-Segment)

(4.8-5.0 m)

Tribeca

Endeavor

Veracruz

Journey

XL-7

Territory

Fullsize crossovers

(5.0-5.2 m)

Enclave

Acadia

Pacifica

Taurus X

Flex

CX-9

Outlook

(5.2+ m)

Traverse

note......read the specs on GM's media site.

Traverse can be had with heated/COOLED seats.

Also, cargo cap. behind third row is 26.9 cf......an uptick from the other lambadas?

6459 GVWR = suv tax break?

curb weight=

4720 / 2141 (FWD)

4925 / 2234 (AWD)

Direct injection standard

Bosch 8.0 Chassis Controls: ABS / ETC / ESC w/rollover mitigation

Key competitors:

Toyota Highlander; Honda Pilot; Ford Explorer

BLUETOOTH (no voice command of you IPOD though, jerks)

The Traverse’s structure is reinforced in numerous areas with high-strength steel, including a stiff steel cross-car beam welded across the floor between the B-pillars. It also uses dual-phase steel in select areas, such as the lower engine compartment rails. Dual-phase steel is strengthened in the paint oven and offers easier formability, reduced mass, greater strength and better crash energy absorption than most high-strength steels.

get that uplander now baby

GM needs to make smartslide power operated.

Edited by regfootball

After seeing this, I'm still glad that I ordered the Acadia. I do like the front styling, sort of reminds me of a tall version of the production Volts styling. I do not like the rear styling at all. It looks like some sort of frump dinosaur eyes or something. The interior looks great to me, but I still prefer the interior of the Acadia over the Traverse. Seeing lower trim levels will be telling for me.

As someone who will only use two rows or seating for my Acadia, I agree with ocnblu that there should be a Lambda with 3 rows of seating optional. If any model should do it, it should be the lower level Traverse models.

Overall, looks great. Glad to see some stylish high quality stuff from Chevrolet again.