2009 Chevrolet Traverse Preview

Actually bigger than the other Lambdas. Rear overhang has been increased about 4" for more legroom and rear cargo space.

So that's what I'm seeing. No wonder it looks long and bulky. I wish they'd off a short wheelbase version. I must say, though... The interior looks mighty nice. Certainly the best feature. Let's hope Chevy keeps getting great interiors and makes them even better. So far, 2 for 2.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way Detroit will be saved is if it stops living in the shadow of Japan Inc.

Therefore, bland is as bland does makes the situation twice as negative.

I don't see it as bland at all. It looks exactly as it should sitting next to the new Malibu in the showroom.

I am having a tough time seeing much of a size difference in these interior shots...

Traverse

2009chevrolettraverse.09chevrolettravers

Acadia

2007.gmc.acadia.20105093-E.jpg

Interesting, the Traverse gets a 2nd row console, the Acadia (unless it's optional) doesn't.

They look about the same size inside to me. Where does it say the Traverse is longer than the other Lambdas?

Edited by Dodgefan

Interesting, the Traverse gets a 2nd row console, the Acadia (unless it's optional) doesn't.

They look about the same size inside to me. Where does it say the Traverse is longer than the other Lambdas?

Here:

2009 Chevrolet Traverse Specs

And here:

2008 GMC Acadia Specs

Compare them. It's bigger.

26.1 cu ft vs. 19.7 cu ft behind the 3rd row just as an example.

Here:

2009 Chevrolet Traverse Specs

And here:

2008 GMC Acadia Specs

Compare them. It's bigger.

26.1 cu ft vs. 19.7 cu ft behind the 3rd row just as an example.

Interesting it does have significanlty more legroom in the third row, and more room behind the third row, but surprisingly with both rows folded it only has .9 more cubic feet, and with just the third row folded it has .6 cubic feet less. I wonder if that is a typo, as the car is 4" longer, and all the other exterior dimensions are pretty close to being the same. One would think that with both rows folded it would have more like 124 cubic ft. and with the third row folded 75 cubic ft. or so...

Chevy's own Tahoe and Suburban are much better looking, even though this has a modern profile and more definition all around. I'm just not won over by the exterior. Seeing it now, I'm seeing a reality that this truck will proliferate and be everywhere. It will certainly eat the Outlook alive. The better looking Acadia will manage to hold its own. But they missed an opportunity here, seeing as it's going to be so popular. I would have preferred something....more original. Right now it's borrowing too many ideas from other crossovers. And what I really like about the existing trio is they really do look unique on the roads. This screams of already been there, done that. Aside from that, it just isn't all that handsome. It's nice, in a Toyota sort of way.

The interior is extremely good. GM finally discovered the god that colors are. Good for them.

I'm really not a fan of the exterior. The added length makes the third window look awkwardly long. And the rear is just plain ugly.

I hate cars like this, different for the sake of being different. Yeah, it looks mildly different from the other Lambdas. But is it original or good looking?

to add an extra analysis. I can see the market they were aiming for is well targeted with this vehicle. it's sort of elegant, very practical looking, and chique [sp?]. But it just missed the good looking boat. They were trying hard to incorporate new Chevy family cues and forgot to make it better resolved. With the time they had, they produced something strong and nice looking enough. I hope, majorly, that for the next generation GM spends time differentiating the Lambdas and offering truly unique missions. As it was they were unique, this just throws a wrench in the toilet.

Chevy's own Tahoe and Suburban are much better looking, even though this has a modern profile and more definition all around. I'm just not won over by the exterior. ...

Agreed, when you compare it to the SUV's it doesn't fit the "truck" design language or look as good w.r.t. them. But I see it more as a progression of the car design language (Malibu, Volt(?)), and coming from that end I think it looks good.

Definitely not a knockout, but thankfully differentiated...for the latter I laud GM Design & Beancounters.

Interior architecture & design is a significant step up from the Malibu...same basic design but much more "solid" looking. Dash is probably hard plastic though...but this probably isn't a deal breaker in GM's eyes.

Exterior is bland but not overly boring. Design/styling kinda looks old from the front 3/4. Nice integration of Camaro cues in the rear taillights, but there is a large void of sheetmetal in the rear tailgate, somewhat of a styling flaw that makes the rear look unfinished.

I think this is a crucial SUV for Chevy considering its current product hole. On paper, this looked like another "3 steps back" idea: a rebadge with little differentiation. But with it's acceptable styling, great interior, improved engine, and praised Lambda driving characteristics, this car is definitely a few steps forward for the Chevy brand.

But not a knockout.

It will be important that this vehicle gets a proper launch ala Malibu...platform-mate or not, this is a very significant car for Chevy and GM.

Sorry Turbo, I think we're looking at different vehicles. I think the Traverse has more "brand DNA" than the Acadia or Outlook. As for the details, to me the Traverse appears to have received the same amount of time at finishing school as the Outlook... if not more.

Sorry Turbo, I think we're looking at different vehicles. I think the Traverse has more "brand DNA" than the Acadia or Outlook. As for the details, to me the Traverse appears to have received the same amount of time at finishing school as the Outlook... if not more.

I agree, it does a good job at not looking much like it's platform mates. Indeed, it looks more different than the Acadia/Outlook do. Really, the only thing they botched up was the rear end's tail lights. Fix that and it's a winner. Still, it's not the worst I've seen and not a deal breaker.

The only way Detroit will be saved is if it stops living in the shadow of Japan Inc.

Therefore, bland is as bland does makes the situation twice as negative.

how is the traverse bland? yeah the highlander and pilot are atrocious. the traverse is really nice! what is your basis of comparison!? what is your level of expectation for this thing?

Edited by regfootball

Its competitors may be Highlander and Pilot, but in suburbia-land, this will also replace a lot of Suburbans. More interior room, better fuel economy, and probably cheaper.

some folks are saying this will cannibalize the tahoes and suburbans but the real truth is folks are downsizing in droves and the lambdas are the size and feature set that allows fans of those large vehicles to downsize, yet still retain the best traits of them. in that regard, GM is keeping buyers in the fold because those buyers would have defected to other brands. this is why we have 4 lambdas. they will replace the market share they lose and keep it in house. this is a proactive move, to make these lambdas all awesome.

some folks are saying this will cannibalize the tahoes and suburbans but the real truth is folks are downsizing in droves and the lambdas are the size and feature set that allows fans of those large vehicles to downsize, yet still retain the best traits of them. in that regard, GM is keeping buyers in the fold because those buyers would have defected to other brands. this is why we have 4 lambdas. they will replace the market share they lose and keep it in house. this is a proactive move, to make these lambdas all awesome.

Exactly. Similarly, lets see if GM makes something for light-duty Silverado/Sierra buyers to step into.

I'm really liking this. I really like the character line along the rear-side view. The taillights remind me of the newest spyshots of the Infiniti FX bd0b478ebc0974dbe64df62f759aeddf.jpg

I also saw that Chevy now has it up on their website. It looks like it has a bunch of stuff standard on the LTZ like heated and cooled seats as well as a standard navigation system. Sounds good to me...

At over 5.2 m long, this is hardly downsizing.

True..but it's not as obese as the Tahoe...probably 500lbs less? Still obese, but less so..

Besides that, there's always the $500/yr gas savings.

It should be interesting to see the effect direct-injection has on FE. If the Traverse really gets "best in class" fuel economy, and the Highlander is considered in its "class" (if not "competitor"), that means at least 18/24 MPG. That's pretty damn impressive.

Why is it that DI pumps up the CTS' hp by so much compared to what it does in the Traverse?

You know, I was looking at that yesterday and I still can't make it out. With the LY7 3.6, the Lambda's make more horsepower than any other vehicle with that motor. But with the LLT 3.6, the Traverse will make well over 10hp less than the CTS??

What I'm hoping for is that GM was able to tune for mileage rather than a 30hp bump. The LLT 3.6 in the CTS gets 1mpg less in the city compared to the LY7 3.6. But seeing how some reports are saying they are going to get a mileage bump with this motor, even though GM is saying "better than expected mileage", I'm hoping for at least no mileage change. If they can get the same mileage with more hp, that's icing on the cake.

interior looks awesome on the chevrolet mini-site. very impressive.

I think this is a preview of what to expect with the equinox.

sales will no doubt be amazing, and probably take a bite in tahoe sales. I can't wait to see this go head to head with the Pilot and Highlander.

Overall I think it looks good on the outside, the rear end looks like the Enclave. I think this vehicle will drive the price of the other Lambdas down a little bit. The horsepower bump is good since the Lambdas are all over weight. They don't really need the Saturn version once this comes out.

I'm not a fan of the Dodge inspired 2-tone, rental car gray interior with overlaping plastic.

What I don't like about the Lambdas is they all have the same radio/center stack and same shifter and cupholders. They really only need 2, like Ford with the Edge and MKX. The Edge almost out sold the Outlook, Enclave and Acadia combined last year, and Ford has a poorer image than GM.

This will sell like hotcakes--but again, GM is stepping back into rebadge hell...Outlook sales will shrink, avg. transaction prices for all Lambdas will go down, the Tahoe will take a hit.

The rear window looks identical to the Enclave...has anyone overlaid the photos to verify?

Chevy dealers are thrilled. All other not so much.

This is again firm evidence that something has to give within the divisional structure of GM.

This will sell like hotcakes--but again, GM is stepping back into rebadge hell...Outlook sales will shrink, avg. transaction prices for all Lambdas will go down, the Tahoe will take a hit.

The rear window looks identical to the Enclave...has anyone overlaid the photos to verify?

Chevy dealers are thrilled. All other not so much.

This is again firm evidence that something has to give within the divisional structure of GM.

Agreed. Too many rebadged vehicles. Saturn should lose the Outlook and focus more on smaller, fuel friendly Euro-syle cars, kind of like VW. GM just has too many brands that offer the same rebadged stuff, not much is different from the 80s or 90s.

Same thing is about to happen with Epsilon: Malibu, Impala, LaCrosse, Aura, G6, 9-3, 9-5. 7 sedans off one platform. Then they have to market them all and update them all. No wonder GM has so many average products that don't get advertised.

Well, I really like it, though I do have a couple of comments --

The front of the vehicle looks great, though I would like to see the hoodline and headlights slope down just a bit more, and I really wish that they would incorporate some license plate holder into the bottom of the grille area; otherwise they are going to do what they've done to the Impala and Malibu, which is to bolt on those ugly black license plate holders to the lower grille and totally interrupt the sleek nature of the car.

The side view is awesome; very sleek, and you can tell from the 3rd row window that the Traverse is a bit longer than the other Lambdas... I love the shoulder flares just below the 3rd row window.

The tailgate needs just a little tweaking; I would add another taillight to both sides, a la the Impalas of old, and I would increase the size of the taillights by about 25 or maybe 50 percent; then I would move that gold bowtie down, just below the creaseline of the tailgate, so that it could lay flat rather than at an angle as it is now. I think these suggestions would do wonders to improve the appearance of the tailgate.

The interior is beautiful, but I hope they offer a wood trim package, which would look great, especially in the cashmere interior; the metal/chrome/whatever stuff they are using on the dash just doesn't look so hot.

For those of us who expected this to be just a Malibu grille slapped onto an otherwise re-badged Outlook, this new Traverse is outstanding. I'm even getting used to the name, though it's not one of my all-time favorites.

If any of you phtotochop guys want to play around with my tailgate suggestions, I'd love to see how it looks.

Well done, Chevy and GM!!

Edited by 62impala

I really like the Malibu-inspired interior. Chevy's interiors are really on a role! The Exterior looks really nice too, and actually different from its cousins. The only thing I don't like are the taillights which seem too small.

Oh man it looks BETTER than the Malibu! Look how nicely all the plastic trim pieces and the center stack all fit together so much more smoothly!

I really like the Traverse and think it's my favorite Lambda next to the Enclave. To me, kinda makes the Outlook and Acadia pretty much pointless to me.

Agreed. Too many rebadged vehicles. Saturn should lose the Outlook and focus more on smaller, fuel friendly Euro-syle cars, kind of like VW. GM just has too many brands that offer the same rebadged stuff, not much is different from the 80s or 90s.

Same thing is about to happen with Epsilon: Malibu, Impala, LaCrosse, Aura, G6, 9-3, 9-5. 7 sedans off one platform. Then they have to market them all and update them all. No wonder GM has so many average products that don't get advertised.

The number of models isn't the problem—Toyota probably produces more models with 5–8 brands (depending on how you count Netz, Toyopet etc.)—the real problem is the gross profit per model before overheads such as advertising etc.. Cutting models doesn't improve those figures and can even make them worse, as development costs per model increase.

i hardly think the 4 different versions is a problem. we are talking about the hottest segment (CUV's) in the market for the foreseeable future. The Buick and GMC will still sell. the Chevy will sell like hotcakes. It still is a benefit even if it only sells 24k a year or so to have them in the saturn channel as well. GM will then have the lambda available in it's entire dealer network which gets the product in more dealers than any other company in the USA.

What saturn does need to do now however, is some fixes to make it unique. A redline package, paddle shifters, let Opel design an appearance makeover on the soft bits of the interior. lower the suspension a bit, give it a unique and aggressive color palette. unique audio and nav options.

everyone bitches about rebadges, but if th product is good, then its not an issue. hell, even VW is rebadging chryco vans now. the mits outlander is a citroen and peuguot in europe.

Remember to those how are crying rebadge, they are to rebadges if the sheetmetal is unique. It's platform engineering not badge engineering. Other companies use common platforms for a multitude of vehicles.

The only one with a real problem is the Outlook. Sure it looks different but it's priced similarly and is already the slowest selling of the group. Still, when you think about it, Saturns aren;t normally sold with Chevies or Buicks, so it gives the dealers something to sell that has teh same mission but looks like a Saturn.

Digging for parts-sharing? Check for yourself:

Traverse:

WKA2008020571291_pv.jpg

WKA2008020568523_pv.jpg

Enclave:

WKA2006112785786_pv.jpg

WKA2006112784263_pv.jpg

The rear windshield designs are similar, but overall, the rears of the Enclave and Traverse appear unique. Buick's tri-shield bulge in the center helps. If this is rebadging (unique exteriors and unique interiors that tastefully represent each division) then GM needs to keep doing it. :thumbsup:

Cargo room must be a typo. Buick has 18.9 cubic feet behind the 3rd row, and Traverse should be close to it due to the "swoopy" rear quarter like the Buick.

That Cargo is bigger that is because it is stretched by about 4 inches compared to other Lambdas. Not a typo.

The tan helps the interior a lot, but there is still a lot of plastic over lapping plastic. If it's priced cheap that shouldn't be too much of a problem though, the Trailblazer has an all plastic dated interior, this is a step up from that.

I think this will compete more with the Trailblazer, Acadia and Tahoe more than anything from Japan, really GM is just creating competition for themselves, but the GMT360s are near dead, and I suspect that when the GMT900s hit the end of their life cycle, they do fewer version than they have now.

When does the minivan or 180 inch long CR-V/Escape style SUV come out? (the Vue is well over 4000 pounds, that isn't a compact) They have zero offerings in those segments and a dozen full size SUVs.

The tan helps the interior a lot, but there is still a lot of plastic over lapping plastic. If it's priced cheap that shouldn't be too much of a problem though, the Trailblazer has an all plastic dated interior, this is a step up from that.

I think this will compete more with the Trailblazer, Acadia and Tahoe more than anything from Japan, really GM is just creating competition for themselves, but the GMT360s are near dead, and I suspect that when the GMT900s hit the end of their life cycle, they do fewer version than they have now.

When does the minivan or 180 inch long CR-V/Escape style SUV come out? (the Vue is well over 4000 pounds, that isn't a compact) They have zero offerings in those segments and a dozen full size SUVs.

I'm wondering if they will downsize the next Equinox to cover the small crossover market..

Chevy's own Tahoe and Suburban are much better looking, even though this has a modern profile and more definition all around. I'm just not won over by the exterior. Seeing it now, I'm seeing a reality that this truck will proliferate and be everywhere. It will certainly eat the Outlook alive. The better looking Acadia will manage to hold its own. But they missed an opportunity here, seeing as it's going to be so popular. I would have preferred something....more original. Right now it's borrowing too many ideas from other crossovers. And what I really like about the existing trio is they really do look unique on the roads. This screams of already been there, done that. Aside from that, it just isn't all that handsome. It's nice, in a Toyota sort of way.

The interior is extremely good. GM finally discovered the god that colors are. Good for them.

:yes: