regfootball

09 ACURA RL

436 posts in this topic

I think they're using the term "all new" very loosely.

looks like the previous RL that went through a south florida Eldorado classic suncoast executive edition treatment.

it's just missing the faux top, vouges, and continental kit.

"ACCORD AWD BROUGHAM"

must be a lot of ricers living in assisted living these days. all grown up they say!

It's very obvious that this is an MCE... the panels are all the same.

The thing that makes this most obvious is the taillights. They used the bumper to make the taillights smaller, even though the rear quarters are designed for larger lights. Hence the oddly-shaped result.

It reminds me of this MCE, where GM just used bumper to fill in the space the old headlights took up:

0311_01z+Chevrolet_Cavalier_Turbo_Sport+

I know that's a body kit but the part I'm talking about is the same on the stock bumper too.

Edited by the_yellow_dart

Oh wow... They ruined it. The original may not have been exciting, but it was attractive. This is just pathetic.

Take a look at the interior.... is this a game of "Spot the All New"?

2005 RL

acuraRL_int.jpg

I do like the interior, though....the exterior isn't impressive, but Acura does know how to do nice interiors......

I do like the interior, though....the exterior isn't impressive, but Acura does know how to do nice interiors......

That is the 2005 interior...... how is this all new when you look at the 2009 interior?

That is the 2005 interior...... how is this all new when you look at the 2009 interior?

...Who cares?

Ugh... What is Acura thinking!?! :wacko:

I'll need to see it in person to tell if it looks as bad as I think it does, but how is this suppose to increase sales?

This is a mid-cycle change, it is not all new like they have said. Although it has significant changes for a MMC. Yes the grill looks horrible, unless it looks very different once it hits the showrooms (which isn't for a few months I think) it will be laughable. But then it might look different in person, I dunno, the shots I've seen so far are anything but flattering. The mechanical and feature improvements are worthy of note however, and comprise most of the changes for '09.

The new shifter area looks a lot less cheap now...that's the biggest change I see. I've always liked the interior of this car, and Acura's interiors in general. But the exterior changes make it go from bad to worse. Sure the mechanical enhancements are nice...if you completely ignore what the competition has to offer.

God, that grille is inexcusably offensive. And are those the same headlights that are on the MDX? What the hell?

Another Acura design flub. At least they didn't mess up the interior and added the leather shift boot(which in Japan the Legend has had since its intro). The Honda/Acura fans were already frustrated with Acura, now they're absolutely livid about the RL.

Edited by big blue

I have to wonder what they were thinking with that front end....pretty ugly. The previous front end was much better, albeit not too distinctive..this front end is distinctive, but not in a nice way, IMHO...

Let us see:

Made the steering wheel fatter and smaller. Applied wood on it. Gave the 9-3 bulge for holding it.

The Climate Control Buttons (Top two rows on center console) went from 8 buttons to 10.

Wrapped the naked shifter.

Put a coin holder besides the shifter on the driver's side.

Seems like all new to me :P

I am reminded of a Camry when I look at the dead-on/offset photos. What was Acura thinking?! They took a perfectly respectable car and beat the grille with an ugly stick.

At least the interior is still nice.

For some reason, that grille makes me think of a bad take on Transformers.

transformers.gif

Edited by mustang84