CTC-V and CTW-D

K.C.

As I was reading and drooling over the CTS-V in this months Motor Trend I noticed the sidebar talking about the upcoming coupe and wagon. It said the coupe was ripe for the V treatment and the upcoming wagon could introduce the new clean diesel and they didn't think there would be a CTS-V wagon due to high development costs to low sales volume.

After reading about the CTS Wagon, diesel, V, whatever, just add AWD and I'll seriously consider one. I've been on a practical movement lately with my vehicles for some odd reason. I guess it's just me getting old. But hell, I've always loved a wagon that would haul ass, and big torque and good mileage would be the ticket.

I hope there are actual names coming... CTC and CTW are just stupid.

No way man, CTS has built up quite a good name for itself, and CTC and CTW will only further that. If Cadillac is smart, they will keep what they're doing: using alphabetic names to emphasize the "Cadillac" brand while keeping names for special models like Escalade, whose sales could only be hurt by switching to an alphabetic name since the "Escalade" name has no much recognition.

I hope there are actual names coming... CTC and CTW are just stupid.

That would make zero sense from a marketing standpoint. GM is putting more money into product development instead of changing the names now. CTC and CTW do have flow. Even a non car person can tell that its a coupe or convertible if it ends in C and the W would be for wagon, and V is for the Velocity and D is for Diesel, and H would be for hybrid. I've grown used to it now and appreciate it for what it is. It's the Cadillacese. I've taken a course in it. :smilewide:

That would make zero sense from a marketing standpoint. GM is putting more money into product development instead of changing the names now. CTC and CTW do have flow. Even a non car person can tell that its a coupe or convertible if it ends in C and the W would be for wagon, and V is for the Velocity and D is for Diesel, and H would be for hybrid. I've grown used to it now and appreciate it for what it is. It's the Cadillacese. I've taken a course in it. :smilewide:

Are the Lortabs causing you to be that way? :P

No way man, CTS has built up quite a good name for itself, and CTC and CTW will only further that. If Cadillac is smart, they will keep what they're doing: using alphabetic names to emphasize the "Cadillac" brand while keeping names for special models like Escalade, whose sales could only be hurt by switching to an alphabetic name since the "Escalade" name has no much recognition.

I'm not really opposing the use of CTS, but it's just that CTC and CTW sounds weird. Just call it CTS Coupe or CTS Wagon. An M5 or E Class wagon is still badges as such. I'm not entirely sure the C and W is explicitly required, since the body style is obvious.

I'm not really opposing the use of CTS, but it's just that CTC and CTW sounds weird. Just call it CTS Coupe or CTS Wagon. An M5 or E Class wagon is still badges as such. I'm not entirely sure the C and W is explicitly required, since the body style is obvious.

That sort of contradicts the meaning of "CTS" then.

FWIW, BMW abandoned their "C" designation for two-doors. Instead of a 328Ci or 645Ci, it's now 328i Coupe or 650i Convertible.

Still, I think a CTW-L-V-H-3.6DI-A (C-segment touring wagon, long wheelbase, V-series performance, hybrid technology, 3.6 liter direct-injected, automatic) would be pretty damn interesting..

>>"That sort of contradicts the meaning of "CTS" then."<<

'CTS' does not stand for anything.

So it's a completely random mish-mash of letters, then?

Seems sort of hard to believe. It replaced the Catera and is a Touring Sedan. Harks back to the Seville STS. Its replacement is conveniently named STS. I wonder if that is a completely random mish-mash of letters, too? How about the BLS? Seems to remind you of the Seville SLS, but with a different model designation. The XLR? That 'R' certainly can't stand for Roadster, can it? Nah... That's just illogical. The SRX and the upcoming BRX? There's no way it could stand for Recreational 'CROSS'over... They're all just random.

I'm not a fan of alphanumerics, but you have to quite stubborn to deny it the meaning behind it all. Whether Cadillac sticks with it or not, is another story.

Yeah, I was in the one. The one where someone confirmed what I posted that Cadillac never officially stated that CTS stood for either 'Catera Touring Sedan' or 'Cadillac Touring Sedan'. Must be the case; there's 2 consecutive posts just above disagreeing on what it 'means'.

'Cadillac Touring Sedan' makes no sense because that leaves every other Caddy alphanumeric outside the formula- what's an DTS, a 'Dodge Touring Sedan?

>>"The XLR? That 'R' certainly can't stand for Roadster, can it? Nah... That's just illogical. The SRX and the upcoming BRX? There's no way it could stand for Recreational 'CROSS'over... They're all just random."<<

So the 'R' in XLR stands for 'roadster', but for 'recreational' with the SRX. How do you know you don't have them reversed? God, as if X = Crossover made any fricking sense whatsoever. Many other brands use 'X' to indicate AWD- that must drive you guys absolutely nuts.

Would love to see something from Cadillac stating that the CTS stands for something specific. Everything else is just conjecture. If someone has it, please post.

>>"The XLR? That 'R' certainly can't stand for Roadster, can it? Nah... That's just illogical. The SRX and the upcoming BRX? There's no way it could stand for Recreational 'CROSS'over... They're all just random."<<

So the 'R' in XLR stands for 'roadster', but for 'recreational' with the SRX. How do you know you don't have them reversed? God, as if X = Crossover made any fricking sense whatsoever. Many other brands use 'X' to indicate AWD- that must drive you guys absolutely nuts.

It's positioning. The first letter would essentially be the model designation, the second letter would define the model, while the third letter would describe body type. And it makes sense with all of Cadillac's current names, excluding Escalade. For AWD, Cadillac uses a '4' after the model name. It's not rocket science to figure out, whether its official or unofficial... or just plain gibberish. I think we'd all much prefer actual names, either way. :P

BV : "Catera Touring Sedan"

moltar : "Cadillac Touring Sedan"

bobo : "C-Series Touring Sedan"

:wacko:

bobo makes the most sense here, that one I can believe.

Well, technically, Bobo is right. The first letter designates the model, which don't have actual names. But where do you think they got the 'C' from? It replacing the Catera (and the Cimarron before it) was just a coincidence, I guess. The point is, whenever they create one of these names, they're not random. Whoever thought of it, had a meaning behind it. Atleast for Cadillac, anyways.