2009 TSX Official Pic

siegen

last i checked. i live here. and usa is getting a 3.5 v6. finally, a real engine in a mazda.

vigor and legend were nice looking.

Ah, I thought you were talking about the new Mazda6. The current US version looks okay, but it is a bit long in the tooth.

After three years on the market, the IS250 still looks infinitely better than this.

It does look good for a Camry.

lexusgreenis250.jpg

Ok ok, the IS250/350 is a nice looking car (in certain colors and certain angles). I know why though, it's because Toyota spent all the money on the outside, and none on the interior.

yeah but at least the mazda looks nice and has an engine under the hood

Not just a picture of an engine? How can they afford that??

Have you seen the back end of the new 6? :o

It does look good for a Camry.

lexusgreenis250.jpg

Ok ok, the IS250/350 is a nice looking car (in certain colors and certain angles). I know why though, it's because Toyota spent all the money on the outside, and none on the interior.

Not just a picture of an engine? How can they afford that??

Have you seen the back end of the new 6? :o

Have you seen the front end of the "new" RL or this? Which has those nasty bulging headlights.

The IS looks is a very good looking car, I like he way it looks better than the 3-Series. The interior is kinda meh though...lots of hard plastic.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Dodgefan: the upcoming 2009 model looks like a slightly more aggressive update of the current generation. I think it looks better than it did, but it still looks a bit dated and bland. Just imagine how much more dated it will look at the end of its five year model cycle. The new Acura grille does look a lot better in this application than it does on the "new and improved" 2009 RL. I don't think this car will solve what I believe to be Acura's biggest obstacle: Acura products (especially sedans) look too much like Honda products (I guess the TSX is the worst one since it is actually sold as an Accord outside of the U.S.). Acura needs to develop a style/design language that will define the brand and help them escape the shadow of their parent company. Until they do this, I don't think they will be taken as seriously in the luxury market as they desire to be.

The taillights on the wagon version of the Euro Accord look odd and blob-like. I'm not sure it's a big loss that they are only bringing the sedan variant over to the U.S. as the TSX. The wagon might offer more utility, but it doesn't offer anything extra from a styling viewpoint.

Why is it Europe gets the better Accord each time?

I think Honda's giving us the best of both worlds...!

Customer over HERE get to choose from two "Accords".....if they want the sportier, slightly smaller "Accord", they can go to their local Acura dealer and pretty much get the same thing the Europeans are getting....even the last TSX wasn't any more expensive really than an Accord EX V6.....

Acura and Honda had that going on in the 90s. Wish they would have stuck with it...

800px-Acura_Legend_Coupe3.jpg

35rl_p.jpg

1992-acura-vigor-profile.jpg

01.jpg

692434_1_full.jpg

honda_prelude.jpg

I think all those older Acuras had longitudinally-mounted engines (north/south versus east/west.)

Wierd as it sounds, a north/south engine placement (like in RWD cars) can contribute to a SHORTER front overhang because with a tranverse-mounted engine, the way it has to be mounted to the FWD drivertrain, it ends up hanging out over the front of the drivetrain. A north/south orientation allows it to be mounted further back.

I think all those older Acuras had longitudinally-mounted engines (north/south versus east/west.)

Wierd as it sounds, a north/south engine placement (like in RWD cars) can contribute to a SHORTER front overhang because with a tranverse-mounted engine, the way it has to be mounted to the FWD drivertrain, it ends up hanging out over the front of the drivetrain. A north/south orientation allows it to be mounted further back.

The Prelude engines were all transversely mounted, however the RL/Legend did have a longitudinally mounted engine during one generation. I would have to look it up though as I don't remember which.

Yes, each the Vigor, Legend, first gen RL, and first gen TL had longitudinally mounted engines

The Prelude engines were all transversely mounted, however the RL/Legend did have a longitudinally mounted engine during one generation. I would have to look it up though as I don't remember which.

The RL had them from 1996 to 2004.

Yes, each the Vigor, Legend, first gen RL, and first gen TL had longitudinally mounted engines

The RL had them from 1996 to 2004.

IIRC, the longitudinal design was exclusively because, even then, Honda was tinkering with platform sharing. The longitudinal inline 5s would fit where the transverse 4 was removed. How do you think Honda got so good at 'architecture stretching.'

The Vigor was a Japanese market alternative to the Accord, as was the TL. The Legend/RL part of the line I'm not as clear on...although a family we knew had the first Acuras on the block, 3/5 door Integras and a Legend w/o leather (all 1987s)....both Integras were that bright blue color.