Chrysler Reportedly in Talks to Sell Jeep to Indian Company

India's Mahindra & Mahindra may have lost its bid for Jaguar and Land Rover, but the manufacturer of industrial and agricultural vehicles has its sights set on expansion, and that means teaming up with a larger automaker.

In order to reach the markets that matter, M&M may be looking to forge an alliance with Chrysler LLC. The Indian firm originally began selling Wranglers in its home market and might be interested in taking Jeep off Cerberus' hands. A report in the Economic Times says that "M&M is reportedly in talks with Chrysler for its iconic Jeep brand" although there's no confirmation that Chrysler is looking to offload the brand – yet.

Could Cerberus finally be looking to begin selling off parts of the Chrysler trifecta as many industry analysts have predicted? It certainly isn't out of the question considering the private equity firm's history. And where does the upcoming M&M Appalachian diesel pickup fit into this equation? The Indian automaker is adamant that it will begin selling its own diesel pickup in the U.S. next year, as well as a diesel hybrid version one year later. If this somewhat far fetched rumor of Jeep being sold to M&M turns out to be true, perhaps we'll see Jeep-branded diesel pickups in the U.S. before the decade is done.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/11/chrysle...out-jeep-brand/

<_<:o:huh:

I know... It turns my stomach like you wouldn't believe.

Dodgefan, if they do this, save me a torch and or pitchfork for the rioting outside of Cerberus headquarters- Jeep is an all-American brand steeped in American History and to sell it to a foreign country would be wrong on so many levels.

Dodgefan, if they do this, save me a torch and or pitchfork for the rioting outside of Cerberus headquarters- Jeep is an all-American brand steeped in American History and to sell it to a foreign country would be wrong on so many levels.

The next step is to merge Chrysler Financial into GMAC. :thumbsup:

Misleading topic title; it really sounds like it should be "Indian company reportedly in talks to buy Jeep from Chrysler."

That said, if Jeep is to be sold off, it should be to GM. Reunite the two brands again. GM arguably makes the best SUVs in the industry, and it would be a natural fit. Then HUMMER can go back to being a model instead of a brand.

I almost wonder the viability of GM somehow acquiring AM General--it would certainly be helpful with regards to supplying the government with military vehicles and trucks. I know that Renco inked a deal for AM General back in 2003 (I think) for about $1B.

It is ironic. Mahindra manufactured Jeeps and Willys under the license for 50 years, when it expired in 1992-3 something. Now they want to buy it. Their vehicles were called "Jeeps" and are still called that way.

Sorry, but I would rather have the brand stay here. Cerebrus is showing lack of patience. Auto industry is becoming a game of patience and survival, and Funds just show the lack of it. They are traders not investors according to Warren Buffet, what can you expect? :nono:

I just posted this in the Viper is Dead topic, but it's appropriate here also...

Yeah, I wonder what form it will be in in 2010...

Considering the recent news about Jeep...

With GM rounding out the HUMMER line (H3T, HX(H4), upcoming hybrids), I have to wonder if GM would fight for Jeep, or even consider it.

HUMMER's image is still going strong, and has a lot of potential if managed correctly. Jeep has been drug through the mud with cute-utes and Cerberus.

Fear not though, we'll still have the building to remember Chrysler by after all is said and done:

chrysler.jpg

It's a real shame. Little by little our heritage is being dismantled by poor leadership in government, incompetence in our business leaders and stupidity on the part of the buying public.

The "Jeep" was a part of the "Greatest Generation". Now it's just another American company to be sold off to the highest bidder.

It's only a matter of time before most of the posters here will be sitting in a little cubicle answering the phone for businesses in India and China.

"Patel (made up name to fit in with customer) Speaking, Jeep division service department, how can I help you?"

GM SHOULD buy Jeep... and turf Hummer, because Jeep's got the history.

That would be interesting..I've always thought of Hummer as macho bling poser junk, while Jeep was the brand with legit 4wd history and capability...

It is ironic. Mahindra manufactured Jeeps and Willys under the license for 50 years, when it expired in 1992-3 something. Now they want to buy it. Their vehicles were called "Jeeps" and are still called that way.

Yeah, apparently amongst some people in India, small SUVs are called 'jeeps' in a generic sense...I worked with a guy from India that referred to his Rav4 as a jeep, event though it's not a Jeep..

It's a real shame. Little by little our heritage is being dismantled by poor leadership in government, incompetence in our business leaders and stupidity on the part of the buying public.

"Patel (made up name to fit in with customer) Speaking, Jeep division service department, how can I help you?"

You would be crazy to think that the three headed dog wouldn't do this to Chrysler. That is what they are in the business of doing. They don't "fix" companies, they sell them off, piece by piece.

You would be crazy to think that the three headed dog wouldn't do this to Chrysler. That is what they are in the business of doing. They don't "fix" companies, they sell them off, piece by piece.

Yes..not a surprise they want to carve up the company..Cerebus are ruthless, greedy capitalist sleaze... anything to make a fast $100 mil or two...

Sell Jeep to Mahindra, Dodge trucks to Nissan, and Chrysler division to a Chinese company...

This is truly disturbing news, it's as if nothing is sacred in this country anymore. Yay Chrysler is an American owned company again, now selling off it's brands to foreign countries. Truly dark days are ahead for the Chrysler Corporation. So I'm going to try my best to snatch up a Challenger while I can because it looks like soon it'll maybe become a Kia.

Yes..not a surprise they want to carve up the company..Cerebus are ruthless, greedy capitalist sleaze... anything to make a fast $100 mil or two...

Sell Jeep to Mahindra, Dodge trucks to Nissan, and Chrysler division to a Chinese company...

For some reason, I still see Hyundai buying Chrysler and possibly Dodge (for the trucks) from Cerberus.

Yeah, apparently amongst some people in India, small SUVs are called 'jeeps' in a generic sense...I worked with a guy from India that referred to his Rav4 as a jeep, event though it's not a Jeep..

Actually, in much of the world "jeep" is a generic term for an SUV. Beijing Jeep made Russian-based 4x4s and only later added actual Jeeps. Mahindra's were sold in Europe as Mahindra Jeep. The Land Cruiser model code is J- for jeep, etc. Willys never protected the brand name (which was a colloquial term to start with), and Chrysler has had an uphill battle convincing people outside of NA that only their Jeeps should be called jeeps.

if this happens, i hope no one buys anymore jeeps here.

nardelli. he raped home depot and he is piloting the boat that will rape chrylser. i am sure he will get a second gold parachute out of that one.

to me, its akin to selling harley to the japanese or chinese or something.

at some point Americans will sit up and put an end to this. We are reaching a point where people are starting to become aware that their product choices do affect their lifestyles here in the US.

if this happens, i hope no one buys anymore jeeps here.

nardelli. he raped home depot and he is piloting the boat that will rape chrylser. i am sure he will get a second gold parachute out of that one.

to me, its akin to selling harley to the japanese or chinese or something.

at some point Americans will sit up and put an end to this. We are reaching a point where people are starting to become aware that their product choices do affect their lifestyles here in the US.

America with its current system has become a tired, raped out, broke-nose whore. Unless we revolutionize as entire population not one or few, we will be gobbled. I mean people talk about security against Arabs post 911, yet now one seems to care that 10% of the stakes of Citibank which is the citizen of US were taken by Arab firms.

We do not need "change" we need big dollars.

Who calls the shots at Cerebrus? I mean, who are their major shareholders? They cannot be this stupid, to piece of Chrysler so soon after 'buying' it. Jeep has been the only consistent jewel that Chrysler has possessed over the past 20 years. What could they be thinking?

Of course, Chrysler is too small to go it alone. Of course, a Nissan/Renault alliance (no pun intended) or whatever makes sense. But selling off Jeep? :duh:

FYI, for those who talk about history, it is AM General which has always made the military jeeps (as Willys, then American Motors General Products etc.), and never Chrysler. Chrysler, through American Motors, acquired the derivative Jeepster branch of the jeep's heritage..

Ford also built the original Jeeps under contract to the US government. The design was by American Bantam, but they didn't have the capacity to build them in quantitiy, so Willys and Ford did.

Meh...

It's not like it matters. History be damned; we're americans and by god we'll sell our soul to the highest bidder.

This country has done nothing but whore itself and it's resources out for the better part of 20 years now. It's a sad day and it's only going to get sadder as the empire continues to collapse.

America with its current system has become a tired, raped out, broke-nose whore. Unless we revolutionize as entire population not one or few, we will be gobbled. I mean people talk about security against Arabs post 911, yet now one seems to care that 10% of the stakes of Citibank which is the citizen of US were taken by Arab firms.

We do not need "change" we need big dollars.

:yes:

An ex-general once told me "War is no longer for the battlefield. Who says the United States isn't at war now?"

He was referring to the continued buying and selling of our resources here in america to countries that are essentially our enemies. Likewise he mentioned that the we were also fighting a war of perception around the globe that was being perpetuated by our enemies.

I'd like some of whatever you're smoking, please.

I have this debate with my mom all of the time. She gets so frustrated that I essentially hold out no hope for this country. I'm just preparing myself for the inevitable fall of america.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

The "Jeep" was a part of the "Greatest Generation". Now it's just another American company to be sold off to the highest bidder.

It's only a matter of time before most of the posters here will be sitting in a little cubicle answering the phone for businesses in India and China.

RichW5 -- FTW!!!

Egads, let me try to enlighten those who are having trouble....

India's Mahindra & Mahindra may have lost its bid for Jaguar and Land Rover, but the manufacturer of industrial and agricultural vehicles has its sights set on expansion, and that means teaming up with a larger automaker.

In order to reach the markets that matter, M&M may be looking to forge an alliance with Chrysler LLC. The Indian firm originally began selling Wranglers in its home market and might be interested in taking Jeep off Cerberus' hands. A report in the Economic Times says that "M&M is reportedly in talks with Chrysler for its iconic Jeep brand" although there's no confirmation that Chrysler is looking to offload the brand – yet.

Could Cerberus finally be looking to begin selling off parts of the Chrysler trifecta as many industry analysts have predicted? It certainly isn't out of the question considering the private equity firm's history. And where does the upcoming M&M Appalachian diesel pickup fit into this equation? The Indian automaker is adamant that it will begin selling its own diesel pickup in the U.S. next year, as well as a diesel hybrid version one year later. If this somewhat far fetched rumor of Jeep being sold to M&M turns out to be true, perhaps we'll see Jeep-branded diesel pickups in the U.S. before the decade is done.

*ahem*

Helllooooooo?!?!?!

:rolleyes: