Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

What does a lawnmower have over an '06 3er?

Flybrian

A dipstick.

From Edmunds' Town Hall Forum

Oh yah, how many of you guys can find the oil dip stick? If you can tell me (lol)

FYI, the dealer told me that there was no such thing on 2006 model any more.

Is this true? No way to check your oil quality/level besides perhaps a computer indication?

Apparently, a driving enthusiast is supposed to care about status over mechanics...

A dipstick.

From Edmunds' Town Hall Forum
Is this true? No way to check your oil quality/level besides perhaps a computer indication?

Apparently, a driving enthusiast is supposed to care about status over mechanics...

[post="31458"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sorry, I don't see the connection between your concluding sentence and the stuff before it.

But, yes, the amount of oil in the engine is displayed on the computer.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, this is all integrated into the BMW Assist (OnStar) system, so that a service adviser can contact you to schedule a service appointment when it's needed (as determined by the car). It constantly sends data regarding brake pad/rotor life, oil changes, etc. It's kinda like an OnStar diagnostic check via satellite, plus a concierge service. Edited by empowah

BMW claims their cars are the "ultimate driving machines" and that implies they are for enthusiast drivers. Typically enthusiast drivers care about their cars, and it therefore seems quite ironic that something as essential as an oil dipstick is not present in a "driver's car." Get it?

BMW claims their cars are the "ultimate driving machines" and that implies they are for enthusiast drivers.  Typically enthusiast drivers care about their cars, and it therefore seems quite ironic that something as essential as an oil dipstick is not present in a "driver's car."

Get it?

[post="31464"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No, the "status" part.

Sorry, I don't see the connection between your concluding sentence and the stuff before it.

But, yes, the amount of oil in the engine is displayed on the computer.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, this is all integrated into the BMW Assist (OnStar) system, so that a service adviser can contact you to schedule a service appointment when it's needed (as determined by the car). It constantly sends data regarding brake pad/rotor life, oil changes, etc. It's kinda like an OnStar diagnostic check via satellite, plus a concierge service.

[post="31461"][/post]

Croc put it best.

Anyway, this seems pretty ridiculous given the propencity for BMW electronics to crap out. I realize Porsche has gone stickless on some models, but they ran both an electronic system dualled with the traditional dipstick for several years for redundancy.

With further searching, I found this:
Posted Image
W-O-W. I love #5. Its defective, so just keep going and have a service tech check it out. On every other car, you simply pop the hood.

--My comment about status is based on the overgadgetry of BMW as of late and the two camps that seems to have formed - those who oppose the new, needless trinkets and detest the luxobarges these simple driver's cars have become and those who don't care simply because 'its a BMW.'

Croc put it best.

Anyway, this seems pretty ridiculous given the propencity for BMW electronics to crap out. I realize Porsche has gone stickless on some models, but they ran both an electronic system dualled with the traditional dipstick for several years for redundancy.

Posted Image
W-O-W.

[post="31469"][/post]

Owners manuals always overcomplicate things. Checking oil without iDrive is standard on-board computer stuff... it's just that in addition to choosing between fuel consumption, instantaneous fuel consumption, fuel remaining, miles to empty tank, outside temperature, etc, there's an oil level one.

Owners manuals always overcomplicate things. Checking oil without iDrive is standard on-board computer stuff... it's just that in addition to choosing between fuel consumption, instantaneous fuel consumption, fuel remaining, miles to empty tank, outside temperature, etc, there's an oil level one.

[post="31473"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

its not about the methodology used to check the oil, its about not being fully aware of the level or - more importantly - the quality of the oil. A visual inspection is the easiest and quickest way to check.

its not about the methodology used to check the oil, its about not being fully aware of the level or - more importantly - the quality of the oil. A visual inspection is the easiest and quickest way to check.

[post="31479"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Oh, I thought the "W-O-W" was for the seeming complexity of the manual.

Sorry to drag this any further, but isn't that what an Oil-Quality Indicator is for? :P I've found Mobil 1 turns dark after a few miles, so it's difficult to judge the quality of oil just from looking at it, short of sending it to Blackstone Labs for an analysis.

But, yeah, I agree... they should have left the dipstick. Edited by empowah

I would prefer to have the dipstick to check things out myself. Of course, being an aircraft mechanic, I am used to sensors not exactly reading correctly after a while. As to the owners manual, that thing is starting to read like our general reference manuals. At least it isn't as long (we have 11 for the engines alone)

I heard from a mechanic that VW is making "special" oil pan plugs that only VW dealerships will have the "key" for starting in 2007 assuring that anyone that buys a VW will HAVE to get it serviced at a dealership. Not sure of the validity of the claim, but if true, reason number 7,540 not to buy a VW.

I heard from a mechanic that VW is making "special" oil pan plugs that only VW dealerships will have the "key" for starting in 2007 assuring that anyone that buys a VW will HAVE to get it serviced at a dealership.  Not sure of the validity of the claim, but if true, reason number 7,540 not to buy a VW.

[post="31555"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I always hear rumors like that where dealers attempt to prevent anyone from doing oil changes and such, but I've never seen one actually come to light. VW would have to be dumbfoundingly stupid to do something like that, because customers would hate them plus copies of the "special key" would be available at any car parts store within a month or two anyway. Edited by rearden82

I always hear rumors like that where dealers attempt to prevent anyone from doing oil changes and such, but I've never seen one actually come to light. VW would have to be dumbfoundingly stupid to do something like that, because customers would hate them plus copies of the "special key" would be available at any car parts store within a month or two anyway.

[post="31556"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Also there would be garages out there that would weld something to the bolt and take it out, replace it with a standard bolt.

On the dipstick issue. I hated the fact that my 99 Grand am had no transmission dipstick. BMW is out of their mind not to have a dipstick, does it cost that much more to be redundant?

I heard from a mechanic that VW is making "special" oil pan plugs that only VW dealerships will have the "key" for starting in 2007 assuring that anyone that buys a VW will HAVE to get it serviced at a dealership.

This is saab's forte'. For a number of years they changed the brake hardware fastener heads every year or two, to the point of inventing their own 'slot' designs, forcing their own brand mechanics to purchase new sets of tools to fix them.
Being able to work on the car you overpaid for and own seems like an inalienable right to me. I have no interest in ever buying an 'owner-hostile' vehicle... :angry:

Croc put it best.

Posted Image
W-O-W. I love #5. Its defective, so just keep going and have a service tech check it out. On every other car, you simply pop the hood.

--My comment about status is based on the overgadgetry of BMW as of late and the two camps that seems to have formed - those who oppose the new, needless trinkets and detest the luxobarges these simple driver's cars have become and those who don't care simply because 'its a BMW.'

[post="31469"][/post]

Put my little sister in the later camp because that's why she bought her 630 convertible. She tested a new Viper and a new Corvette but passed because they were white trash cars and had no status. God forbid that a Viper or Vette would ruin her doctor status in Manhattan beach. Give me a break...

"Hello Mr. Smith, this is John with BMW customer care, it looks like you need an oil change. When would you like to schedule your appointment with your local dealership?" Mr. Smith: "Actually I just got my oil changed at Jiffy Lube." John: "Well I'm sorry sir but your warranty is now void. It looks like your engine will also have to be replaced because of a bad o2 sensor, and your tires need to be replaced, along with your rear windshield. When would you like to come in?" :lol:

Put my little sister in the later camp because that's why she bought her 630 convertible. She tested a new Viper and a new Corvette but passed because they were white trash cars and had no status. God forbid that a Viper or Vette would ruin her doctor status in Manhattan beach. Give me a break...

[post="34682"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I worked in Manhattan for a few months, nobody drives Vettes, never saw a Viper. You'll see at least 5 996TT's (probably closer to 10) for every Vette.

Why anyone would try a Vette or Viper in NYC would be beyond me, at least Porsche Carrera's have awd and acceleration is non-issue. You'll see 10 7ers and Sclasses at every intersection in Manhattan though.

Anyways if she were a performance enthusiast she'd have bought a Porsche or M6, she obviously isnt.

Corvette owners are usually branded redneck, I don't think Viper owners are.

I worked in Manhattan for a few months, nobody drives Vettes, never saw a Viper.  You'll see at least 5 996TT's (probably closer to 10) for every Vette.

Why anyone would try a Vette or Viper in NYC would be beyond me, at least Porsche Carrera's have awd and acceleration is non-issue. You'll see 10 7ers and Sclasses at every intersection in Manhattan though.

Anyways if she were a performance enthusiast she'd have bought a Porsche or M6, she obviously isnt.

Corvette owners are usually branded redneck, I don't think Viper owners are.

[post="36865"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No she isn't, she fell in love with all the gadgets. I on the other hand don't give a sh*t what the rest of the people think, I would buy a "redneck" Vette anyday and drive circles aorund most cars that cost more. They can keep there Euro - mobiles and lame status that comes with them. As soon as my son starts driving in a year or so, it will be time to trade in my TA for a new Vette. I will be a proud "redneck" Vette enthusiast. B)

P.S. When I was visiting Manhattan Beach, I noticed how many people drove MB and BMW. Talk about the "sheep" mindset. How can you stand out in a town where everyone drives the same damn car. I guess the Jones have to keep up with all the other Jones. At least a Vette would stand out against a sea of BMW, MB, Jags, etc. When she took me to Bel Air, I saw plenty of Ferarri, Lamborghini, Bentlys. Now we are talking cars. :) Edited by prinzSD

In today's world of oil life monitors and on-board computer-calculated service intervals, I can't remember the last time I pulled a dipstick out to check oil....

[post="36881"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You really trust those little sensors?

If I'm investing more than $500 in a car, its the responsible thing to check your tire pressue and fluids on a regular basis, regardless if it has monitoring systems or not. Its what separates drivers from mere operators, IMO.

If I'm investing more than $500 in a car, its the responsible thing to check your tire pressue and fluids on a regular basis, regardless if it has monitoring systems or not. Its what separates drivers from mere operators, IMO.

[post="37442"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree, and how many times have our electronic gadgets failed us in everyday life. I am certainly not going to put blind faith in a computer sensor to tell me my oil, coolant, etc needs to be checked. How hard is it to check your fluids every other gas fill up. Are people that lazy that they can not check fluids themselves. Now I need to go check my bodily fluids as well :P

[post="37442"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's a waste of time and energy.....

At LEAST during the warranty period of your car, it's MORE than safe to trust the monitors. I have and have never had a problem with ANY car I've driven that's had them....

AND if something goes wrong with them, it's not your issue.....warranty would cover it.

Now maybe if you kept the car AFTER the warranty, you might be more diligent to check it more often....

BUT the BMWs we've had, have 4yrs and 50K miles on the warranty.....AND all maintenance (including oil changes) are covered by BMW. Therefore, BMW's procedure is to perform services based upon the computer-controlled service intervals.

Plus we've never kept them anywhere near the length of the warranty.....

There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with embracing smart technology that works....and CERTAINLY doesn't make me ANY less of a "driver"

It takes me like under 10 minutes to check everything on my car. I don't know anyone that busy.

[post="38144"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

But the point is....if you have one of these cars with oil life monitors, etc., you don't need to do ANYTHING.....

NOW....if you like to check the stuff BECAUSE you enjoy it....you're a gearhead/enthusiast, etc., then that's WAY okay.....I understand that....

I also like to hand wash my car myself.....with today's touchless car washes, I probably waste time and effort doing it....but I enjoy it...so I see your point.

I'm just saying that if you are not into doing that stuff as an enthusiast, there's no point or reason to doing it. That's all....

I think you're missing the point, though. The idea is that the sensors are still prone to failure--no matter how advanced they are now. They CAN fail. The only absolutely surefire way to know something like when to check the oil is to check for yourself. As was said before, it would be best to have the redundancy of a dipstick and monitor.

I think you're missing the point, though. The idea is that the sensors are still prone to failure--no matter how advanced they are now. They CAN fail. The only absolutely surefire way to know something like when to check the oil is to check for yourself. As was said before, it would be best to have the redundancy of a dipstick and  monitor.

[post="38273"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Short of sending a sample to a lab, how do you check the oil without sensors anyway? In my experience, Mobil 1 synthetic turns dark in no time at all. Edited by empowah

Holy crap I just lost a lot of respect for BMW.... this is retarded. :huh: Sounds like an April Fools Joke.

I admit to not checking things as often as I should but I do try to at least every 2 weeks check the fluids on the Equinox. And I never wait for the oil life thing to tell me to change my oil. I change it every 2500 miles wheather it needs it or not. Edited by 2005 EquinoxLS