Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2009 VIBE first drive

A standard telescoping steering wheel and height-adjustable seats aid the view over the Vibe's imposingly monolithic dashboard and finally create a driving position that suits those of full-size proportions.
That was my biggest gripe with the old version. I have long legs, and no telescoping wheel made it almost imposible for me to sit comfortably.

think of the Vibe as a superior alternative to a Dodge Caliber.

Thats not hard to do. :lol:

I would also consider the Suzuki SX4 as a better Caliber alternative.

Meh...

Not bad. I'd really like to see a hot GXP version.

Now if Pontiac will just market the thing decently, they could add some pretty serious volume. However, I have a feeling that both it and the G8 will be forgotten about on the marketing side.

IMO, Pontiac should probably have the HHR SS and Chevrolet should probably have the Vibe (Theoretically) unless a GXP Vibe is on the way. I mean, isn't Pontiac supposed to be the excitement division?

• 2 weeks later...

I went cruising the car lots this weekend and got to see the new Vibe for the first time in the flesh. OY! What a misshapen mess it is. I can't say a single good thing about it, inside or out. I truly detest Toyota's latest styling trend of the melted look with these subtle character lines and dips and raised areas in the body panels. There is no mistaking this thing as being Toyota based. Pontiac should be embarrassed to have it sitting in the showroom.

I went cruising the car lots this weekend and got to see the new Vibe for the first time in the flesh. OY! What a misshapen mess it is. I can't say a single good thing about it, inside or out. I truly detest Toyota's latest styling trend of the melted look with these subtle character lines and dips and raised areas in the body panels. There is no mistaking this thing as being Toyota based. Pontiac should be embarrassed to have it sitting in the showroom.

While at the Mall of America this morning I too saw my first new vibe and had to look twice (after a quick glance I thought it was the G8 because all I really saw was the grille sticking out). I then realized it was not due to the horrible shaped headlights, which are my main gripe about the front end. If the headlights weren't so huge the front wouldn't look all that bad. Overall it was nothing too exciting to look at, I guess it could be worse....

• 2 weeks later...
I got to check one out this weekend. The knobs clunk around and the overall car is not well put together. It seemed very typical toyota. And yet the media talks it up . . .

I've never understood this too. I got a chance to scrutinize a loaded Vibe GT (2008) and a 2008 HHR LT and I couldn't help but say that the HHR was better in every way.

I've never understood this too. I got a chance to scrutinize a loaded Vibe GT (2008) and a 2008 HHR LT and I couldn't help but say that the HHR was better in every way.

I wouldn't do that far.....The Vibe has a nicer interior, fit and finish and plastics. The HHR has a significantly better ride and handling, not to mention power. The Toyota engine is no match for the ecotec in terms of power, but I suspect those who are buying the Matrix/Vibe are little interested in power.

I don't give a flying crap about "soft touch" plastics, if the cloth upholstery is as crappy as it is. Yes. The HHR does induce random fits of clausterphobia, and yes, quite a few ergonomic items are questionable, but the upholstery isn't that run of the mill, unsubstantial, every-import cloth.

03633510.jpg

03625569.jpg

They don't rock the GM badge?

I still have to see the Vibe in person (I saw it at the auto show-but you couldn't get anywhere near it)

I've always had a soft side for the Vibe, and almost everyone I know who has one has been problem free (One I know already has 156k on it with little more than the basic stuff..)

My biggest gripe with it was that the engine had no guts along with a trans that you could push faster...

Time to hit the dealership....

I don't give a flying crap about "soft touch" plastics, if the cloth upholstery is as crappy as it is. Yes. The HHR does induce random fits of clausterphobia, and yes, quite a few ergonomic items are questionable, but the upholstery isn't that run of the mill, unsubstantial, every-import cloth.

Soft-touch plastics? Where?! :P

The Matrix I sat in was a horror show. I haven't seen such a cheap interior since I had my Grand Am. It's a definite downgrade from the first gen.

• 3 weeks later...
The Vibe needs to become a bad memory as soon as contractually possible.

It should not exist.

Well, if it sells and makes money for Pontiac, and gets people in the showrooms at the same time (especially if it makes "fans" out of the owners)..... what could be bad about that?

I'm not a fan of Toyota by any stretch, nor do I particularly like the Vibe, but I never see Matrix's on the road, yet I see a lot of Vibes, and they seem to always get good reviews, and by using Toyota running gear, it's easy to recommend to people who would not otherwise buy a GM (at least GM still gets a sale and the $$).

And along the lines of fans and sales... picture this - the FWD hidden away and not mentioned (sold, but only per request), the GT becomes AWD, and the drive bias is shifted to primarily RWD (minimum of 50/50, preferably at least 40/60), and gets a s/c or even the Solstice GXP turbo Ecotec.

The Imprezza went wagon/hatch/thing. If it remains in the fight against the Evo, then that means the Vibe can play too, with the right drive setup and enough power. Plus it's in the face of the Mazda 3, and great for "lifestyle" people who buy Scion Xbs or Asteks.

It really could be a useful vehicle, but even just as it sits, if it's moving, it's already useful. I just think they really need to leverage it. But.... lacking the vision of people like Bunkie, Wangers or Delorian, and stiffled and stymied by the schizphrenia of Putz, I fear it won't happen.

• 1 month later...

Car and Driver has a short take on the vibe GT manual.

0-60 in 7.9, 5-60 in 8.5, 16.0 qtr mile. 22 mpg observed.

they called it 'sensible shoes'. Not enough to overtake a mazda 3 but better than a standard caliber.

they did not like the steering but everything else they seemed amenable to. they were complimentary of the interior function.

I would have liked to see that 0-60 in the 7.0 range....but oh well.

The Caliber may not be class leading at anything besides useful storage but I'd still pick it over the Vibe. This ugly thing suffers from Toyota's epidemic of bloat-itis. It's like the old Vibe stuffed with lard to the point where it's about to explode. The Caliber is at least taught and toned. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but at least it doesn't look fat.

03633510.jpg

03625569.jpg

They don't rock the GM badge?

You can buy the GM Chicklets at any GM parts dealership store for about 3 bucks, all you have to do is remove the tape on the back and adhere them to the Vibe yourself.

Mrs. PCS told me just yesterday on the phone that when we return to the USA she would like to have an AWD Vibe. God I sure hope the HHR has an AWD model out by then. :AH-HA_wink: