Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Are you ready for...

...spring/summer...?!

Baseball players are reporting to training camp. Spring Training is just around the bend. The Arizona Cactus and Florida Grapefruit Leagues are about to start. And ... spring is in the air.

Well, maybe not yet. But...hope springs eternal.... Time to share five "truths...learned the hard way" from _The Cubs Fan's Little Book Of Wisdom_ by Jim Langford....

Don't count your chickens...

or, as Ernie Banks puts it, reflecting on 1969, "Sometimes you think you have something in the bag, but the bag breaks."

If you're in a job where the people you work with are driving you insane, think about quitting.

Herman Franks said he had enough of Barry Foote, Ted Sizemore, and, later, Bill Buckner...so he quit. (Of course, Herman also had a personal fortune in the millions to go home to.)

Be careful what you predict.

Leo Durocher never lived down his famous, "This is not an 8th place ballclub," as his Cubs finished 10th in 1966. A year later, he said only, "We will not win the pennant in 1967."

Don't let a bad day discourage you.

Billy Williams went 0-for-4 in his first game as a Cub.

"I have never known a stranger -- only friends I haven't met yet."

Jack Brickhouse

And, for good measure, a "winter sport" quote from the 1980 US Olympic Hockey Team win in Lake Placid:

"Do you believe in miracles?!"

Al Michaels

So ... while the soon-to-be-here spring reminds me that I haven't completed much of what I wanted to this winter (anyone else in the same boat?) ... who else is looking forward to spring/summer sports (i.e. baseball, softball, etc.) and events (i.e. car shows, friends/family gatherings, etc.)?

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Baseball time is here again" ... Steve Goodman ... 'Go Cubs Go'

Given we are going to get about 12 inches of snow tommorrow we have to wait a bit longer before sping comes out and the B-bodies get driven. Right now they are safely tucked away out of harms way. I wonder what I will do with all this now. I already have a bank in front of my house that is almost as high as me. Lucky I dont have too the crap though like the old house.

Edited by 2005 EquinoxLS

So ... did ya'll get that forecasted amount of snow? We only got a trace of snow....

"Now & then what might have been interferes with what might be" ... Mark Chestnut ... 'I Just Wanted You To Know'

I'm looking forward to spring so i can get back out on my bike, and do some kayaking. This winter of inactivity is driving me insane. I'm definately looking forward to baseball (go Cubbies!) but I doubt I'll get a chance to get to any games. No plans to go to Chicago anytime this summer (plus Cubs tickets are hard to some by) and I wouldn't waste my time with the Cardinals (St. Louis or Springfield) so I'm going ot have to live with Sportscenter being my main source of baseball.

Let's get the nice cars back on the road!

*beams*

Oh My Yes!!!!!!!! I can't wait to get my older 4 MCs out this year :).

I'm definately looking forward to baseball (go Cubbies!) but I doubt I'll get a chance to get to any games. No plans to go to Chicago anytime this summer (plus Cubs tickets are hard to some by) and I wouldn't waste my time with the Cardinals (St. Louis or Springfield) so I'm going ot have to live with Sportscenter being my main source of baseball.

Hmmm...as powerful as WGN radio is, I would think you'd be able to get it late at night, Satty....

So, what do you think the Cubs chances are this year? I'm not so optimistic as others I know.....

"Don't say it ain't so, you know the time is now" ... John Fogerty ... 'Centerfield'

I'm looking forward to spring so i can get back out on my bike, and do some kayaking. This winter of inactivity is driving me insane. I'm definately looking forward to baseball (go Cubbies!) but I doubt I'll get a chance to get to any games. No plans to go to Chicago anytime this summer (plus Cubs tickets are hard to some by) and I wouldn't waste my time with the Cardinals (St. Louis or Springfield) so I'm going ot have to live with Sportscenter being my main source of baseball.

What's a Cubs fan doing in the middle of Cardinals country, anyway?

As a diplomatic Cardinals fan, I think your team should do well - it certainly looks good on paper, anyway. I hope, however, you'll forgive me if I root against you and everything you stand for with every fiber of my being.

-RBB

What's a Cubs fan doing in the middle of Cardinals country, anyway?

As a diplomatic Cardinals fan, I think your team should do well - it certainly looks good on paper, anyway. I hope, however, you'll forgive me if I root against you and everything you stand for with every fiber of my being.

-RBB

:thumbsup: to the fellow Cards fan!

Good thing that skid's over... too bad we're still first overall even with losing 6 straight! :P

But seriously, our D was $h!, the offense wasn't putting an effort in, and Osgood was weak sauce.

Now we've got:

• Top two goalies in GAA
  • Datsyuk tied for first in assists (51)
  • Lidstrom for fourth in assists (50.. and just injured last night :( )
  • 4/7 of the top +/- players (including #1 and 2)
  • Zetterberg is 5 pts out of the points lead (73 pts in 55 games vs. Ovechkin's 78 pts in 60 games)
  • 10 point lead on the West (and league)
  • 16 point lead on the East
  • 20 point lead on our division

I like it. :)

Edited by NOS2006

Grrrr. Their reign as a winning team needs to end, and soon. Grrr.

Yeah, the offense was definitely sucking. The defense couldn't make up for it.

You should've seen some of the goals from last night.. Franzen made one from basically on the goal line, it was a very, very sharp angle. Datsyuk and Zetterberg were working together simply beautifully like earlier this season. They just looked very on and sharp as a team.

You should've seen some of the goals from last night.. Franzen made one from basically on the goal line, it was a very, very sharp angle. Datsyuk and Zetterberg were working together simply beautifully like earlier this season. They just looked very on and sharp as a team.

Trade them both to the L.A. Kings. :P They need the help.

Trade them both to the L.A. Kings. :P They need the help.

haha No thanks. Speaking of them though, rumor has it that we're looking into Rob Blake (who should be out a couple more weeks due to his ankle). Could you imagine Detroit with Nick Lidstrom and Rob Blake on the blue line?!

Meanwhile, we're also looking into Fedorov, Hossa, Sundin, and a few others to add some depth, along with a possibility of Darren McCarty returning this year or next to add some grit.

I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL SPRING!

...and the hockey playoffs...right? ;)

"Don’t you knock on my door, I won’t be home anymore" ... Jennifer Warnes ... 'I Know A Heartache When I See One'