thegriffon

Ford Unveils All New FG Falcon

41 posts in this topic

Ford Unveils All New FG Falcon

Ford Australia today unveiled the all-new FG Falcon range, showcasing all-new exterior and interior architectures and designs, an all-new front suspension, new powertrains with more power, more torque and improved fuel economy, and an advanced safety package.

The official debut of the 2008 FG Falcon included the entire new model range, with sedan, Ute and Ford Performance Vehicles line-ups all on show ahead of mainstream sedan models going on sale in May.

The all-new FG Falcon range also introduces a new model line-up and nomenclature, incorporating the new sports luxury G Series sedan range, along with three different exterior front end treatments and a significant realignment of models and specifications. …

Full release and dozens of photos at AutoReport

Some say that the next generation after this Falcon's platform will be used for a RWD Taurus/Crown Victoria replacement. Some say on other message boards that this Falcon, though the approximate size of a Fusion, is almost as roomy as a Crown Victoria.

Conservative, but pretty attractive!

I can see the family resemblance to the new Ford small car (The name escapes me right now)

The Verve concept? (i.e. the '09 Fiesta).

I wonder how the Falcon would look with a Ford NA Taurus-style 3 bar grille. It's kind of a dull design, but they got the hardware right (V8, RWD, IRS..).

Ugh, it was a mistake to photograph all of the different trim levels in gray with a white background. My eyes didn't open until the pics of the sporty blue one came up. They've caught GM's affliction of unflattering photography.

The car itself, while having what appears to be a clone of the Commodore's greenhouse, is promising. If the Fiesta hints that Ford NA will adopt Europe's kinetic design cues as seen on this Falcon, maybe they could bring it over as-is. But I still prefer the Interceptor sedan.

The Interceptor was much better-looking than this. It's ok, I suppose.

Note that although Holden has spent money on lwb models (Caprice/Statesman), a wagon, and a new Ute, this is the only "new" model Ford is getting. The lwb models are dead (slaughtered by the Holden duo and the lack of an export market), the Falcon Ute is the FG nose on the old model (which dates to 1979) and the wagon (the rear structure of which is just as old) doesn't even get that.

dull drab dated exterior.

interior has minor flashes.

overall, doesn't approach the panache of the euro products or something stylish like the Iosis concept (which by the way is what the 2010 taurus is modeled after-that and the jag xf / astons).

the g8 is much nicer and there's no reason to talk about bringing this dud here.

Edited by regfootball

dull drab dated exterior.

interior has minor flashes.

overall, doesn't approach the panache of the euro products or something stylish like the Iosis concept (which by the way is what the 2010 taurus is modeled after-that and the jag xf / astons)

Isn't the '10 Taurus supposed to be just a restyle of the current car, though? Just another FWD model?

Isn't the '10 Taurus supposed to be just a restyle of the current car, though? Just another FWD model?

same chassis entirely different car. there is a photo out there that it might be. lower, much lower. wider. hofmeister kink on the rear. it's kind of a mainstreamed version of the xf. the 09 and 10 have no visible tie. its more rakish than the mks. 340+ hp twinforce/ecoboost option with powershift dsg tranny will be available after lauch sometime down the road. awd available

-edit-

ok, on drive this picture i found, this interior pic does look pretty damn nice. i could really dig this. but this must be a high end model. i hope what we get here has this sort of sophisticated look.

G6E_interior1_L_700.jpg

Edited by regfootball

<---Agreed with Croc on that interior

The exterior isn't the most exciting thing out there, but I like it.

same chassis entirely different car. there is a photo out there that it might be. lower, much lower. wider. hofmeister kink on the rear. it's kind of a mainstreamed version of the xf. the 09 and 10 have no visible tie. its more rakish than the mks. 340+ hp twinforce/ecoboost option with powershift dsg tranny will be available after lauch sometime down the road. awd available

You mean this?

untitled.jpg

A "mainstream Jaguar XF" might be a bit of a stretch. It looks like the current car in a lot of ways, only with an refreshed design aft of the rear doors.

Edited by YellowJacket894

yes that. keep in mind the xf has rwd proportions. this has fwd proportions with some similar cues, which is why i said it would be a mainstream version. it also will have some iosis elements. there is no way to make the proportions of a fwd car look like a long hood rwd car. the orange car in the photo has no visual connection AT ALL to the current model.

Edited by regfootball

The blurry orange clay reminds me a bit of the Lucerne and new Accord shapes..

Took the words right out of my mouth. And we know how much Reg liked those, especially the latter... :P

... and Passat.

The FG Falcon looks boring, but I suppose it's what's underneath that counts.

Damn I like that interior.......

Exterior is attractive....but not attention-getting necessarily. I'd say it's on par with the G8 style-wise.....

Interior looks very nice, although the steering wheel could be better. Exterior is alrigt but I like the Commodore's proportions a bit better.

The Ute is interesting that it has a separate bed...

I think the new G Series Falcon would make a nice flagship sedan for Mercury. The styling isn't exactly cutting edge, but it is miles ahead of the ancient Grand Marquis. I say discontinue the Grand Marquis and import the new Falcon G Series as the new Mercury Marquis (no more "Grand" monikers, sounds too much like Grandpa or Grandma). The new XR Falcon would make a good, new generation Maurader, too.

I know, I know, this is just a pipe dream. The Falcon platform wasn't engineered for left hand drive, it would be too expensive to convert the car to pass U.S. regulations, and Mercury will probably be retired before long. It was a nice dream, while it lasted.

Mercury would have had a killer lineup if Ford would have engineered some of their foreign products for import to the U.S.:

* Mercury Capri: European Focus 3-door, 5-door, and coupe-cabrio.

* Mercury Mondeo: European Mondeo sedan, 5-door, and wagon.

* Mercury Marquis: New Australian Falcon G Series.

* Mercury Maurader: New Australian Falcon XR Series.

* Mercury Mariner: European Kuga crossover.

* Mercury Monterey: European S-MAX crossover.

I know this topic has been brought up several times, but I thought it would be great to take one more look at what could have been.

Edited by cire

I think the new G Series Falcon would make a nice flagship sedan for Mercury. The styling isn't exactly cutting edge, but it is miles ahead of the ancient Grand Marquis. I say discontinue the Grand Marquis and import the new Falcon G Series as the new Mercury Marquis (no more "Grand" monikers, sounds too much like Grandpa or Grandma). The new XR Falcon would make a good, new generation Maurader, too.

I know, I know, this is just a pipe dream. The Falcon platform wasn't engineered for left hand drive, it would be too expensive to convert the car to pass U.S. regulations, and Mercury will probably be retired before long. It was a nice dream, while it lasted.

Mercury would have had a killer lineup if Ford would have engineered some of their foreign products for import to the U.S.:

* Mercury Capri: European Focus 3-door, 5-door, and coupe-cabrio.

* Mercury Mondeo: European Mondeo sedan, 5-door, and wagon.

* Mercury Marquis: New Australian Falcon G Series.

* Mercury Maurader: New Australian Falcon XR Series.

* Mercury Mariner: European Kuga crossover.

* Mercury Monterey: European S-MAX crossover.

I know this topic has been brought up several times, but I thought it would be great to take one more look at what could have been.

You've got some nice ideas.

My only thing is that I've been adament that these european/australian cars should be branded as Fords. Mercury is a dying name....with a dying dealership infrastructure....almost no (positive) brand recognition in the market anymore...

Also, giving these cars to Mercury would only take away precious marketing/advertising/product planning dollars away from the core Ford brand just to try to launch this "new" Mercury product line.

(I've often wondered if the Merkur XR4Ti would have been more successful if it were branded the "new" Ford Capri and sold through regular Ford dealerships??)

Ford needs to replace the (old) Focus, the (new) Taurus, and the (really old) Crown Victoria. Ideal replacements would be the Euro Focus, Euro Mondeo, and Aussie Falcon (maybe with a lengthened wheelbase for interior room?) Mondeo could effectively replace both Fusion and Taurus.....and a short (re...in existence now) wheelbase Falcon could probably be a larger alternative for the Taurus where the Mondeo might be a bit small to replace it totally.

Kuga and S-Max would fit perfectly alongside (new) Explorer and the larger existing trucks. Mustang will always be a stable staple in the Ford lineup.

Mercury needs to die.....and Lincoln needs a new life.

Exterior is blah...the interior however much like the G8's is far better than anything Ford or GM for that matter is producing in North America.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead