Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Have to have surgery(ies)

Paolino

What would you do...  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have one surgery in April or wait to have both in the summer?

• April Break, just tonsils
    • Summer, do one surgery at a time
    • Summer, do both surgeries

Okay, so here's the deal:

Little background info:

I have enormous tonsils... like the biggest any doctor has ever seen (it is directly related to hoohah size from what I hear :AH-HA_wink: )

Anyway, I also have a severe deviated septum... and severe sleep apnea. I can't use the machine, because my nose doesn't allow enough air to pass through it (literally my entire right nostril is closed), for me to breathe at night.

Doctors have recommended I have the tonsils removed and the septum opened. This is coming from 3 different doctors. And all 3 say to do it at the same time, because the real risk in surgery is the anesthesia. My mother however, of course, must fight this. So she has been asking her own doctor, who says have him do one, then the other (mind you her doctor has never seen me).

Now, towards the end of April, I have just over a week off... including weekends, it'll be 10 days in a row. I could potentially have the surgery and recuperate during that time, but only have the tonsils done, because having both done in April requires 2-3 weeks of recuperation.

Also, keep in mind, I'm a language teacher, and I need to be able to speak when I return to work. And in May, just 3 weeks after the vacation, I have to have close to 500 brief conversations with students for the State Proficiency, and usually, under normal circumstances, I have no voice after the 500.

As for this summer, I'm taking 5 classes for work, but I'm off July and August.

So, what would you do?

If it's not life threatening, I'd wait until the summer to do both. My uncle died the other year because of sleep apnea and it was a big kick in the nuts for the whole family, so apena is not something with which to screw around.

Sorry to hear. Apparently, I have "severe" sleep apnea... but with the removed tonsils and open airway through the nose, they say my breathing will be vastly improved... to the extent I'll feel like a different man during the day.

I'm going to wait until the summer I think... the problem is, I just keep getting sick because of my tonsils constantly getting infected. Sigh.

Anyone wanna buy me a Lucerne CXS or Malibu LTZ as a sympathy gift? :lol:

hoohahs.. i thought women had those...?

I need my wisdom teeth to come out, but they aren't painful.

um, same time sounds like it'd save you time and maybe some $ depending on insurance cripe.

hope everything turns out fine in advance

hoohahs.. i thought women had those...?

No... those are fun bags and vajayjays.

Thanks for the input guys! I'm miserable always being sick, so waiting until July is going to suck--I just need to try and get better after this infection (this time it's bad).

I know I'm coming into this a bit late, Paolino, but I voted to do both at the same time.

However, really, this is something only you and your doctor(s) can determine. I know from experience, sadly. It doesn't matter the type of surgery ... it is _always_ risky; thus, the less times you have to "go under" ... the better (imho, anyway).

Good luck.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Heaven knows how long it's been since I felt so out of place" ... Garth Brooks ... 'Learning To Live Again'

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I couldn't wait. I had to go to the ENT today (I'm sick, yet again), and the tonsils have to come out before summer. The surgery is set for Friday, April 18th (I have off the following week). He's also putting a temporary tube in my right ear because it won't drain whenever I get sick, and I lose hearing for a couple of weeks.

Unfortunately, he said with the tonsils out, palette reshaping, and such, it's not going to cure my sleep apnea--the deviated septum is too severe. That'll be fun for the summer.

And to make matters worse, there's an awesome price on a LOADED 2004 Park Avenue in White Diamond with headsup display, heated seats, rear backup sensors, etc., at my local Buick dealer that I just can't swing right now financially--but man, would I LOVE to have it!

No... those are fun bags and vajayjays.

Thanks for the input guys! I'm miserable always being sick, so waiting until July is going to suck--I just need to try and get better after this infection (this time it's bad).

I always thought they were called breasticles.....

I'd prolly do them at once....get it over with. Aren't getting your tonsils out supposed to be somewhat anti-climactic...?

Looks like I couldn't wait. I had to go to the ENT today (I'm sick, yet again), and the tonsils have to come out before summer. The surgery is set for Friday, April 18th (I have off the following week). He's also putting a temporary tube in my right ear because it won't drain whenever I get sick, and I lose hearing for a couple of weeks.

Unfortunately, he said with the tonsils out, palette reshaping, and such, it's not going to cure my sleep apnea--the deviated septum is too severe. That'll be fun for the summer.

And to make matters worse, there's an awesome price on a LOADED 2004 Park Avenue in White Diamond with headsup display, heated seats, rear backup sensors, etc., at my local Buick dealer that I just can't swing right now financially--but man, would I LOVE to have it!

You deserve a sickness present......get the Park......LOL

You deserve a sickness present......get the Park......LOL

Cool... you footing the bill? :AH-HA_wink:

And the FUNNIEST part--like I must have been delirious... on my way driving home from the doctor's office, I called my dad and told him about it (cause he loves the Park Avenue and was pissed when they got rid of it), and secretly I was hoping he'd say, "Oh, hey, here's a check..."

Yeah right :AH-HA_wink:

Sadly enough, some of my students could probably afford the car if they saved up their allowances. One is going to Hawaii when I get my tonsils out--he got the ticket in his stocking as a stocking stuffer.

Okay, so here's the deal:

Little background info:

I have enormous tonsils... like the biggest any doctor has ever seen (it is directly related to hoohah size from what I hear :AH-HA_wink: )

Anyway, I also have a severe deviated septum... and severe sleep apnea. I can't use the machine, because my nose doesn't allow enough air to pass through it (literally my entire right nostril is closed), for me to breathe at night.

Doctors have recommended I have the tonsils removed and the septum opened. This is coming from 3 different doctors. And all 3 say to do it at the same time, because the real risk in surgery is the anesthesia. My mother however, of course, must fight this. So she has been asking her own doctor, who says have him do one, then the other (mind you her doctor has never seen me).

Now, towards the end of April, I have just over a week off... including weekends, it'll be 10 days in a row. I could potentially have the surgery and recuperate during that time, but only have the tonsils done, because having both done in April requires 2-3 weeks of recuperation.

Also, keep in mind, I'm a language teacher, and I need to be able to speak when I return to work. And in May, just 3 weeks after the vacation, I have to have close to 500 brief conversations with students for the State Proficiency, and usually, under normal circumstances, I have no voice after the 500.

As for this summer, I'm taking 5 classes for work, but I'm off July and August.

So, what would you do?

i had the exact same thing done, with the surgeries coming a week or two apart. the deviated septum (first) took a day or two to recover - no big deal. if you got that done on a friday, you shouldn't miss any time. however, there are numerous deviated septum surgeries, and obviously the recovery time varies. they also didn't completely put me under for the deviated septum surgery - they put me in "twilight", so the anesthesia wasn't much of a risk. that was just my experience. tonsils are a different story. you won't be able to talk for a while. it was a solid two-three weeks of recovery for me. i couldn't talk (which was horrible, cause it was during the NFL playoffs). it shouldn't be that big of a deal to get them done at the same - i understand if you're nervous about it, but the deviated septum thing isn't that big of a deal. your recovery time should be strictly what the recovery time for the tonsils surgery is, so having them at the same time shouldn't affect you that much.

You should have had it done when you were five years old like most people. That was before your tonsils and hoohaa got big. Do it all at once and get it over with.

i had the exact same thing done, with the surgeries coming a week or two apart. the deviated septum (first) took a day or two to recover - no big deal. if you got that done on a friday, you shouldn't miss any time. however, there are numerous deviated septum surgeries, and obviously the recovery time varies. they also didn't completely put me under for the deviated septum surgery - they put me in "twilight", so the anesthesia wasn't much of a risk. that was just my experience. tonsils are a different story. you won't be able to talk for a while. it was a solid two-three weeks of recovery for me. i couldn't talk (which was horrible, cause it was during the NFL playoffs). it shouldn't be that big of a deal to get them done at the same - i understand if you're nervous about it, but the deviated septum thing isn't that big of a deal. your recovery time should be strictly what the recovery time for the tonsils surgery is, so having them at the same time shouldn't affect you that much.

See, that's what I'm concerned about--I'm a language teacher... I need to talk! So, work will be "creative" for a while. My students will have to help me out.

See, that's what I'm concerned about--I'm a language teacher... I need to talk! So, work will be "creative" for a while. My students will have to help me out.

Record yourself giving the lessons.

Hope everything is going well...

Aye ... sorry about this news. Thoughts/prayers coming your way....

And, sorry about that tempting Buick ... too bad you can't swing it right now.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Sometimes it seems like this world's closing in on me" ... Bad English ... 'When I See You Smile'

• 1 month later...

Okay... so I'm having my surgery on Friday... they're doing the tonsillectomy, palette reshape, and tube put in my right ear. Should be a fun recuperation. They're giving me liquid codeine, so all I need is a little umbrella and I will be able to enjoy codeine smoothies! :)

Okay... so I'm having my surgery on Friday... they're doing the tonsillectomy, palette reshape, and tube put in my right ear. Should be a fun recuperation. They're giving me liquid codeine, so all I need is a little umbrella and I will be able to enjoy codeine smoothies! :)

demand vicotinis!

demand vicotinis!

I still have a few Percosets left over. I should request Vicotinis? Hmmm... I'll ask tomorrow when I go in for the pre-surgical testing.

Uh, I think if you're a hairy Italian, you should just not have to go for an EKG and Stress Test before surgery. I plan on being buried with these pads stuck to my chest.

Best of luck dude... good health is paramount.

Uh, I think if you're a hairy Italian, you should just not have to go for an EKG and Stress Test before surgery. I plan on being buried with these pads stuck to my chest.

Did they have to shave portions of your chest.....where the pads went....?

In other words.....do you know have a patch-work of shaved round "holes" in your chest hair...?

:lol:

Did they have to shave portions of your chest.....where the pads went....?

In other words.....do you know have a patch-work of shaved round "holes" in your chest hair...?

:lol:

Yes. One on each side of my nipples. Nice, huh? Fortunately, they didn't have to shave the sides or anything (no hair is there), where they put the slew of other ones.

Good luck!

Surgury is no fun, three of my five children have had surgury in the last 6 months and it is definitely a pain in the arse.

Chris

Oh my God, are they alright?! I hope everything turns out well and they stay out of the hospital!

Not to whine... but I've never been in so much pain in my life. I actually shed a tear and let my mom hold me it was so bad at one time. My entire head feels like someone just crushed it with heavy pressure. Right now I am tolerating it because of the Codeine, but as it approaches my 3:30AM dose, it's wearing off fast. Swallowing is nearly impossible--between my palette being so swollen, and my throat swollen, I just have no room not to mention the pain. I can't wait to unpack my ear tomorrow--I can't sleep on my right side because there's so much cotton in it.

Alright, I've whined enough for one night. I better try and sleep a little more.