Igor2

Ford Redesigns New Models

49 posts in this topic

Friday, February 22, 2008

Ford Redesigns New Models

New-for-2008 models will receive changes for the 2009 year

By Igor Holas

In 2008, Ford released several new models, but none of them were clean-sheet redesigns. Among those, the 2008 Focus, 2008 Escape (and siblings) and 2008 Econoline received a fair amount of criticism for carryover elements, or lacking updates. Ford is getting ready to address that criticism in a costly 2009 re-do of the 2008 launches.

The 2008 launches represent the last vehicles approved and developed before Mark Fields took over Ford of Americas in late 2005. Fields has had some input on these models, but could not order major changes without delaying the introduction schedule. As a result, Fields chose a two-step release of the changes. The originally-planned models were released in 2008, and major flaws addressed in 2009 changes.

MORE HERE: http://www.autosavant.net/2008/02/ford-red...new-models.html

Igor

Interesting..the problem with the Econoline and Super Duty aren't really the carryover elements, but the disgusting front-end styling...

Why not do what GM did and slap a Van body on the F-150 platform?

I know the Escape gets new powertrains but I wonder if it gets any styling improvments. Bring the Kuga over here and that'll solve the problem. :P

I'd liek to know what's in store for the Focus...I must admit to seeing a LOT of them...though I still think they are uglly.

Kuga will get MCE for 2011 model year and come to the US

3rd gen global Focus begin production in April 2010

Igor

I'd liek to know what's in store for the Focus...I must admit to seeing a LOT of them...though I still think they are uglly.

i saw the first one around here and i agree... but it's not the most ugly.

Funny....none of this sounds too dramatic....just sounds like periodic model year updates to me (like adding rear headrests in the Focus? BFD....)

The powertrain changes in the Escape could have been planned for '09 all along. Perhaps they weren't ready for the '08 redesign??

I know the Escape gets new powertrains but I wonder if it gets any styling improvments. Bring the Kuga over here and that'll solve the problem. :P

+1 I really like that Kuga.

the kuga MCE better get a real dash.

09 focus gets stability control standard.

what really matters, when do the new fusion and taurus arrive? someone on BON suggested the all new taurus as early as this fall.

what about the new explorer?

edge needs an interior gut and redo.

Interesting..the problem with the Econoline and Super Duty aren't really the carryover elements, but the disgusting front-end styling...

Not to be argumentative, but does anyone who buys an Econoline really give a crap about the styling? And I actually like the Super Duty.

Agreed, the Focus isn't the prettiest girl in the pageant (although I do like the rear fascia). My guess is that they're selling a lot on the strength of it just being new and the addition of Sync; that's a huge feature at that price level.

Sweet, I'd like to see the 2.5L engine in a Focus Sport model.

What's wrong with the Escape? I think it looks sharp.

I personally like the Escape, but the drivetrainss are kind of subpar. The interior is fisher price, too.

Great driver for a CUV, however, its saving grace.

I like both the Econoline and the Super Duty... Ford's styling blows GM's HD trucks and vans out of the water.

Sweet, I'd like to see the 2.5L engine in a Focus Sport model.

Sounds good....

Not to be argumentative, but does anyone who buys an Econoline really give a crap about the styling? And I actually like the Super Duty.

Agreed, the Focus isn't the prettiest girl in the pageant (although I do like the rear fascia). My guess is that they're selling a lot on the strength of it just being new and the addition of Sync; that's a huge feature at that price level.

OH CMON WE ALL KNOW NOBODY BUYS CARS BECAUSE OF gadgets.........

I like both the Econoline and the Super Duty... Ford's styling blows GM's HD trucks and vans out of the water.

I'd have to agree. The Super Duty doesn't look like it has down's syndrome, it actually looks tough. :P

The Super Duty has nicer colors and trim than the GM HD trucks, which are all monotone, with tiny wheels. I'd much rather have a Duramax/Allison though than the Powerstroke. Power and capability is what these heavy trucks are all about, imo, not just looking good. All the HDs need, imo, is bigger wheels and tires to bring them up to snuff, looks-wise, they are still plenty capable even with the tiny (cheaper to replace for long-haul customers) tires.

The handsome Escape/Mariner will be even better with the powertrain improvements. The Focus is selling well, improvements can only further its cause. This crash redesign of the Taurus is intriguing, especially since we haven't seen any spyphotos yet. The suspense can only help Ford by drumming up curiosity. I just hope Mercury isn't left out in the cold.

I wonder if the new Taurus will just be a de-contented MKS with a Ford grille.

They handle very well, although you are right they are as ugly as the naked Butt of a 600 pound woman.

Chris

I'd have to agree. The Super Duty doesn't look like it has down's syndrome, it actually looks tough. :P

Not a fullsize pickup kind of guy, butI like having three cool domestic designs for pick-em ups. The dodge is very aggresive, the Ford is very original and creative, and the GM design is very clean and masculine.

You can't loose with any of the above.

Chris

True. The Econolines are a better looking truck, but Ford cuts too many corners on its vans. The biggest travesty of all is the 20" they weld onto the back of the van if you want the longer version. As someone who used to drive a full sized van for a living, I can tell you, loading weight behind the rear axle is never a good idea. GM takes the high road and extends the WB by 20" - a safer, but more expensive alternative.

And ask anyone who has ever had to unload via the back doors on the side of a busy road which rear doors they appreciate more? GM's fold right back out of the way, yet still leave the tail lights exposed for safety.

It's all in the details.

True. The Econolines are a better looking truck, but Ford cuts too many corners on its vans. The biggest travesty of all is the 20" they weld onto the back of the van if you want the longer version. As someone who used to drive a full sized van for a living, I can tell you, loading weight behind the rear axle is never a good idea. GM takes the high road and extends the WB by 20" - a safer, but more expensive alternative.

And ask anyone who has ever had to unload via the back doors on the side of a busy road which rear doors they appreciate more? GM's fold right back out of the way, yet still leave the tail lights exposed for safety.

It's all in the details.

GM does have nice Vans. My new company has them, and they are really sweet.

Chris

I have never warmed up to the SuperDuty's new nose. It looks like they gave up designing it and just made the old one square and gigantic. The Econoline doesn't look any better.

I have never warmed up to the SuperDuty's new nose. It looks like they gave up designing it and just made the old one square and gigantic. The Econoline doesn't look any better.

I agree 100% with you on the Econoline. A neighbor of mine has a basic cargo version in white (so does my employer/school district) and I think the new frontend design doesn't work out too well. I'm a little more accepting of the Super Duty's frontend, but not 100% thrilled with it. Atleast Ford still offers two-tones and nice trim on the side of their full-size trucks. I'd still take a GMC Sierra or Savana over any of the Fords though :P

I wonder if the new Taurus will just be a de-contented MKS with a Ford grille.

go to the ford falcon thread for the spyphoto of what is purported to be a 2010 taurus

i am really wanting to see the scoop on the new fusion, in particular, if there is an ecoboost/manual combo. that, and the new front and rear clips and new interior.

Edited by regfootball

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room