Buick may add a car below the LaCrosse

wildcat

Maybe then Buick could eventually have a Riviera coupe off of Alpha?

Would there be enough of a breathing room between a Camaro (eventually moving to Alpha) and the CTS-Coupe/CTC/CT6, so they wouldn't end up stepping on each other's toes? :scratchchin:

Edited by ZL-1

Would there be enough of a breathing room between a Camaro (eventually moving to Alpha) and the CTS-Coupe/CTC/CT6, so they wouldn't end up stepping on each other's toes? :scratchchin:

Well, it would give all three dealer franchise chains a performance/luxury coupe (Chevrolet, BPG, & Cadillac)... I also think a Riviera (even in its current concept form) addresses a completely different type of buyer than the Camaro and CTS coupe. A Riviera buyer will not be looking for an M3 alternative or a Mustang/Challenger alternative. A luxury-touring coupe that's capable of being a practical everyday driving indulgence would be a great position for the Riviera.

Well, it would give all three dealer franchise chains a performance/luxury coupe (Chevrolet, BPG, & Cadillac)... I also think a Riviera (even in its current concept form) addresses a completely different type of buyer than the Camaro and CTS coupe. A Riviera buyer will not be looking for an M3 alternative or a Mustang/Challenger alternative. A luxury-touring coupe that's capable of being a practical everyday driving indulgence would be a great position for the Riviera.

I wonder if that market still exists, though...the last Riviera didn't sell that well..it seems like the whole 'personal luxury' coupe market has dissapeared.

The last Riviera was as big as a Park Avenue. A premium compact FWD or RWD Riviera that's a clear step or two up from an Accord, Solara, or Altima coupe (just for the sake of mainstream coupe market comparisons) may have a large enough market to justify its existence. Currently, I can't think of a vehicle that really fits that market. The A5, CTC, 3-series, CLK, SC430, G37, etc are probably all priced more expensive than the Riviera coupe would be and most lean towards performance than luxury. The mainstream personal coupes out are all FWD and resemble their plebeian sedan cousins with too much parts sharing.

The Riviera would hold a very distinct market with very little overlap from the competition. Now, if it were to also go into production as a luxury hybrid, it would certainly be in a good market position for a personal luxury coupe and as a Buick halo vehicle. A Hybrid Riviera would probably share pricing with the CTC, but would have obvious differences between them to set them apart in the market.

The Riviera would hold a very distinct market with very little overlap from the competition. Now, if it were to also go into production as a luxury hybrid, it would certainly be in a good market position for a personal luxury coupe and as a Buick halo vehicle. A Hybrid Riviera would probably share pricing with the CTC, but would have obvious differences between them to set them apart in the market.

I think you may be onto something here. I like the idea of a smaller coupe carrying the Riviera name. As a matter of fact, I say kill the compact sedan direction and give us a compact coupe in the new Riviera (a new market) and replace the sedan with a compact crossover like the Invicta concept (for an established market) and you have both ends covered. The sedan folks would gravitate to the crossover, which is more practical as a compact, and the allure of a sexy Riviera in a compact luxury form will make sense in the changing environment of gas prices. Love the hybrid idea, do it for both.