Buick

Wonder if that 37 was an Earl body ? I forget what year Sloan "aquired" him. You know I just realized it could be said that the double bubble Lacrosse lights were inspired by the 60 - if you want to look at it that way - better than thinking Jaguar even though being on top of fender they are more like Jag. 66 Riv body just rules the roost in my flavor and I just realized that body beat the Camaro body to market, right ? I like the 66? LeSabre or Wildcat? coupe behind the 58 much better, its in my favorite 60's color too. The Reatta was so nice, thank goodness GM's styling of the mid eightys came when it did, that 77-85 look just needed to go. frankly I think GM had the best looking cars from that 85/86-90/91 era, BMW and Mercedes had decent styling but GM was right in there in my opinion. Edited by razoredge

Earl joined GM in 1928... hence the 1929 "Pregnant Buick" disaster.

Here's some of my favorite Buicks:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

GM needs to expand its SIGMA factory to make a CURVY rwd Buick line in contrast to Caddies ANGULAR look. Style them with a Longer rear overhang and longer weelbases and use the 3.9L V6/5.3L V8 with DOD and do a GS line with the LS2. Bring back the Regal in a CTS based form / the Rivieria - STS based and the Roadmaster long 125in weelbased version of the STS as the new line!

Here is another car that I had not heard of. The Buick Skylark 350 Sun Coupe. Note the full size sun roof with folding canvas top. This was a regular production car and is very rare. (this pic is of a folding brochure, therefore the upside down area).

1972 Skylark 350 Sun Coupe

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by HarleyEarl

Wonder if that 37 was an Earl body ? I forget what year Sloan "aquired" him.
You know I just realized it could be said that the double bubble Lacrosse lights were inspired by the 60 - if you want to look at it that way - better than thinking Jaguar even though being on top of fender they are more like Jag.
66 Riv body just rules the roost in my flavor and I just realized that body beat the Camaro body to market, right ?
I like the 66? LeSabre or Wildcat? coupe behind the 58 much better, its in my favorite 60's color too.
The Reatta was so nice, thank goodness GM's styling of the mid eightys came when it did, that 77-85 look just needed to go. frankly I think GM had the best looking cars from that 85/86-90/91 era, BMW and Mercedes had decent styling but GM was right in there in my opinion.

[post="2341"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Not sure who did that boat tail '37. It's a beautiful version of that car.
I hadn't thought of that before but that '66 Riv has a similar profile to the Camaro only on a bigger scale.
Totally agree about the Reatta and GM's styling of the era. I think the Reatta is an underappreciated car. I have always liked it. Just saw a coupe yesterday...looks so cool when the rear tailights come on...wall to wall....very nice.

What can I say. This 1967 Skylark convertible is simply outstanding. The color, the mags, the 'vents' behind front wheel opening, perfect proportions, the subtle 'scoops' on hood, the tasteful use of chrome, slight bulging of the hood and grill at front ...and on and on.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Seeing all these Buicks images was great! Thanks to all the posters!

HarleyEarl: Especially to you, for that '66 Buick Riviera and '67 Buick Skylark. Both gorgeous!

Earth calling GM... Figure out the essence of those two cars and instill it in all present and future Buicks! To my eyes, lots of chrome looks good (not just "touches" of it, Mr. Lutz), though the Riviera's curvy, sexy shape seems to have had or needed little. And those Buick chrome road wheels on the Riviera and Skylark were beautiful!

Exactly 'wildcat'.....all Buick designers, executives should be required to study Buicks illustrious history and it's designs and pour over photos of past Buicks and catch the 'Buick Spirit'....and this is not just about nostalgia, it's about what this great auto company has done and could do.

My favorite Buicks are the first 3 generations of Rivieras---esp. the '63, '66, and '71. Also, the Electras, Invictas/Wildcats, LeSabres from the early to mid '60s, and the early '70s Centurion convertibles...

the only thing cooler than those sideways opening hoods are the inline-8 engines underneath. :)

the only thing cooler than those sideways opening hoods are the inline-8 engines underneath. :)

[post="2803"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You got that right. It was another example of GM doing something different than the conventional...they didn't have to do this sideways hood, but they did it anyways....I like those unusual details.

The side-opening hoods remind me of some dude with a comb-over caught in a windstorm. They're cool though, kinda like the clamshell hoods on the mid-80's H and C body Buicks. Different just for the sake of it. I like that. This has been a great thread, Harley. Edited by ocnblu

Ohh... I love that bodystyle, and that particular model... a Century Turbo Coupe.  I'd love to build one of those with a badass turbo 3.8 and suspension mods to make it really handle.  Love it!

[post="3224"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Right on Blu!!!....I was hestitant to include the fastback Century/Regal, because not everyone likes it, but I like them alot especially in the Turbo model. Glad to find someone that likes these like I do. Now I will no longer be a closet fastback Century Turbo lover.

Ya know I like those Century's now, back then I didnt because they were all wrong for what they came from. Today its kinda cool to see one. I think someone put a mid engine forget what motor in a 442 or Olds version of that body. I quees it was quite fast. I cnat remember now what forum it was posted on. It was about 4 years ago when I first heard of it. Clamshell hood rocks, its a really smooth operation too, well done, quality, that hood just rolls back like a snap-on tool drawer and drops down and latches - smooooth! It also doesnt shade the over head light in a shop like mine anyhow.

Butternut Yellow ?

For sale locally, I drive past it everyday, looks good from the road and sounds good in the add. Im not a fan of this color, but it still looks good.

Posted Image

1967 CUTLASS HOLIDAY
82kmi orig, 330/V8, jetaway trans, 12 bolt rear, orig bill of sale & owners manual, $5000 Cobleskill, NY (518) 231-0184

Harley, that '68 Skylark convertible is gorgeous. I was always a big fan of that butternut yellow color from that era. Keep those beautiful Buicks coming!!

[post="3993"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

YESSSS...love the Butternut Yellow....in the flesh, in bright sunlight or just at sunset, this color is incredible. Honestly, these Buicks transport me to some wonderful place, I can't describe it.

Razoredge, I couldn't agree more about the red coupe. I always loved that butt on those with that raised area as you described. GM used to be so good at those little, but important details. (my only beef with Buick of the era is the vinyl roofs on these....it didn't suit the flowing lines of that roofline, so I tend to prefer the naked ones) Edited by HarleyEarl

Buick had some kick ass fonts and designs on their emblems in the 50s and 60s. :wub:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Riviera by Buick on at least the 68's was great And once again the 65 LeSabre emblem was awsome. Dont know why they dropped it. I have bought about 3 or 4 of them off E-bay but I dont have a photo and no scanner anymore either. It was a Sabre as in short Sword and the S in LeSabre forms a kinda neat sword handle guard. Im not a swordsman so I dont know the proper term for that part of the sword, anyhow its one awsome emblem. I believe 65 was the year.

Crash tests and safety concerns are conspiring to take the excitement and imagination out of car design. GM, don't let these practical realities steal your creativity! Give us more beautiful cars like the Solstice. Cars that just ooze confidence and romance.

I so agree, Blu. The Solstice represents something that has long been absent at GM....that creative thing that GM was so good at. It was a mantra at GM. The Solstice is a turning point. It will one day be seen as a significant car in many ways for GM....not just for Pontiac. I can't wait until Buicks present cars that embody this new refreshing spirit at GM.

It was another example of GM doing something different than the conventional...they didn't have to do this sideways hood, but they did it anyways....

"GM" didn't do it; Buick did. When the divisions had their own Styling, Engineering, etc, departments, great & wonderous things happened. It's The Answer to The Problem. Cadillac has had their own Engineering Department reinstated a few years ago... how are they doing recently? ;)

Yeah, believe it or not, that was what GM called that color. {Butternut Yellow}

Sounds like I'm trying to be a jerk here, but catch my drift: there are no "GM" cars sold. "GM" didn't call the color anything, but Buick called their particular yellow for '68-69 'Cameo Cream'. All the divisions determined & had their own color palettes. There was some cross-sharing (obviously black is black & white is usually white) & some renaming, but the majority were unique to each division.

So my point again is: return the divisions to even semi-autonomous status and pride & individuality (and 'Buickness' in this case) will return.

All the divisions determined & had their own color palettes. There was some cross-sharing (obviously black is black & white is usually white) & some renaming, but the majority were unique to each division.

SELF-CORRECTION::

Took me some time & a lot of handwriting but I finally answered the question that's been in the back of my mind for years. And I should've known the answer due to the assembly plant issue.
The Divisions for the most part shared identical colors.

I checked the random year of 1966.
Chevy had 15 colors.
Buick had the exact same 15 plus another 7, for a total of 22.
Olds had 13 of the 15 Chevy had, plus the same 7 addition ones Buick had for a total of 20.
Pontiac had 12 of the 'core' 13, dropping one the other 3 had, plus had 1 of the additional 7 and 1 unique, for a total of 15 (2 different from Chevy).

Cadillac had 21 completely unique colors, even their black had a different Ditzler paint code #. But of course Cadillacs were built in their own singular plant.

Sorry for the misdirection; I should've checked first and posted second. :rolleyes: Edited by balthazar