2008 Holden Coupe 60 Concept

2008 Holden Coupe 60 Concept
Two-Door Thunder from Down Under
GMC2008022853723_PV.jpg

GM Holden marked the diamond anniversary of its first all Australian car by unveiling a stunning two-door performance thoroughbred called Holden Coupe 60.

Holden Coupe 60 celebrates the six decades since GM Holden built the 48-215 at its Fishermans Bend plant in Port Melbourne, Victoria, and provides a glimpse of Holden's future directions in design, engineering and emerging engine technologies.

Exemplifying sports luxury, Holden Coupe 60 is a pillarless concept car that explores the limits of Holden's current rear-wheel drive capabilities, combining racing looks and technology into a road going sportscar experience.

Its sophisticated appearance is delivered through simple and powerful design, highlighted by the pillarless construction and V8 supercar inspired cockpit layout and side-exiting chambered exhaust system with billet alloy tips.

Almost 60mm shorter than the VE sedan, and sitting on 21-inch centre-lock alloy wheels with unique design Kumho high performance semi-slick tyres, Holden Coupe 60 captures all that's exciting about the Holden DNA.

Other racing-derived enhancements include full flat under body, rear underbody air diffuser and functional rear deck-lid spoiler with unique designed LED tail lamps.

The interior also has several unique features. They include one piece carbon fiber bucket seats (featuring leather and suede pad design) and a sports-inspired flat bottomed steering wheel with integrated shift light display and LCD sports instrument cluster.

The high gloss carbon fiber carries through to doors and rear trim providing a contrast to the leather trimmed instrument panel and black suede trimmed pillars, headliners and parcel shelf.

Details and accents are picked out with a distinctive red high shine leather on the seats and dark gunmetal finish and satin chrome on the consoles and doors.

Front seats are adjustable fore and aft to allow easy access to the rear, with four-point race harness restraints for all seating positions.

Under the bonnet is just as forward looking, with a 6.0 litre V8 engine incorporating the latest technologies such as active fuel management and calibrated for E85 ethanol fuel.

Even the paint is a one-off. Called 'Diamond Silver' by Holden designers, it gives a liquid aluminium finish that almost slides off the bodywork.

GM Holden Chairman and Managing Director Mark Reuss said, "Coupe 60 is Holden's 60th anniversary gift to its fans worldwide.

"It highlights Holden's heritage of rear wheel drive performance whilst looking ahead to the potential offered by new technologies and materials.

"This is a vehicle I know our designers would dearly love to see go into production, but for the moment it has to remain a concept only," he said.

Project Designer Manager, Peter Hughes, said, "We were looking to mark the diamond anniversary with a car that captured the Holden DNA and took the current VE range to an exciting next step.

"Even in the early stages of VE development, we knew there was a sensational coupe waiting to get out and the 60 th anniversary has given us the chance to explore that.

"With Coupe 60 we think we have designed a car that has the potential to write another chapter in the book of Holden icons."

Holden Coupe 60 – Specifications and Features:

Main Features
  • Pillarless coupe body;
  • Derived from flexible GRWD platform;
  • VE sedan wheelbase.
Powertrain
  • 6.0L V8 with Active Fuel Management, calibrated for E85 Ethanol fuel;
  • 6-speed manual transmission (SS specification);
  • Engine oil cooler.
Exterior
  • Unique "Diamond Silver" paint colour;
  • Electrically dropping front & rear side windows;
  • Racing-derived aerodynamic down-force enhancements:
  • Rear under-body air diffuser;
  • Full flat under body;
  • Functional rear deck-lid spoiler;
  • 21-inch centre-lock alloy wheels;
  • Unique design Kumho high-performance semi-slick tyres;
  • High-performance Brembo brake hardware with ducted air cooling for front callipers;
  • Side-exiting chambered exhaust system with billet alloy tips;
  • Unique design LED tail lamps;
  • Exterior mirrors with integral LED side markers.
Interior
  • V8-Supercar inspired cockpit layout for enhanced driver visibility and spaciousness;
  • LCD sports instrument cluster located in a unique column-mounted binnacle;
  • One-piece carbon fiber bucket seats, featuring unique suede-pad design and distinctive red high shine leather accents;
  • Front seats are adjustable fore-aft and allow easy access to rear;
  • Four-point race harness restraints for all seating positions;
  • Unique sports-inspired flat-bottom steering wheel with integrated shift light display and suede grips;
  • Unique interior details including air vents, column switches, gear shift knob and pedals.
Interior trim
  • Perforated leather trimmed instrument panel;
  • Black suede trimmed pillars, headliner and parcel shelf;
  • High gloss carbon fiber used as a structural material for seats, doors and rear trim provides contrast to leather and suede trim;
  • Details and accents are picked out with red high shine leather, a dark gunmetal finish and satin chrome.

coupe6001l700lh6.th.jpgcoupe6002l700yh7.th.jpgcoupe6003l700wy6.th.jpg coupe6004l700qj7.th.jpgcoupe6005l700yp1.th.jpgcoupe6006l700ge0.th.jpg
Edited by YellowJacket894

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not very nice to say.

It's not very nice to deny us the cars we WANT.

Build it!

Oh wait, I forgot about 3 letters: GME. Not gonna happen. GME sucks.

+1

--

coupe6004l700qj7.jpg

This car is so damn sexy! a Hardtop too! Please, oh please build it! I'd sacrifice the entire Hummer Brand to have it!l

Edited by Dodgefan

It's not very nice to deny us the cars we WANT.

This car is so damn sexy! a Hardtop too! Please, oh please build it! I'd sacrifice the entire Hummer Brand to have it!l

Agreed...Hummer is pointless poser bling $h!e...this would be fantastic for Pontiac..

What is not to love... what is not to want with this car? It is GM at its pinnacle, something we haven't seen much of in decades. GM Design still has within it a brilliance no other company can duplicate. The CTS in all its iterations, the Malibu, the Enclave, and now this stunning vehicle prove it can be done. Vehicle design can still elicit emotion in people. An instant connection, an enticement to buy that trumps all other criteria. It is not all about fuel economy, Mr. Carl-Peter Forster, or FWD deadness. This car and others like it is the Way to Salvation, because even for people who don't buy it (and there would be plenty who will, bet on it), millions more will admire it as a GM product and be more apt to look closer at the myriad GM products.

This car must be built, and it must come here as a Pontiac. Combine Saturn with Opel if you please. Sell a Daewoo here as a Chevrolet Aveo if you must, but DO NOT apply a double standard against cooperation between Pontiac and Holden for some stupid, murky, personal reasons that are counterproductive to GM's health, both here and abroad.

What is not to love... what is not to want with this car? It is GM at its pinnacle, something we haven't seen much of in decades. GM Design still has within it a brilliance no other company can duplicate. The CTS in all its iterations, the Malibu, the Enclave, and now this stunning vehicle prove it can be done. Vehicle design can still elicit emotion in people. An instant connection, an enticement to buy that trumps all other criteria. It is not all about fuel economy, Mr. Carl-Peter Forster, or FWD deadness. This car and others like it is the Way to Salvation, because even for people who don't buy it (and there would be plenty who will, bet on it), millions more will admire it as a GM product and be more apt to look closer at the myriad GM products.

This car must be built, and it must come here as a Pontiac. Combine Saturn with Opel if you please. Sell a Daewoo here as a Chevrolet Aveo if you must, but DO NOT apply a double standard against cooperation between Pontiac and Holden for some stupid, murky, personal reasons that are counterproductive to GM's health, both here and abroad.

:yes:

I love this car, there's not a single it doesn't look amazing from. I would buy this over a Challenger or a Charger, and as a Mopar fan, that's saying a LOT. I would even take this over the Camaro (blasphemy?!).

I like it so much I put it in my sig, the only thing I chopped was the color, because it's about as close to perfect as I've seen.

Well they said no Holden Coupe or GTO. Could they have changed their mind? Or was it one of the famed Holds.

This looks like the concept drwings we saw of the GTO a few years ago but as normal they always look better in sheetmetal.

Either way 5-8 years of this car here as a Pontiac wouldf be fine and then replace it with a smaller lighter Alpha.

I do ponder it is a hard top so I wonder how much more this will cost over the Camaro it brought here.

Without an export program it's unlikely this will get off the ground. Holden only sold a couple hundred of the previous Monaro a month (people preferred the much smaller and almost as expensive Astra Cabrio). It also seems unlike the aborted Zeta Monaro, which was described to me by Mooney as less of a true 4-seater, and more of an occasional 2+2 with a much longer hood, as previous buyers indicated no real use for the rear seats.

GM, if you bring this here as a GTO; it'll sell like crazy! I'll buy one!

F*ck GME... They can't even run their 3 "global brands" successfully... Much less GMNA.

The tail doesn't need to wag the dog.

As far as CAFE... Sell 10,000 of them a year and call it a day.

And no, I don't want an Alpha version with some piece of crap 4 cylinder... Use lighter materials in the Zeta volume models and you'll be fine

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Use lighter materials in the Zeta volume models and you'll be fine

Exactly what I've been thinking more or less. The curb weight of Zeta could be scaled back a few hundred pounds by using lighter weight materials for the hood, roof panel, trunk lid, and in suspension components. It most certainly wouldn't hurt GM to rip a page out of the text book Mazda used with the Miata (the "gram strategy"), except they need to apply to not only smaller cars, but larger ones as well.

And there is a market for this car. GM need not make the mistake of letting inferior internal sources suggest otherwise. That would be ignorant. It most certainly would sell in Australia and the United States and in China, as well, as a Buick.

and the forces against this car

-renegade states that enact legislation above and beyond national standards

-media which convinces the public that only toyota is a good car and flood the market with soulless asian cars

-dealers who would gouge at the first opportunity

-a national witch hunt, no, make that global, against cars like this in general

compare this car to the pansy accord coupe. for about the same price. yummy i like this car.

Edited by regfootball

There is a set of photographs apparently taken with a telephoto lens, showing this car as a proposed Pontiac GTO with a full-width split Pontiac grille over at Motor Trend magazine's website. According to the site, they were taken a couple of years ago and used as a basis for some renderings some of us may have seen back then, published in the magazine. The car looks great in the pictures. The full-width grille looks great. I only wish the photos were bigger.

There is a set of photographs apparently taken with a telephoto lens, showing this car as a proposed Pontiac GTO with a full-width split Pontiac grille over at Motor Trend magazine's website. According to the site, they were taken a couple of years ago and used as a basis for some renderings some of us may have seen back then, published in the magazine. The car looks great in the pictures. The full-width grille looks great. I only wish the photos were bigger.

The GTO proposal Mr. Blu is referencing is right here.

Personally, I love that front end. It's quite nice.

No B-pillar!

So that begs a question- would it pass US crash regimens w/o adding lots of reinforcment weight? The Camaro and Challenger added the B pillar likley for cost resons, and perhaps to prevent added weight.

How this car fits with the C02 issues and regs that Lutz is freaked about, I just don't know. I say being it here (B pillered if they have to even) as a lower production G8C!

Edited by ketch

If they decide to build this car, then they must give Pontiac a version of it. This is the perfect Zeta based coupe product to redefine and revitalize the Pontiac division. GM could sell it as the new Monaro for Holden, the G7 (or G8) coupe for Pontiac, and the Chevrolet Lumina coupe for the Middle Eastern markets. I say scrap the plans to bring the Holden Ute over to the U.S. as a Pontiac (or reassign it to its rightful place in Chevy's lineup) and use the resources to get this beautiful product to market and in Pontiac's lineup.

That is absolutely beautiful. It would fit in perfectly with the G8. If they would bring that over as a Pontiac coupe and then wake up for the G8 wagon. Pontiac could have a excellent lineup.

G8 Sedan

G8 ST

G8 Sport Wagon

G8 Couple (this)-dump the big engine in it and you possibly have a new GTO

Solstice

Not sure if the G6 would fit in anymore, and leave the CUVs to GMC and Buick.

This is the same shape as the old Manaro/GTO and the front is identical to the G8/Commodore. There is nothing exciting about this car, it's an old design. The GTO tanked because it looked too bland and there aren't a lot of people that will spend $35,000 on a "damaged brand" Pontiac. This is the same formula they used on a car that bombed (but with 40 less hp), if they bring this to the USA, it will bomb like the GTO did.

Why on earth would anyone but this over a less expensive, better looking, more positive imaged Camaro?

The perfect car for Pontiac right now, a coupe that could run with the Germans. GM please build this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it would run with the Audi TT and Mercedes CLK350, in a straight line at least, perhaps corners also. G37 coupe and 335i are another story.

Yes it would run with the Audi TT and Mercedes CLK350, in a straight line at least, perhaps corners also. G37 coupe and 335i are another story.

This car is not the size of a G37 or 335i, so why are you comparing it to them? It would be able to run with a 6er just fine, which is of a similar size.

This car is not the size of a G37 or 335i, so why are you comparing it to them? It would be able to run with a 6er just fine, which is of a similar size.

Someone said it could run with the Germans, I named 2 in that price range it could run with and 2 it couldn't. The 650i is $72,000, Cadillac isn't even in that league, let alone Pontiac. In a straight line the V8 version could match it, although by the time this hits US shores, the 650i will have another 50 hp and 90 lb-ft of torque. GM will never, ever beat the Germans with pushrods and large heavy cars. Maybe that is why GM is trying to buy engines from BMW.

Edited by smk4565

This is the same shape as the old Manaro/GTO and the front is identical to the G8/Commodore. There is nothing exciting about this car, it's an old design. The GTO tanked because it looked too bland and there aren't a lot of people that will spend $35,000 on a "damaged brand" Pontiac. This is the same formula they used on a car that bombed (but with 40 less hp), if they bring this to the USA, it will bomb like the GTO did.

Why on earth would anyone but this over a less expensive, better looking, more positive imaged Camaro?

Someone said it could run with the Germans, I named 2 in that price range it could run with and 2 it couldn't. The 650i is $72,000, Cadillac isn't even in that league, let alone Pontiac. In a straight line the V8 version could match it, although by the time this hits US shores, the 650i will have another 50 hp and 90 lb-ft of torque. GM will never, ever beat the Germans wit pushrods and large heavy cars. Maybe that is why GM is trying to buy engines from BMW.

I'm sorry but please shut the hell up. You come in here and do nothing but ruin a good thread. If you had any sense of style and half a brain you would see that it is anything but bland and looks nothing like the last gen Monaro. It does look like a 2-door G8/Commodore, but just because it doesn't look ugly (G6, 5-Series) does not make it boring or a bad design. I'm so sick and tired of the pointless, factless bull$h! you spew out. You can't even make a valid comparison. Just shut up and find another thread to annoy people in, and leave us to enjoy that which will probably never see the light of day while we can.

:censored:

Edited by Dodgefan

I'm sorry but please shut the hell up. You come in here and do nothing but ruin a good thread. If you had any sense of style and half a brain you would see that it is anything but bland and looks nothing like the last gen Monaro. It does look like a 2-door G8/Commodore, but just because it doesn't look ugly (G6, 5-Series) does not make it boring or a bad design. I'm so sick and tired of the pointless, factless bull$h! you spew out. You can't even make a valid comparison. Just shut up and find another thread to annoy people in, and leave us to enjoy that which will probably never see the light of day while we can.

:censored:

Are you Ok, Dodgefan?

It's like sitting in a restaurant and getting served $h!, while others get caviar. It certainly doesn't induce feelings of loyalty to a company that would rub salt in the wounds of the very people most likely to give them their money.

Someone said it could run with the Germans, I named 2 in that price range it could run with and 2 it couldn't. The 650i is $72,000, Cadillac isn't even in that league, let alone Pontiac. In a straight line the V8 version could match it, although by the time this hits US shores, the 650i will have another 50 hp and 90 lb-ft of torque. GM will never, ever beat the Germans with pushrods and large heavy cars. Maybe that is why GM is trying to buy engines from BMW.

Actually, you named 1 German car it couldn't run with. G37 is Japanese.

The CTS-V has a pushrod and is heavy. It will beat the Germans. Sorry, you're wrong.

As for looks, I have the profile view as my wallpaper, and my 15-year old borther got on the computer and asked if it was a BMW and said it looked sweet.

I know the G37 is Japanese, I meant 2 German cars that it was faster than and 2 cars in that price range that were faster, but I didn't state it clearly.

The CTS-V might take an M5 in a straight line, but I'd like to see CTS-V lap times on the Nurburgring. The next M5 could have as much as 600-650 hp and they are going to use carbon fiber to keep it to 4000 pounds, a 4300 lb, 550 hp CTS-V can't match that. Take the limiter off the current M5 and it does 205 mph, that is fast.

The Audi RS6 has 580 hp, but the Audi is ridiculously heavy as well, and even with all that power, still isn't better than the M5.

I know the G37 is Japanese, I meant 2 German cars that it was faster than and 2 cars in that price range that were faster, but I didn't state it clearly.

The CTS-V might take an M5 in a straight line, but I'd like to see CTS-V lap times on the Nurburgring. The next M5 could have as much as 600-650 hp and they are going to use carbon fiber to keep it to 4000 pounds, a 4300 lb, 550 hp CTS-V can't match that. Take the limiter off the current M5 and it does 205 mph, that is fast.

The Audi RS6 has 580 hp, but the Audi is ridiculously heavy as well, and even with all that power, still isn't better than the M5.

2 cars in that price range? The G8 coupe is ~$30k, the 335i bases for $41k. Not exactly the same price. The G8 coupe would destroy the 328i.

GM can give the CTS-V 650HP if it wants to and add carbon fiber to cut weight as well. The M5 isn't something that GM can't match with the CTS-V. For $30k less the CTS-V will be an amazing vehicle. It will beat the current M5 most likely.

GM can beat the Germans if it wants to, but not for $30k less.

Then why doesn't GM beat the Germans? Why isn't there a midsized Cadillac sedan built on an aluminum frame with a more refined V6 than they have now, a DOHC V8, and a DOHC 550 hp engine and carbon fiber for the V-series. Why isn't there a Cadillac that gets 30 mpg, or 22 mpg even, or an S-class style car. With the biggest auto maker in the world behind them, Cadillac has aging models and rebadges and 1 good car in their lineup. They should do better than that.

The G8 and coupe version if they make it should be compared to the Mustang, 350Z, Charger, 300C, Hyundai Genesis. Pontiac's image is no better than Hyundai or Dodge or Ford, that is their competition.

Audi just released the Q7 V12 diesel with 758 lb-ft of torque, 0-60 in 5.5 seconds and gets 20 mpg (a CTS is 20 mpg and half the cylinders!). I know the Audi will cost a ton, but why can't GM make something like that, or at least diesel V8 products that are powerful, fast and get over 20 mpg.

If the Enclave, CTS, Malibu, Acadia, G8 are the best GM can do they are in trouble, those vehicles are not better than a CX-9 or Accord or BMW 3 or 5, G35/G37. The GM products are good, top 3 in their class, but not benchmark products. And to engineer those 5 good products, the let vehicles like the G-body,W-body cars and GMT360s get grossly outdated, and they ignore premium small cars (not even anything like a Golf or Jetta) and they don't make a minivan. I don't want them to make 75 models, but when you have a dozen 200+ inch long SUVs and no minivan and no small premium car something is wrong.

Edited by smk4565

HA, that wonderful aluminum front structure in the 5-series cannot be repaired in a fairly moderate accident... insurance companies have been pissed they had to total so many 5-series cars because of this. Give me a steel understructure any day.

Do you plan on crashing your car after purchasing it? Personally, crash test ratings or how expensive the car is to fix are very low on my priority list. I care about interior, how the car drives, styling, etc. The stuff you use every day. Light, nimble cars stop faster and can avoid accidents better than big, heavy vehicles.

Do you plan on crashing your car after purchasing it? Personally, crash test ratings or how expensive the car is to fix are very low on my priority list. I care about interior, how the car drives, styling, etc. The stuff you use every day. Light, nimble cars stop faster and can avoid accidents better than big, heavy vehicles.

You should trade your big, heavy Olds Aurora for a light, nimble Honda Fit. It'll be a perfect fit then.

Then why doesn't GM beat the Germans? Why isn't there a midsized Cadillac sedan built on an aluminum frame with a more refined V6 than they have now, a DOHC V8, and a DOHC 550 hp engine and carbon fiber for the V-series. Why isn't there a Cadillac that gets 30 mpg, or 22 mpg even, or an S-class style car. With the biggest auto maker in the world behind them, Cadillac has aging models and rebadges and 1 good car in their lineup. They should do better than that.

The new M5 isn't here yet, so GM is beating them currently. See what GM answers with, if they do, before saying that they don't beat them. Is the M5 you talk of a 2009 or 2010 model? If it's a 2010, the 2009 CTS-V will beat the 2009 M5. The 2010 M5 will then probably beat a 2010 CTS-V. The 2011 CTS-V could have the Blue Devil engine and carbon fiber for you to gush over and beat the 2011 M5. Wait and see before you assume.

The diesel CTS will get 30MPG. Happy now?

The G8 and coupe version if they make it should be compared to the Mustang, 350Z, Charger, 300C, Hyundai Genesis. Pontiac's image is no better than Hyundai or Dodge or Ford, that is their competition.

Umm, so then why are you comparing it to the 335i and G37?

Audi just released the Q7 V12 diesel with 758 lb-ft of torque, 0-60 in 5.5 seconds and gets 20 mpg (a CTS is 20 mpg and half the cylinders!). I know the Audi will cost a ton, but why can't GM make something like that, or at least diesel V8 products that are powerful, fast and get over 20 mpg.

You conveniently forgot the Escalade Hybrid. Nice job.

If the Enclave, CTS, Malibu, Acadia, G8 are the best GM can do they are in trouble, those vehicles are not better than a CX-9 or Accord or BMW 3 or 5, G35/G37. The GM products are good, top 3 in their class, but not benchmark products. And to engineer those 5 good products, the let vehicles like the G-body,W-body cars and GMT360s get grossly outdated, and they ignore premium small cars (not even anything like a Golf or Jetta) and they don't make a minivan. I don't want them to make 75 models, but when you have a dozen 200+ inch long SUVs and no minivan and no small premium car something is wrong.

CX-9 is not better than the Lambdas unless you want something that's more fun to drive. Lambdas have better interiors and someone who's not less than 6 years old can fit in the 3rd row comfortably. I'll let sales results speak for themselves, as well. CTS is on C&D's 10Best list. Guess which cars are not? BMW 5 or G35/G37. Accord and Malibu both made the 10Best, I'd say they're pretty comparable. The Accord may have won their review, but somehow the Malibu didn't outscore it in exterior styling, which is BS, and when you discount the two categories that are either dumb (gotta-have it) and repetitive (fun-to-drive, which would be a combination of acceleration and handling, which are already taken into account), the Malibu only loses by 7 points, and again somehow doesn't beat the Accord in the exterior styling category. Not very many when both score over 200 points. As for the G8, what car beats it in the class? BMW 5? Ok, keep comparing cars that aren't even close in price range and bitch that the cheaper one isn't as good. Makes perfect sense.

Premium small cars? You forgot the Astra.

GM has decided to move into the exploding crossover segment rather than the shrinking minivan market. Seems like a good move to me.

You should trade your big, heavy Olds Aurora for a light, nimble Honda Fit. It'll be a perfect fit then.

My car is 3880 pounds, which is rather heavy, but it's still less than a G8/Holden. I do wish the Aurora was not as big and heavy as it is, handling would be much better, although front drive limits it also. I had a 4-cylinder before, I won't buy another, even the turbo ones that make power are uneven. 250 hp from a V8 is rather sad by today's standards, but that engine is still really smooth and never whines or vibrates.