BMW may sell engines and transmissions to GM and Fiat

uh, the s/c 4.4 gets 14 / 21 mpg in the 760i with RWD..... the Escalade gets 12 / 18 mpg with AWD.

aerodynamics alone is going to cost you 2mpg.

The 760i is a V12, the 750i is a 4.8 liter V8. But that is also a 6 speed, and the 4.8 I don't think is direct injection, it is just double vanos VVT. The 4.4 is direct injection and more efficient than the 4.8, plus has 8 gears.

The BMW 4.4 liter may not improve acceleration or fuel economy in the Escalade, but I think it is worth doing a test mule to find out, I think both would improve.

But why should the Escalade be the halo vehicle for Cadillac? If Cadillac is a global brand, the icon shouldn't be a huge SUV, especially with gas prices rising around the world and here. Cadillac needs a car as it's icon.

Edited by smk4565

The 760i is a V12, the 750i is a 4.8 liter V8. But that is also a 6 speed, and the 4.8 I don't think is direct injection, it is just double vanos VVT. The 4.4 is direct injection and more efficient than the 4.8, plus has 8 gears.

The BMW 4.4 liter may not improve acceleration or fuel economy in the Escalade, but I think it is worth doing a test mule to find out, I think both would improve.

But why should the Escalade be the halo vehicle for Cadillac? If Cadillac is a global brand, the icon shouldn't be a huge SUV, especially with gas prices rising around the world and here. Cadillac needs a car as it's icon.

Who said there can be only one halo car? BMW has 3.

Cadillac has one halo vehicle now..the XLR.

That's part of the problem.

What part of Cadillac's history had a 2 seat sportscar as a true flagship? (please don't say "allante")

That's why the Sixteen would have been an interesting project, IMO.

Big, crazy looking sedans are Caddy signatures.

Edited by enzl

How many did they sell last year? And why is the XLR do 0-60 in barely under 6 seconds, it is an $80k sports car. For $80k you should be able to outrun a Mustang GT. $100k for the XLR-V is crazy too, since it is about as fast as a 135i or 335i, and the XLR interior is nothing to write home about. I love the exterior look of the XLR, although the grille is dated looking now, but no one buys it, and the resale value is bad.

Car and Driver reported last month that the XLR was dying after the 09 model year. That leaves them with a fancy Tahoe or the entry level CTS as their halo. Mercedes has Maybach, S-class SL-class and the SLR McLaren. Those are halo products.

Edited by smk4565

That's why the Sixteen would have been an interesting project, IMO.

That's why I think....cost-be-damned....they should have done the Sixteen.....or something close to it......even style-wise without the big engine......but as usual, GM pussys out....

The obvious avenues to world-recognition and admiration are all but abandoned by this adrogenous band of Detroit executives that REFUSE to see the BIG picture......

That's why I think....cost-be-damned....they should have done the Sixteen.....or something close to it......even style-wise without the big engine......but as usual, GM pussys out....

The obvious avenues to world-recognition and admiration are all but abandoned by this adrogenous band of Detroit executives that REFUSE to see the BIG picture......

:yes:

I think this is probably more indirect . I dont think youll see directly transplanted BMW engines in a GM car or the current SMG trans . I think GM probably likes what BMW is doing with their V6 and new 5 series V8 turbo systems and they want spread some develpment costs and technology on their own clutchless manual .

It would be suicide to just plop a beamer engine in a Cadillac , pretty sure GM gets that too .

I don't remember where I heard this, it might have been Autoline Detroit, but GM actually sells their transmissions to BMW and not the other way around. Maybe someone can do some research on this.

Yeah....we hashed that out already......

They sold them the older 5-speed autos......most of the 6-speeds that BMW uses now are ZF units. But someone on here said that some 3- and 5-series cars (the 3.0L versions, not the 3.0L twin-turbos) still use a GM 6-speed auto.....but I'm not sure that's the case......

That's hard info to find to collaborate....

Yeah....we hashed that out already......

They sold them the older 5-speed autos......most of the 6-speeds that BMW uses now are ZF units. But someone on here said that some 3- and 5-series cars (the 3.0L versions, not the 3.0L twin-turbos) still use a GM 6-speed auto.....but I'm not sure that's the case......

That's hard info to find to collaborate....

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?mode...hg=24&fg=05 (GM 6L45)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?mode...hg=24&fg=05 (ZF 6HP19)

Also, peer into the Monroney of a 328iA and you'll see Transmission COO: Strasbourg, France.