Some late '08 changes for Malibu...4-cyl LTZ package, some wheels

Looks like the 4-cyl/6-speed LTZ is finally available, and there's some wheel changes. The new:

(PDZ) 4-Cylinder Spring Package, includes (LE5) ECOTEC 2.4L engine, (MH8) 6-speed automatic transmission, Electric Power Steering (EPS) assist, chrome exhaust tip, (PA2) 17" (43.2 cm) Chrome-Tech bright aluminum wheels and (QAD) P225/50R17 touring, blackwall tires.

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/...236&type=0#

So, oddly, looks like the LTZ-4 will get it's own 17" (smaller) Chrome-Tech wheels, but otherwise be the same.

Also, for 1LT's that have had the chrome face covers, seems like there's now some choice (maybe), as Chrome-Tech wheels are listed separately (but no cost) in the options lists.

Looks like the 4-cyl/6-speed LTZ is finally available, and there's some wheel changes. The new:

(PDZ) 4-Cylinder Spring Package, includes (LE5) ECOTEC 2.4L engine, (MH8) 6-speed automatic transmission, Electric Power Steering (EPS) assist, chrome exhaust tip, (PA2) 17" (43.2 cm) Chrome-Tech bright aluminum wheels and (QAD) P225/50R17 touring, blackwall tires.

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/...236&type=0#

So, oddly, looks like the LTZ-4 will get it's own 17" (smaller) Chrome-Tech wheels, but otherwise be the same.

Also, for 1LT's that have had the chrome face covers, seems like there's now some choice (maybe), as Chrome-Tech wheels are listed separately (but no cost) in the options lists.

Good news... the early 1LT press cars had painted silver fascia spokes, and I greatly prefer them to the mandatory plastic chromies.

08malibu1208.jpg

I wonder what the LTZ I4's Chrome-Tech alloys look like..

Edit: Actually I think the 1LT's are still only available in chrome; it's the LS fleet HVV6 engine package that gets the silver-painted equivalent.

Looks like the manumatic control stays on the four-cylinder/six-speed, which is good news.

Edited by empowah

I wonder what the LTZ I4's Chrome-Tech alloys look like..

Edit: Actually I think the 1LT's are still only available in chrome; it's the LS fleet HVV6 engine package that gets the silver-painted equivalent.

Looks like the manumatic control stays on the four-cylinder/six-speed, which is good news.

Bingo...basically just a re-editing of the order guide, to specifically spell out chrome vs. silver for those wheels (retail vs. fleet).

Not sure what the new Chrome-Tech LTZ (i.e. chrome face) wheels look like. They should have just stayed with the same LTZ V6 wheels, but maybe it helps lower the price a little.

Curious to drive a 2.4L/6-speed model, now that we've had a 2.4L/4-speed 2LT for 2 months...

Had it been out, we probably would have bought an LTZ-4 instead, because of the full leather and 6-speed, but then again, didn't overly like the 2 interior choices, etc. in comparison to what we got with the 2LT.

Egads GM is so behind-the-times with this "chrome-wheel" thing.

Chrome wheels (plastic or otherwise) are pretty much "out" now.....at least here....unless you are talking big SUVs and stuff with 22-inch tires.....but on your basic cars, nope.

Funny you mention this, I was just recently thinking the same. Everyone has either painted or polished (anyone doing clear-coated machined these days). Chrome is definitely "out."

Agreed on the chrome...but it's not really a part of the changes here. Just the titling of chrome wheels, but the availability is the same.

That said, I still think the typical 1LT with the standard chrome faced wheels is quite a stunner...and the wheels make a big difference. Or at least it stands out more--but is still in character of the car--than the typical ugly silver hubcaps on a Camry or Accord of similar trim.

Image00002.jpg

But, regardless, doesn't matter because that hasn't changed. I just wonder what the new 17" chromies for the LTZ-4 are...and why they're any different than the 18's on the LTZ-6.

Edited by caddycruiser

Funny you mention this, I was just recently thinking the same. Everyone has either painted or polished (anyone doing clear-coated machined these days). Chrome is definitely "out."

I'm likin' more-and-more the charcoal aluminum wheels you see now, like what are available on the Corvette, and the Audi A4 with "Titanium" package. On the Audi, it works even better 'cause the chrome around the windows, on the back bumper, and the entire front end/grille is blacked out too......so the car is black, black, black, with charcoal wheels....looks good....

Agreed on the chrome...but it's not really a part of the changes here. Just the titling of chrome wheels, but the availability is the same.

That said, I still think the typical 1LT with the standard chrome faced wheels is quite a stunner...and the wheels make a big difference. Or at least it stands out more--but is still in character of the car--than the typical ugly silver hubcaps on a Camry or Accord of similar trim.

Image00002.jpg

But, regardless, doesn't matter because that hasn't changed. I just wonder what the new 17" chromies for the LTZ-4 are...and why they're any different than the 18's on the LTZ-6.

Agreed... the 17" fascia spokes, chrome or not, are definitely nicer than the 16" caps on the Camry or Accord.

Do you know what color is on that 1LT, btw? It looks good.. better than geriatric sandstone.

edit - looks like "amber bronze"

Edited by empowah

Image00002.jpg

caddy, that was the combo i admired on the lot yesterday. the LT with those wheels. REALLY nice. even like the gray interior and normally i hate gray.

malibu really is a dapper car. still 2" or more too narrow, but man, its priddy. really makes the cahmree look like a mutt. new accord too. saw an 07 accord today with the enterprise sticker on it! is honda fleeting now too?????

Edited by regfootball

caddy, that was the combo i admired on the lot yesterday. the LT with those wheels. REALLY nice. even like the gray interior and normally i hate gray.

malibu really is a dapper car. still 2" or more too narrow, but man, its priddy. really makes the cahmree look like a mutt. new accord too. saw an 07 accord today with the enterprise sticker on it! is honda fleeting now too?????

I saw an Accord EX V6 Coupe today, and it looked pretty sweet.

I like this car a lot. This is my first non-Buick I'd consider buying (that I could potentially afford).

I'm interested to see if the 6-speed improves the fuel economy any bit. Will it be thrown in the hybrid too?

I think chrome wheels are nice on some applications and I don't really see why we should limit choice.

Of course, I'm used to the chrome/polished aluminum wheels of classics too.

I LOVE anything machine faced or machined... So much so that I sold my painted wheels on my Focus (The 6 spokes) and replaced them with the same six spoke wheels, except the machined versions from one of the special edition cars.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I'm likin' more-and-more the charcoal aluminum wheels you see now, like what are available on the Corvette, and the Audi A4 with "Titanium" package. On the Audi, it works even better 'cause the chrome around the windows, on the back bumper, and the entire front end/grille is blacked out too......so the car is black, black, black, with charcoal wheels....looks good....

Good call! I remember digging that finish when they started using it for the last generation (C5?) Z06.

Good call! I remember digging that finish when they started using it for the last generation (C5?) Z06.

Yeah....me too....

In general, I'm not saying it's bad to offer a choice, I think chromes just are beginning to look tacky on a classy, mainstream midsize car like the Malibu. Used to be, you needed shiny chrome wheels to add some "sparkle" to a blandly-designed car.....not so with the Malibu.

I like those charcoal wheels, or any wheel that is machine-finished....like F.O.G said. I generally do not like painted aluminum wheels (like the standard Corvette wheel.)

Any time a styling trend becomes 'maintstream' it is over. Like a designer friend of mine said when we discovered 'stainless steel' appliances at Home Depot, 'when they start selling it, you know the trend is over."

I believe this is why the Marketing 101 boys and girls must be going crazy. There was a time when a mid-size family sedan came with an automatic, power steering and power brakes, maybe two engine choices. Now, if you can get chrome alloys, a nav system, 6 spd. and other 'high-end' toys on a sedan like an Accord or Malibu - why would anyone want to spend DOUBLE for a BMW or Audi? I mean, really - when you think about it, how do you justify the double or triple prices out there? It's not like the additional 'quality' really matters. Most of the posers that buy (actually, lease probably) new BMWs and Audis can't wait to get onto the next Big Thing, so they dump their new toy in a couple years.

Consumers need to start thinking for themselves and not getting sucked into what the marketing gurus are telling them to want.

Any time a styling trend becomes 'maintstream' it is over. Like a designer friend of mine said when we discovered 'stainless steel' appliances at Home Depot, 'when they start selling it, you know the trend is over."

I believe this is why the Marketing 101 boys and girls must be going crazy. There was a time when a mid-size family sedan came with an automatic, power steering and power brakes, maybe two engine choices. Now, if you can get chrome alloys, a nav system, 6 spd. and other 'high-end' toys on a sedan like an Accord or Malibu - why would anyone want to spend DOUBLE for a BMW or Audi? I mean, really - when you think about it, how do you justify the double or triple prices out there? It's not like the additional 'quality' really matters. Most of the posers that buy (actually, lease probably) new BMWs and Audis can't wait to get onto the next Big Thing, so they dump their new toy in a couple years.

Consumers need to start thinking for themselves and not getting sucked into what the marketing gurus are telling them to want.

Malibu/Accord =/= Audi/BMW.

The Malibu and Accord are good mass market appliances, but I wouldn't compare to premium cars from Audi or BMW...

There is nothing wrong with offering chrome wheels as an option. Just because it isn't the latest fad doesn't mean that everybody has to suffer because it isn't the latest "in" thing. It's all about choice. There are traditional buyers that may want the extra flash and elegance that chrome offers and there are those that like the plain generic monotone look that few will notice. The Malibu offers lots of choice. Chrome or plain. Bodyside moldings or no moldings. Many different interior color combinations. 3 different wheel sizes, 2 different engines and now trannys etc. More car companies need ot start offering the consumer more choices like this instead of the same ol crap that has been dished out for the past 10 years or so.

There is nothing wrong with offering chrome wheels as an option. Just because it isn't the latest fad doesn't mean that everybody has to suffer because it isn't the latest "in" thing. It's all about choice. There are traditional buyers that may want the extra flash and elegance that chrome offers and there are those that like the plain generic monotone look that few will notice. The Malibu offers lots of choice. Chrome or plain. Bodyside moldings or no moldings. Many different interior color combinations. 3 different wheel sizes, 2 different engines and now trannys etc. More car companies need ot start offering the consumer more choices like this instead of the same ol crap that has been dished out for the past 10 years or so.

But you have to be careful and not try to offer "all things" to "all people."

Every single option or choice you ad to a particular model increases your build combinations. And anyone on here that has mfr experience in that area will tell you that "build combinations" can be a HUGE cost burden to an auto manufacturer.

So you need to pick your choices you offer to a consumer very carefully. That's why Honda has, effectively, no options on their cars.......just models....DX, LX, EX, EX Nav, EX-L, EX Nav-L. They leave "options" up to dealer-installed accessories.

So....if the trend seems to be moving away from "chrome-ish" wheels, and none of your competitiors are offering them, then ditch 'em. You don't need the additional cost in your product program.

>>"...if the trend seems to be moving away from "chrome-ish" wheels, and none of your competitiors are offering them, then ditch 'em."<<

B-but... if everyone else is offering 'something else', and you then move to offer the same 'something else'... isn't that thing then 'already over' ?? :wacko:

I seldom ever...(OK: never) worry about what others may think is fashionable, I like what I like and everyone else can F-off, IMHO.

My beef is that you don't get the CHOICE to have painted silver wheels on the 1LT (or 2LT, 2LT V6, LTZ, LTZ V6). I don't mind chrome wheels on an Escalade, but the mandatory plastic ones on the 1LT look like trash bin covers, IMO.

Every single option or choice you ad to a particular model increases your build combinations. And anyone on here that has mfr experience in that area will tell you that "build combinations" can be a HUGE cost burden to an auto manufacturer.

So you need to pick your choices you offer to a consumer very carefully. That's why Honda has, effectively, no options on their cars.......just models....DX, LX, EX, EX Nav, EX-L, EX Nav-L. They leave "options" up to dealer-installed accessories.

So....if the trend seems to be moving away from "chrome-ish" wheels, and none of your competitiors are offering them, then ditch 'em. You don't need the additional cost in your product program.

Well, not to mention the nightmare at the dealer level. Back in the days when dealers would stock 400+ vehicles on the lot, making people happy was easy. But now, most dealers have less than a 100 vehicles on the lot (around here anyway) and being all things to all people is impossible. I had a customer yesterday who wants 20" wheels on a Silverado 4X4 crew cab, but doesn't want leather, sunroof, etc. Dealers usually only get the 20" wheels on the LTZ, so I found him 1 non-leather seated LT Silverado in ONTARIO.

People don't understand when they are price shopping to death that there are inherent costs to sending two drivers 200 km to pick up a vehicle, re-PDIing the vehicle, worrying about scratches, dents, etc. That $1,000 gross deal can quickly turn into $500 when all those costs are factored in. So REDUCING customer choice (believe it or not) is actually a good thing. Easier for Honda when they have fewer model choices than we do, but nevertheless it is important. It is easier to blame GM by saying "it isn't available at all" than to say "it isn't available in Ontario."

Another nasty tactic I've seen is a dealer telling a customer that it is 'no problem' at getting a vehicle combination that they know damned well isn't available, getting the deposit and taking the customer out of the market. I know each state and each Province has their own consumer laws, but in Ontario, once you've signed the dotted line, the dealer has 90 days to deliver the vehicle, which is more than enough to factory order the vehicle, but no consolation to someone whose vehicle was just written off and needs a vehicle sooner rather than later.

LTZ with 4 cylinder and 6 speed auto wahoo. I would order one of those or an 2LT with 4 cylinder. If I got a G8 I would do a GT. But in a midsize family car I want the best economy in and really don't need a V6 I'd go with the peppy four. As for the G8 251hp is more than enough but if it comes with a thundering V8 and hardly in difference in economy unlike the Malibu why not?

I wonder how the 4-cylinder will work with the 6-speed automatic? That would be interesting to try. It would certainly one up quite a few competetors.

Egads GM is so behind-the-times with this "chrome-wheel" thing.

Chrome wheels (plastic or otherwise) are pretty much "out" now.....at least here....unless you are talking big SUVs and stuff with 22-inch tires.....but on your basic cars, nope.

Who gives a crap? Pretty soon they'll be back "in". Things go in and out, and jumping the bandwagon just for something that might not be "out" for a year is silly. Even if no one else is offering it, that just means GM is the only ones offering it and it could be a trend setter.

Edited by -Camaro-

Only the LTZ gets the 6-speed...

For the end of the 2008 model year, yes. But for '09 and beyond, ALL of them will have the 6-speed.

LTZ with 4 cylinder and 6 speed auto wahoo. I would order one of those or an 2LT with 4 cylinder. If I got a G8 I would do a GT. But in a midsize family car I want the best economy in and really don't need a V6 I'd go with the peppy four. As for the G8 251hp is more than enough but if it comes with a thundering V8 and hardly in difference in economy unlike the Malibu why not?

Ah, someone else who thinks like I do :AH-HA_wink: Coming from a V8 Suburban, our 2LT 4-cyl is FABULOUS.

I wonder how the 4-cylinder will work with the 6-speed automatic? That would be interesting to try. It would certainly one up quite a few competetors.

Should be very appropriate and actually noticeably improve things. The current 2.4L/4-speed is nothing to snuff at and very responsive all around, but does have a bit of the widely spaced gears vs. makes it rev out more, that hurts mileage a bit--mostly around town. Nothing objectionable, but what we've noticed in 2 months with ours. Then again, the 3.6L/6-speed combo used in various applications is still carped on for being set-up too sluggishly and feels lazy, so it will be interesting to really see what the calibration is like that GM settled on for the 4-cyl.

The 2.4L/6-speed is rated at 1mph higher for both city and highway, which makes sense. The 2.4L has great spunk and refinement...so a more usable gear set should only help things, and the few reviewers that have driven the combo have said the same.

Edited by caddycruiser

For the end of the 2008 model year, yes. But for '09 and beyond, ALL of them will have the 6-speed.

Are you sure? This is good news. Honestly, I'd love an LTZ, but I just have to stay cheap right now. I'm going either for a used Buick or 1LT Malibu if I go for a new car. It's going to end up being the used Buick, I know. :AH-HA_wink:

Are you sure? This is good news. Honestly, I'd love an LTZ, but I just have to stay cheap right now. I'm going either for a used Buick or 1LT Malibu if I go for a new car. It's going to end up being the used Buick, I know. :AH-HA_wink:

Yes, well known and stated from GM, I believe, in various media sources. Basically that the LTZ would get it first to finish out the year...and then everything for '09.

I'm curious to drive one, especially knowing mom's current 4-speed 2LT and enjoying it. Still not an overt fan of the LTZ's interior, so another 2LT (or 1LT) with the 2.4L and 6-speed is still at the top of my new car list in months to come.

• 3 months later...

'09 'bu ordering guide

The 6sp. will be standard on 2LT and LTZ in '09 according to this, optional on 1LT.

Also the Aura gets 6sp. across the board for '09 and loses the 3.5L, but gains an XR 2.4L allowing a loaded out 4cyl. much like the LT2/LTZ Malibu.

Also I believe I saw a 2.4 LTZ at the local Chevy dealer the other day. It was fitted with the 5 spoke rims like the HHR LT has come with.

Edited by fightingbee

Yet another way in which the Japanese manufacturers have dumbed down the automobile to appliance status - I can never forgive them for that.

This is why I order my new cars.

I like those dacsia spoke wheels. I'm not a huge fan of crhome per say, but they look much better than cheesy hub caps. i wonder how much they are and if they would fit on my car? :scratchchin:

I personally like silver painted or ploished wheels, and hyper bkac...but I don't really like black wheels.