G8s are finally shipping to dealers

Most of us couldn't buy one even if we had the money. 30K a year is too few for a country this size starved for V8 power. Why GM is restricting the Astra and G8 doesn't make sense. I do't understand the "shrink the company" mindset. You can't sell something if you don't have something to sell. Why is GM trying to shrink the company? GM should try to boost production of the G8. Are they afraid the UAW will get mad because the car isn't made in America? I wished GM would bring more over.

The coasts get them first.

Crap.

I was afraid of that :(.

Dangblasted.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Yeah, we got problems here in the land of the free" ... Barbara Mandrell ... 'In Times Like These'

• 2 weeks later...

I went over to the dealer and sat in a G8 over noon.

impressions, tasteful, not lavish, think the level of a mazda3 interior, a little nicer, or a mercury milan interior, and of course more spacious...although not 'cavernous' feeling. Gauges and SW are very nice. center stack is a bit dull, but that can be jazzed up in the future. seats were nice, not overly bolstered. The seats did sit a bit lower than i would like but i did not play with any adjustments. back seat is maybe accord sized, its not gigantic and limo like, like the 300. View out the dash is very panoramic. Definitely doesn't give a clue to which wheels are driving the car or how long the hood is.

trunk space is deep and fairly wide, but not really all that tall (dang rear drivers). From that standpoint I think its borderline failure in terms of usefulness, even if the 'capacity' is high. The Lincoln LS had the same problem.

Note to GM, that issue is fixed by bringing over the wagon.

The car looks awesome, has the perfect stance and the short front overhang is way sexy. this is a slick looking car!

it has one of those fancy flip out euro key fobs. Don't ever let the wife stab your leg with it in a fight.

to be truthful I like it a lot, the interior is nice although I had expected it to be a tish nicer. The touch points are all good though, the seat, shifter, pedals, SW. I would prefer the cupholders not be back so far on the armrest, but you gotta make room to row your own, you know.

Parked next to other NA GM models, the G8 really stands out as classier. It's styling is not as campy as so many GM cars are. Next to Maxima, it would make the Max look like puke.

I must say, they had some killer looking G6 coupes and convertibles on the lot. Those are sexy cars too. Pontiac needs to update the G6 interior right pronto to keep the car relevant.

Will I get a G8? Hard to say, I gotta drive one, and determine if I am ok with smaller trunk, low seating, lack of fold down front seat / rear seat etc. I wish the stick were out now although apparently its not far away. A DI v6 with stick would be nice.

I wonder if I would like black, red, white or ignition orange. I could enjoy any of those colors I think.

It really comes down to if you want RWD. It's defintely your car if that's your game. The Charger which already looks bad looks even worse after you see the G8. I love the styling and powertrains, but the price may be out of reach for me and I may miss some of the function I have in my car now. But the g8 for the price is really in the upper echelon in terms of classiness of the presentation.

Edited by regfootball

• 2 weeks later...
I got some pics of a white G8 here, nothing fantastic. The red one in the showroom wasn't fantastic either.

I saw the exact same car at the dealership near my parents' house. (Well, not the EXACT same car, but you know what I mean.) That would probably be the only car I'd ever buy in white.

I can see why you're underwhelmed by it, but here's the take I have on it:

Look at what it's replacing.

They didn't let me drive it, unfortunately. :(

Hmph ... you're not the only one.

A friend of mine went to a local dealer to check out the G8 to see if he wants to buy that instead of a BMW. The dealer told him he couldn't drive it unless he was buying that day. I'm not sure he is going to consider the Pontiac anymore.

*shakes head*

I guess maybe I'll wait to even go look at 'em until more get into the dealers. I don't want to drive it ... just see it in person ... but, with reactions like this....aye.

"All my pictures seem to fade to black and white" ... George Michael ... 'Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me'

I'm afraid my response to that dealer would have been more than rude.

What a jackass!

I've been putting off going back to look at the black GT at the local Pontiac store. Perhaps I should go check out their attitude. If they need adjustment, maybe I can help them out. :AH-HA_wink:

I'm afraid my response to that dealer would have been more than rude.

From what he told me, my friend's reaction was. I just can't believe they didn't budge on this. I mean, it's one thing to not want a "tire kicker" to drive it ... THAT I understand. But, to deny a potential buyer? The last I checked, TEST driving a car was one way to sell it ... regardless of whether or not the person is buying THAT VERY DAY.

Sad thing is, he never even got to the price discussion ... didn't feel the need to, obviously. So, I don't know if they were asking above sticker or not. I'd guess they are, given their attitude about driving it.

"Sometimes a cold wind blows a chill in my bones" ... John Denver ... 'Some Days Are Diamonds'

I posted this elsewhere already, but my just-around-the-corner BPG dealership received their first G8 GT Sedan today. They wasted no time in putting a $3,000 "Market Adjustment Price" sticker on it :censored:

I'm so disappointed with Pontiac right now :nono: First they raped customers on the GTO (I know that the '96-'02 WS6 T/As were also casualties too), then the Solstice, and now the G8. Just wait until the Alpha arrives :rolleyes: If Pontiac wants to enhance their image in a positive way, then they need to tell dealers to stick to MSRP and not rape their potential customers. This was another reason I went with the SKY over the Solstice - I didn;t even have to ask the GM at the Saturn dealer whether or not he was placing a MAP on the SKYs... he told me months before ordering began that I' get it at sticker with no hassle. One reason why I like Saturn much more than Pontiac nowadays.

Cort, I feel for your friend. When the GTO's started to arrive on the dealer's lots back in 2004, I thought that the dealer I worked for would at least allow me to take it for a spin around the lot. Not a chance. They did, however, let me start it up to hear the engine running <_<

Cort, I feel for your friend. When the GTO's started to arrive on the dealer's lots back in 2004, I thought that the dealer I worked for would at least allow me to take it for a spin around the lot. Not a chance. They did, however, let me start it up to hear the engine running

Heh ... at least you got INSIDE the car............

*grumbles*

Suppose I should have waited to go see it, but I didn't want to wait. So, this afternoon (Saturday, that is), I was out running errands and decided to stop at a different Pontiac dealer. Big mistake.

Instead of giving the gory details, let me just note that, after my experience, I'm not as excited about the G8 anymore.... Pontiac dealers around here sure seem to be doing their darnest to drive away any type of interest in this car.....

I don't get it....

"All your lies somehow left me blind" ... George Ducas ... 'Lipstick Promises'