The O.C.

4.3L "Baby LT1" V8

I think ya'll are missing ,that GM shaved two cylinders off of an LT1 V8 and made a bonzi 4.3L LT1 V6.Guess who used it......GMC in the CYCLONE and another model.Both models were AWD.They were turboed and well over 400hp with scads of torque.

No. They were not well over 400HP.

And the 4.3L was not based off the LT1. The 4.3L V-6 came out in 1985. The same year as the L98

There was no LT1 in 1985 to base the 4.3L Vortec off of.

I think ya'll are missing ,that GM shaved two cylinders off of an LT1 V8 and made a bonzi 4.3L LT1 V6.Guess who used it......GMC in the CYCLONE and another model.Both models were AWD.They were turboed and well over 400hp with scads of torque.

No. They were not well over 400HP.

And the 4.3L was not based off the LT1. The 4.3L V-6 came out in 1985. The same year as the L98

There was no LT1 in 1985 to base the 4.3L Vortec off of.

The Syclone was rated at 280HP 350 pounds of torque. 

The Typhoon was 280hp 360 pounds of torque.

Yet with aftermarket parts they could go over 800hp.

Guest Travis

I own a 94 caprice classic the 4.3 v8 is very real that's what came in mine factory very reliable motors...and actually have some power for bein so small displacement and a heavy car...

Guest Travis

I run the 4.3 in my 1994 caprice classic sleeper with a mild cam valve springs and stall along with 4.11 rear gears and a custom ecm tune it leaves mustangs at the line wondering how a 4100 pound boat just smoked them. Prefur the torque curve of the 4.3 over the 5.7 it seems too pull threw the high side of gears better

Guest Travisk1987

I own a 94 caprice classic with the 4.3 v8 very reliable mptor & has good power considering the size of car & how small motor is...

Guest Travisk1987@gmail.com

OK....so I'm flipping through some old C&D rags and in the 10-93 issue, highlighting the "1994 New Cars" there was an article in the Technical Highlights section talking about GM's new "baby" LT1 variant....a 4.3L version that would be the base Caprice Classic engine along with the optional 5.7L LT1....

Does anyone remember this engine? I don't even remember it existing.....and surprised we didn't see it in other applications (might it have fit tranversly in a GM-10 of the time??)

Here's how the two engines compared:

4.3L, SFI V8 (5.7L SFI V8)

200 hp (260 hp)

245 lb/ft torque (335 lb/ft torque)

Let me know if you know anything about it...!

i actually have a 1995 caprice classic, and yes it has a 4.3 v8 also knows as "the baby ls1"

OK....so I'm flipping through some old C&D rags and in the 10-93 issue, highlighting the "1994 New Cars" there was an article in the Technical Highlights section talking about GM's new "baby" LT1 variant....a 4.3L version that would be the base Caprice Classic engine along with the optional 5.7L LT1....

Does anyone remember this engine? I don't even remember it existing.....and surprised we didn't see it in other applications (might it have fit tranversly in a GM-10 of the time??)

Here's how the two engines compared:

4.3L, SFI V8 (5.7L SFI V8)

200 hp (260 hp)

245 lb/ft torque (335 lb/ft torque)

Let me know if you know anything about it...!

i actually have a 1995 caprice classic, and yes it has a 4.3 v8 also knows as "the baby ls1"

Yup the family had a couple of these, all retired and long gone but was a solid baby V8

Guest bill

I on one i drive everyday it a good car they also put that motor in fire birds and cameos has good torque and good top end speed

love my caprice its a 1994 model

I on one i drive everyday it a good car they also put that motor in fire birds and cameos has good torque and good top end speed

love my caprice its a 1994 model

The 4.3L L99 was never available in a Camaro or Firebird 

Guest Oltomkat

I actually have one. Put it in my CJ7. It does great.

Guest carguy

It was produced. A friend of mine had one and it was very smooth but not very powerful yet a far better engine then the previous 305CI 5.0L V8 in the Caprice. Like the first SB V8 it was 4.3L's and 265CI!

Guest Christopher Taylor

Is this LT1 being used today? And in which models?

No. This is based on the original reverse flow cooling SB Chevrolet V8. Todays SB V8 is very different. They reuse names every 25 or so years for the performance versions of the SB V8.

It's funny that this thread recently woke up again.

A B-O-P service adviser told me about this engine.  It was in a Chevy they sold on their used car lot and they then had to service it.  He couldn't believe it either.

At any rate, I then became interested in these 4.3 units, seeing how much I liked the Olds spin on their V8 (theirs was a debored Rocket 350 back in the day).  That one was known for its quiet operation and longevity.  So, I found a few on used Caprices of '94 to '96 vintage on used car lots with this engine.  Upon turning the key, this engine has a beautiful purr (nicer than any 5.0 or 5.7 I can remember) but I didn't want to drive it because I knew I wouldn't be buying it.  With a serpentine belt and electric fan(s), this thing set up as RWD is a mechanic's dream.  

I've even talked to a few owners.  They love their Caprices of these years.  One was a Kentuckian who had taken it down to Florida for vacation.  It had about 300,000 original miles on it and he told me he can break past 25 mpg on the open road.

I don't think I'll ever do the second car thing again.  However, if I did, this would be it.  I've looked at EBay and other sites.  It's hard to find one in a nice color, in good shape, with cloth seats (leather has all these cracks after all this time), and reasonable mileage.

I know that their 80's 4.4 displaced 267 cubes.  I think cubic inches had fallen out of favor by the time this engine rolled around.  It would be interesting to know how many c.i.s it displaced.

More info:  L 99 - displaced 263 c.i. - born of the Chevy 5.0 L / 305 c.i. - no change in bore but change in stroke - 200 h.p., even, and very good torque - over 25 mpg on highway EPA rating - only produced for 3 years and for the sedan (not the wagon), so not an omnipresent engine in the Chevrolet stable.  Very interesting, at least to me.

94, 95 and 96 Caprice ONLY. Go to Rockauto.com and look them up, they are there. They are an L99 and they are NOT the same as the MONZA engine. The MONZA had a different bore and stroke. The L99 has a 3 inch stroke, same as the 283 and chevy 302. As a matter of fact, you can take the crank and put it in a 350 block and you'll have a true chevy 302 just like in 1969 except it will have the one piece rear main seal. Just make sure you use the L99 connecting rods with whatever 350 pistons you want. That's all Chevrolet did, they put a 283 crank in a 4 inch bore block and made a 302. A Ford 302 is the same bore and stroke as well. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/1/2018 at 5:27 AM, liketowin77 said:

94, 95 and 96 Caprice ONLY. Go to Rockauto.com and look them up, they are there. They are an L99 and they are NOT the same as the MONZA engine. The MONZA had a different bore and stroke.

Every once in a while, I go onto eBay or craigslist and look for these Caprices ... in base form and with the 4.3 liter V8.  If you think they come by cheaply, they don't.  Far from it.  What you'll see is one that is in dire straits and on its last legs sitting in a corn field in a small town in southern Illinois where there are fewer teeth in the town than there are cubic inches in the engine, and they're asking $795 or less, and it has been sitting there for a long time, looking like the Andrea Doria accumulating plankton.  Then, you'll see one in immaculate condition with 60,000 miles and they want anywhere from $5,500 to $7,000.

Within the past 4 months, I was at a light next to one.  I rolled down the window and so did the passenger.  It was burgundy, had whitewalls, factory spoke wheels, and a burgundy leather interior.  The husband beamed that it had less than 45,000 miles.  I asked which engine it had.  The wife, the passenger, looked at her husband and he said it had a V8.   I knew that.  The light changed, so I couldn't ask more questions nor ask if he'd sell it.  I'm betting it had the 5.7 liter V8.