I test drove a Toyota...

That's it, I'm done...... :AH-HA_wink:

Yep, Actually found a Toyota that I liked....and the wife wants one pretty bad. :thumbsup:

I hear a replacement for the Cavvie Sedan (or the Cobalt, if it doesn't stop pissing me off..) :yes:

I went the the local dealership, and test drove a 2009.......

Vibe

You can stop worrying now.... :lol:

Anyways, this little car surprised me. I wasn't expecting much, as the last gen was so-so. The local dealership got their first 1.8 auto one in....a nice gray....My random comments:

- Holy cow-this thing has a buttload of cuploaders! Add a keg, and you could have a party in there! The usual ones up front, ones that pop out in back, and a few in each car......

-My major issue with the last gen of Vibe was the lack of pep/ trans that you could push the car before the damn thing would shift. The 1.8 actually has some pep-almost as much as my Ecotecs....and the shifting is MUCH better....it is actually fun and easier to move this thing in and out of traffic.....

- Better handling....kinda sporty. It's almost Neon-ish, as it handles corners pretty good. It's a good thing the dealership didn't see me take this Vibe around a corner at 30mph....no stopping needed. :)

-a few extra cubbies the last Vibe didn't have...extra spot in the glovebox, for example....

The new Vibe reminds me a lot of the Mazda 3...which is was the look I think GM was going for. Overall, I was surprised, even a little impressed.

After driving the 1.8, now I want to drive the 2.4 to see how peppy in is-not to mention a 5 speed auto should be nice.....

Yeah, Yeah, I know. It's part Toyota.

But, the profit goes in GM's pocket, which I have no problem doing..... 8)

*grabs flame suit just in case*

*grabs flamethrower*

*darn, it petered out*

While I prefer the HHR if you're going for a fun small family car, the new Vibe is pretty nice, too. Let us know how it works out.

Yeah, the one killer thing that she doesn't like is the way the windows sit lower on the HHR, she feels she can't see out the back very well....

I liked the HHR though. :)

Yeah, but that was the matrix....

The interiors are identical. I don't like the new Vibe at all...it's uglier than the last one and the dash design is blobs of shapeless plastic. Kinda like the old Pontiacs...were they aiming for nostalgia?

How about a HHR? A Caliber?

My family is car shopping. I am putting my youngest sister into a new Cobalt as I type this. My mother plans to trade in her Grand Caravan over the summer. She likes the Vibe, but I think it is too smal and gutless for her. I am going to get her to look at the HHR and the Journey.

My family is car shopping. I am putting my youngest sister into a new Cobalt as I type this. My mother plans to trade in her Grand Caravan over the summer. She likes the Vibe, but I think it is too smal and gutless for her. I am going to get her to look at the HHR and the Journey.

Isn't the HHR about the same size as teh Vibe? What about the Journey or the Vue?

Ah, re-read my post: I recommended the Journey to her. The space in the back of the HHR, especially with the completely flat folded seats is quite a bit bigger than the Vibe. I looked at the Vibe and HHR for myself last year. When you are looking to put a large dog in the back, the Vibe would be tight, but it's also the generally anemic Toyota motor that puts me off. My mother is not Maria Andretti, but she has had the 3.8 for quite a while (her last car was a '96 Cutlass RWD). Even though she is only packing for one now for her bi-annual treks between the Great White North and Florida, I can't see her squeezing her computer, dog and all her seasonal crap into a Vibe - and being happy about its hill climbing abilities in the Tennessee mountains.

I don't think she will like the look of the HHR, but being a Chevy guy, I have to at least present it. :smilewide:

I also added the Uplander to the list, because around here the SWB is cheaper than a base LS HHR and you get OnStar, 17" wheels, ABS, a V-6 and a lot more space for less money. She may not want the Uplander because it isn't much smaller than her current '03 Grand Caravan.

Wow... sad. Even a Vibe is still a T666yota.

The last Toyota that ever caught my interest was the 90s MR2s. I still like them.

my bro has one, very fun, but also way too noisy at highway speeds.

the vibe does look ok for a reskinned T

MR2s are from a different Era, way cooler than any of today's Toyopets.

But that's not saying much.

At least a small chunk of the profit fro the Vibe goes to GM/Pontiac.

i was at the auto show today and had the pleasure of checking out the 09 vibe, the HHR and HHR SS and the Dodge Journey.

the Vibe is a reskin, but its ok. The interior is kind of cheap, but ok for an econocar. I can't say i liked it compared to the HHR SS interior. The HHR is nicer.

depending on if your shopping 4 cylinder, the journey is worth a look compared to those two. the interior is cheap on the journey and the dash is terrible, but it has enough other merits to make it the most appealing people hauler of the 3. the vibe will get great mpg. hhr will get good mpg.

i can't say i was terribly impressed with the vibe redo. the exterior is nice however, and it is a nice mazda 3 alternative. the matrix is a disaster.

I sat in the Vibe for awhile before the Pontiac people kicked me out at the L.A. auto show. Funny....because other manufacturers with WAY more significant intros, allowed us all over their cars (need I say this was PRESS days and the Pontiac people were being dicks....)

That being said, the Vibe interior looked alot like the old one, style-wise, but did seem to be put together quite a bit better than the old one.

I'd say go for one with the 2.4L.....it would probably be a pretty good runner!

That being said, the Vibe interior looked alot like the old one, style-wise, but did seem to be put together quite a bit better than the old one.

I have no idea what you guys are seeing in this interior. :P

The Matrix I sat in was a huge downgrade in every way possible. Materials, fit, finish, ergonomics, even the design while highly similar wasn't as attractive.

Edited by blackviper8891

I had a Vibe while the Equinox was in for something. Nice enough vehicle. A little wierd. I think though my moms Aveo has more engine than this Vibe did. And that isnt saying much. That alone made me not want one. Plus this engine buzzed and droned worse as bad as some of GMs earlier 4-cylinders. I though Toyota 4-cylinders were supposed to be the quietest and smoothest 4-cylinders that exist? Wouldnt know it by this one. The Ecotec in the HHR I tested was much quieter and much more powerful.

I sat in the Vibe for awhile before the Pontiac people kicked me out at the L.A. auto show. Funny....because other manufacturers with WAY more significant intros, allowed us all over their cars (need I say this was PRESS days and the Pontiac people were being dicks....)

I'd say go for one with the 2.4L.....it would probably be a pretty good runner!

Yeah, I plan to give the 2.4 a try too..I have a feeling it will have some nice pep....

It's good that it somewhat like the old Vibe...beacuse she liked a lot of things on the old Vibe....(fold down front seat, stuff like that..)

The Vibe is disgusting, but not as disgusting as the arrangement that makes it possible. Both should go away ASAP.

Wow, that was positive. :(

Keep in mind, this is for the wifie (and still some months down the road)

As much as I liked it, I'm looking more for some fun factor....

That, and she does like the Vue and the Nox' too...

So we will see..... :)

Yeah, I plan to give the 2.4 a try too..I have a feeling it will have some nice pep....

It's good that it somewhat like the old Vibe...beacuse she liked a lot of things on the old Vibe....(fold down front seat, stuff like that..)

daves, a word of caution, the old vibe fake metal dash scratched very easily, the one on this model will be prone to the same issue. My wife loves her Nox.

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

daves, a word of caution, the old vibe fake metal dash scratched very easily, the one on this model will be prone to the same issue. My wife loves her Nox.

Hmmm...and with a kid coming, that could be a lot of scratches....that could get ugly quick....

Gives me something to think about.

Wonder if I should try it at the dealership? You know, like in a place they won't see? :)

I like the Nox too. 8)

Why not get a Mazda3?

Now if you said Supra it'd be understandable. :P

...hate to say it, but DF is right about this one. I like both the 3 and the HHR better than the Vibe.

My friend Travis is getting 31 m.p.g. Ave. out of his manual shift HHR!

Chris

Wow, that was positive. :(

Keep in mind, this is for the wifie (and still some months down the road)

As much as I liked it, I'm looking more for some fun factor....

That, and she does like the Vue and the Nox' too...

So we will see..... :)

Go drive an Astra, for real. Gas is going to go to $4.00 plus a gallon, like it or not. The Astra is really well built, really nice looking, handles better than almost anything else on the road, great fuel econ. and reliability...

The Nox and Vue will eat into your budget with gas costs...just my two cents...

But seriously, look into an Astra. I like it even much better than the Mazda 3.

Chris

MR2s are from a different Era, way cooler than any of today's Toyopets.

But that's not saying much.

At least a small chunk of the profit fro the Vibe goes to GM/Pontiac.

Ditto on that one. Toyota has built a few cool products...GM has built hundreds of really cool cars.

Toyota currently builds Zero cars I want to buy, GM builds a good half dozen.

Chris

Go drive an Astra, for real. Gas is going to go to $4.00 plus a gallon, like it or not. The Astra is really well built, really nice looking, handles better than almost anything else on the road, great fuel econ. and reliability...

The Nox and Vue will eat into your budget with gas costs...just my two cents...

But seriously, look into an Astra. I like it even much better than the Mazda 3.

Chris

She's not big on the look ofthe Astra either..though she would like to drive one...

I have to problem with an Astra, I'd take one in blue in a heartbeat. 8)