Should GM Move It's Global Headquarters?

This is one of those rearrange the chairs on the titanic ideas. And these usually come from people who are trying to get control of something that they have no business being involved in or are trying to make their mark. I see it all of the time when the active duty sends in a new Lt.

Ooooh. I love that analogy. If Captain Smith had been standing at the Grand Staircase with the hoi paloi instead of in the Con after the iceburg was hit the ship wouldn't have gone down.... right?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let them move their headquarters to Toronto. We'll tax them out of existence, complain about the increased traffic, force them to build affordable housing on the site of their new office tower, and leak trade secrets to President Obama.

Shouldn't this be the end-all question: "How would such a move (to wherever) improve our product?"

It wouldn't necessarily, so this shouldn't be a priority for GM - better vehicles should be.

Just like you can't keep cutting your way to profits, you can't run away from your problems. Once GM cuts whatever brand(s) it chooses, what gets cut then? Once GM moves to a new "global" headquarters, where do you run to if that doesn't work? Do customers say, "I don't like that car because GM's headquartered in Detroit"?

So you think that, by moving the company to [ wherever C-P F would like ], those customers will say, "Gee, now that GM is headquartered in Bonn, I'm going to buy that Caddy"?

Well, in this customer's mind, GM was, is, and always should be an American company, that, admittedly, has global interests and operations (but not headquarters) elsewhere.

Is this one of those "already a done deal" questions?

So you think that, by moving the company to [ wherever C-P F would like ], those customers will say, "Gee, now that GM is headquartered in Bonn, I'm going to buy that Caddy"?

Well, in this customer's mind, GM was, is, and always should be an American company, that, admittedly, has global interests and operations (but not headquarters) elsewhere.

It's just a question, no more, no less. :smilewide:

I think the original post was simply to invite discussion on an interesting, yet sensitive topic.

It's not likely GM will ever move.....but it's interesting to contemplate.

I never thougth Buick would leave Flint......

VW Group is moving from Auburn Hills to D.C.......

Boeing moved from Seattle to Chicago......

I think the original post was simply to invite discussion on an interesting, yet sensitive topic.

It's not likely GM will ever move.....but it's interesting to contemplate.

I never thougth Buick would leave Flint......

VW Group is moving from Auburn Hills to D.C.......

Boeing moved from Seattle to Chicago......

I never thought I would witness the destruction of the Buick City Assembly plant, but I did, and I couldn't believe my eyes as it was happening! :censored:

LIke it or not, the population 'center' of the U.S. is in the northeast/midwest. It still makes more sense for manufacturing to be located up here. Instead of slash and burn manufacturing policies (like were adopted in the late 19th/early 20th centuries), Washington needs to rejuvenate those areas of Ohio/Pennsylvania/Michigan/Indiana, etc that have been devastated by changing demographics and manufacturing.

After all, there is only so much desert in New Mexico, Arizona and Nevada to build on, before they, too become toxic wastelands that nobody wants to live in. And never, ever underestimate the value of water. Many economists believe it will be THE next battleground of the 21st Century - and it's all up here, baby.

LIke it or not, the population 'center' of the U.S. is in the northeast/midwest. It still makes more sense for manufacturing to be located up here. Instead of slash and burn manufacturing policies (like were adopted in the late 19th/early 20th centuries), Washington needs to rejuvenate those areas of Ohio/Pennsylvania/Michigan/Indiana, etc that have been devastated by changing demographics and manufacturing.

After all, there is only so much desert in New Mexico, Arizona and Nevada to build on, before they, too become toxic wastelands that nobody wants to live in. And never, ever underestimate the value of water. Many economists believe it will be THE next battleground of the 21st Century - and it's all up here, baby.

That's why Canada's gonna become our 51st state......

:lol:

(And you'll still only be the 2nd-largest state in the union.....)

:booyah:

Edited by The O.C.

oh no, with global warming melting all the fricking ice, we'll be up to our ass in water all over by 2009.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080307/volvo_relocation.html?.v=1

Volvo Relocating US Headquarters From Southern California to New Jersey

(dang, who's gonna buy my condos now?, another one leaves irvine)

AP

Volvo Closing SoCal Office Hub

Friday March 7, 8:45 pm ET

IRVINE, Calif. (AP) -- Volvo Cars of North America LLC said Friday it will relocate its U.S. headquarters from Southern California to New Jersey, where its customer service and other operations are based.

"The relocation will make North American operations more efficient by bringing everyone together in one location, as well as bringing everyone three time zones closer to the Swedish headquarters," the company said in a statement.

The move from Irvine to Rockleigh, N.J., will affect fewer than 80 employees, the company said.

Volvo Cars of North America shifted its headquarters to Irvine in 2001.

On Friday, it also named Doug Speck as president and chief executive officer, replacing Anne Belec, who became Ford Motor Co. director of global marketing.

Volvo Cars of North America is a subsidiary of Volvo Car Corp. of Goteborg, Sweden, which is owned by Ford.

A call to a Volvo spokesman was not immediately returned Friday.

Edited by regfootball

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080307/volvo_relocation.html?.v=1

(dang, who's gonna buy my condos now?, another one leaves irvine)

And this surprises you?

Gee....yeah....that's LOTS of Volvo employees in Irvine (NOT..)

Doesn't surprise me at all.....European carmaker....closer in time zones and flight times to Europe.......

(One reason why Nissan's move to TN was all the more surprising.....unless France is exhibiting more-and-more control....????)

That's why Canada's gonna become our 51st state......

:lol:

(And you'll still only be the 2nd-largest state in the union.....)

:booyah:

:stupid:

Quebec: 594,860 sq miles

Alaska: 570,380 sq miles

Ontario: 415,000 sq miles

Texas: 268,581 sq miles

:unsure:

Canada = 3.84 million sq miles

USA = 3.79 million sq miles

This is a bigger margin that GM won the sales race over Toyota. :pbjtime:

:stupid:

Quebec: 594,860 sq miles

Alaska: 570,380 sq miles

Ontario: 415,000 sq miles

Texas: 268,581 sq miles

:unsure:

Canada = 3.84 million sq miles

USA = 3.79 million sq miles

This is a bigger margin that GM won the sales race over Toyota. :pbjtime:

No dufus....(j/k)

Think population.....

California: 36,132,147

Canada: 31,361,611

Texass: 22,859,968

You'll be sorry if you annex us. American's will have to contend with Quebecer's demanding their language on products, meaning every product will have English, French, and Spanish, but the French will have to be bigger than the other two languages, or we'll all have our asses dragged to a 'Human Rights Tribunal' .

Of course, you'll also be swamped with Newfoundlanders; it's way more terrifying than it sounds. :P

So yeah, be careful what you wish for.

You'll be sorry if you annex us. American's will have to contend with Quebecer's demanding their language on products, meaning every product will have English, French, and Spanish, but the French will have to be bigger than the other two languages, or we'll all have our asses dragged to a 'Human Rights Tribunal' .

Of course, you'll also be swamped with Newfoundlanders; it's way more terrifying than it sounds. :P

:rotflmao:

That is too funny. No I wouldn't want to annex you guys........besides you guys have your own challenges........

It's funny.....Canadian and American relations (good OR bad) never really make it into the press.

And everytime I've been to Canada, it's been SOOOOO much like the States, it's not even funny. (But I haven't been to the eastern provinces.....just Ontario and BC.) It's a nice place.....with friendly people.......

What is wierd is.....you guys are pretty spread-out.......in my above post, I talked population numbers......CA has almost 5 million MORE people than your ENTIRE country.....that's an amazing statistic to me......and hard to fathom........

(edit: BTW...I love Vancouver....probably my favorite Canadian city....even better than Toronto......it reminds me alot of Seattle.....)

Edited by The O.C.

I've met a few "Newfies" and have no problem there. But dude, bagged milk is sooo weird!

OC: You should visit Montreal - I highly recommend it.

I've met a few "Newfies" and have no problem there. But dude, bagged milk is sooo weird!

OC: You should visit Montreal - I highly recommend it.

Just be careful that a highway overpass doesn't fall on you.................