Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Automobile magazine has officially Jumped the Shark

enzl

I'm thinking all you guys wanna sleep with her.

Keep dreamin! She's got TASTE!

:AH-HA_wink:

Hahahaha

She's definitely an interesting character...I've read Jean Jennings (formerly Lindamood) articles for 30 years (since her C&D tenure).

check out her Compass pitch by selecting vehicle.

Awful doesn't describe the shame involved.

Linky:

http://jeep.automobilemag.com/

*ttac scoop, sorry. Thought you guys would enjoy the ad (in a sadly comic way.)

Damn she's gotten some hips on her lately......and she's got that Michigan "twang" down pat......LOL

I met her back at GMI in the late-80's....when she was alot younger, and was Jean "Lindamood." I was pretty impressed with her back then.....and have always enjoyed her writing.

This Jeep crap does her no favors......

check out her Compass pitch by selecting vehicle.

Awful doesn't describe the shame involved.

Linky:

http://jeep.automobilemag.com/

*ttac scoop, sorry. Thought you guys would enjoy the ad (in a sadly comic way.)

Anyone know what happened to her at Automobile Magazine?

DED Jr. ripped on her pretty horridly on his Winding Road webazine....talking about her "ruining" "his" magazine, Automobile Magazine.

Wierd because I always thought they were close....he hired her at C&D way-back-when....and took her with him in the mid-80's when he started Automobile.

I guess if one was really into certain 'journalists', JJ in particular, this might seem akin to 'selling out', but to the majority of readers/viewers, she is interchangable with 5 dozen other writers as to ability/quality... therefore, the Jeep/Compass vids are no worse that any other manufacturer-sourced advertising spoken by an unknown.

Ad to that the fact that she is not particularly visually attractive (so here's numerous facial close-ups, yer welcome!), and you get yet another disposable, forgettable 'testimonial'.

I've never particularly cared for her writing, even back under the Lindamood surname.

DED Jr. ripped on her pretty horridly on his Winding Road webazine....talking about her "ruining" "his" magazine, Automobile Magazine.

Wierd because I always thought they were close....he hired her at C&D way-back-when....and took her with him in the mid-80's when he started Automobile.

I'm under the impression she's the one running the show at Automobile. (The title has been sold, so this may just be a revenue grab for the new owners)

The internet has truly killed the enthusiast's traditional press.

(The CVT imitation is precious.)

I'm under the impression she's the one running the show at Automobile. (The title has been sold, so this may just be a revenue grab for the new owners)

The internet has truly killed the enthusiast's traditional press.

(The CVT imitation is precious.)

I disagree on the internet thing.

For me, the internet will NEVER replace the joy of sitting down each month with the new car rags. I don't just "flip" through them, I read them cover-to-cover. I even go through old issues alot of times.

But I'm wierd....I have a collection of every C&D, MT, R&T back to around 1970 and Automobile since it came out. I also have all the british mags (CAR, TopGear, EVO, and WhatCar) for the last 5 or so years. Of the three that go back to '70, a few of the early years are incomplete, but from like mid-80's on, I have every issue.

As far as Jean, she was replaced as Editor-in-Chief by Gavin Conway, but retained her title of "President." NOW, after checking recent issues, I see that as of 11-07, she once again is listed as "President" AND "Editor-in-Chief."

I don't know why this Gavin Conway came in for that short time, but looks like you are right and she's back in charge fully now.

I disagree on the internet thing.

For me, the internet will NEVER replace the joy of sitting down each month with the new car rags. I don't just "flip" through them, I read them cover-to-cover. I even go through old issues alot of times.

But I'm wierd....I have a collection of every C&D, MT, R&T back to around 1970 and Automobile since it came out. I also have all the british mags (CAR, TopGear, EVO, and WhatCar) for the last 5 or so years. Of the three that go back to '70, a few of the early years are incomplete, but from like mid-80's on, I have every issue.

As far as Jean, she was replaced as Editor-in-Chief by Gavin Conway, but retained her title of "President." NOW, after checking recent issues, I see that as of 11-07, she once again is listed as "President" AND "Editor-in-Chief."

I don't know why this Gavin Conway came in for that short time, but looks like you are right and she's back in charge fully now.

I feel the same about having a magazine in hand, although I only keep CAR for a year or so and then sent backcopies to my nephews (they love them & use the pics).

Everything else gets recycled.

I guess I was more refering to the casual reader that used to pick up a newsstand copy--I think that, along with subs, are way down in that industry.

I feel the same about having a magazine in hand, although I only keep CAR for a year or so and then sent backcopies to my nephews (they love them & use the pics).

Everything else gets recycled.

I guess I was more refering to the casual reader that used to pick up a newsstand copy--I think that, along with subs, are way down in that industry.

In many ways you are right.....the car rag nutjobs like me are few and far between.

But I still believe that with all the time people are on the computer these days for work and what-not, there's gotta be an escape from the computer....and a magazine helps provide an escape.

In many ways you are right.....the car rag nutjobs like me are few and far between.

But I still believe that with all the time people are on the computer these days for work and what-not, there's gotta be an escape from the computer....and a magazine helps provide an escape.

Me too...I've subscribed to C&D and R&T since I was 7 in '77..still have all of them...currently, I subscribe to them, Automobile, Collectible Automobile, and pick up CAR, Top Gear, Evo, Hemmings Muscle Machines, Hemmings Classic Cars occasionally.

Me too...I've subscribed to C&D and R&T since I was 7 in '77..still have all of them...currently, I subscribe to them, Automobile, Collectible Automobile, and pick up CAR, Top Gear, Evo, Hemmings Muscle Machines, Hemmings Classic Cars occasionally.

I have AutoWeek and Automotive News come in the mail......and so does WhatCar? because I can't find it on the shelves.

I pick up the others separately.......partly because I have a newsstand in Redondo Beach that gets them all early (I'm talking around the 24th-25th of the month for the "new" issues).....and I'm way too impatient to wait for them to come in the mail. Those are:

Car & Driver

Road & Track

Motor Trend

Automobile

CAR

TopGear

EVO

AutoCar (weekly)

I don't keep AutoCar, AutoWeek, or Automotive News though........

I have AutoWeek and Automotive News come in the mail......and so does WhatCar? because I can't find it on the shelves.

I pick up the others separately.......partly because I have a newsstand in Redondo Beach that gets them all early (I'm talking around the 24th-25th of the month for the "new" issues).....and I'm way too impatient to wait for them to come in the mail. Those are:

Car & Driver

Road & Track

Motor Trend

Automobile

CAR

TopGear

EVO

AutoCar (weekly)

I don't keep AutoCar, AutoWeek, or Automotive News though........

I only subscribe to AN---otherwise, I do pick up CAR religiously, the others occassionally, at newsstands.

I think I may skip Automobile from now on, however.

It's all quite surprising, because I was at B&N today comparing car rags, and Automobile was by far the best US one. Apart from C&D, which I've always subscribed to, Automobile is the only one worth reading. C&D is the blue-collar-populist-working-man's rag, informative and to the point; Automobile is properly poncy and elitist, academic and cultured; and MT is just stuck in limbo, confused, trying very hard to act all cool and sophisticated with trippy photography, "imagine you're going 110 down the straight, then slamming onto the brakes, selecting second, turning in, and feeling the limits of adhesion!!" writing and whatnot, trying to cater to the mainstream.

In this month's Automobile they conducted a few unusual but relevant comparisons... G8 GT to a 550i, GL320 CDI to a GMC Yukon Hybrid, and Evo and STI to a 335i. The features were interesting (design analysis, commentary on Volvo brand, praise for 'stripper' bare bones car models, an observation on large grilles with small openings, interviews of new burgeoning auto designers from the Big 3, an interview with the CEO of Saleen, etc) and the graphic design, photography, and print quality were better than the rest.

It's all quite surprising, because I was at B&N today comparing car rags, and Automobile was by far the best US one. Apart from C&D, which I've always subscribed to, Automobile is the only one worth reading. C&D is the blue-collar-populist-working-man's rag, informative and to the point; Automobile is properly poncy and elitist, academic and cultured; and MT is just stuck in limbo, confused, trying very hard to act all cool and sophisticated with trippy photography, "imagine you're going 110 down the straight, then slamming onto the brakes, selecting second, turning in, and feeling the limits of adhesion!!" writing and whatnot, trying to cater to the mainstream.

In this month's Automobile they conducted a few unusual but relevant comparisons... G8 GT to a 550i, GL320 CDI to a GMC Yukon Hybrid, and Evo and STI to a 335i. The features were interesting (design analysis, commentary on Volvo brand, praise for 'stripper' bare bones car models, an observation on large grilles with small openings, interviews of new burgeoning auto designers from the Big 3, an interview with the CEO of Saleen, etc) and the graphic design, photography, and print quality were better than the rest.

My favorites are.....in this order......

Car & Driver

Motor Trend

Automobile

Road & Track

I can't really explain why I like them in that order, I just do......but that being said....if I were to rank them on QUALITY....it would be.....

Automobile

Road & Track

Car & Driver

Motor Trend

I think it has to do with the fact that C&D and MT bring alot more in the realm of, like you said, being informative and to-the-point with plenty of road tests and test drives. Automobile and R&T, on the other hand, bring a higher level of automotive journalism to the articles they do offer......

So....I enjoy C&D and MT for the sheer road tests and vehicle reviews......but find AM and R&T to be the higher-quality reading........

• 2 weeks later...
Wow... the CVT sound part... wow.

Right... I think Jeep wants their money back!!!

My 1959 Buick has a CVT and it does NOT sound like: "eeeeeerererere, eeereereree eeeerererererererrrererer"

That's NOT very appealing to anyone considering a wussy Compass. :blink:

No I do not have the same trans. (mechanically or technically) as some pussiefied FWD "Jeep crossover".

I do however believe that the Dynaflow (twin or tripple turbine) fits the definiton of a CVT.

And if you wanna get technical do you really beleive the Jeep's CVT if infinitely variable?

I'd like to see it do 200-MPH @ 68 miles per gallon then!

A continuously variable transmission (CVT) is a transmission which can change steplessly through an infinite number of effective gear ratios between maximum and minimum values. This contrasts with other mechanical transmissions that only allow a few different discrete gear ratios to be selected.

Thats Wikipedia's definition. If you've ever driven a vehicle with a CVT, you would know why any "traditional" automatic is completely different in driving feel. Calling the Dynaflow a CVT is like me saying the Fusion is carburated because fuel goes into the engine.

Buick Twin Turbine Dynaflow has a planetary ('mechanical') low gear, but when put into drive, does not use that 1st gear. It does not shift, period, from 0 to 125+ MPH- stator blades change the hydraulic resistance for infinite ratios. Triple Turbines use 3 stator segments for smoother, more powerful operation- these were extremely expensive units in the upper models.

Tho technically the DynaFlow can be called a 2-spd, like I said, in normal operation it would have to be classified as a CVT, even tho the physicalities of how it works are different that modern CVTs (which are more mechanical than a DynaFlow).

A DynaFlow is certainly NOT a "traditional automatic".

maybe DED was getting some of jean back then.

R/T is still the class of the car mags.

Looking in my basement, i have C/D and MT in containers going back to 1989. those worth anything or should i burn them for kindling?

maybe DED was getting some of jean back then.

R/T is still the class of the car mags.

Looking in my basement, i have C/D and MT in containers going back to 1989. those worth anything or should i burn them for kindling?

I've got C&D, MT, Automobile, and R&T back to almost 1970.....with only various issues missing in between. (BUT, I have all of Automobile's mags, and of the other three, from say the late-80's on, I have all of them too.....complete years.)

I'd keep them.......you could get a small amount of money for them....but not anything substantial that would make them worth anything. I go to AutoBooks in Burbank every few months because they get in old issues every so often.....and I scour through them to find back issues that I'm missing from the 70's or early 80's......AutoBooks only charges $1 per back issue.....so they can't be offering people much to take them in.

As far as Jean......I met her back in 1989 when she came and spoke at GMI. That was 18 years ago.....she was much skinnier, and much more youthful looking back then (of course....18 years ago) so maybe DED was tapping that.......LOL

BTW.....I hope you guys that live in other parts of the country and have a "basement" as part of your house don't take it for granted.....! We don't have basements here....and the storage opportunities are missed ten-fold.....

:unsure: