Chevy Lets 2010 'Nox out of the bag

Z-06

Linkity

The fourth TE to surface after 9-4 and Provoq.

2010 Chevrolet Equinox - Spied

"Heeeeere, boy!" Chevy's version of GM's new crossover family jumps the fence.

BY STEVE SILER, PHOTOGRAPHY BY STEVE SYZDEK FOR BRENDA PRIDDY AND COMPANY, CORIE AMSDEN, WADE RATZLAFF, AND AARON KILEY

March 2008

A few months ago, we were there when the 2010 Cadillac BRX—an upcoming version of GM's TE family of crossovers that also includes the recently released Saturn Vue and the upcoming Saab 9-4X—was let out of the house for track testing. Now another of the TE platform-mates is not only out of the house but also out on the road, barking and chasing cars.

Based on the pictures we just got from our spies, the 2010 Chevy Equinox appears to share its body-side stampings, wheelbase, and certain other key elements with the Cadillac. This prototype's front end appears to be darn close to that of the shorter-wheelbase Vue, although its thin bar in the middle of the grille—as opposed to a fat bar at the top of the grille—clearly gives this one away as a Chevy.

The interior shot reveals interesting thick-rimmed gauge pods and silver trim around the HVAC registers—design elements we've not seen in Chevrolets before.

Under the skin, little is known at this point. We expect that GM's 3.6-liter V-6 from the Vue will make it to the Chevrolet, and we half expect an SS version with a 300-plus-hp direct-injection V-6, as seen in the Cadillac CTS.

We'll see what GM has done to address the Vue's pesky weight problem, something that prevents even the hybrid version from getting truly great fuel economy.

But given that the current Equinox has provided the basis for a variety of alternative-fuel powerplant experiments, including a small fleet of hydrogen fuel-cell versions, we expect the next one will include not only a two-mode hybrid but also a plug-in hybrid and the next generation of hydrogen fuel-cell powerplants.

Regardless of what it has beneath it, we like what we see so far. If Chevy can pull the same kind of coup for crossovers that it did in the sedan market with the Malibu, we predict more praise for the bow-tie division.

Linkity

The fourth TE to surface after 9-4 and Provoq.

A few months ago, we were there when the 2010 Cadillac BRX—an upcoming version of GM's TE family of crossovers that also includes the recently released Saturn Vue and the upcoming Saab 9-4X—was let out of the house for track testing. Now another of the TE platform-mates is not only out of the house but also out on the road, barking and chasing cars.

Regardless of what it has beneath it, we like what we see so far. If Chevy can pull the same kind of coup for crossovers that it did in the sedan market with the Malibu, we predict more praise for the bow-tie division.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: .First of all the Saturn Vue is NOT ON THETA-EPSILON Platform!

2nd,The Chevrolet Equinox is on(and will be on) the THETA platform.

What's with the high beltline and giant A-pillar?

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezwebin_si...image_large.jpg

My beef with the new Malibu and VUE is that they feel claustrophobic, not airy, inside. That large triangular area that houses the mirrors looks like a PITA.

The car looks nice, though. Is this also the next-gen Captiva, now that Chevrolet is a world brand?

The Saturn is on based on the Antara, which is based on the Captiva, which is derived from Theta, am I missing something or does that not make the Vue Theta?

Olds, what do you mean by Vue varient?

Red-Line, Green-line, White-line.....

uhm....

Brougham?

The grill just says Vue to me. As does the interior.

hahaha. i love how everyone a couple months ago really thought this was the BRX and that GM was driving Cadillac off a cliff....

Most def a chevy...the inside looks like it takes after the camaro/malibu as well...

correct me if i'm wrong...the Vue and Nox are both on Theta..right?

Edited by jbartley

Meh...

Sounds nice, but who can tell?

I certainly hope Chevrolet and Cadillac aren't sharing stampings. :blink:

I'm sure it'll have the Malibu nose with Opel-esque headlights and tailights.

FWIW, an Equinox Sport runs around my neighborhood and I never realised what a hot little ride that thing is. It's really grown on me!

re-reading the article...is the writer dumb? the BRX hasn't been seen yet in testing...so how would they know if they're sharing stamping?

My guess is because they think the spy shots they claim are of the BRX (and are actually of the Equinox) share the same stampings.

Typical auto rag ignorance.

Meh...

Sounds nice, but who can tell?

I certainly hope Chevrolet and Cadillac aren't sharing stampings. :blink:

I'm sure it'll have the Malibu nose with Opel-esque headlights and tailights.

FWIW, an Equinox Sport runs around my neighborhood and I never realised what a hot little ride that thing is. It's really grown on me!

ya , just saw a Nox sport at disneyland, liked it alot!

What's with the high beltline and giant A-pillar?

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezwebin_si...image_large.jpg

My beef with the new Malibu and VUE is that they feel claustrophobic, not airy, inside. That large triangular area that houses the mirrors looks like a PITA.

The car looks nice, though. Is this also the next-gen Captiva, now that Chevrolet is a world brand?

Ahh, no. The Captiva is swb, 4-cylinder, the Equinox replacement is lwb, V6. Different sizes. This is being called neither Equinox, nor Captiva.

Anyone notice it's right hand drive?

Quite a few people noticed this. If it was actually RHD and the photo wasn't reversed, GM clearly has big plans for the new Equinox. Perhaps this will replace the Captiva globally or at least be sold as a slightly smaller companion (only two rows of seats).

Though, from all that we've read about the Captiva, it's not really the best choice when comparing it with the mid-sized SUVs from the competition.

I like how GM is slowly making Chevrolet a global brand like Toyota. Sure, there will be models that are only for specific regions, but overall, you get the same type of styling and idea.

Too bad Ford can't seem to figure it out yet.

It's actually the Captiva which is smaller. While reviewers prefer the Antara's handling, buyers much prefer the Captiva for its extra space and lower price. It's proving quite popular. And the Equinox is being dropped. This will be a new Chevy crossover.

This new crossover sounds like a good size, assuming it keeps the Captiva's relatively (to the Antara) space efficient design. The VUE's lack of interior volume makes it difficult to justify its hefty weight... it's like a luxurious personal crossover in a segment of function and utilitarianism.

I wouldn't say the Captiva is more efficient—it adds an extra row of seats by extending the rear overhang. The new crossovers being built in Canada are lwb models like the Equinox and Torrent. We'll see if GM sees the light and markets them as midsize so that people looking at the Edge and Highlander will consider them, or tries to sell them as compacts again to people who really want something smaller with a 4-cylinder (stupid stupid stupid).

So why's the Equinox specifically being dropped? I mean, granted, 5 years (I remember seeing Equinox promo stuff back in 2003 when I was going to GCC-wow-a long time ago now!) is a long time without change, and since the late 1980's, American manufacturers have done an awful job of not updating vehicles for long periods of time (cough....Cavalier.....cough), which reminds me.....

Doesn't this look nearly identical, but with a Malibu/Traverse-style grille, to the Cadillac BRX spy shots? Is this Cavalier-Cimmaron as we know it again? And also, I see no reason as to why a compact car-based SUV needs to have a third row of seating, when I could barely get into the rear seats of an Infiniti EX (though it sure is stylish) or the Acura MDX. Forget the third row of the Mitsubishi Outlander, geese....

• 2 weeks later...