MY (YOUR) NEXT CAR

lease is up early fall.

I'm thinking about what i want to replace the 500 with.

either a people mover, basic sedan, or a sporty vehicle.

It would be nice to have an AWD vehicle.

Ford has an advantage for me for a few reasons. Dealer is excellent - one price, 2 miles away and its convenient for service and shuttles, even if the car is super reliable. I like Sync. My last 3 fords have been completely reliable and dependable.

that said, i am not closing the door on something else.

Price and mpg will likely matter and chances are good I will lease again. There is a chance I may just buy a used car too. in fact, the economy the way it is, gas prices, we could be seeing a downgrade in my list also.

currently these are likely the vehicles that I am eyeballing the most.

Ford Flex

Ford Edge

Ford Taurus / Merc Sable

Ford Taurus X

Ford Fusion / Merc Milan (manual most likely)

Pontiac G8

Chevy HHR SS manual turbo

Traverse / Outlook / Acadia

VW Routan

Cobalt SS sedan manual turbo

-used Saab 9-3 Aero v6 manual

-used van

just curious to see what others are shopping for if you are getting something this year.

Edited by regfootball

Ford Edge SEL (for you). A two-row crossover. Sharp looks, and who needs a vestigial third seat anyway?

the edge is nice, but i get a very androgynous 'this will look weird five years from now' vibe out of it.

still, it may end up being that.

funds outlook seemingly keeps decreasing each month, gas is skyrocketing, so a simple fusion manual 4 cyl seems to be jumping in as a practical option.

with all the glut of crossovers, for some reason, a simple sedan seems so refreshing lately.

there was a stunning HHR in the parking lot at work when i left tonight, though. arg.

darn snow. G8 would be THE choice, without question, if i lived in snow free climes.

recently a dealer i once bought a car from sold a 2006 saab 9-3 aero v6 / stick for about 20 grand. i think that car would get good mpg if you lay off the gas some. it's a bit small inside however. i need to get one car seat for sure in the back.

Edited by regfootball

CPO E46?

(edit: not for me...my next car...well...who knows...most likely an e39 M5, and most likely it will come sooner than I think...but maybe not. Talk about shooting myself in the foot...)

Edited by Nick

Hmm... I'd recommend the Taurus/Sable, but I'm as biased as you are. lol

If you opt for the Fusion/Milan, I'd recommend waiting for the refresh coming soon. It's supposed to be an upgrade with the engines and transmissions, especially with the 4-cyl.

As for me, I dunno... every used car I find that I like, someone buys. :(

Even though the 9-3 is the nicest Epsilon out there, the 2.8T is a gas-guzzler.

The 2009 Fusion sounds promising, but being new there probably won't be many lease deals. Escape Hybrid is nice. Altima Hybrid, too.

VWs usually have good leases once in a while. Right now, $0 down, 36 mo, 12K mi/yr: $249/mo Jetta S or Rabbit manual, $319/mo GTI, $329/mo Passat Turbo auto or GLI, $349/mo Passat Wagon Turbo. Upcoming Tiguan (2.0T, six-speed) and Jetta SportWagen TDI sound promising, too, though the latter will be limited availability.

HHR would be a good choice for you....or the new Fusion-though the ols Fusion should have some good lease rates...

Unless something happens to one of mine-I going to wait a little while. Heck, her car still hasn't fit 50k yet...

Though I'm sure the bug will bite me before then.

Cobalt, HHR, Malibu, Vibe (maybe)

The Fusion, if you could take the hit in space from the 500, would be a fine choice. A Milan with a stick would be even nicer, assuming you can actually find one. As long as you're keeping the Aztek, you have a larger vehicle, why not a Focus sedan? Yeah, they're small, but if its just going to be transportation, it would be perfect, use the Aztek when you need more space. The Edge is also a fine choice, I cant wait to see what the Flex feels like. How about a Wrangler 4-door? With the hardtop, cold weather isn't an issue (I drove a hardtop on an extremely cold day) and the cheap-ass interior doesn't seem out of place. It does have Bluetooth and the lifetime powertrain warranty. The back doors are tiny and the back seat is tight for a six-footer.

The Fusion, if you could take the hit in space from the 500, would be a fine choice. A Milan with a stick would be even nicer, assuming you can actually find one. As long as you're keeping the Aztek, you have a larger vehicle, why not a Focus sedan? Yeah, they're small, but if its just going to be transportation, it would be perfect, use the Aztek when you need more space. The Edge is also a fine choice, I cant wait to see what the Flex feels like. How about a Wrangler 4-door? With the hardtop, cold weather isn't an issue (I drove a hardtop on an extremely cold day) and the cheap-ass interior doesn't seem out of place. It does have Bluetooth and the lifetime powertrain warranty. The back doors are tiny and the back seat is tight for a six-footer.

I was at the auto show again today. some choices I should add to the list, some VW's (Jetta, Jetta Sportwagen -got to sit in one-, Tiguan- sat in that too, Passat and Passat wagon, and the Accord, and the Chrylser vans.

I spent a LONG time in a 300 LX cloth which i really liked. I tried to build one with cloth and AWD and it wouldn't let me and if it had the price would have went bye bye.

Back to the Fusion. I spent a lot of time in a Fusion with the sport package, and Milans with the black / metal and leather.

As far as space goes, the Fusion and Milan are pretty large inside. Just lower than my car. Which might be ok. The Fusion and Milan are nicer than the Malibu for me as far as space and seating comfort and style. With a black interior it does a nice job feeling semi teutonic like a VW or something.

So if I am forced to economize, the Fusion or Milan may be my car. New 2010 chages don't come until Jan or Feb of next year so there will be big deals to be had. Even if the new upgrades may be worth waiting for. I guess I just need more details.

I still like the other Ford products and the Edge or Flex looks appealing. I just don't think I can do another taurus, but it is a good package for me. The Taurus X has appeal, but the Flex is the same thing, with more headroom and legroom and nicer looking.

The accord is a nice size and i could see one with a stick. Yet, Accords are pricey.

Dodge vans are ok, but they really went too far trying to make them do everything.

I did get back in the focus, too. having had one for a week recently, i can attest that was livable.

There is actually some used 4 cyl, 5 speed fusions out there and I could see maybe trying to go that route if i pick fusion and the lease doesn't seem to be worth it.

Edited by regfootball

who else is car shopping? I'm interested in knowing what others are shopping for. Being at the auto show twice last week really is overwhelming and the number of choices is insane.

I'm not exactly shopping since the decision is already made but the car won't be here for another 18 months or so.

who else is car shopping? I'm interested in knowing what others are shopping for. Being at the auto show twice last week really is overwhelming and the number of choices is insane.

Me, sooner or later.

The Cav is now paid for, and I plan on finishing up the Balt early...

Our cars are in good shape though, so there is no big rush or anything. I guess I'll have to wait for the bug to bite me... :)

No one in my family is really car shopping..mainly due to financial reasons, although if my mom were she really likes the Sebring and the PT Cruiser. She liked the PT a lot. She also likes Mustangs. I'm not really interested in a new car...not yet anyway. But when I am there are a few choice RWD cars on the list. :AH-HA_wink:

Next year at this time I will be since the Equinox lease will be up by then. Choices and so many of them just from Chevrolet make me have to think. I like Moms Aveo well enough but still prefer something larger. I like my Equinox very much but I am looking for better fuel economy next time. Maybe a closer look at the Malibu. Only problem was that I didnt really fit in the ones at the auto show or the dealer the way that I like. The Impala fits me like a comfortable pair of shoes. May look at one of them unless they change it to RWD. Dont want that for winter but thats another story. Maybe the HHR might be a wildcard pick. Liked the one I drove well enough though the windows are kind of small. It all hinges on whar kind of lease deal or purchasing deal I can get. However I can get the most for the least. I dont really want to keep what I get for more than 5 years tops. If I want to to keep a car forever I already have 2 of them to do that with.

250-powered, 4-speed 1970s or early 1980s Chevrolet/GMC pickup for good fuel economy.

i am worried this crossover thing is a mutation of the SUV fad and in five years, will look as silly. Still, you can't deny the added function for some of the SUV / crossovers is genuine.

Viper, do you like GTI's?

...don't know if he does but it is on my short list.

As soon as I can pay off the Scion I plan on buying another car.

Joel had his appendix out, which was $23,000+, even with decent insurance it was $4500 out of pocket for me.

Christina (youngest daughter) Ear surgery, 45 minutes in the operating room was almost ten grand, about $2,000 out of pocket for me.

Elizabeth, oldest (17) just had her wisdom teeth yanked, about $1500 out of pocket even with dental insurance.

Pretty much shot me out of the water for a new car this spring, hopefully fall.

Chris

I've been SERIOUSLY eyeballing a car that's for sale down the street...

- 1939 Nash. Older gentleman seller wants $3500 for it... runs/drives but needs brake work.

Looks like this but more beat up, and it's a champagne 2dr. http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/1939-1...mbassador-1.jpg

i am worried this crossover thing is a mutation of the SUV fad and in five years, will look as silly. Still, you can't deny the added function for some of the SUV / crossovers is genuine.

Viper, do you like GTI's?

Crossovers are out for me, as well. I'm only considering vehicles with just enough ground clearance to tackle speed bumps and the occasional curb. :P

GTI's are alright, but probably too much of a risk for me.

My next vehicle could be anything from a Saturn Astra to a Hummer H2 SUT. If my daughter keeps up this straight A's thing I owe her a new car, so I have been thinking about what to get her. I'd really like that have a CTS-V. If a CTS wagon arrives I will consider one of those as well.

For the near term, my daily driver will remain my '00 Grand Cherokee... I'm thinking of getting a convertible for a Phoenix winter car in a year or so, though. I'm still thinking about a CTS for my next daily driver, before June '10 (my 40th b-day).

Edited by moltar