MY (YOUR) NEXT CAR

• 2 months later...

update- VW's look good lately. A GTI, GLI, passat/wagon or jetta wolfsburg might be darkhorses or jetta wagon. Diesels may be too spendy. No Tiguan (too small a cargo area). Any Ford still is in the hunt with the Flex and Edge having the.....Edge. FUsion is off the list, but Focus might still be on. Taurus and Taurus X still on too. Only GM's at this point are HHR SS or Cobalt SS, used Saabs, and G8. Vibe maybe too. The LX chryslers might be a dark horse too, used.

Not sure why but the HHR SS is standing out as a nice GM option lately. G8 would be a no brainer if AWD was optional.

Forgot the Lambdas. Outlook and Traverse are big options. Can't wait to see Traverse pricing.

Edited by regfootball

I'll be getting a different car at the end of the summer, but I haven't decided what I can afford yet. Since I'm out of college and on my own now, I'm waiting to see how much of my salary each month will go toward bills and then hopefully I'll have an idea how much I can afford for a car payment.

I really want a Mustang and even though I would've never considered it before, reality with gas prices and monthly payments probably means I would have to get a V6 unless I get an older one.

Some on my eclectic wish list:

'05+ Mustang or a 87-93 GT

3rd gen or 4th gen Camaro / Trans Am

'08 Malibu

Buick Lucerne

Lincoln LS

Ford Fusion V6 (or a Mercury Milan...used Milans can be had for about the same price and usually have alloy wheels and V6's)

Olds Aurora V8

Mercury Marauder

A G-body Cutlass / MC / GP or Regal

My parents are looking to trade the Explorer soon. My mom wants a Lincoln MKX but they will probably end up getting an Edge.

I'll be getting a different car at the end of the summer, but I haven't decided what I can afford yet. Since I'm out of college and on my own now, I'm waiting to see how much of my salary each month will go toward bills and then hopefully I'll have an idea how much I can afford for a car payment.

I really want a Mustang and even though I would've never considered it before, reality with gas prices and monthly payments probably means I would have to get a V6 unless I get an older one.

Some on my eclectic wish list:

'05+ Mustang or a 87-93 GT

3rd gen or 4th gen Camaro / Trans Am

'08 Malibu

Buick Lucerne

Lincoln LS

Ford Fusion V6 (or a Mercury Milan...used Milans can be had for about the same price and usually have alloy wheels and V6's)

Olds Aurora V8

Mercury Marauder

A G-body Cutlass / MC / GP or Regal

My parents are looking to trade the Explorer soon. My mom wants a Lincoln MKX but they will probably end up getting an Edge.

try to squeeze another year or so out of your car now and keep it as a winter driver and then splurge on the new 010 mustang, by then i think it should have the 3.7 duratec instead of that whiny 4.0....unless you want a v8 ;)

• 1 month later...

well, i've driven a buttload of stuff now. a few left to drive. a few i want to drive again, but basically i like my car i have (500) and would be plenty happy with a new taurus or sable. that said, an edge or flex or taurus x would be fine too. the edge maybe is a leader due to its style factor. The Taurus X impressed me a lot for its athleticism and car like manners for a 3 row crossover. I don't even really mind the focus that much (I've had two separate 08 focus this year each for a week as loaners) and its a pretty good little commuter car.

that said i have some GM car dollars also that are burning a hole in my pocket. more on that shortly.

VW was high on my list but between arrogant VW salespeople and the fact that the Jetta (and Rabbit) sedan is really the only affordable product.....sportwagens with options start to even get high.......that, and i am just not VW material. not urban enough, or thin enough, or metrosexual enough. whatever the case, i just don't think its me.

I probably should just try a mazdaspeed 3 just to make sure I am not missing out on something dandy.

If the right Magnum or 300 came along used with 3.5 and AWD for cheap i may be snagged.

I've driven an Accord and Odyssey and to be honest the chassis feels a bit light and the handling in the accord was good. the odyssey is overrated. it holds a corner good but the cabin is too loud and the chassis feels weak and not isolated enough for this type of vehicle. The accord creeps me out anyways. I do give it credit for lots of room.

I can get a super deal on a used Endeavor and they hit the bogey with me on many areas, space, handling and ride, comfort, cargo, function....all that. big warranty left even on a used one. But premium gas and lesser than desired mpg make me pause on them. The seats in the bendover are some of the most comfy out in SUV land and the handling is pretty excellent, especially for an SUV. The fact that no one wants one might make a good deal for me.

i've even scoured the net for used Freestar/Monterey vans. Bad mpg is their stigma, and they are not refined like newer vehicles, but they offer a ton of space and all that for cheap. And my wife would have a great time loading up the back on Lowes and Home Depot trips. I've considered Caravans and Quests but i just could not get a caravan I dont think and Quest now is just weird to me even though i almost got one 3 years ago and then swtiched and got the 500.

so, the problem with Fords has been that I am leasing and i got a great deal on my 500, this time around i do not think i can get equivalent value. I may be forced to downgrade and go some other make.....GM. LOL. My sales dude suggested a Fusion to me, but to be honest, every time i have driven either the FUsion or the Mazda6 I am underwhelmed. I just don't get much out of it. Its really just a mediocre creepy car.....maybe the 010 Fusion is improved. The 09 Escape i drove with the revised v6 and 6 speed was pretty good.....so the fusion will benefit from that.

So coming back to GM, the products that have wowed me......initially i liked the astra and still do. but the high engine rpm and lack of power in general is a complete dealbreaker. I could live with no sync and no armrest and no cupholder and all those flaws but the engine is not sufficient. but the best part of being interested in an astra was really being able to drive the Aura. I have come to really like the Aura 4 cylinder. Great engine, the rest of the car feels great. I would like more tire, and more grunt off the line. Maybe an 09 Aura XR 4 cylinder with alum wheels and wider tires and 6 speed auto will fix all that (can't wait to drive the 6 speed and paddle shifters!). I will not consider an Aura XR because i dont think the price or mpg or any of that is a real advantage over my just reupping on a taurus. To me the appeal of the Aura is an economical but fun 4 cylinder powertrain option. It really made me appreciate the rest of the package. JUst the right amount of sport and space and all that. If i can swing a great lease deal, i may do it and use my GM card dollars. In comparison, the Malibu sits well also, but is overstyled to me. I like the more athletic look the aura has.

I prob need to drive the g8's again, but i think the RWD in my climate keeps them out anyways. The v8 was impressive. i thought the v6 lacked powertrain refinement. Enough that the car just didn't feel all of a piece. It needs a 6 speed auto and some suspension or noise control. The rest of the g8 I love. The g8 styling is TO DIE FOR. Perhaps too pricey for me anyways.

I've wanted to try a Vibe GT but haven't yet. I need to do that. The price and packaging is appealing. Wish it had an ecotec instead of a toyota mill.

The Saturn Outlook is still desirable to me, but now feels too large. It's just too big for me to drive everyday but I do love its capacity. It really would be an awesome tripmobile. Its fairly athletic in town, too.....but its taller than i think i would want. the cockpit is soooo comfy on this vehicle. Yet the FLex feels as comfy and doesnt ride as goshdarn high as the outlook. So i would get a Flex over an outlook anyways.

The car that has made the most favorable impression on me aside from the Taurus X is the Saab 9-3. A base 9-3 without the 17 inch wheels netted a great ride and handling combo to me, this i could tell after driving an Aero v6. The firmer ride of the Aero i think i would enjoy in time after having the base car to break in for awhile. The 4 cyl turbo has no lag and the clutch and shifter were sweet. I've always loved the dash layout. And the looks of the 9-3 improve each year, its a sweet looking car now. The pretty big deal breaker on the Saabs is price of entry and the blg flaw, SMALL BACK SEAT. unforgivable size really. But liked the Saab much better the creepy VW's I drove. Jetta is fine, its the Passat that weirded me out and i think the 9-3 is a better car than the Passat.

I should probably drive a Malibu and a CObalt.

I should try a Lucerne too because its a sweet looking car, but it would be too pricey for me i think.

I gave up any notion of a Grand Prix after piloting my FIL's yesterday for a length of time (right after my Aura test drive). The Aura 4 cyl is a much nicer car than the Grand Prix with the 3800. The W body can go away AFAIAC.

The real darkhorse here for me is the HHR aside from the Aura. I really enjoyed my HHR SS test drive and I love the 4 comfortable adult seating positions. there are few very vehicles that accomodate 4 adults so comfortably. I love the cargo area and i love the dash. It really is a cool vehicle. I think i could even like a more basic one with a stick of course. Fold flat seat! Rebates are huge on the HHR right now and it might even make the turbo affordable. The turbo is sweet and relaxed. I think that the HHR SS is a great road vehicle and in town is very agreeable and docile as well.

And I am sure my kid would absolutely think the little truck is a HOOT.

For GM, do i wait for 09's ? (USB and bluetooth) or take advantage of 08 deals? One reason i really want the Ford is sync, pretty damn badly actually.

Anyways, for GM, the Aura and HHR really do it for me as far as affordable rides. Aside from whatever used bargain presents itself, talking new, the question is, spend more for the more expensive fords or go for the smaller leaner GM cars? Both the Aura and HHR really impress me a LOT. I'm a ford guy tho, every ford with the 3.5 impresses me a lot too.

I've gotten used to higher riding cars, so the Aura is a low rider to me, yet it feels comfy and sporty.

Edited by regfootball

reg, what about a GTI? I'd take one over a Mazda Mazda3 Mazdaspeed or ASTRA or 9-3 or HHRSS or Vibe.

GTI has a couple demerits. I like the GTI (was admiring one over noon) but......

pricey compared to a basic Jetta, especially since the wolfsburg is several grand cheaper and way cheaper to lease....GTI or GLI lease is out of my budget.

GTI is at a significant disadvantage to larger more functional vehicles for the same price. For example, a 28 grand GTI is hard to justify as a second family car when i could get a seriously nice Edge new or lightly used for that price.

The GM product has advantages over the pricey GTI because of price and the fact that i can tap 2k in GM card dollars.

Astra is far cheaper with new leasing deals and pricing adjustments, as is the Vibe GT is cheaper too. HHR SS has sim performance, but holds a huge functional advantage and saves $$$ to boot as well.

Mazdaspeed is cheaper than a GTI by a little bit. Not sure I like mazda's anyways. Rather feminine.

The sterile German car thing gets to me also. VW's are tidy, but rather unimaginative on the inside.

I've been thinking a LOT about that red Suburban....

350-tbi powered, 2wd, stripped & 4-speed on the floor. :wub:

Reg:

it's a lumberjack-transport pod designed to carry more payload

in it than the GVWR of your Torn-500-ass, it is allowed to have

B/C/D pillars, and barn doors amongst other things... :wink:

GTI has a couple demerits. I like the GTI (was admiring one over noon) but......

pricey compared to a basic Jetta, especially since the wolfsburg is several grand cheaper and way cheaper to lease....GTI or GLI lease is out of my budget.

GTI is at a significant disadvantage to larger more functional vehicles for the same price. For example, a 28 grand GTI is hard to justify as a second family car when i could get a seriously nice Edge new or lightly used for that price.

The GM product has advantages over the pricey GTI because of price and the fact that i can tap 2k in GM card dollars.

Astra is far cheaper with new leasing deals and pricing adjustments, as is the Vibe GT is cheaper too. HHR SS has sim performance, but holds a huge functional advantage and saves $$$ to boot as well.

Mazdaspeed is cheaper than a GTI by a little bit. Not sure I like mazda's anyways. Rather feminine.

The sterile German car thing gets to me also. VW's are tidy, but rather unimaginative on the inside.

Actually I love VW interiors. Not great looking in the vintage car sense, but VERY comfortable IMHO and nicely done.

Why not get a base GTI for about 23k?

Chris

My next car will be an '11 Avenger! That MyGig has gotten me hooked!

Interestingly, the Columbus, Ohio Dispatch mentioned the Avenger in a front page article. They are actually one of the cars in Central Ohio appreciating the fastest in value on the resale end.

Probably not just the high price of gas...maybe Cerebus is doing something right?

Chris

I'd go with the HHR SS, G8, Lucerne (you might be able to afford one), or Taurus.

Lightly used (yeah, I know not new) Lucerne would def. be in range.

Hell of a car. A friends brother bought one...and my friend keeps calling it the Cistern.

But I digress. Hell of a nice looking car...but more your speed than mine.

Chris

250-powered, 4-speed 1970s or early 1980s Chevrolet/GMC pickup for good fuel economy.

Actually I had a friend who bought one of those and it got over 20 MPG on rural roads...until he dropped in a Supercharged 454.

Then it was more like 6.

Chris

Reg, I can't remember if you've looked at one yet, and I'm too lazy tolook through all 4 pages, but did you check out and test drive a Journey?

I took a closer look at one a couple weeks ago while I was having my oil changed and I found it handsome on the outside, and while the interior isn't beautiful, it's not hideous, and more importantly the materials are much better than the Avenger, plus it has buttloads of storage, and pretty comfy seating.

Edited by Dodgefan

Reg, I can't remember if you've looked at one yet, and I'm too lazy tolook through all 4 pages, but did you check out and test drive a Journey?

I took a closer look at one a couple weeks ago while I was having my oil changed and I found it handsome on the outside, and while the interior isn't beautiful, it's not hideous, and more importantly the materials are much better than the Avenger, plus it has buttloads of storage, and pretty comfy seating.

This is actually not a bad idea. Reg seems to like larger vehicles.

Chris

Journey has lots of positives. Incredibly functional cabin, nice exterior. But if the Edge and Taurus X exist and they both have sync, then a journey will always be below them to me. From what i am seeing the higher level Journeys are maintaining their prices pretty well.

Actually I had a friend who bought one of those and it got over 20 MPG on rural roads...until he dropped in a Supercharged 454.

Then it was more like 6.

Chris

I bet with a higher rear end, going downhill on a leap-year, after dark,

with a tailwind and an empty bed & freshly waxed paint he'd get 7.01

LOL :spin: