Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GM @ NYIAS '08: Pontiac G8 Sport Truck

Ya know, a fuel efficient version could actually take customers away from the small pickup world, I think. A lot of people who buy small pickups just want to be able to haul something occasionally, and the load capacity on this is plenty for that for most people.

Plus it's hot. :)

Today is your Christmas Camino. Merry Christmas buddy! Santa really DOES exist. This vehicle is very cool. I think this vehicle could steal sales away from midsize pickups if it offered a crew cab configuration and an all wheel drive drivetrain.

GM should replace the Colorado/Canyon with a GMC lineup of trucks based off this and the Denali XT Concept.

For all those thinking this will steal sales from midsizes, the G8 V6 starts at $27,595 and the GT is $29,995 while the Colorado regular cab starts at $16,050, the (ugly as sin) Dakota doesn't offer a regular cab, the extended cab starts at $20,125, the Frontier (also not available as a regular cab) starts at $16,250. The G8 ST, if it steals sales from any traditional trucks, will steal sales from full-size, regular cab trucks, which aren't the most popular models, not even close.

Today is your Christmas Camino. Merry Christmas buddy! Santa really DOES exist. This vehicle is very cool. I think this vehicle could steal sales away from midsize pickups if it offered a crew cab configuration and an all wheel drive drivetrain.

GM should replace the Colorado/Canyon with a GMC lineup of trucks based off this and the Denali XT Concept.

Thanks!

My next New Year really will be a happy one thanks to this!

Seems I know what I'm getting myself for Christmas 2009.

For all those thinking this will steal sales from midsizes, the G8 V6 starts at $27,595 and the GT is $29,995 while the Colorado regular cab starts at $16,050, the (ugly as sin) Dakota doesn't offer a regular cab, the extended cab starts at $20,125, the Frontier (also not available as a regular cab) starts at $16,250. The G8 ST, if it steals sales from any traditional trucks, will steal sales from full-size, regular cab trucks, which aren't the most popular models, not even close.

you're thinking in the box. the pontiac camino will appeal to sportster truck buyers, the ones who do custom work on thier truck, they want the truck image, but they want a badass truck, usually these buyers flock to tacomas. the same that it will appeal to performance coupe buyers, and to buyers who just want something unique. this will not have a problem finding 15k buyers per year.

this will be a lot cheaper than the SSR and i think that is where some of these buyers will be hiding.

simply put, there are enough folks who want something to haul motocross bikes with or tow jet skis and this vehicle is a fashion accessory to those with that lifestyle.

i can already see marketing tie ins with that motorsports crowd.

this truck will have a unique set of buyers.

for many, a truck like this is a summer toy and they probably already have another full size truck of some sort they use year round. I know back from whence I grew up, lots of farmers who love hot rods and trucks will be they types who may think of having something like this in the shed all winter and will pull it out for street dances and bar runs on hot summer nights. (Since its a truck, it may be deductible on taxes).

Edited by regfootball

oh ya it needs all kinds of crazy colors. which brings me to my next point, GM has gotten better at picking colors for thier cars, but they still suck majorly at it. Starting with the Acadia, which is a very cool truck but looks awful traditional/GM in the red, some better/blinger colors would be nice.

this will be a lot cheaper than the SSR and i think that is where some of these buyers will be hiding.

simply put, there are enough folks who want something to haul motocross bikes with or tow jet skis and this vehicle is a fashion accessory to those with that lifestyle.

i can already see marketing tie ins with that motorsports crowd.

this truck will have a unique set of buyers.

for many, a truck like this is a summer toy and they probably already have another full size truck of some sort they use year round. I know back from whence I grew up, lots of farmers who love hot rods and trucks will be they types who may think of having something like this in the shed all winter and will pull it out for street dances and bar runs on hot summer nights. (Since its a truck, it may be deductible on taxes).

You are so right with this post,Reg.

So is Turbo about the easy 15k/year.

I'm hoping for a wider selection of colors as well. I usually go with black on something like this, but Holden only uses a metallic black and I'm not really a fan of that. Picking a color will be my biggest debate when I order mine.

you're thinking in the box. the pontiac camino will appeal to sportster truck buyers, the ones who do custom work on thier truck, they want the truck image, but they want a badass truck, usually these buyers flock to tacomas. the same that it will appeal to performance coupe buyers, and to buyers who just want something unique. this will not have a problem finding 15k buyers per year.

To add to what you say, the Colorado is, for all intents and purposes, a rolling joke compared to its competition and to the subject of this thread. Now, AFAIK, the ST (or whatever they end up calling it) will only come with the V8, and despite that it should have no problem trumping the 18/24 fuel economy rating of a 4cyl, 2wd Colorado. The return of an El Camino-like vehicle is an idea whose time has come. Need a vehicle that has all the advantages of a car (better performance, handling, fuel economy), yet can handle the occasional trip to Home Depot? This is it. Every one of these are going to sell. Should GM decide to fully implement the Ute here once NA Zeta production starts and offer a full range of content levels, engines, and bodystyles - and the Denali XT shows that they just might be thinking along those lines - it could definitely replace the midzised trucks.

Should GM decide to fully implement the Ute here once NA Zeta production starts and offer a full range of content levels, engines, and bodystyles - and the Denali XT shows that they just might be thinking along those lines - it could definitely replace the midzised trucks.

No complaining here. As I said earlier, a used (hopefully there will be a new one, however) G8 Ute will more than likely replace the Sonoma in my driveway when the funds become available in the future.

Oddly enough, as much as I do like the G8 Ute's styling, I sort of hope they'll have a NA variant with more traditional truck styling (i.e. separate cab and bed) if Zeta trucks are in fact in the cards. I don't know why, though.

No complaining here. As I said earlier, a used (hopefully there will be a new one, however) G8 Ute will more than likely replace the Sonoma in my driveway when the funds become available in the future.

Oddly enough, as much as I do like the G8 Ute's styling, I sort of hope they'll have a NA variant with more traditional truck styling (i.e. separate cab and bed) if Zeta trucks are in fact in the cards. I don't know why, though.

That isn't likely to happen unless Holden revives the One-Tonner for Australia. Personally, I'd rather have a Silverado than one of those - the separate bed really ruins the concept for me.

:scratchchin: You know I never considered this variant of the G8 until I remembered I need to replace the TURD (Corolla AWD wagon that was rear ended and totaled) so I can carry my Airsoft gear instead of jamming all the gear into my Trans Am as I am doing now. In profile it looks sweet and this car will get noticed. I wonder if it will handle as good as the sedan. Anyone know how such a car would handle based on sort of past history. Is the rear lighter because there is less weight?

So, think about this.

If PONTIAC is CAR.......(NEW ad campaign)....

then why are they planning on selling a TRUCK?

LOL. THAT's not gonna EFF with anyone's mind is it?

i bet the ad campaign was done and good and literally in the last couple months they decided, 'oh, let's add the truck'.

Edited by regfootball

So, think about this.

If PONTIAC is CAR.......(NEW ad campaign)....

then why are they planning on selling a TRUCK?

LOL. THAT's not gonna EFF with anyone's mind is it?

i bet the ad campaign was done and good and literally in the last couple months they decided, 'oh, let's add the truck'.

It's a car truck, though....a 2 seat coupe with a large trunk. :)

yep it's definitely a sports coupe with a pickup bed. that's probably the angle they'll hit on.

As far as the performance, princSD, check out edmunds.com for a full review on the Aussie version, I beleive it may have even been the last gen, but it was a recent article. short answer, they loved the performance.

yep it's definitely a sports coupe with a pickup bed. that's probably the angle they'll hit on.

As far as the performance, princSD, check out edmunds.com for a full review on the Aussie version, I beleive it may have even been the last gen, but it was a recent article. short answer, they loved the performance.

It was the new one.

Thanks, I will check it out.

:scratchchin: You know I never considered this variant of the G8 until I remembered I need to replace the TURD (Corolla AWD wagon that was rear ended and totaled) so I can carry my Airsoft gear instead of jamming all the gear into my Trans Am as I am doing now. In profile it looks sweet and this car will get noticed. I wonder if it will handle as good as the sedan. Anyone know how such a car would handle based on sort of past history. Is the rear lighter because there is less weight?

hehe maybe my friend should look into one to carry his stuff in. ever seen a PSG-1 hanging out in a ford ranger? (raises hand) I has hehe

:ph34r:

gotta be careful though he sometimes comes here cause hes a closet GM fan

hehe maybe my friend should look into one to carry his stuff in. ever seen a PSG-1 hanging out in a ford ranger? (raises hand) I has hehe

:ph34r:

gotta be careful though he sometimes comes here cause hes a closet GM fan

HeHe,

A couple of months ago I got pulled over for speeding by CHP and I ahd all my gear right there in plain view in the rear hatch of the TA packed to the ceiling. CHP asks, "Are you going archery hunting? I replied, "no I am going to an airsoft event". He said that was cool and told me he would not give me a double fine ticket for speeding. I have to beleive the airsoft thing gave me a break. Still my ticket came out $384. The whole thing was embarrassing and stressful because I did not know if the cop was gonna be a cautious seeing gun cases in the hatch. Where does your friend go for airsoft. Anyhow, back to topic.

HeHe,

A couple of months ago I got pulled over for speeding by CHP and I ahd all my gear right there in plain view in the rear hatch of the TA packed to the ceiling. CHP asks, "Are you going archery hunting? I replied, "no I am going to an airsoft event". He said that was cool and told me he would not give me a double fine ticket for speeding. I have to beleive the airsoft thing gave me a break. Still my ticket came out $384. The whole thing was embarrassing and stressful because I did not know if the cop was gonna be a cautious seeing gun cases in the hatch. Where does your friend go for airsoft. Anyhow, back to topic.

the closest outlet we had for a long time was Airsoft Atlanta, now we got a place here in Anderson called battle cat sports. they charge about $30 more than they should for guns so the local guys that dont know any better are kinda getting ripped, they sold a buddy of mine just getting into the game a cyma and told him it was a TM mp5 but i digress, they are opening an indoor/outdoor field in an old warehouse they are renovating. other than that the 10 or so of us usually head out into the woods behind our houses for skirmishes, used to start around 1700 and go til the next day but here recently we are only finding time for 1 day or afternoon games since everyone is out of high school with jobs.

Late 2009 as a 2010 MY.

Camino, have you read DeLorenzo's rant (AutoExtremist) on the G8 Sport Truck. Basically he is saying this thing should stay in Australia and is hoping cooler heads will prevail before 2010 and remain in Australia, let alone come over here as a Pontiac. It's an amusing read and he is full of himself this time, but I still have to read his column every Wednesday.

Camino, have you read DeLorenzo's rant (AutoExtremist) on the G8 Sport Truck. Basically he is saying this thing should stay in Australia and is hoping cooler heads will prevail before 2010 and remain in Australia, let alone come over here as a Pontiac. It's an amusing read and he is full of himself this time, but I still have to read his column every Wednesday.

Haven't read it.

I usually enjoy his stuff, but it seems we part ways on this. That's fine, he can eat crow later.

Haven't read it.

I usually enjoy his stuff, but it seems we part ways on this. That's fine, he can eat crow later.

Yeah, odd... but whatever.....IMHO, let Chevy and Saturn do the mass market FWD generics, let Pontiac have several niche RWD products...

I really hope they bring the Crewman (4 door version) too because as much as I love this vehicle, I just couldn't justify buying something without a back seat

Well, I'm in the same boat as you (needing 4-doors for family hauling), but I'm praying that GMC comes through and offers a production version of the Denali XT concept. However, if I could manage with a 2-seater I'd be all over my own G8 ST in a heartbeat!!!

Hmmmm, GM has noticed that on the major blogs for the Pontiac G8 ST, general public opinion is running very, very negative against this vehicle.

Maybe a large percentage of that is disinformation you and your minions are planting? :)

Mr. Burns and I, even saw your vain, oops, I mean, valiant attempts on Autoblog today to try to garner support for it! :smilewide:

Hardly vain, more like valid - unlike the buffoons who's arguments were based on nothing.

I have noticed that those who hate it tend to post first, and then the tide turns - so stay alert.

Hardly vain, more like valid - unlike the buffoons who's arguments were based on nothing.

I have noticed that those who hate it tend to post first, and then the tide turns - so stay alert.

Matters not now, those that needed to see it, already have, and they were not amused. I'm sure someone is getting reamed right now in Melbourne, Detroit and even a few in New York, respectively. :AH-HA_wink:

Matters not now, those that needed to see it, already have, and they were not amused. I'm sure someone is getting reamed right now in Melbourne, Detroit and even a few in New York, respectively. :AH-HA_wink:

Well there's an asinine approach to judging the product.

Wait until they sell out faster than the sedan, and then talk to me.