Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

New York '08 Preview: 2010 Pontiac sports truck

x10pn_g8003_opt.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/14/new-yor...m-wants-you-to/

After more than two decades, the ghost of the El Camino has finally risen from the grave, at least for U.S. drivers. It never actually went away in Australia. Now that the Pontiac G8 has ushered in a new era of affordable rear-wheel-drive performance at General Motors, the car-based pickup truck, or Ute as they are called Down Under, is coming back. Rumors have been flying for months about a G8 Ute and GM even showed the GMC Denali XT concept at the Chicago Auto Show last month – a four-door ute with a two-mode hybrid power-train that may or may not see production.

What we will definitely see in showrooms late next year is the Pontiac G8 Sport Truck. The G8 Ute gets a 6-foot 2-inch long cargo bed behind its two-passenger cab. Compared to the sedan, the pickup has a four-inch longer wheelbase plus two more inches hanging behind the rear axle. The box that's unified with the passenger compartment comes with a color matched soft tonneau cover to enclose the 42.7 cubic feet contained within the composite bed. That's nearly double the volume of the late and unlamented Chevy SSR. The G8 can haul almost 1,100 lbs and tow 3,500 lbs, that latter figure also 1,000 lbs more than the SSR.

This time around GM isn't skimping on the power in the initial offering, with immediate availability of the 361-hp 6.0L V8 from the G8 GT sedan. That will push the G8 to 60 mph in about 5.4 seconds. No word yet on whether they will offer up the 3.6L V6 as a base engine, although that does seem likely whether its the direct-inject version or not. There's even 8.5 cubic feet of room inside the cab behind the seats to protect valuables.

You might be wondering about that rather lame G8 Sport Truck name. Since so many people were clamoring for GM to bring the Ute to the U.S., the company has decided to let fans name the new vehicle. They've set up a site at www.pontiac.com/namethiscar where you can submit your ideas. The winning name will be announced on April 15. We imagine "El Camino" has already been entered.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've made my submission. Let's see what happens ...

I submitted Pontiac Custom-S! :smilewide:

I know this is off subject, but thank you for finally getting a sig that my eyes can digest with the joy of a nine-course meal. Before, my eyes only vomited after each viewing ... :P

And might I ask, how do those waffles taste by the way? :smilewide:

Edited by YellowJacket894

I know this is off subject, but thank you for finally getting a sig that my eyes can digest with the joy of a nine-course meal. Before, my eyes only vomited after each viewing ... :P

You're welcome. :P

Back on topic, you gotta love how edmunds has already knocked the ST by saying it'll probably just collect dust on the showroom floor.

Waffles? You do know this car will be scrapped after I'm done? :AH-HA_wink:

Waffles? You do know this car will be scrapped after I'm done?

And I'm sure you'll find your way onto a few people's hit lists. :P

Between this, the GXP, and the yet to be released Solstice Targa... I can't say I've been this excited about Pontiac in a very long time. Or any new vehicle, for that matter. I really want to go up to NYIAS to see them up close in person if I'm able to justify it (a trip to NYC from Brookville is going to be mighty expensive with the fuel chugging Cutlass and I'm pretty sure my Mom's Sunfire is out of the question). I wonder if I'll be able to hitch a ride from someone who'll be going and can justify a detour to Brookville... Anyone? I'll pitch in 50% for gas! :D

I was wondering if Borger would swoop in here and knock the smiles off our faces, and sure enough...

One of these with the 3.6L would be perfect in my garage.

I don't know how, what I'm going to do with my company car, has anything to do with knocking the smile off your face, let alone the due off your lily? :AH-HA_wink:

I was wondering if Borger would swoop in here and knock the smiles off our faces, and sure enough...

One of these with the 3.6L would be perfect in my garage.

Shouldn't let someone have control over whether you smile or not. Thats giving someone WAY too much power, especially if you've never met them.

Now, back to cars. This thing is cool. Camino, its your day buddy. Enjoy it! I am rooting for the G8 and all its variations to sell well. I really like the looks of this. Now when do we get the Crew Cab GMC version?

Okay enough of the life talk.

As for this G8 truck...I can see the coolness, and we've all known about it for a while. I just still can't help but be skeptical about the real-world reaction to it. Maybe it really will take off, but the whole car/truck market is very odd and has yet to do well, so we'll see. Then again, nothing a proper price AND marketing can't help immensely...even if it calls for making people feel like they're living a bit "in the Outback" by buying such a vehicle.

Okay enough of the life talk.

As for this G8 truck...I can see the coolness, and we've all known about it for a while. I just still can't help but be skeptical about the real-world reaction to it. Maybe it really will take off, but the whole car/truck market is very odd and has yet to do well, so we'll see. Then again, nothing a proper price AND marketing can't help immensely...even if it calls for making people feel like they're living a bit "in the Outback" by buying such a vehicle.

I can see it being a hit in some geographical markets, not so much in others. Basically, wherever pickups abound, expect to see a fair share of G8 STs. Not many pickups? Not so many STs.

I think I just came up with a potential name... be right back. :scratchchin:

I was born in Germany, that's east of the Chesapeake Bay! :smilewide:

But you spent the majority of your cognitive development in Texas, which is west of the Chesapeake Bay. :smilewide:

Now lets stop putting others down. That's just not right.

Edited by K.C.

But you spent the majority of your cognitive development in Texas, which is west of the Chesapeake Bay. :smilewide:

That's why I know what I'm talking about! :AH-HA_wink:

Now lets stop putting others down. That's just not right.

I'm not putting anyone down, I'm bringing those east of the Chesapeake Bay, up! Besides it has more to do with those that live in D.C. (lawmakers), than anyone else. :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

I can see it being a hit in some geographical markets, not so much in others. Basically, wherever pickups abound, expect to see a fair share of G8 STs. Not many pickups? Not so many STs.

I think I just came up with a potential name... be right back. :scratchchin:

Agreed. Should be a big enthusiasts draw and then--if steadily and properly marketed--attract a lot of other people who like the sport vs. utility factor.

Of interest, looking to a blog I do daily where the main guy focuses on "the everyday driver and cars", he really likes the idea, and so far the generally very skewed commentary (unless it's a Honda, Nissan, Toyota, etc.) is positive:

http://thehollywoodextra.blogspot.com/2008...port-truck.html

I wonder what the sales expectations are for the ST?

Motor Trend writes, "Target audience? The warm "smile states," people with motorcycles and wave runners and the like." I can tell you that Los Angeles is full of these types. In the suburbs, it's not uncommon to see 3-car garages attached to homes that are much smaller than you'd think. These garages are full of motorized toys (not necessarily sports cars) while the Crew Cab Ram, F-150, Tahoe or Escalade for towing these toys is parked in the driveway or on the street. These vehicles towing the motorcycles, jet skis, and ATVs are almost never regular cab trucks. Even though many of these people are DINKS (Dual Income No Kids) with lots of discretionary income (or at least a lot of credit) it's doubtful the 2-seat ST will be attractive to these people because of its lack of functionality for carrying friends, etc.

At $29K this just seems like a budget Corvette alternative for people who don't mind the hick image. Probably not going to attract much attention in Southern California.

BTW, I like the name "G8 Sprint."

A thought from the Autoblog comments section...

Will having the ST and the G8 sedan in the same showroom negatively affect the sedan's "BMW fighter" image? Therefore, is it possible that the sedan will reach fewer buyers than it would have if the ST wasn't around?

If BMW can get away with creating monstrosities like the X6 and not scarepeople away from the showroom (or the Z4 for that matter) I'm sure a pickup car with the front end of a G8 will do little to hurt the sedan.

I'm sure no one called tha Baja redneck or worried if it would hurt teh Legacy or Outback's image...

In fact it didn't...it just sucked.

Edited by Dodgefan

people are not getting what kind of smackdown performance this little truck has. re-read the edmunds article on the Maloo and you'll see what even edmunds, with thier southern california mentalities, feel this will do. it's a performing beast, that will help give it a different image from any baja. it'll be more like a performance coupe with a cool pickup bed....that'll fit surfboards, ATVs, have plenty of towing power, etc. It will find homes, and cultivate a cool image what with all the neck-snapping ability.

EDIT: when does this come out?

Edited by turbo200

For people who don't "get" this vehicle... turn your heads while those of us that do, revel. I named it "Sprint", if only to cast a vote AGAINST this misguided movement to name it "El Camino".

Ha, I almost voted for "El Camino" since that's what people are going to call it anyway. I went with "Transport".

A thought from the Autoblog comments section...

Will having the ST and the G8 sedan in the same showroom negatively affect the sedan's "BMW fighter" image? Therefore, is it possible that the sedan will reach fewer buyers than it would have if the ST wasn't around?

Sure... For people who are too ignorant to understand the true reason for buying a BMW in the first place.

The existence of the G8 ST should in no way detract from the performance of the G8 for logical people who actually know a little bit about the dynamics of the car. And after all, these cars are made for enthusiasts.

I think the ST will either sell very well if people embrace the functionality (Likely, given the downsizing that will happen for the foreseable future) or it'll flop based on ignorant image assumptions. I applaud GM for taking a risk with 'a concept' that could be HUGE in a few years if GM can find a way to get more copies of it to the states.

The image will largely depend on 1) how the media spins the truck and 2) what demographic GM tries to appeal to. They can appeal to people who remember the excellence of the original El Camino or they can appeal to my generation (most of us LOVE old muscle cars, even if we aren't car people) But I'm willing to bet Gen X will be completely turned off.

Of course, every 'new take' on an old concept is met with mixed praise. Even the VW beetle has it's fair share of haters. (Me included) that ironically like the old version.

FWIW, I don't like it as much as the Denali XT concept, but I think it's cool.

EDIT: 1) I agree with Turbo200 100% 2) If this thing does fail, can we use that capacity for a coupe 60 based GTO? :D

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM