New York '08 Preview: 2010 Pontiac sports truck

The main target audience for the ST consists of those who remember and love the El Camino

Really, that leaves people in our age group who are from late 30's to late 50's, you know the people with families. The only people like us that would want it are those of us with no kids. Not many like that in our age group. :AH-HA_wink:

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, that leaves people in our age group who are from late 30's to late 50's, you know the people with families. The only people like us that would want it are those of us with no kids. Not many like that in our age group. :AH-HA_wink:

I am talking about the core market here, the automatic sales engendered by the design. El Caminos have rarely been primary cars for most folks, they buy them because they love them rather than for the utility. This in no way excludes buyers who want that utility, nor the younger demographic that simply likes the style and has no need for a family car. I know of quite a few 20 somethings that are already planning on buying an ST.

In short, the ST has a wide appeal in that different buyers have different reasons for wanting one, but the early adopters will be Camino fans like me.

I am talking about the core market here, the automatic sales engendered by the design. El Caminos have rarely been primary cars for most folks, they buy them because they love them rather than for the utility. This in no way excludes buyers who want that utility, nor the younger demographic that simply likes the style and has no need for a family car. I know of quite a few 20 somethings that are already planning on buying an ST.

In short, the ST has a wide appeal in that different buyers have different reasons for wanting one, but the early adopters will be Camino fans like me.

Well you know what they say about 20 somethings, young, dumb and full of, well you know how the saying goes! :AH-HA_wink:

you mean like all those regular cab F-150, Silverado, Ram, Tundra buyers?

Well you know what they say about 20 somethings, young, dumb and full of, well you know how the saying goes! :AH-HA_wink:

I'm wondering how you will spin things when the ST sells at capacity. When the G8 lineup and the Solstice Targa are hits, you might find some resistance to murdering Pontiac in the name of your grand plan.

Knowing the general car buying public as I do, I don't think I have much to worry about. :AH-HA_wink:

We shall see. But working against success from within is an underhanded thing to do, and counterproductive. Wanting to damn the current approach and sabotaging it before it starts smacks of an arrogant hubris.

well im a small minority here, but im in love with the ST, and the concept of the ST, and the last elky rolled off the lines 3 years before i was even BORN.... trust me PCS, you may be suprised by the people that want this car... alot of sheep like kids my age really like the pics of it ive shown them.... its getting postive attention... and ive said it before.... if its possible, i WILL put my money where my mouth is

well im a small minority here, but im in love with the ST, and the concept of the ST, and the last elky rolled off the lines 3 years before i was even BORN.... trust me PCS, you may be suprised by the people that want this car... alot of sheep like kids my age really like the pics of it ive shown them.... its getting postive attention... and ive said it before.... if its possible, i WILL put my money where my mouth is

sheep2ku1.jpg

Baaaaa! :smilewide:

The main target audience for the ST consists of those who remember and love the El Camino, a mark the ST hits precisely. The SSR, on the other hand, missed that mark by a considerable margin.

The ST is aimed at the people who bought El Camino's that were replaced with the S10. GM then went to the Colorado that many S10 buyer refuse to buy as they are crap.

The ST offers to many what the Colorado fails to offer. A good solid vehicle for light hauling with car like qualites and a better dam interior. The Colorado is outfitted like a 82 Camaro. That would be ok if it was 1982.

Many S10 buyers have had to go to the HHR and other brands to get what they want or something like it.

The bottom line is for all GM has invested this will do them well. Now if they had to do this from the ground up for only the US market it would have been a poor move.

I know GM will make some moves with the light pick up market we have not seen before. The Denali LT and the ST could really evolve into a market not seen before. Others have been looking at it too with the Ridge line and BAT. If anyone can pull it off is GM or another US truck maker as people will make the change due to high gas prices as over $3 is finally making them look.

• 4 weeks later...
hopefully we dont have to wait long to find out....

Camino... do you fear as i do? 97.6765678% probably chose El Camino

Not quite. I could see El Camino getting a slim majority, but not an overwhelming one. The way I read the rules of the contest, I don't think GM has to go with a majority vote anyway. They just have to choose the name from among those submitted - no matter how many "votes" it got.

They'll give it a name the marketing guys like.

Not quite. I could see El Camino getting a slim majority, but not an overwhelming one. The way I read the rules of the contest, I don't think GM has to go with a majority vote anyway. They just have to choose the name from among those submitted - no matter how many "votes" it got.

They'll give it a name the marketing guys like.

You are correct.

It will be a name they can approve as a good image, legally own, that won't offend and sound acceptable. No odd ball meaning apply.

I would not be suprised if El Camino wins in popularity but still not get used. I just don't see Pontiac using a Chevy name when they are trying to convince they are not just a fancy Chevy. If they want to be set appart they need to use a original name.

I submitted Travoi. It is not much for sound but it does have good meaning. It is the thing the native Americans used to drag behind their horses to haul their tee pee and supplies. You see them in the movies as the two poles with a buffalo skin between. Kind of a Indian pick up.

I would really like to see Transport used again. GM still has the rights to it and it is a little old and a little new image.

Ity will be a while before we get the name. The lawyers have to do their work after the Marketing guys narrow it down.

Edited by hyperv6

You are correct.

It will be a name they can approve as a good image, legally own, that won't offend and sound acceptable. No odd ball meaning apply.

I would not be suprised if El Camino wins in popularity but still not get used. I just don't see Pontiac using a Chevy name when they are trying to convince they are not just a fancy Chevy. If they want to be set appart they need to use a original name.

I submitted Travoi. It is not much for sound but it does have good meaning. It is the thing the native Americans used to drag behind their horses to haul their tee pee and supplies. You see them in the movies as the two poles with a buffalo skin between. Kind of a Indian pick up.

I would really like to see Transport used again. GM still has the rights to it and it is a little old and a little new image.

Ity will be a while before we get the name. The lawyers have to do their work after the Marketing guys narrow it down.

It's "travois" , with an "s" at the end. :AH-HA_wink:

Interesting name.

A big fat "NO" to Transport - blech.

I really like Tomahawk...Such a shame it is most likely still owned by Dodge. Chances are good my lone submission would never get noticed (if any of these submissions are actually getting noticed...)

It's "travois" , with an "s" at the end. :AH-HA_wink:

Interesting name.

A big fat "NO" to Transport - blech.

Come to think of it The name I sent in did have a s at the end. The wife sent this one on under her name.

I thought it sounded 4n did have a meaning that fit with the Pontiac name. It was not just fabricated name. Also I would expect no one owns the rights to this one.

At the rqate they are choosing names we will end up with something crazy or as bad as Vibe. What is next the Pontiac Temble?

Come to think of it The name I sent in did have a s at the end. The wife sent this one on under her name.

I thought it sounded 4n did have a meaning that fit with the Pontiac name. It was not just fabricated name. Also I would expect no one owns the rights to this one.

At the rqate they are choosing names we will end up with something crazy or as bad as Vibe. What is next the Pontiac Temble?

I believe that "travois" is French.

I believe that "travois" is French.

I assumed as much as many native American words have French origins.

Many things here in Ohio are still use the traditional Indian names since the 1700's. Many have French origins.

Edited by hyperv6

• 2 weeks later...
I just though that Pontiac Canso might be an interesting name. It's from the name of the old Acadian Chevy II.

While an unknow and odd name to Americans it should have as good as of a chance as any. I am sure GM still owns the rights and that is half the battle.

• 3 weeks later...
I think It Not Right That GM Is Going To Give Us A Water Down Sport Truck We Want The Real Deal .All You Have To Do Is Move The Steering Wheel Over To The Left Side Change It From HvS R8 Maloo To Pontiac G8 GxP Sport Truck and start a all out horsepower war ford and dodge want have a chance . and i have my check ready

Did that hurt you to type that as much as it hurts me to read it?

-RBB

• 2 months later...