New York '08 Preview: 2010 Pontiac sports truck

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were a GMC, Sprint would be fine - but not for a Pontiac.

Same thing with El Camino, it would just be wrong.

This is a Pontiac, so I went with a Pontiac name when I entered the contest.

I'll buy it no matter the eventual name and just be happy that it gets a real name instead of the Alphanumeric crap.

If it were a GMC, Sprint would be fine - but not for a Pontiac.

This is a Pontiac, so I went with a Pontiac name when I entered the contest.

hehe but wait, hemmings muscle machines had one of these in the issue a few years ago...

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/pontiactn/ohc6.pdf

"The new SOHC I6, the brainchild of Pontiac Chief Engineer John De Lorean (who became Pontiac's general manager in 1965), was available in an economical one-barrel carbureted, 165 hp version that was standard equipment on all Pontiac intermediates except GTOs. Optional on all Tempest and LeMans models except station wagons was a Sprint package that included a hopped-up four-barrel version of the 230 in³ OHC six that also included higher compression ratio and hotter cam, resulting in 215 horse power, along with an "all-syncro" floor-mounted three-speed transmission with Hurst shifter, suspension kit, and body striping."

wikipedia

the last year was 1969 which saw it grow to 250 ci making 230hp and 265 ft/lbs but it wasnt called the lemans sprint anymore was it PCS?

i think sprint would work fine even though it could get confused with the gmc moniker.

I submitted the name GTX. I'm sure it's been submitted already... I didn't put my name with it though... I don't need to be on Pontiac's mailing list.

My train of thought was that the "coupe" of the G8 would be GTO meaning 'Gran Turismo Omologato'

So the truck version could be GTC for 'Gran Turismo Camion' however the 'C' would be very confusing in the US market. So, I defaulted to GTX since it crosses over several markets.

I almost think G8 sport truck is the most professional sounding name so far. I just saw a G8 in person for the first time, I'll give some impressions later in the right thread, but suffice to say this is one serious car. the best looking car in GM's stable, imo. The seriousness of the car negates names like Syclone or Custom-S, creative as they are. I like your ideas, and I like that you're not just naming it some standard. I think this car needs a break from the past too. Whatever it gets named, it should be stealth, take a bite out of you, and not recall anything Pontiac.

pardon the thought, but isn't it slightly disturbing that Pontiac chose to let us help name the truck? ...i.e. they have no clue what to name it and that letting the fans name it could be a collosal failure and a cover up for marketing incompetence?

Aside from that, the ST is fine by me for a name. Can we get the sportwagon too?

I agree they should probably take the Escalade approach with naming this vehicle, such as Escalade ESV Escalade EXT.

You'll have the Pontiac G8 Sedan...

Then Pontiac G8 (fill in the blank) for the truck...

If the GTX doesn't give warm fuzzies... then how about GTU? U is for Ute

proposed:

G8 GTX

G8 GTU

G8 GT-Ute

I agree they should probably take the Escalade approach with naming this vehicle, such as Escalade ESV Escalade EXT.

You'll have the Pontiac G8 Sedan...

Then Pontiac G8 (fill in the blank) for the truck...

If the GTX doesn't give warm fuzzies... then how about GTU? U is for Ute

proposed:

G8 GTX

G8 GTU

G8 GT-Ute

Sounds like the old Chevy Beretta names.

I've always wanted the utility of a pickup bed, but as much as I like the Ram it really is massive for something I'd hardly ever use, and the midsize trucks aren't very appealing to me either. This would. Something spoty and good looking that returns decent fuel economy, it's fun to drive and easy to live with everyday, but needed to haul something like a dishwasher, there's the utility of a bed. What's not to love? If they could fit an AWD system of some sort in there they could increase the appeal even more.

Hey ocn, forget the HHR, how about replacing your Sierra with this?

To my way of thinking, Pontiac's history with the Sprint name is entirely negated by GMC using it on vehicles of the same configuration. Besides, this vehicle is defined by performance not the thrift of the Pontiac OHC straight six.

When I chose a name, I asked myself this question. What name would exemplify a Chevrolet icon being reincarnated as a Pontiac? And then, what name could symbolize a product renaissance at Pontiac?

That led me to only one conclusion: Phoenix.

To my way of thinking, Pontiac's history with the Sprint name is entirely negated by GMC using it on vehicles of the same configuration. Besides, this vehicle is defined by performance not the thrift of the Pontiac OHC straight six.

When I chose a name, I asked myself this question. What name would exemplify a Chevrolet icon being reincarnated as a Pontiac? And then, what name could symbolize a product renaissance at Pontiac?

That led me to only one conclusion: Phoenix.

That name was damaged by the X car that wore before.

And look what you own, let's not talk at all!

You paid how much for yours? I paid nothing. Again, you drive a Grand Prix... If you want to talk about perceptions... Let't talk. Otherwise, you have no room at all to talk about this vehicle. So shooo... Find something else to spread your delusional, hypocritical thoughts on, mmmkay?

Edited by blackviper8891

You paid how much for yours? I paid nothing. Again, you drive a Grand Prix... If you want to talk about perceptions... Let't talk. Otherwise, you have no room at all to talk about this vehicle. So shooo... Find something else to spread your delusional, hypocritical thoughts on, mmmkay?

You get what you pay for, I guess that's why your Olds won't even get you to the New York Auto show. How sad. :AH-HA_wink:

I can see that, didnt think about that.

BS, very few people remember that car ( or the Nova clone that wore the badge earlier). The Sport Truck would be the most appropriate use of the name yet.

if it was true about a damaged name then i know why the 04-06 GTO's failed

74_00062_1.jpg

oh snap! hehe

Edited by cletus8269

I can see that, didnt think about that.

if it was true about a damaged name then i know why the 04-06 GTO's failed

74_00062_1.jpg

oh snap! hehe

I actually like the '74 GTO.

The bit about No Va is BS, the car actually sold well in Latin countries. You have to give hispanics enough credit that they can distinguish between Nova meaning "exploding star" and No va, meaning "does not go".

I can pretty much afford to buy and waste whatever I want. If you work hard, perhaps someday you will be able to do so also.

I'm cheap. It doesn't matter if I make $10k a year or $100k a year, I'm always going to be cheap. I'm too much like my Grandpa. :P

As for names, I doubt most people remember past the 80's on vehicle names, besides the really, really, really bad ones.

Do you have political ambitions?

You've got that obfuscation thing down pat! :AH-HA_wink:

When I was last home in Delaware, I was asked by my state senator to run for the state senate. I was told the party ran my polling numbers and my ratings were high both with men and women demographics.

I am heavily involved in Party Politics at home in Delaware, however I politely declined the invitation to run, I explained my job function and that I would rarely be home with the role I have been assigned in GM. Besides, I much prefer internal GM politics, to any at home in Delaware. Although Senator Börger does have a nice ring to it. :AH-HA_wink: